• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aizo

Banned
Today's goals:

-Spend more time watching anime and less time thinking about all the games I could buy from the Steam Sale.
-Spend less time watching anime than I do actually accomplishing the myriad tasks I need to accomplish today.
-Don't spend more money on games on steam you can't run because LOL Windows 8.

Oh?
Is compatibility mode not enough? I do not have Windows 8, but plan on getting a new computer soon. Should I make sure to reinstall 7?

Edit: Essentially ninja'd. Wow.

JCG

"New" stuff:

Dangan Ronpa 1-2

The concept itself is what sells this show, because the execution sure doesn't and I don't care about anyone dying.

Fantasista Doll 1-2

Pretty standard magical girl stuff with otaku-oriented bits, but I doubt I'll watch any more. Nothing special.

I wasn't expecting much since Goro Taniguchi isn't directing, just producing, and kept pointing that out to various people beforehand.

Gatchaman Crowds 1

Well, that was weird. Oddly entertaining though, so I'll give it a couple more episodes.

Fuse: Memoirs of the Hunter Girl

I guess this was an alright movie with great production values. Very Japanese in both setting and content.

The character interactions were more enjoyable than the plot itself, which was a bit predictable and slightly rushed towards the end, but I still got the gist of things.

"Old" stuff:

Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight 1-27

Why does this exist? More importantly...why did I watch it? Oh, I know! The OP theme is great.

Well, the first handful of episodes were okay...but I kept falling asleep during the last seven or eight given the glacial pace at which everything happened.

It's not a crime to tell a typical JRPG story, yet making it feel so boring should definitely count as an offense. Not even the joke segments were entertaining enough.

I wouldn't recommend this unless you're the biggest Lodoss War fan on the planet. The OVA is still the way to go.

Black Magic M-66

I suppose this was a decent try at making an anime version of Terminator. Good action sequences.

JCG

You make it sound like the show doesn't take itself seriously. I disagree. It's just seriously bad. The film "The Room" was made seriously. This is in the same vain, albeit with higher production values.

That's a bad comparison since I really didn't get that sense from watching Valvrave, but I'm probably not going to convince you otherwise at this point.

The seriousness is rather farcical and soap opera-ish with quite a few moments of self-mockery to boot, such as having the robot AI react to stuff as the stinger to an episode. Or half the things involving L-elf, or the referenced cry of a NEET girl in order to overcome her problems, the word "Sunrise" written on in-universe boxes and posters, etc. Which I don't consider as an attempt at true seriousness, especially not in light of the surrounding context.

iavi

Today's goals:

-Spend more time watching anime and less time thinking about all the games I could buy from the Steam Sale.
-Spend less time watching anime than I do actually accomplishing the myriad tasks I need to accomplish today.
-Don't spend more money on games on steam you can't run because LOL Windows 8.

This is a bit pertinent to me because I'm getting a new PC soon: is Windows 8 bad in gaming support? I don't follow those kinds of things.

Oh?
Is compatibility mode not enough? I do not have Windows 8, but plan on getting a new computer soon. Should I make sure to reinstall 7?

Edit: Essentially ninja'd. Wow.

There's no issue with Win8 and gaming.

I've been on Windows 8 since the dev preview, and the only thing I've had an issue with, ironically enough, is GFWL titles--because of the absence of the old GFWL runtime in 8. Everything else in my big ol backlog has run without issue.

Aizo

Banned
That's a bad comparison since I really didn't get that sense from watching Valvrave, but I'm probably not going to convince you otherwise at this point.

The seriousness is rather farcical and soap opera-ish with quite a few moments of self-mockery to boot, such as having the robot AI react to stuff as the stinger to an episode. Or half the things involving L-elf, etc. Which I don't consider as an attempt at true seriousness, especially not in light of the surrounding context.

Ah, I get your point. I still feel that regardless of any self awareness that it has, I would not consider it good.

CorvoSol

This is a bit pertinent to me because I'm getting a new PC soon: is Windows 8 bad in gaming support? I don't follow those kinds of things.

I only know what I've been told. I'll try installing the hilarious number of games I've bought recently later today and tell you how they run. I'm hoping some are gonna be okay since they're indie games, but Iunno.

Probably faster to ask in the steam thread.

Theonik

iU9k1T3JVG41N.gif

An animated offering for cajun.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kiniro Mosaic 2:

I just can't handle this. The dissonance between how the characters look/behave and the high school setting plagues me every moment that I watch, and since this show is just a vehicle for moe girls doing moe things anyway and age is of no concern to the type of audience that enjoys this, it's a baffling choice. Perhaps if the characters weren't all so uniformly pure, innocent, cute fuzzy animals in the bodies of girls I could overlook some of the things that make me uncomfortable, but this show has nothing to offer me.

Dropped.

How dare you. :(

:p

"New" stuff:

Dangan Ronpa 1-2

The concept itself is what sells this show, because the execution sure doesn't and I don't care about anyone dying.

A result of the adaptation , you don't care about people dying because you don't spend nearly enough time with them to care.
this is the opposite in the games

T_T

My desktop computer is on the fritz, so its unlikely I'm going to be able to watch any anime soon unless I can kick it working. Unless everyone here wants to see me do impressions of early.... Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal. Or Strike Witches Season 1.

I want to see impressions of Strike Witches all the time.

JCG

A result of the adaptation , you don't care about people dying because you don't spend nearly enough time with them to care.

I see. Which is a shame, since I should drop this and try the game or the LP, but I'm still curious enough about how they'll handle the trial scenario to watch the next episode.

Ah, I get your point. I still feel that regardless of any self awareness that it has, I would not consider it good.

I guess that depends on your grading scale. I'd give it the lowest possible rating of good in mine, 'cause I feel it's accomplishing the minimum required.

Shergal

Kick-Heart

Yeah, Yuasa is at his best when he accommodates himself to shorter run-times. I do like his works in general, but this one comes off as a pretty good distillation of his trademark techniques and the things I most like about his stuff.
A tour de force all the way through, without one boring composition, leaving all the talking to the images in display.
Filled with neat, surreal animation and, as always, an excellent taste for colours, probably the aspect I most enjoyed here.

cnet128

Banned

Very true. I said in my impressions of the first episode that if for some reason someone wanted to watch this adaptation instead of just playing the games, it would still probably be a great experience if not as great. But at this point, I feel like I ought to actively dissuade people from taking that path. The anime just isn't up to the same standard at all, and I wouldn't want people experiencing the series this way =/

Monogatari SS 2 (Nekomonogatari White 2)

Oh, Hanekawa, why are you such a fail.
You can't even enjoy food properly. That's just wrong. I cannot accept you as a human being.
It's like...the entire purpose of your character is to be a fail. That's just sad.

At least
Black Hanekawa
is as awesome as ever.

Frosteey

Neo Member
Garden of Words

Well it is a Makoto Shinkai movie all right. Basically the same thing happened as all the other non-5cm movies where I kind of wish it was a third the length of what it is.

From the last sudden downpour to the end is the only part I'd say was particularly engaging. Stuff with whatshisface's brother/family and the bully fight just felt like snoozetown. And unlike 5cm, the payoff is not as good to warrant the buildup.

Pretty enough, and the music was pretty good.

Is there an extended version of Rainy Morning? That would easily be my most positive lasting impression.

Hattori

Banned
I see. Which is a shame, since I should drop this and try the game or the LP, but I'm still curious enough about how they'll handle the trial scenario to watch the next episode.

I guess that depends on your grading scale. I'd give it the lowest possible rating of good in mine, 'cause I feel it's accomplishing the minimum required.

I implore you to drop danganronpa as soon as possible and play the game(or wait until the localized vita version.) Watching this adaptation before playing it is such a disservice to you and the game itself.

GONZO used CG on the witches too. I discussed that on my impressions. Generally it went like *2D buttshot > fly further > switch to CG*
Not sure how much worse AIC is with it.

I hardly remember Gonzo using it. If S2 is the only time I ever complain about it than I assume it's worse/more apparent.

The game has "FREE TIME" where you're encouraged to interract with the cast in order to gain skills , or skills point in order to equip such skills . Those skills are used in the class trials meaning that if you want to suceed , then you have to interract with the cast as much as possible in order to proceed properly.

The anime basicly give you a one liner in order to move the plot , and messes points ( so far in 2 eps ) related to such events with your fellow classmates , greatly reducing the impact you have.

Very true. I said in my impressions of the first episode that if for some reason someone wanted to watch this adaptation instead of just playing the games, it would still probably be a great experience if not as great. But at this point, I feel like I ought to actively dissuade people from taking that path. The anime just isn't up to the same standard at all, and I wouldn't want people experiencing the series this way =/
The anime is indeed totally inferior. i hope this acceleration of the events is only in order to get to the class trials faster ..but now i fear how they will use them properly .

Monogatari SS 2 (Nekomonogatari White 2)

Oh, Hanekawa, why are you such a fail.
You can't even enjoy food properly. That's just wrong. I cannot accept you as a human being.
It's like...the entire purpose of your character is to be a fail. That's just sad.

At least
Black Hanekawa
is as awesome as ever.

I agree ... that's the entire purpose of her character.
She wouldn't be able to accept her famillly situation otherwise. Hopefully more gaps in her heart will happen , leading her to a more complex character in the end.

-------
Monogatari%20Series%20Second%20Season%20-%2002.jpg

Wooooooooooo

30 minutes in a shower being assaulted by senjougahara ? That's a new record then.

The blatter between the 2 girls for this episode was intresting , i guess you can only have such informations thanks to a girly conversation.

Kudos also
that she willingly gave some of her energy in order to restore black hannekawa
. That's some friendship at work there.

Such fanservice... not graphically but on the words .. great episode even if shaft abused a little on the presentation.

Tenumi

Banned
I want to see impressions of Strike Witches all the time.

When I buy Strike Witches on Blu-Ray I promise you I will watch it and write impressions ASAP.

I wouldn't mind seeing more people suffer watch ZeXal.

Interestingly enough, it was the dub that I had seen for the first time on Nicktoons that made me want to watch it. I'm weird. I accept that.

Also, got my desktop computer working! Yay, I've got my anime selection back!

Syrinx

Hyouka 22 - End (though I think there's an OVA I haven't seen

I'm not really sure what to make of this ending. I will quickly point out that I loved the animation with the cherry blossoms and whatnot (the animation throughout was stellar, but I never really pointed that out since I didn't really have anything to say that hasn't already been said), and the music was great too. But it kinda makes me question just how much Oreki has grown in this series. He for a split second considered offering to manage the business side of Chitanda's family's business, but then backs out before he makes the offer. And that was kinda disappointing to see, because this series kinda seemed more or less about Oreki slowly opening himself up to the world and making use of his talents. So it's pretty disheartening to see him still continue to put up this emotional wall, even though this is pretty much the end of the series (unless they decide to do a second season).

survivor

Banned
Kick-Heart

Should have been longer to establish more shit, instead it was very underwhelming by the time it ended. Oh well, at least I got to watch more stuff by Yuasa.

DiGiKerot

Kick Heart
I think this now takes over that Clover DVD as being the most I've paid per minute for a cartoon. Infinitely more satisfying as well. Good stuff.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've never watched TWGOK but that looks really different from what I'm used to seeing. lolmanglobe?

High school Dxd New - 02

I know what i said about the first season running uncensored earlier , but after finally watching this 2nd ep, i must say that i was greatly surprised ... we're reaching to love ru BD level of fanservice.. ( arf the bath scene ...wooow)

This arc trully is not my favorite but i must admit that this part was necessary in order to get to the better stuff , it's also quite intresting to see how xenovia and irina were when they appeared and how they are now in the novels. Quite a journey since then.

High%20School%20DxD%20NEW%20-%2002.jpg

I can't help but smile when he has trouble with 2, what will he do when they'll be

Overall nice episode , as expected with queen blade boobs helps having a good animation and in the less expected scenes even !.

I used to be like you. Then Vividred showed me the light. Strike Witches was the next logical step after that.
I regret nothing.

Have you seen "sky girls" , yet ? given your path , that's the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom