• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvrave 7-11
oh god lol, this went from so bad its good to embarassingly awful. Ero Elf and his bullshitonium powers were at least entertaining but trying to take that mess and make it a drama, while also making it more of a mess at an accelerating pace make this a spectacular trainwreck. I kinda want to watch to see how much worse it can get...

Hmm...not the greatest show imo but it's still better than Gundam AGE, which I somehow managed to watch every episode of.

Shergal

Valvrave 7-11
oh god lol, this went from so bad its good to embarassingly awful. Ero Elf and his bullshitonium powers were at least entertaining but trying to take that mess and make it a drama, while also making it more of a mess at an accelerating pace make this a spectacular trainwreck. I kinda want to watch to see how much worse it can get...

I didn't get the impression that they abandoned the early approach in the second half. VVV was always funny and pretty good on its own terms, so I don't think Matsuo and Okouchi would just ditch that appeal and suddenly start trying to take the show seriously.

Jex

YbJZdNZ.png
7Z7ExpD.png

Approved.

fertygo

I didn't get the impression that they abandoned the early approach in the second half. VVV was always funny and pretty good on its own terms, so I don't think Matsuo and Okouchi would just ditch that appeal and suddenly start trying to take the show seriously.

Bingo.. October still so long :(

Jex

Hmm, I see the Bakemonogatari BD's are finally hitting our shores but they seem a little pricey. How much did you American's have to cough up for them?

jbug617

Banned
High School DxD 2

I will cheer for Issei to achieve his dream of becoming a
Harem King
.The back and forth between Issei and the dragon was done well.
I can't wait for the fight between Kiba/Issei and the Church.
Also the boobs are more prominent this episode.

Shergal

Gauche the Cellist
Takahata best Ghibli etc etc.

But really, this was great. The whimsical flourishes in the direction are spot on, and complemented by some very appealing animation as well, which has its own quirks too!
The thing feels like it's just made out of love, and it definitely is, seeing as how it was produced for the art with basically no lucrative gain involved. It's also pretty mind-blowing that the whole film was animated by just one person, Toshitsugu Saida from Oh Pro.

It feels like the sort of thing that improves upon revisits, as it has so many little moments, understated in a very Takahata fashion (although I think he reached his full maturity with Only Yesterday), but with a lively animation style that carries a lot of nuance. I especially liked the entire scene with the cat, which includes the part I linked above, and the part where everyone gets into a riot chasing the rat, but one little kid stops to keep watching the cartoon. Good stuff.

Andrew J.

Kick-Heart

Maybe it's because I haven't seen much of Yuasa's other work, but this reminded me of nothing so much as The Triplets of Belleville...a film which itself I only hazily remember from a single viewing many years ago, but it does leave an impression.

Anyway. This is good stuff! Hyper-exaggerated and stylized, both in character design and animation. It was a bit more sexual than I was expecting, but not so much that it hampered my enjoyment.

Glad I helped Kickstart this.

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 35

I've finished a whole half of this show. :(

Shaoran's face and walking were priceless when they were with Yukito.

What the hell was Sakura thinking using Windy on Firey? It's fire; wind fans the flames. That's how wildfires start. Even the most basic common sense would say to use Watery.

Bakemonogatari S2

I want my Aarraragi back god damn it.....the humour was better with him. I never took this series seriously so I hope they don't get too involved with the love triangles and all that shit.

Jex

Bakemonogatari S2

I want my Aarraragi back god damn it.....the humour was better with him. I never took this series seriously so I hope they don't get too involved with the love triangles and all that shit.

So it can be exactly the same as it was before? I find that it's far more interesting to see the characters interact in his absence as it opens up a wider variety of scenarios.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Not content merely to take his abs, SHAFT erased Koyomi in his entirety this time. Their depravity only grows ever worse.

Aizo

Banned
Valvrave 7-11

Is there any other reason to watch? I really hope nobody thinks its genuinely good.
I can't believe that rape scene. smh

High School DxD 2

I will cheer for Issei to achieve his dream of becoming a
Harem King
.The back and forth between Issei and the dragon was done well.
I can't wait for the fight between Kiba/Issei and the Church.
Also the boobs are more prominent this episode.

Did the tv version of first season has this much uncensored boobs? This season has had a lot of boobs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mangirl OVA
QhKQvqvl.jpg

fsteak.
Welp, a fanservice OVA that has nothing to do with making manga. Why not? lol

y59yjAkl.jpg

I like how they were optimistic about sales of the BD though. People only want to watch Bakuman I guess.

---

Kick-heart
bRuuFRVl.jpg

lol
This was cute at the very least.

Mushibugyo - 15

Mushibugyo%20-%2015.jpg

Best love story ever.

I reeeallly wonder if this version of edo is made of paper or something because part of it is destroyed like every episode at least and the people living in it don't seems to mind that much. This is even more baffling since they took a lot of time to establish the insect magistrate after the original insect attacks ..why ???
Hopefully this crucial timeline will be explained at some point

Now this episode establishs a couple of things.

First the violence went up and they don't seem to want to let it down anytime soon

Second , the new ennemies are much more intresting than the regular insect , because they are far more harder to predict.. it's a shame that they will probably follow the classic route of making them generic

Third , jinbei is what he is , but his father is not the only one responsible , her mother is responsible too for this result.

Fourth , i'm glad that they will change of scenary for the next arc ...i do think however that jinbei is dumb enough to avoid seeing the truth for a long time

Fifth , jinbei mother has to appear at some point during this arc ..there would be a shame if she doesn't

Sixth , The princess being jealous was very cute.

I love that New OP & ED

This is all.

Tenumi

Banned
T_T

My desktop computer is on the fritz, so its unlikely I'm going to be able to watch any anime soon unless I can kick it working. Unless everyone here wants to see me do impressions of early.... Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal. Or Strike Witches Season 1.

T_T

My desktop computer is on the fritz, so its unlikely I'm going to be able to watch any anime soon unless I can kick it working. Unless everyone here wants to see me do impressions of early.... Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal. Or Strike Witches Season 1.

I wouldn't mind seeing more people suffer watch ZeXal.

Space Brothers 65:
Deneil is still awesome. His interactions with Mutta were hilarious throughout the whole episode, and it was amazing when
he just stands up and walks out of the wheelchair and Mutta flips out.
On a less funny note, I also really enjoyed how
Nitta told those guys to stop talking shit about Mutta.

The start of the new training for the characters seems like it will be promising, and the new ending is pretty nice.

JCG

Is there any other reason to watch? I really hope nobody thinks its genuinely good.

Valvrave always was genuinely good at being a crazy show that's aiming for so bad/ridiculous it's good. That's the entire point of its existence.

I don't know how someone can possibly watch and come out of it with the impression the creators aren't aware of it or not doing exactly what they want.

The "drama" isn't even particularly serious in context (
SUPERMARKET!
), though obviously the characters themselves take it at face value.

So I don't really see what's there to be "embarrassed" about which wasn't already present from the beginning.

Did you mean had or has to, guess I was confused by the change of tone, as for the mother
Did I miss something, I thought she is dead? So how would she appear in this arc?

Has.
It's true that "had" would have been proper , but they put her in the opening, so she can't be there without a good reason.

I actually expect one of the 2 things.

1) More flashbacks ( of the mother )

2)
The mother is actually alive and travelling because she wanted too ( or because there is some reason toward the insects ), just when junbei will be in a pinch , she will appear to teach him another technique. ( she is obviously as strong as the father without the nerf )

That flashback was so stupid that i want more of the character , in any way possible.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kiniro Mosaic 2:

I just can't handle this. The dissonance between how the characters look/behave and the high school setting plagues me every moment that I watch, and since this show is just a vehicle for moe girls doing moe things anyway and age is of no concern to the type of audience that enjoys this, it's a baffling choice. Perhaps if the characters weren't all so uniformly pure, innocent, cute fuzzy animals in the bodies of girls I could overlook some of the things that make me uncomfortable, but this show has nothing to offer me.

Dropped.

cnet128

Banned
Uchouten Kazoku 2

It ain't easy being a tanuki. If you're not getting
cooked in a pot and eaten
, you're being
bullied by idiot tanuki from a different clan
or
winding up stuck as a frog
or even just
being terrified by lightning
. Yasaburou seems to get along pretty okay though.

I hope we get to see more of that girl tanuki who was under the bridge at some point. And by "more of" I mean "any of".

CorvoSol

Today's goals:

-Spend more time watching anime and less time thinking about all the games I could buy from the Steam Sale.
-Spend less time watching anime than I do actually accomplishing the myriad tasks I need to accomplish today.
-Don't spend more money on games on steam you can't run because LOL Windows 8.

Aizo

Banned
Valvrave always was genuinely good at being a crazy show that's aiming for so bad/ridiculous it's good. That's the entire point of its existence.

I don't know how someone can possibly watch and come out of it with the impression the creators aren't aware of it or not doing exactly what they want.

The "drama" isn't even particularly serious in context (
SUPERMARKET!
), though obviously the characters themselves take it at face value.

So I don't really see what's there to be "embarrassed" about which wasn't already present from the beginning.

You make it sound like the show doesn't take itself seriously. I disagree. It's just seriously bad. The film "The Room" was made seriously. This is in the same vain, albeit with higher production values.

Metrotab

Banned
Today's goals:

-Spend more time watching anime and less time thinking about all the games I could buy from the Steam Sale.
-Spend less time watching anime than I do actually accomplishing the myriad tasks I need to accomplish today.
-Don't spend more money on games on steam you can't run because LOL Windows 8.

This is a bit pertinent to me because I'm getting a new PC soon: is Windows 8 bad in gaming support? I don't follow those kinds of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom