• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

RE: Gargantia

When I reflect on the series I generally feel that it was a fairly solid show but the differences in approach Gen Urobuchi's vision of the show and Kazuya Murata's vision of the show are quite notable although it's obvious that Murata's approach dominates, Let's not forget about the animators who really wanted to draw the female members of the cast in as little clothing as possible.

I think it's interesting that episodes 8 and 9 sit side by side and demonstrate two different approaches to the world. I certainly prefer episode 8, Seperation which deals with
Fairlocks funeral and serves to flesh out Ridget's character.
It focuses on the most interesting part of the series, for me, which is the culture and the setting. Episode 9, Deep Sea Secret, is more focused on revelation, shock and plot. It's certainly effective in it's own way but I certainly prefer the tone and scope presented to us in the previous episode.

Call it
tumblr_mjmjmyg6aN1qg4eewo1_500.gif

Edit: oh screw you kirbyguy lol

Hahahaaaaaaa

How about You're a stupid smuch as you've somehow funded more of this nonsense

A wild Casualty appears!

Don't watch K-On for goodness' sake.

That means watch it in jman language.

Pooya

I'm guessing the Steins;Gate VN has no release date yet? I'm a big sci-fi fan and want to see the anime but was told that the game focuses more on the sci-fi elements.

I haven't played the game so can't say about that. The anime is quite sci-fi still, this is probably not the sci-fi kind you're thinking though, the lab is entirely silly. It's mostly just characters talking in a room and then stuff happens. I think the anime is quite good by itself if you can look past the first 8-10 episodes or so and some bad content they might have which can give a poor impression with its super otaku material. It's a pretty good story if you stick with it and I really liked the characters by the end. I think the anime mostly looked decent too and episodes end on a cliff hanger of some kind always make you interested to see what happens next, pretty good and appropriate direction for a story like this.

Necrovex

I'm guessing the Steins;Gate VN has no release date yet? I'm a big sci-fi fan and want to see the anime but was told that the game focuses more on the sci-fi elements.

The VN goes into some insane details about the Quantum Mechanics, and the Everett Wheeler Model. The anime goes a little in depth about it, but because of the medium, it is quickly glanced upon and continues on with the overall story.

Plus some stuff that happen in the anime that seem a little weird is fully explained in the game. Major half-way spoilers:
Such as the reason Okabe is never killed during any of his time leaps. I didn't know the full reason until I played the VN.

subtles

Thanks. While I haven't read the spoilers, I'll wait for the VN as it seems to be the better package. I also have quite the backlog of anime, Anohana and Madoka being the most prominent.

Dynedom

RE: Gargantia

When I reflect on the series I generally feel that it was a fairly solid show but the differences in approach Gen Urobuchi's vision of the show and Kazuya Murata's vision of the show are quite notable although it's obvious that Murata's approach dominates, Let's not forget about the animators who really wanted to draw the female members of the cast in as little clothing as possible.

I think it's interesting that episodes 8 and 9 sit side by side and demonstrate two different approaches to the world. I certainly prefer episode 8, Seperation which deals with
Fairlocks funeral and serves to flesh out Ridget's character.
It focuses on the most interesting part of the series, for me, which is the culture and the setting. Episode 9, Deep Sea Secret, is more focused on revelation, shock and plot. It's certainly effective in it's own way but I certainly prefer the tone and scope presented to us in the previous episode.

I think Separation might be my favorite episode of the series. I went into detail about it before but I agree. It's all about the culture in that episode and all the little touches. Metaphors and whatnot.

Well it did, Leonard really served no purpose in the series.
made it seem like it was going somewhere but nope just ends right there.

You can blame KyoAni for that for never continuing the animated universe. :(

Who's Pol Pot?

Some opera dude from Britain's Got Talent.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Did Conan's post have some kind of bannable insult that was edited out by a mod? I don't think I've heard someone use the word "smuch" in my entire life.

Dynedom

I started with Sea of Stars actually, someone told me it was a nice prelude to the main series and I'd have to agree. It introduced the main characters and gave a little taste of both the military starfleet battles and the political games behind them. The main series starts somewhat in medias res, while Sea of Stars cadres it ab ovo, which I prefer.

I watched Sea of Stars for the first time before I re-watch LOGH last year. Really helped bring me back into the universe. I think you made the right choice.

Might do a similar thing and watch Spiral and Hundred Billion before diving into the main series again. LoGH jumped back onto my yearly anime re-watch list.

That means watch it in jman language.

Do watch K-ON. It's fun.

Who are you?

Welp, might have to give this one a go finally.

/XX/

Monogatari is low-tier in terms of SHAFT asset reuse. There were episodes in Natsu no Arashi! that seriously used like ten different backgrounds, some already repurposed from previous episodes, and somehow still made it work on the strength of the character interaction. It was like watching an animated stage play.

This is my official quarterly plea for other people to watch Natsu no Arashi! :(
YOU'RE OUTNUMBERED NOW, FIREHAWK.

EPISODE ONE IS A POOR REPRESENTATION OF THE SHOW. It is known.
I liked the first episode pretty much! You mentioned the idea of this as a stage play, and I think this episode really brings it as a stage comedy of menial matters, that does well in presenting the pivotal point of the series before the characters, making shine the concept beyond the plot and with us there as if we are being their customers spectating the random and lively play as every day. The later episode that throws us back to the same situation and the familiarity once accustomed to the protagonists that goes with it makes the reliving moments even more satisfying!

And the OP. lewder than James Bond.
Man, thanks for offering the excuse to post this (and this) again!

BluWacky

What even happened there? That was so unprovoked.

I don't think it was an insult against Kirbyguy. I think it was an insult against Free! fandom (you plural, not you singular).

As such, bit of a random ban, but there we go. Hard to tell with Psycho_Mantis, he/she's been on a bit of an anime-hating streak of posts recently, and recently with the (very welcome!) number of people for whom English is not their first language I think there have been a lot of wires getting crossed unintentionally (I'm just guessing, but I think the word Psycho was going for was "schmuck").

Speaking of anime, I watched some new things! Sometimes I do actually watch shows instead of just reading what everyone else has to say about them. But not often.

Daybreak Illusion

Outside of the battle sequences it's not particularly interesting. It's not the "grimdark" atmosphere (not that it's really THAT dark) that means it's a Madoka ripoff - it's the spiky sort-of-pre-pubescent character designs, the colours, the off-kilter production styling whenever "magic" things happen.

Makai Ouji

Chiaki Kon directs another fujoshi-by-numbers show for Studio Deen. Perfectly average in every way.

Gatchaman Crowds

Goodness, there are a lot of shrill characters in this show.

Although I like the look and style, and as with [C] the underlying story concepts are intriguing, as I suspected it's just "too much" in a lot of ways. It's too hyper, and Maaya Uchida's endless squealing is hardly appealing to me. I will probably try another episode but I suspect it's not for me.

Blood Lad 02
Beelzebub 01 (Rewatch)

It's about delusional high school delinquents in a school of delusional high school delinquents taking caring of a demon baby. So yeah...this is my kind of show. The first episode is a great introduction to the main cast as well as the show's sense of humor.

Can't wait for episode 2's review where I rephrase this review and embed a different gif.

i1JhOWsXKVYDq.gif

Oh
fuck
, I forgot to mention how incredible the OP is. Also this song is by the same group and is also totally awesome.

Pooya

The shows of this season I'm watching aren't worth ranking overall :\
I like Silver Spoon because of farm life and I can relate to that somewhat.

Beside that, like Bluwacky said about Gatchaman Crowds, I don't think it's for me either. Probably won't watch anymore.

I will still be watching monogatari but I'm not going to defend it or claim it's any good right now. I've watched it so far and I know about the story, it's just a time waster.

Stella C3-bu, I hoped it would be at least somewhat similar to GuP, but so far nope, it looks bad and the shootouts are boring, fantasy sequences aside. I don't think it's any good.

What's left is Fate/Ilya, which I don't think I'll watch anymore, it was somewhat entertaining though if you're into Fate nonsense.

I should probably check out Rozen Maiden and Uchouten Kazoku, no idea about those. I think I might like Rozen Maiden.

so far my ranking then, Silver Spoon > poop > else I watch

cajunator

Banned
The shows of this season I'm watching aren't worth ranking overall :
I like Silver Spoon because of farm life and I can relate to that somewhat.

Beside that, like Bluwacky said about Gatchaman Crowds, I don't think it's for me either. Probably won't watch anymore.

I will still be watching monogatari but I'm not going to defend it or claim it's any good right now. I've watched it so far and I know about the story, it's just a time waster.

Stella C3-bu, I hoped it would be at least somewhat similar to GuP, but so far nope, it looks bad and the shootouts are boring, fantasy sequences aside. I don't think it's any good.

What's left is Fate/Ilya, which I don't think I'll watch anymore, it was somewhat entertaining though if you're into Fate nonsense.

I should probably check out Rozen Maiden and Uchouten Kazoku, no idea about those. I think I might like Rozen Maiden.

so far my ranking the, Silver Spoon > poop > else I watch

Watch Love Lab!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom