• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

I like this guy. My new Corvo.
Corvo hasn't been banned for a day and is already replaced. :(

A man is but a position to be filled and replaced as needed.
image.php

Nudull

Banned
Found some anime that I wanted to try out while raiding the local library, earlier today. :3
Which do you think I should tackle first: Tsubasa, Haruhi Suzumiya or Azumanga Daioh?

Found some anime that I wanted to try out while raiding the local library, earlier today. :3
Which do you think I should tackle first: Tsubasa, Haruhi Suzumiya or Azumanga Daioh?

Only seen Haruhi out of those three... so I can recommend that one. It's got a pretty interesting premise, and it's up to you whether or not you like the execution.

I liked it. (For what I've seen)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Natsu no Arashi! 01
I appreciate the commitment to arbitrary time travel rules in the face of being used in the most mundane ways imaginable. This uh...doesn't seem like a good starting point though. There's no real catch here, but at least it was entertaining and devoid of debasing long winded explanations. Will watch more for the indiscriminate use of both boy and girl bellies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Monogatari is low-tier in terms of SHAFT asset reuse. There were episodes in Natsu no Arashi! that seriously used like ten different backgrounds, some already repurposed from previous episodes, and somehow still made it work on the strength of the character interaction. It was like watching an animated stage play.

This is my official quarterly plea for other people to watch Natsu no Arashi! :(

I read the manga and it sucked though

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Azumanga is amazing, and pretty much the blueprint for most of today's high school slice of life comedies. My vote goes to that.

JordanN

Banned
Squid Girl 9

Well that's an interesting way to introduce a new (hopefully recurring) character. Really hope they don't forget about Kiyomi in future episodes. It's nice to see Squid Girl get a real friend, too. :D

EDIT: Oh my god

wMVPKoQ.png

CHU
Kissing and Chu? She must be a vampire.
fYVoADW.jpg

You're wrong about the first episode of Arashi anyway, so who cares what you think! NYAH.
Too dangerous, I might become a narcissist.
I guess you can't get a hype train going without a conductor.
Still, it's basically the most cursed hype (ghost) train
twofold pun aww yeahhhh
that I can think of:
nothing.
Somebody watches an episode and hates it.

The passion in this post is strong.

I will most definitely watch this show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Natsu no Arashi! 01

I appreciate the commitment to arbitrary time travel rules in the face of being used in the most mundane ways imaginable. This uh...doesn't seem like a good starting point though. There's no real catch here, but at least it was entertaining and devoid of debasing long winded explanations. Will watch more for the indiscriminate use of both boy and girl bellies.

YOU'RE OUTNUMBERED NOW, FIREHAWK.

EPISODE ONE IS A POOR REPRESENTATION OF THE SHOW. It is known.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Haruhi is the worst anime ever made, so skip that.

Azumanga Daioh has had a lot of influence on the industry, but the art is really bad early digital stuff, so be careful.

don't know much about Tsubasa.

Monogatari Second Season 2

It's now when I finished the episode, I can notice how little has happened, plot wise.

We had
-the gratuitous ecchi shower scene,
-some witty (?) lines between the two characters,
- then the cat gets out, we found the tiger apparition is already haunting her,
-and some more dialog about how Hanekawa likes everything so it can't be said she truly likes something (including Arararagi?).

End of episode. And people say Shingeki no Kyojin is slow and with filler moments. Hah!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Blame Takeuchi.

Spoiler: She LOVES that hairstyle.

You know for a fact that Takeuchi designed
human!Luna
? The way that Toei shits out stock villain designs for their annual audience exploitation films, I'd be surprised.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You know for a fact that Takeuchi designed
human!Luna
? The way that Toei shits out stock villain designs for their annual audience exploitation films, I'd be surprised.
Actually,
I don't. Human Luna DOES appear in the manga(under different terms), and Nehelenia is as depicted in the manga, but what came first I don't know off hand. I just know that there ended up being a manga side-story version of the S movie.

synchrololis..... bananas...

QIG4mR2.jpg

This anime should be banned. Pathetic pandering to a a very questionable audience.

Let me begin by saying that Sword Art Online is a hateful, terrible, awful product that was so bad that I will take pains in my life to avoid anything the guy behind it makes, including Accel World.

That said, the first half of Sword Art Online was kind of okay. It was dumber than can be, but if I was a teenager I'd've been okay with it.

The SECOND HALF of that show is like if someone took a gigantic shit all over your room, then killed your pet and made art noir with it in the middle, then crammed your face into it will slapping your mother and screaming "I'M DEEP AND SUBTLE" again and again into a megaphone with an inexplicable third hand. This person would not stop until you admitted that having sexual interest in your sister was a legitimate and not messed up thing.

I hate the second half of SAO so, so much. Like, as in I may not consider it a product of sheer malice and hatred that was made by people who have no love for humanity and only want to steal your money and hurt your soul like Gundam 00 and to a lesser extent Gundam AGE, but SAO's second half fills me with such rage to just think about. It wasn't even a GOOD train wreck like Code Geass or an enjoyable one like Valvrave. It's like if someone put everyone you loved onto a train, lit it on fire, through gasoline coated puppies into the flaming engine for fuel, and crashed it into a wall made of nuclear explosives and then forced you to watch it on endless repeat while Rebecca Black's "FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY" played continuously with the sounds of your dying loved ones remixed into a dubstep background.

It is a literal Katamari of anguish and hatred which begins at episode 14 and rolls and rolls, and rolls and the longer it goes more and more and more reasons to hate the show accrue. Some people may be like "What did ______ ever do to you?" Well Sword Art Online, the second half in specific, did quite a bit of awful.

And in case anyone is wondering, I am fully afraid that I will need to purchase and study a thesaurus to express with flourishing vitriol my anger towards Astral Ocean if that show doesn't fix itself.

. . . But Kirito isn't an actual character. He has no personality traits. Anthy Himemiya has more personality than him in her very first episode than he does in his ENTIRE SERIES.

UNLESS YOU CALL PRAISING A MASS MURDERING PSYCHOPATH CHARACTER.

BY THE WAY SWORD ART ONLINE ENDORSES, APPROVES OF, AND ACTIVELY ENCOURAGES YOU TO LOOK UP TO A MASS MURDERER.

Doesn't your sister watch that show, too?

I agree Kirito is possibly one of the worst characters in anime. Its basically as people have said a character created so that otaku could self insert themselves into his shoes, but I do want to point out that the in the first season he ain't that bad.

Basically, don't watch it with her once she makes it to the second half.

Thing is she's already finished it. Its a non issue though because one of the "reasons" teenagers seem to like this anime so much is that they perceive it to be a great romantic story between Asuna and Kirito and thats probably why she likes it but yeah I don't want to sit watching sword art online anymore. My mind can't take that shit. Every second watching that shows makes me guilty that I've just wasted a second of my life watching that show.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Squid Girl 12

Man. The only thing stopping the tears was the knowledge that I still have a whole season and several OVAs to go. Otherwise...;_;

I love this show so much.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Actually,
I don't. Human Luna DOES appear in the manga(under different terms), and Nehelenia is as depicted in the manga, but what came first I don't know off hand. I just know that there ended up being a manga side-story version of the S movie.

Ah, I see. Probably Takeuchi, then!
Nehelenia's design is way better

I don't know why I'm even saying this, but I saw the Hearts on Ice VHS for a dollar at a thrift store recently and almost bought it for anime hipster reasons.

• Natsu No Arashi 01 - Playback Part II
Okay I have to like this for Mad Pierrot's sake. I must. I mu...

the flowers holy shoot the flowers. I must stay strong.

And the OP. lewder than James Bond. 2 minutes in. Staying strong.

Oh my grosh the protag is an outie. Ku ku ku kah.

I'm totally feeling the SHAFT in this. Get your mind out of the gutter, you dirty hentai-sans.

Browsing the CR comments are telling me that this isn't a real first episode. I'll just soldier on and attempt to understand from here. If this is one of those long term pay-off shows... Well alright then. I'll work harder then. Will continue cautiously.

Wohoho special effects! and a transformation sequence! What in the... wait no way. Time travel? Aww yiss. Time Travel's like my favorite plot device, no sarcasm. Suddenly interested.

cWqI9ov.png

This time travel aspect is pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to actually learning what it's all about.

So what I can tell from this series is that it's not like something like SoreMachi or Nichijou (I know, KyoAni) with immediate payoff for the comedy or the story. But the premise even with how confusing it is in the first episode is still pretty interesting. Will watch some more soon.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Man, I've kind of gotten myself wanting to rewatch Natsu now. Sounds like a fine use of my Sunday.

Thoraxes

Monogatai S2 - 02

Besides the sweet opening, I find that the warmth in my heart comes from finally getting to hear lots of smooth-talking Senjougahara in all her negativity/positivity, dominating personality, frankness, and condescending demeanor. This season is super-awesome so far and I can't wait for the rest of the chapters now. There's some really great stuff coming up, and nothing gets me going like more SHAFT.

Have to say, Corvo's comment on SAO is making me scared to watch it. o.o

SAO is heavily polarizing, but you'll never really know for yourself what you think of it till you watch it. It's just a shame that now your opinion of it is so colored by the anti-SAO bias that floats around here.

It's an enjoyable show, which doesn't always mean GOOD, but I think it's inoffensive, really.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So it's like Dusk Maiden?

In a frightening number of ways, yes.

WRONG PEOPLE ARE WRONG. ALWAYS WRONG.

WHY DO PEOPLE INSIST ON BORING PREMISE PILOTS, ETC.

PILOTS SET EXPECTATIONS. THEY DON'T NEED TO BE EXCLUSIVELY EXPOSITORY, BUT THEY CAN'T BE SO DETACHED AND EXPERIMENTAL THAT THEY ALIENATE THE VIEWER.

YOU KNOW WHO ELSE THOUGHT HE WAS RIGHT? HITL........er, somebody else already went there tonight, so maybe not.

SAO is a show with nice art and animation and poor writing, i don't get the need to be XXXXTREEME about it.

The animation, especially during fights, was very disappointing in SAO. For an action show about people trapped in a game, it manages to have worse fight animations than many other action shows I've seen.

The art design is amazing though.

Jex

Monogatari Second Season 2

It's now when I finished the episode, I can notice how little has happened, plot wise.

We had
-the gratuitous ecchi shower scene,
-some witty (?) lines between the two characters,
- then the cat gets out, we found the tiger apparition is already haunting her,
-and some more dialog about how Hanekawa likes everything so it can't be said she truly likes something (including Arararagi?).

End of episode. And people say Shingeki no Kyojin is slow and with filler moments. Hah!
You think -monogatari stories are about plot advancement? That's never been the case.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Squid Girl S2 1

New OP is awesome. Great to see Kiyomi made it in. And Goro's lifeguard buddy, as well. As for the episode itself, yeah, it was pretty good. Animation looks slightly nicer than S1, as well. I also really didn't expect this much :sdburton from this show. :lol Even if it's just from Sanae.

Love this show. :D

In a frightening number of ways, yes.

PILOTS SET EXPECTATIONS. THEY DON'T NEED TO BE EXCLUSIVELY EXPOSITORY, BUT THEY CAN'T BE SO DETACHED AND EXPERIMENTAL THAT THEY ALIENATE THE VIEWER.

YOU KNOW WHO ELSE THOUGHT HE WAS RIGHT? HITL........er, somebody else already went there tonight, so maybe not.

I cannot bear to lose the Light of El Cantare, especially just after being enlightened on the goodness of Natsu no Arashi.

Narag

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 150

The Amazoness Quartet is no Amazon Trio in terms of likability, but I like the angle Ikuhara is going for here with them being
either a) children reaching puberty who remain in denial to grow up or b) gymnast adults with a childish mentality

I always thought the Amazon Trio were this rejection of emotional maturity hence how easily they were willing to use and discard people while the Amazoness Quartet was more a rejection of physical maturity and the childishness demonstrated was a result of that.
What do I know though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom