• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure we can fairly judge the quality of Monogatari's writing without considering it in its original language (and more so than for other shows since it's mostly rapid-fire, delivery dependent dialogue). Any takers? The stuff available in English is put out by amateurs working as quickly as possible--no disrespect to them. Rough subtitles combined with the cut-up nature and visual bombardment of the show can make it hard to absorb, and from what I can tell, it's the combination of all the elements put into it that make the show strong rather than a single defining feature like "witty dialogue."

What I can glimpse at seems pretty cool though, so I'll give this vampire romance show the benefit of the doubt.

Andrew J.

Monogatari is low-tier in terms of SHAFT asset reuse. There were episodes in Natsu no Arashi! that seriously used like ten different backgrounds, some already repurposed from previous episodes, and somehow still made it work on the strength of the character interaction. It was like watching an animated stage play.(

Exactly. SHAFT has always been extremely presentational. Maybe it's just because representational verisimilitude is expensive, but making a realistic world for the characters and plot to inhabit is not one of their priorities at all.

cnet128

Banned
Not sure we can fairly judge the quality of Monogatari's writing without considering it in its original language (and more so than for other shows since it's mostly rapid-fire, delivery dependent dialogue). Any takers? The stuff available in English is put out by amateurs working as quickly as possible--no disrespect to them. Rough subtitles combined with the cut-up nature and visual bombardment of the show can make it hard to absorb, and from what I can tell, it's the combination of all the elements put into it that make the show strong rather than a single defining feature like "witty dialogue."

What I can glimpse at seems pretty cool though, so I'll give this vampire romance show the benefit of the doubt.

This is why it makes me sad that some people can't understand Japanese.

The thought that people may not be able to fully appreciate the <3<3<3ness of NisioisiN's dialogue due to the language barrier pains me deeply. Perhaps kayos should have my pity rather than my gaping disbelief.

cajunator

Banned
I though :cajun extended to how characters acted as well.

Only one person can settle this...

It can. Depends really. Some characters arent super adorable looking like Makise Kurisu (compared to Mayuri and Faris nyan nyan) but her personality is very very cute in a way. Some characters are meant to be ugly but are pretty adorable to me.

Hyperdimension Neptunia - 1

Why arn't real console this moe?

My Pikachu N64 was pretty moe!

n64-pikachu1zqyzy.jpg

This is my official quarterly plea for other people to watch Natsu no Arashi! :(

I'm tempted to rewatch Natsu no Arashi to balance out the tepid impressions around here. Feels like we're probably the only ones who loved the first episode. It begins with a part 2 people! Of course it's going to mess with your head a little, just enjoy the ride!

everyone itt that watched yuyushiki should totes read the manga

Would people believe me if I told them I liked it for the silliness instead of all the yuriness? Either way sold!

At least I learned something.

I only wished you learned to love silly banter, if not in monogatari at least enjoy it elsewhere. Oh well.

Daybreak Illusion has the problem of coming after Madoka? Really it comes down to that. Its edgy and dark and Madoka left such an impact on the genre that any show like this will be seen as an also ran.

Nah, even if Daybreak Illusion was aired in a Madoka free world it still wouldn't be that good. I've never even watched Sailor Moon but even I can understand that dark magical girls have been around for a long time.

The Eccentric Family Episode 2 – Mom and Raijin, God of Thunder

The landscapes are so good painting quality, especially the ones during the scene with Yajiro in the well. Focused directly on the family made this a really good episode for me and way better than episode one, rather enjoyed everything that happened.

cajunator

Banned
I'm tempted to rewatch Natsu no Arashi to balance out the tepid impressions around here. Feels like we're probably the only ones who loved the first episode. It begins with a part 2 people! Of course it's going to mess with your head a little, just enjoy the ride!

Would people believe me if I told them I liked it for the silliness instead of all the yuriness? Either way sold!

I only wished you learned to love silly banter, if not in monogatari at least enjoy it elsewhere. Oh well.

Nah, even if Daybreak Illusion was aired in a Madoka free world it still wouldn't be that good. I've never even watched Sailor Moon but even I can understand that dark magical girls have been around for a long time.

In a Madoka free world something else would fill that void. Eventually something similar would come along. Daybreak Illusion isnt it though.

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi 16
Serves them right for being assholes to Majo Rika. Poor Doremi though. Dat NTR.
Also Pop's affinity to the other sex is truly frightening. I feel sorry for Doremi's mom for having to deal with that and her lazy husband.

cnet128

Banned
Servant x Service 2

The OP for this show really is one of the best this season, I really like it.

Show itself is fun, too. Flashback mini-Touko was adorable as fuck.

Tenumi

Banned
God I can't wait to see it on Toonami.

Assuming I even have the strength to stay up to 2 AM, its gonna be fun hatewatch for me...

Mass-bannings. Now I remember why I don't post in AnimeGAF anymore.

I'm too much of a background character to get banned :p
I hope I never get banned. I'll be a good girl, I swear!

Hyperdimension Neptunia - 1

Why arn't real console this moe?

Are we sure they aren't? Maybe the reason Xbox can't sell in japan is its lack of Moe.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
IN MEDIA RES IS A PERFECTLY VALID WAY TO START A STORY. I AM GLAD WHEN AUTHORS DON'T ASSUME THAT THEIR AUDIENCE ARE MANBABIES THAT NEED TO BE SPOON FED.
I have little problem a story starting in the thick of things, but in both Dusk Maiden and Natsu no Arashi there is little meaning to the entry point. It doesn't start somewhere significant, it simply throws out a forgettable situation before immediately going back the next episode to begin appropriately.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Are we sure they aren't? Maybe the reason Xbox can't sell in japan is its lack of Moe.
Well they are usually designed to be sleek and snazzy. Perhaps one could say the PURPLE GCN is moe because it is petite and PURPLE, but that's about it.

Syrinx

I didn't realize Neptunia started. May watch if the attitude toward it seems positive. I was mildly interested in the games, but the opinions on those seem mixed at best.

I didn't realize Neptunia started. May watch if the attitude toward it seems positive.

There's not much point to it if cute anime girls is not your thing. And if you bear a huge hatred for boobs.

It's just some stupid fun, and I found it okay for that. Definitely better than the aggravating adaptation of Danganronpa.

Watching it because of reasons.
HanaKana, Asami Imai

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Genshiken Second Season 02
I wish this show was lewder, but I am willing to settle for what they give me.

I don't think Daybreak Illusion is as "edgy and dark" as people are painting it. If anything, I'd say it's a pretty bland show and the mechanism they have set up for the magical stuff is fairly simplistic (for now, at least).

It does share some superficial aspects with Madoka, I guess, but that's not really a criticism.

That's because it's World Embryo, not Madoka.

Attack on Titan 14

The new ED is pretty awesome, the new OP sucks balls and not just because it followed the best OP of the spring. Honestly if they had switched the OP with the ED I would have been much happier.

The actual episode wasn't much of an episode, lots of not animation in the first half followed by lots of mouths moving in the second half. Honestly I feel last weeks recap episode should have been incorporated into the trail, would have flowed much better.

Really excited to see the... "animated" expedition will be cool to see titan land in animated form.

cnet128

Banned
Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou 2

Yeah, this show continues to be determinedly dark and all crazy magical and stuff, but it's not really doing much to set itself apart or tell an engaging story. There's still time for that to happen of course, since it still feels like we're very much in introductions-mode, but Madoka this ain't.

At least this episode gives us an excuse to pair Akari and Luna together, though. (Sun and Moon...you know it makes sense.)

Li Kao

Ok, I'm still a casual anime fan at best (like 'em, don't really watch 'em) and I had the urge today to check what's new this season. Unfortunately, and that's not a critic, I can't make heads or tails about the OP. Like reading something really cool and fun but missing the first 80 episodes :-S

So I will ask the consensus about some banners that caught my eyes.

Are...

Blood Lad
Gatchaman
Servant x Service
Silver Spoon
Uchoten Kazoku

...good ?

Other suggestions greatly appreciated, please no prank suggestion ( '°~°)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom