• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH JOY! CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THOSE WOLFRUN DOUJINS CAN WE!?

pls stop uploaders

Oh so i wasn't alone noticing that a lot of them were being uploaded during the last 2 weeks ?

Serious approach or no serious approach, that's still no excuse for these generic-looking newcomers with their tiny hats trying to steal the show from the real Milky Holmes we all know and love!

I'm just giving them a chance . i'm not against change i'm just letting them do something before calling the army to annihilate them.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
All the more reason for him to finally graduate from fake yuri poop and start getting into legit. good yuri like Honey & Honey and Ohana Holoholo!

I read a little bit of Honey & Honey, but ill give Ohana Holoholo a look on my lunch break.

wonzo

Banned
someone actually thinks gits 2.0 looks better…

hanginabout.gif

goodbye cruel world

Theonik

Serious approach or no serious approach, that's still no excuse for these generic-looking newcomers with their tiny hats trying to steal the show from the real Milky Holmes we all know and love!
JC Staff better get rid of these impure sluts and apologise or they can kiss their fanbase goodbye.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I really enjoyed Hajime no Ippo but I imagine watching it on a weekly basis must be the most boring shit ever. Even for a shounen series it takes forever for things to get going.
If by forever you mean one episode, sure. Hajime no Ippo is one of the best paced shounen anime there is, and doesn't even need special consideration on account of genre. Things move at a steady clip, and out of fight, pre-fight, in-fight, and post-fight all get their proper due and little more.

I really enjoyed Hajime no Ippo but I imagine watching it on a weekly basis must be the most boring shit ever. Even for a shounen series it takes forever for things to get going.

I can imagine that for the manga... but the show is decently enough paced. Most fights last at most 2-3 episodes?

Doesn't hurt that fights are well animated.

Been watching g gundam again... am i crazy to think the ending of the domo vs master asia fight in the finals to be the most emotional gundam moment ever?

cnet128

Banned
JC Staff better get rid of these impure sluts and apologise or they can kiss their fanbase goodbye.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about tiny hats (I'm an expert)...

Nah, it's fair game because Yuru Yuri spends two whole cours to go fucking nowhere.

Since when was YuruYuri supposed to "go" anywhere? If the antics are cute and entertaining, that's what counts. And they most certainly are.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Actual yuri. Oh hell, simply breaking the status quo a little would have been an accomplishment. The time travel ep demonstrates everything that is wrong with that show.
It is not really a relationship focused show. Would it be nice if there was more yuri? Sure. Mostly just because that would be more interesting than the handful of really dry or dull sketches in ♪♪.

Actual yuri. Oh hell, simply breaking the status quo a little would have been an accomplishment. The time travel ep demonstrates everything that is wrong with that show.

You're complaining that a comedy doesn't have real relationship development or plot movement? YuruYuri isn't the type of show that demands either. The only thing wrong with the show is that the 2nd season wasn't really that funny.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Whatever. Ippo manga spoilers:
Ippo makes zero progress towards an actual match with Miyata,

Ippo makes zero progress towards the world title.

Ippo makes zero progress towards actually kissing Kumi.

It's the slowest shit ever.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You're in the wrong thread for that.

Ippo anime is superior.

The anime isn't going to break away from that shit. The only thing that -can- possibly change is the
romance stuff. At this point I just want Itagaki to say fuck it and NTR Kumi away (honestly it even barely counts) because Ippo and Kumi are going nowhere. Ever. He's a pathetic human being.

Cwarrior

I find the double standards in animegaf ridiculous when you have ton of slice of life & romance anime that have rarely anything of any significance happen to move the plot forward except for the first episode and the last few episode to rap it up and spends a lot of it's time showing sky shots,telephone pole shots & cicada on a tree, yet those same people who praise it complain about plot driven shounen shows.

When shows like One Piece exist, you can't say this with a straight face.

Funny comeing from a aku no hana fan which only covers 1/3rd of an uneventful chapter for it's first episode but spends that time showing telephone pole shot and recycled shots of background people walking a few times.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I find the double standards in animegaf ridiculous when you have ton of slice of life & romance anime that have rarely anything of any significance happen to move the plot forward except for the first episode and the last few episode to rap it up and spends a lot of it's time showing sky shots,telephone pole shots & cicada on a tree, yet those same people who praise it complain about plot driven shows.
list some examples.

Shergal

I find the double standards in animegaf ridiculous when you have ton of slice of life & romance anime that have rarely anything of any significance happen to move the plot forward except for the first episode and the last few episode to rap it up and spends a lot of it's time showing sky shots,telephone pole shots & cicada on a tree, yet those same people who praise it complain about plot driven shows.

I haven't seen Hajime no Ippo, but in general I'd think it's fair game to complain about the lack of plot movement if you're watching a plot-driven show, whereas a slice-of-life is never about that in the first place.

Theonik

Maybe it's because it doesn't matter unless it's a plot-driven show. I know it's just a thought.
And there are plenty of idiots that complain about nothing happening in K-ON! etc.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The anime isn't going to break away from that shit.
Well, the more they add on to what they have the less superior it gets, granted. However, the original run is pretty much pristine.
Maybe it's because it doesn't matter unless it's a plot-driven show. I know it's just a thought.
And there are plenty of idiots that complain about nothing happening in K-ON! etc.
Well, a show can work on an arc level or an episodic level, and even then it can be simply character development, antics, or event narrative. Different shows can succeed in different ways, but let's say when a show tries to be slice-of-life but fails to be cute, funny, or interesting, then yes it's worth criticizing on those grounds.

That's my core issue with Yuru Yuri. It's not even that funny(same gags over and over ftl), and it doesn't pick up the slack in other areas.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

There is no double standard here.

Slice of life shows aren't building towards an event the same way shounen series do. Ippo makes clear from nearly the start what the show is building towards
Either Ippo's match with Miyata or the Championship and 900+ chapters in there is little progress towards either. They can't even have him KISS his girlfriend 900 chapters in.
The entire series is basically a joke at this point.

Aku no Hana covered essentially the first half of the manga in a season. Totally reasonable.

1. don't think they will ever fight.
2. ippo did just
gave up his jp title and is going to the world stage, so progress is finally happening
3. not really expecting anything out of this. When has actual romance ever happened in sports anime?

The anime isn't going to break away from that shit. The only thing that -can- possibly change is the
romance stuff. At this point I just want Itagaki to say fuck it and NTR Kumi away (honestly it even barely counts) because Ippo and Kumi are going nowhere. Ever. He's a pathetic human being.

what do you expect

it's a boxing story that's over 1000 chapter long at this point.

it's made to be strecthed out

/XX/

Maybe we, as those outside Japan, won't be seeing Mr. Miyazaki's The Wind Rises for a long time, but there's the possibility of importing the habitual Ghibli THE ART Series & Studio Ghibli Storyboard Collection (Vol. 19, this later one) books to make up (partly) for that:

Amazon.co.jp: ジ・アート・オブ 風立ちぬ: 本
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4198100152/

Amazon.co.jp: 風立ちぬ スタジオジブリ絵コンテ全集19: 宮崎駿: 本
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4198636389/

Available for purchase on July, 24 and July, 31 respectively...

Theonik

Well, a show can work on an arc level or an episodic level, and even then it can be simply character development, antics, or event narrative. Different shows can succeed in different ways, but let's say when a show tries to be slice-of-life but fails to be cute, funny, or interesting, then yes it's worth criticizing on those grounds.

That's my core issue with Yuru Yuri. It's not even that funny(same gags over and over ftl), and it doesn't pick up the slack in other areas.
That's not what he said though. I don't hate the skits on Yuru Yuri but I can understand criticism on these grounds. Cwarrior was talking about plot-driven shows though which is not what the show is about at all.

Tenumi

Banned

To me, I usually watch slice of life shows not for their plot but for the experience. Its not about trying to draw me in to pull of some plot twist, its to keep me entertained and happy. To me, that is what slice of life's purpose is.

Fairy Tail x Rave PV
tumblr_mq6q2rsSIn1rpg3ibo4_500.png

I think it looks fun to have it animated and extended. Makes me miss Fairy Tail some.

I'd probably watch Rave Master if the anime had an original ending. Fairy Tail is at least continuing the anime. But Rave Master's anime only gets like, I don't know a third of the story from what I've heard.

But still though, that won't stop me from watching this since it looks friggin' awesome to see a crossover like this.

Kagami

As far as I can tell, what's called "fake yuri" in English is generally what the word "yuri" itself is used to mean in Japanese.
So Yuruyuri is exactly what its title says it is.
Whereas if it were about actual lesbians it would be called something like "Crying Flowers."

EAT CASHEW, DEVOUR CASHEW!

Gotta have that protein or you'll die!

I'll just never understand how Sailor Moon didn't know that Tuxedo Mask and the Moonlight Knight are the same guy. I mean the Moonlight Knight even had the exact same rose schtick.

The way I've always rationalised that is that their outfits have a perception filter or something.

I rationalized it with Usagi being stupid and/or having tears in her eyes as an act of a perception filter.

Oh god I'm dying!

Oh so i wasn't alone noticing that a lot of them were being uploaded during the last 2 weeks ?

I've been making commentary about the state of Precure doujins every night. There's no end, they're just Wolfrunning with it!

This is why I gave up caring about getting more Ippo anime beyond New Challenger (that and it apparently got stupid because Ippo wasn't really growing and whatnot.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom