• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Overall series was a deconstruction of what we though Mahou Shoujos were, and it was pretty much explained that Madoka's wishes became more powerful each time Homura went back in time to prevent everything from happening. This is even shown in episode 10 in regards to how long Madoka lasted in each time period, implicating that her wishes made her stronger and stronger each time. It's not really a DEM considering it builds up to it. The clean and idyllic ending is just to reconstruct it back into Mahou Shoujos as we know it.

(Madoka Spoilers)

Given five additional minutes to process the ending, you're right, it does just devolve back into a normal Mahou Shoujo show. Brilliant. Bless you based SHAFT. I'm still of the opinion that harvesting Mahou Shoujo powers for...what...electricity? is borderline idiotic. I'm willing to forgive it on the basis that there have been far worse setups for far worse Mahou Shoujou shows before though. The show ending up as a standard Mahou Shoujo show is genius though.

What a steaming pile of also-ran crap Daybreak Illusion is.

I endorse this post.

I'd like to add my shaking head to the proceedings.

Shingeki no Kyojin's new OP is fine in my opinion. It's the ED that sucks compared to the old one.

But the really good news is that there was no recap and the story moved at an utterly satisfying pace. The beginning part was a slideshow but aside from that, the episode was greatness. Titan is back on track, yo!

Syrinx

Hyouka 21

I think I hate Satoshi now. Thought it was really shitty that he put such an act together just to get out of accepting Mayaka's feelings or rejecting them. It's cruel to Mayaka, and as Oreki points out, it's cruel to Chitanda. Was he really going to let Chitanda bear the guilt of letting Mayaka's chocolates got stolen? He should have aborted immediately when he saw her beating herself up over it.

And then he gives this really lame explanation about how he's grown out of being the very obsessive person he used to be and that he doesn't want to become obsessed with Mayaka and return to being that person. Answer: learn discipline. And even if you do become obsessed, there's a big difference between being obsessed with somebody you love and being obsessed with winning at a fucking video game. It probably isn't a good thing to be obsessed, but being afraid of that doesn't seem to be a good excuse to avoid a relationship, especially one you claim to want to be in.

And apparently this was the day Satoshi had to give Mayaka an answer. So he did the whole "they got stolen!" thing to buy himself some more time. C'mon dude. Just be up front with her. If you're not ready to give an answer, tell her so. Don't go putting her (and Chitanda) through shit like that.

(Madoka Spoilers)

Given five additional minutes to process the ending, you're right, it does just devolve back into a normal Mahou Shoujo show. Brilliant. Bless you based SHAFT. I'm still of the opinion that harvesting Mahou Shoujo powers for...what...electricity? is borderline idiotic. I'm willing to forgive it on the basis that there have been far worse setups for far worse Mahou Shoujou shows before though. The show ending up as a standard Mahou Shoujo show is genius though.

What a steaming pile of also-ran crap Daybreak Illusion is.

Doesn't Madoka have the standard Mahou Shoujo setup?

Only that Urobuchi uses
"heat death of the universe"
idea as setup. Not sure why people are complaining about it so much.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Monogatari S2 2:

Damn, Senjou with that rhetorical mindfuck. Talk about brutal in defending what's hers.

Blood Lad 02
Beelzebub 01 (Rewatch)

It's about delusional high school delinquents in a school of delusional high school delinquents taking caring of a demon baby. So yeah...this is my kind of show. The first episode is a great introduction to the main cast as well as the show's sense of humor.

Can't wait for episode 2's review where I rephrase this review and embed a different gif.

i1JhOWsXKVYDq.gif

Oh
fuck
, I forgot to mention how incredible the OP is. Also this song is by the same group and is also totally awesome.

Beelzebub had to be one of the most disappointing adaptions I've ever watch.

I will admit though that I enjoyed watching the episodes with Aoi.

trejo

Fate/Magical Girl Not-An-Old-Hag Lyrical Ilyasviel Prism Something Or Other

Man, as if I wasn't on enough government lists already.

I'll give it one more episode.

LordCanti

Doesn't Madoka have the standard Mahou Shoujo setup?

Only that Urobuchi uses
"heat death of the universe"
idea as setup. Not sure why people are complaining about it so much.

I wouldn't say that an ultra serious tone and graphic violence are necessarily the staples of the Mahou Shoujo genre. It was pretty refreshing, and the art style was fantastic. All I'm saying is that if an (Madoka spoilers)
advanced super race of beings needs to harvest Mahou Shoujo powers in order to sustain itself, something has gone horribly horribly wrong. I want to have been in the pitch meeting where someone stood there and said "Okay guys, you see this weird cat thing? Yeah, he collects Mahou Shoujo powers on behalf of an ancient and incredibly advanced space faring race. Why? Uhh.....because they need energy, that's why. I need your best animators, and all your money. Thanks."

Monogatari S2 2:

Damn, Senjou with that rhetorical mindfuck. Talk about brutal in defending what's hers.

She's got to battle all the other Mahou Shoujo's for Araragi's affection. Some require staplers, others require sick burns.

I agree with this sentiment

doki doki precure 24

digging kugaloli as a loli as a mentor figure.

Her henshin is probably the best out of the franchise as well lol.

Either that or everyone else's in DDPC is so bleh that Ace sticks out like a sore thumb.

Kurita

What was wrong about it again? I haven't watched it but I always hear it was bad. Like it just stopped following the manga or something?

I wouldn't say that an ultra serious tone and graphic violence are necessarily the staples of the Mahou Shoujo genre. It was pretty refreshing, and the art style was fantastic. All I'm saying is that if an (Madoka spoilers)
advanced super race of beings needs to harvest Mahou Shoujo powers in order to sustain itself, something has gone horribly horribly wrong. I want to have been in the pitch meeting where someone stood there and said "Okay guys, you see this weird cat thing? Yeah, he collects Mahou Shoujo powers on behalf of an ancient and incredibly advanced space faring race. Why? Uhh.....because they need energy, that's why. I need your best animators, and all your money. Thanks."

Well,
this is exactly the point of the heat death of the universe idea if the universe is a closed system then it will be the end of all lives if all energy is converted into heat energy.

All the magic stuff (like using the standard maho shoujo concept that the evil guys using human emotions as energy source) is something you must accept if you watch or read a story about magic - even Kyubey basicaly says "deal with it".

What was wrong about it again? I haven't watched it but I always hear it was bad. Like it just stopped following the manga or something?

Way to much bad filler for me.

And this is coming from someone whose experience with Studio Pierrot is from watching Naruto.

So are you both telling me I'm going to love the manga because I did enjoy the anime.

Manga > Anime

If you have time you should check it out.

Well Studio Pierrot handled it, so there's part of the problem. Then there was the fillers on top of the fact that personally, it started way too soon, it was like a year or less since it started that it got a manga. That's a sign that the adaptation will be terrible.

So are you both telling me I'm going to love the manga because I did enjoy the anime.

Yes

Monogatari The Second 2

Second show today where the first five minutes is the best of the show, so titillating!

Also dat grilling at the end

cnet128

Banned
Blood Lad 2

New character is fun. Plot seems to be actually progressing somewhat (it looks like we might have
an actual lead on a way to resurrect Fuyumi
, though somehow I doubt it will be that simple). Show continues to be worth watching. Also hasn't descended into battle mode yet.

Acosta

Love Lab is FUN, love it! I laughed hard with the first episode.

Inu to Hasami is... dunno what to think to be honest. Super weird premise, super weird characters and I have no idea where all that leads.

Caught with Attack on Titans to 14, what the hell they did with the entry song? the new one is horrible and the first one was so amazing... I still enjoy the show, but it has lost quite a bit of impact for me since the first episodes, I think the pace got too slow.

About Madoka.

I didn't have problems wit the energy thing, I have seen that stuff since Sailor Moon, is not something that puts me off about the premise. My only two moments where my suspension of disbelief were a bit shacked was at the last episode, one with the mother letting Madoka out, not in 1000 years I could understand a mother letting her only daughter go outside in middle of a emergency and is not like Madoka used a great argument either. And then I always had problems with Madoka making such a sophisticated wish, but both are minor nitpickings, the show was incredible, hope to find time to rewatch it on Blu-Ray

What does one have to do with the other?

Because that's what the franchise is. It's like filming a bunch of teenagers talking about school life and stuff and then getting sidetracked by the holes in their socks. Or maybe not because that would actually be more interesting than anything in the entire Monogatari franchise.

Jewelpet Kira Deco 1

So many gags in this episode, it's rather hilarious. I mean shit, Jewelpets were created by the power of dance, that's fucking amazing.

Princess turning into stone because her favorite disco ball was destroyed. Showing what GoGo dancing is in the middle of the class? Oh boy it's the police, eh lets eat pudding first.

I laughed a lot during this episode. Was expecting our human characters to show up right off the bat though, but that's different from Jewelpet Happiness I guess.

LordCanti

Psh, a real fan would be aghast at how shaft has handled that property.

They do the best they can with what is essentially 30% wordplay, 30% inner monologue, 10% fanservice, 10% action, and 20% assorted nonsense.

Edit: I accidentally a number.

This place is no longer welcome for me. Time to pack it up and go camp out in the BLOPS2 thread.

You should have accepted tsundere love into your heart.

Pacific Rim doesn't have Shinji, so it's good. Plus Mako was moe~

As a Gainax fan that thinks Evangelion shit the bed in the final few episodes, and as someone that never liked Shinji to begin with, I like the cut of your jib.

Articalys

Kaminai ep.2

Okay, I'll stick with this for a bit longer. Could be interesting.

Also I feel ashamed that I could recognize the new character's voice from somewhere but didn't realize it was Keiji Fujiwara until I looked it up afterwards.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
They do the best they can with what is essentially 30% wordplay, 30% inner monologue, 10% fanservice, 10% action, and 20% assorted nonsense.
Does anyone actually believe Nise, Nekomonogatari, or Bakemonogatari S2 is the best Shaft can do? Like...seriously?

Dresden

Edit: I accidentally a number.

Their 'best' is churning out ugly, poorly made shows. Give them a pass in regards to writing if you must, but everything else is inexcusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom