• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

I don't know, but I saw it in theaters and it was awesome!

I liked Eva 3.33 :(

I liked PARTS of Eva 3. Parts that weren't related to awful characters desperately wishing they weren't, like Kaworu and Mari. Parts that weren't me laughing maniacally at terrible CG cubes. Parts that weren't me groaning over Shinji and Rei's character development being deleted because I don't know.

Basically what I liked about Eva 3.33: The color red and also they made something I hated enough to want to have it turned back in spite of the knowledge it could not be. Which was the point of the story so, mission accomplished.

All hail Corvodamus.

It's the most obvious choice! I mean, why in all of human history did that occur to NO ONE? I get that mankind is a race of selfish bastards, but still.

Also I have a post by fertygo saved for when I do finally break down during AO.

Don't worry, we got one final use in the Fall.

And when I watch the movies because I'm a shill.

• Madoka by Corvo 12 END
This has been a wild ride. When the studio closed down briefly for one night I thought it was all over. But it was so nice seeing this show come back.

I just can't believe how Corvo
turned into a resurrection figure himself. I mean, coming back from the dead? DEUS EX MACHINA.

GgN8nxb.png

I'm going to miss seeing this banner.

Looking forward to the next production of Studio CorvoImpression.
Madoka by Corvo receives a score of
5 Sword Art Online by Corvos
or
3 Count of Monte Cristo by Corvos

YbJZdNZ.png
7Z7ExpD.png

Hahaha, jerk. The action was definitely better than 5 SAOs. Plot twists and depth were good, but I don't know that I'd go with 3 Count of Monte Cristos. Depends on the adaptation, I guess. Gankutsuo was really good, though.

cajunator

Banned
Cardcaptor Sakura 32

So there always seems to be "character X and Y switch bodies" episode, though probably not as often as I think. I enjoyed it, mainly because Kero and Shaoran are pretty much polar opposites in every way. Also they're different species. That always mixes things up a bit. Best part was when Yukito pointed out that Kero (Li) had rather red cheeks for a plush toy. Also when Shaoran (Kero) was running on all fours while playing soccer.

Body switching is pretty common in anime. Its the entire premise of Kokoro Connect!

If you don't care about being spoiled insanely on the story of The Last of Us, I wrote up my full critique here.

I spoiled myself to the story so now I dont need to play it!

That or her mom was really drunk at that point so she thought; "why the hell not?"

Also speaking of Madoka, due to my magic crystal ball, I have a feeling that Corvo shall be returning tonight with more Madoka impressions!

Yaaay *bounces

Golden Boy 4-

igAZhrAcfgpe9.jpg

The wild beast in me awoke as well.

iKy1i5licrJBb.jpg

Heehee. Shes lovely. But yeah its tough to pick a best girl. I like the flowers one cause she was a sweetie.

Yea you missed a lot of the nuances of the game.

This is absolutely absurd.

Are you being sarcastic?

Nope.

Maji de Otaku na English! Ribbon-chan: Eigo de Tatakau Mahou Shoujo 1-2

It's been p. much foerver since I watched an ep of this so I started watching this all over again as a new group picked this up and is starting from the first ep so ヽ(´ー`)ノ

so worth it for yuu kobayashi screaming engrish at the end

this...has a cute girl with cat ears so it merits looking into..

So I don't want to derail the thread with myself overmuch, but since I DID cause one last night, I feel as a member of the community it is only right that I make some apologies and show that I learned a more valuable lesson than my youtube channel might make it sound.

The short version of the lesson is that Hitokage is smarter than me.

The positive side of this coin is that it provided me with a good chance to reflect not only on what I'd done wrong, but how I'd come off to others. This was not the first time I'd done something like this, and being sent to time out to think about what I'd done was well complemented by seeing others spell it out for me without the slightest sugaring.

This was a good analogy both in the sense that it let me know I wasn't alone in feeling odd about it and in pointing out to me that this was a good chance for me to see what others thought and what I needed to fix. And I will be frank: I need to fix that short temper of mine.

This I feel especially embarrassed about. I confess I worded what I said on my channel poorly, and I see why, coupled with my behavior last night, one would get that impression. So let me take this chance to say that what I learned was a little more concrete than that. I took things too far. I don't blame R for it. I needed to exercise self-control and walk away from something that was bothering me more than it should have if I couldn't prevent it from bothering me.

I am sorry not only for the confusion, but also for coming off as an arrogant ass and also last night's melodrama. During which I cannot blame others for seeing me as such, since my behavior was, well, that of an arrogant ass. So again, I am sorry.

Except for this. I thought we were bros, Peaceiscloser! Cajun didn't replace me in the space of a night! Hahaha.

I could just be misreading this, but I understand that my posting in caps can get annoying, and I do occasionally try and reign that in. I want you all to know I don't use capslock, though. I lovingly caress the shift key the whole time I'm ranting. In any case, I apologize for that grating part of my attitude, and will continue to attempt to not make it a larger part of myself on GAF.

So before I get back to my anime impressions, let me again repeat that I'm sorry for what I did last night, and that I have recognized in myself the problem, and will endeavor going forward to fix this problem.

That said:

kixihVY.gif

I have a twitter, too, if anyone ever needs to contact me off of GAF

Corvy kunnnnnnnnnn! *glomps
dont do that shit again! It was silly!

cajunator

Banned
The anticlimactic nature of The Second Raid's ending is because the story doesn't actually end there. Besides that, though, which is fairly understood, what did you think of the series?

Attack on Titan 14
Although there was less action than earlier episodes, there was a decent amount of things going on. Which made this episode fairly good, in my eyes. The plot advanced, and something other than people doing nothing happened. Time wasn’t dilated for the sake of saving money, I suppose. There was a good deal of people standing around and talking, and some stock footage, but I think we can all survive that.

Bunny Drop 11
The toothpisode. Daikichi learns a valuable lesson in what “my own time” means to parents. He also copes with Rin losing her baby teeth and losing a competition. And of course, Daikichi is so Cannot Spit It Out with Nitani that he basically went grocery shopping with her son and all. I can’t believe the series just ends there, though. The manga will probably crush my hopes and dreams, but in my head Daikichi and Nitani definitely hook up in the future.

Looking up spoilers for the manga reveals that it was a good idea that the anime ended where it did. That is literally the only thing I can say about that. It never happened. Nitani and Daikichi got together and raised Rin and Kouki. The end.

Madoka 10

(For reelz this time)

Since I’ve again seen some complaints with regards to my LOLWTFBBQsauce responses to these episodes, I will endeavor to get through this episode without a single WHAAAAAT, WUT, OH, or any other lengthy capslock post. I assume that between the time I watch this episode and the time I post these impressions I will have posted an apology and explanation for such things, but as I realize they still serve as a nuisance to my fellow members of AnimeGAF, I will try to at the very least keep them to a minimum.

Ah, so now we get to see Homura’s past. A timeline in which she was also Madoka’s friend. Alt U Madoka has a funny lisp. Alt U Madoka smiles WAY more than regular Madoka, too. Seeing Magical Girl Madoka in the alternate timeline more or less makes it clear that Madoka won’t ever become one in the real time line, though. The scary part of this episode comes with the realization that in this timeline, Madoka did become a Magical Girl, and that means not only that Mami has survived, but that Sayaka did not become one at all. In other words, Homura’s interference to save one person cost the lives of two others. Oh, nevermind.

The weird thing is how different Madoka is in this timeline. Is she more confident because she became a Magical Girl, or something else? Because Madoka 1 is a pouty wet noodle, and Madoka 2 is a confident, friendly girl. Oh, I wonder if Madoka is wussier as a result of Homura’s wish? “You’ll want to protect Lara Croft” and all that. Also, the Soul Gem emerging from a girl’s chest is in no way reminiscent of guitar’s being pulled from people’s skulls in FLCL or swords from chests in Utena. And just like in those cases, it definitely is not suggestive. No sir.

Oh. Oh my. This isn’t the first time Homura went back in time to save Madoka? How many times has she done this? Has this poor girl been caught in a loop? For how long? Teehee, threw a grenade up a skirt. A lot of times, apparently. That’s horrible.

This scene of her gathering some serious weapons to try is hard core, though. And of course Sayaka would not believe that Kyube used and tricked them. And Sayaka turns into a witch every time? That certainly explains why Homura has given up and tells Madoka to do the same with Kyube. If you think you’ve been down every possible road, it must get frustrating after awhile.

Bit of a tangent, here, but I wonder if, stuck in his eternal time loop like he was, FFI’s Garland/Chaos did not feel a similar kind of frustration after spending so long dying at the hands of the Light Warriors? Maybe he wanted saved, too.

WOW. I mean WOW. Wasn’t expecting her to have to do that. That’s . . . this explains a lot about Homura, actually. This reveal has been very well done. Whoa, suddenly we’re back to the beginning of the show. Does this mean that Madoka wasn’t dreaming? She was remembering the last timeline? I mean, when Homura first experiences it, she compares it to a dream until she sees the Soul Gem in her hand, so what if Madoka remembers it, but doesn’t realize it, since she has no physical evidence and since it is so outlandish she dismisses it as a dream?

OOOOOOOKAY. I know I said I wouldn’t use capslock, but this is something that bears discussion. As I mentioned like, last episode, Kyube’s plan inherently puts the world to waste. What bothers me is that, confronted with that truth, Kyube shrugs it off and says “that’s not my problem.” I mean, hello? Didn’t you give a speech earlier about how the various civilizations in the universe were wasting energy at a hilarious pace and rapidly consuming and destroying the universe? In what way, then, are you not doing the same by wiping out a planet for that sake? Especially when this planet houses a species which can produce the emotional energy your race is using to “save” the universe.
I can’t actually accept that Kyube would be so incompetent as to throw away a world which produces a species which produces the very energy he will need. Quota or not, Earth serves as a treasure trove of energy, and at the very worst, you’d be wise to keep it around in case you needed more. The only possibility, then, is that Kyube isn’t actually doing this to save the universe. Even removing Domon Kasshu’s point that destroying a part of nature is not the way to save nature, Kyube is wasting something he could continue to harvest. I can only conclude that he is either a terrible employee who never cared about his job (in the which case what was his motive at all) or he is still a satanic force, and destroying the world was always his objective, and everything else was part of his plan to create the strongest witch. After all, if Kyube eats the Grief Seeds, then does it not follow that he could hope to eat her?

Playing the OP at the end of an episode that essentially explains a series of events that all take place prior to the beginning of the series was a nice touch.

The Devil Works at McDonalds 1

Picked this as my follow up to Bunny Drop. Odd, but there you go. I really like that the beginning of it seems like an homage to the old, hyperdetailed fantasy anime of yore. Reminded me of Record of Lodoss War. The action sequences are better than SAO by a country mile, too, though I don’t expect there to be many of them in this series.
They’ve adapted to life on Earth pretty fast to be referencing Super Size Me. I mean, that movie came out at least five years ago.

And since you’re all wondering, after only one episode, I’m kinda leaning irrationally in favor of Red > Pink. Mostly ‘cuz Red looks sorta like Cordelia and Pink kinda looks more like Chibi Sailor Moon. But yeah, there you have it. Not bad. This version of the devil seems considerably geekier and nicer than (SPOILERS FOR OTHER SERIES
The Devil Gundam or Kyube.

Episode 10 is one of the best. If you like that sort of thing you will love Steins Gate.
try to imagine having just seen that and the last episodes are DELAYED INDEFINITELY.
Thats when the hype hit the stratosphere.
fuck the olympics.

CorvoSol

Episode 10 is one of the best. If you like that sort of thing you will love Steins Gate.
try to imagine having just seen that and the last episodes are DELAYED INDEFINITELY.
Thats when the hype hit the stratosphere.
fuck the olympics.

Oh is that what happened? Man, that's like, blue balls x10 or something.

What am I fighting forrrrr
3501711_o.gif

Oh man that reminds me that I have to start Zero's side of X4 soon. Little bro and I are playing through. We did X's with Ultimate Armor and just laughed at how pathetically easy the game got.

Is there any show worthy of :corvo now?

I really actually did get a kick out of reading the reviews. What's something as mindfuck as Madoka that you haven't watched yet, Corvo?

cnet128

Banned
Fantasista Dolls - 01

I should have listend to duckroll >_< I'm getting old, I think. This was garbage. I liked the character designs and that's pretty much it. Based Goro has betrayed me. Nothing is explained, nothing makes sense and the main is a bumbling idiot. I don't know who this was supposed to appeal to. Maybe, the people who used to like Cardcaptor Sakura? I mean, they nearly copied Sakura's design for the main.

I'm pretty sure calling Uzume a clone of Sakura is an insult to Sakura.

Not that I dislike Uzume or anything, but...yeah. Sakura is awesome. Uzume is generic.

I could just be misreading this, but I understand that my posting in caps can get annoying, and I do occasionally try and reign that in. I want you all to know I don't use capslock, though. I lovingly caress the shift key the whole time I'm ranting. In any case, I apologize for that grating part of my attitude, and will continue to attempt to not make it a larger part of myself on GAF.

Yeah! Shift key bros! I never touch the Caps Lock key either, even when I'm typing giant rants in all-caps. It just never occurs to me for whatever reason. (Except on my iPad I guess, but tapping the Shift key individually before each letter would be stupidly hardcore.)

I have no issues with your allcapsspam, for the record. I find it entertaining and usually appropriate.

Madoka 10

(For reelz this time)

Since I’ve again seen some complaints with regards to my LOLWTFBBQsauce responses to these episodes, I will endeavor to get through this episode without a single WHAAAAAT, WUT, OH, or any other lengthy capslock post. I assume that between the time I watch this episode and the time I post these impressions I will have posted an apology and explanation for such things, but as I realize they still serve as a nuisance to my fellow members of AnimeGAF, I will try to at the very least keep them to a minimum.

But...but...this is one of the most allcaps-worthy episodes in the whole show! Ah, cruel fate.

Sayaka turns into a witch every time?

Eheheheh.
Urobuchi has no mercy for Sayaka. None whatsoever. He must really hate her.

Playing the OP at the end of an episode that essentially explains a series of events that all take place prior to the beginning of the series was a nice touch.

Obligatory
omg the lyrics are about Homura

The Devil Works at McDonalds 1
Picked this as my follow up to Bunny Drop.

Good choice.

And since you’re all wondering, after only one episode, I’m kinda leaning irrationally in favor of Red > Pink.

Bad choice.

Cardcaptor Sakura 34

Kero seems really worked up about the dream that Sakura had. This "Yue" person he brings up has to be Ms. Mizuki.

Heh, that takes me back. I remember being super-convinced of this theory back when I was a kid and watching this show on TV as Cardcaptors (I DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER OKAY). To the point that every time Ms. Mizuki showed up I was basically shouting "YUE YUE YUE" at the screen.

One Piece Film Z Part 2 END

3DcMt.jpg

This...looks suspiciously like heresy.

Loli Nami is godly and YES.

GgN8nxb.png

The Eleventh Episode

What kind of bar has a painting of the Sistine Chapel hanging above the bar?

:Shaft

Body switching is pretty common in anime. Its the entire premise of the first arc of Kokoro Connect!

Fixed that for you.

YAAAAAAAY Corvo finished Madoka! Let's celebrate by watching this English version of the OP that I made back when it was airing! </shamelessselfpromotion>

YAAAAAAAY Corvo finished Madoka! Let's celebrate by watching this English version of the OP that I made back when it was airing! </shamelessselfpromotion>

"they're not artists because they don't play guitar!"

Good stuff, excellent interpretation of the lyrics. hehe

oh and also MADOKA SPOILERS
Sayaka actually DOESN'T turn into a witch every time, I think but that's a part of the Puella Magi Oriko Magica manga

Rozen Maiden (2013) - 1
As an introductory episode that was planned to condense an entire manga storyline into 24 minutes, I'd say this was a good way to do it. There's quite a lot of info to get across to the viewer and it's delivered in a moody, visually interesting manner. By the end, I definitely felt compelled to see more.

CorvoSol

Is there any show worthy of :corvo now?

I really actually did get a kick out of reading the reviews. What's something as mindfuck as Madoka that you haven't watched yet, Corvo?

Um. Hm. I dunno? I guess it's back to watching terrible mecha anime for me.

Arrow through errthang

Yup. Kinda surprising that Black Zero doesn't get any special power, though.

He's kind.

I guess this is something I have to look up, now?

Yeah! Shift key bros! I never touch the Caps Lock key either, even when I'm typing giant rants in all-caps. It just never occurs to me for whatever reason. (Except on my iPad I guess, but tapping the Shift key individually before each letter would be stupidly hardcore.)

I have no issues with your allcapsspam, for the record. I find it entertaining and usually appropriate.

I do the shift because it kinda physically corresponds to the mental increase in emphasis or volume. Capslock doesn't really make me feel what I'm typing.

But...but...this is one of the most allcaps-worthy episodes in the whole show! Ah, cruel fate.

It was defs cray.
Eheheheh.
Urobuchi has no mercy for Sayaka. None whatsoever. He must really hate her.

Oh word,
Sayaka gets like, zero bonus at the end of the show. What was up with that?
Obligatory
omg the lyrics are about Homura

Good choice.

Is this what I get for not paying attention to OP lyrics?
Bad choice.

Pshaw. Emi > Chi already. But I kinda prefer fiery tsunderes to perky wacky girls.

Pshaw. Emi > Chi already. But I kinda prefer fiery tsunderes to perky wacky girls.

FLEZXCU.png

MADOKA SPOILERS
Gen Orobuchi said:
"This was something that director Shinbo proposed at one of the dubbing sessions, that Sayaka Miki could've been kept alive in the story. But my conviction was that in order for the audience to really understand why Madoka became a God at the end, it was important that she die. After all was said and done, Shinbo said to me that the amount of responsibility placed on a middle school girl may have been too much. We explore that more in the movie."

CorvoSol

This feels like NTR. Why is Spacebar-chan cheating on her true love Thumb-sensei?

Thumb-sensei's wrestling career has been tearing at Spacebar-chan for years. Index-sempai drops by with Middle-kun every once in awhile and spices up her lonely housewife life.

JordanN

Banned
Hyperdimension Neptunia The Animation - 01
We made it to Windows 7 guys.

I entered with low expectations but the episode was actually enjoyable. Maybe the first anime that's better than the game.

CorvoSol

I guess the Backspace key is the tsundere? "I-Idiot! You shouldn't even be here. Don't think I'm happy to see you or anything!"

Escape is the yandere Ojou, though. She has her clique of Ctrl Alt and Del.

The mouse is that girl in highschool that everyone claims slept with the entire football team. It takes the whole hand to please her.

Kagami

Silver Spoon 1

I'm still catching up on last season, but for summer I'm going to check out:

-Some sort of agricultural thing I will probably drop faster than I dropped FMA

Welp.

Yeah I could barely keep awake through one episode.
Definitely not for me.

Fairy Tail finally getting good, I was starting to be a little disappointed because of how quickly the battles ended (Erigor, Lullaby, Natsus vs Erza) and felt like the plot was going nowhere (Natsu + Erza + Gray actually not the strongest team, Erza getting arrested was itsfuckingnothing.gif) But then they introduced Mysterion and Lexus. Finally it seems that the story is starting to go somewhere with the Cursed Island thing. Hope I'm not let down.

Kurst island is one of the best arcs. Still great to rewatch, then the second canon arc from there is my second favorite in the series, such good fights are coming.

Articalys

Okay, I think my Summer watching list has stabilized at 12 shows, with even one or two of those possibly getting dropped if they disappoint. Not as bad as I though originally, especially since two of them carry over from earlier.

But still -- why the hell did half of them have to be on Saturday?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, I think my Summer watching list has stabilized at 12 shows, with even one or two of those possibly getting dropped if they disappoint. Not as bad as I though originally, especially since two of them carry over from earlier.

But still -- why the hell did half of them have to be on Saturday?

This season's schedule is weird. Damn near everything is on either Thursday or Saturday.

Metrotab

Banned
Yes, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is definitely one of the few almost perfect shows that I'd rate similarly.

Are you interested in watching the 50 or so episodes of side stories and prequels?

Not nearly as good as the original, by any means, but they should help if you really do want to see more of that world.

I will be watching those as well, but I operate on the basis that there always should be breaks between follow-up series, so it'll take a while.

cajunator

Banned
I have finished END of Evangelion.

I have no words.

Heehee. KABOOM!

Martian Successor Nadesico is similar in that it also has the romantic comedy and serious bidness times going on in a real robot show.

I second that one!

Someone better than me will give better answers, but

I kinda thought that EVA 01 eats Gendo because Shinji and the unit are out of control, and Shinji's rage and the system's berserker stuff goes and makes it kill Gendo.
Shinji chokes Asuka for more or less the same reason. Part of him hates her.
The Tang is the same fluid that fills the entry plugs, LCL. It's an ocean of liquid humans.

I don't remember the reason why the MP units are eating 02, but they look like birds gathering to a carcass, which is sort of a reference to Christ's comment about eagles/vultures gathering at a carcass in connection with His return.

EDIT: Kinda want to marathon to the end of Madoka tonight, but I don't know. I got like, five other things to watch, too. I'm hoping the positive tone of people's reviews of Maou-Sama are right, 'cuz I'm out of Bunny Drop to wash away the rest of Astral Seven.

It is pretty good. Certainly not a show that induces suffering.

Golden Boy 5-

Holy fucking shit at that race. When Kentaro gets ahead, mother of god at that sakuga.

Dat Mikazuki 5!!

Azumanga Daioh - 01
The :cajun is strong with this one. Helps that it's genuinely funny, too. Let's see how the rest of the series fares. c:

This show is well worth your while. It has been known to cause strong character attachment.

Quasar

Well...things are starting to settle already.

Watching
Genshiken
Railgun S2
C3-Bu
Dog & Scissors
The World God Only Knows S3
Monogatari Second Season
Ro-Kyu-Bu
Servant x Service
Kiniro Mosaic
Love Lab
Silver Spoon