• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Terror in Resonance 03

I still have trouble believing how smart the police is. I am not even talking about Beardy, the police actually looks at their cameras and research. Usually police in anime is beyond useless and incapable of putting obvious clues together. Really impressive.
And that goes for everyone. All of our protagonists are smart, well except Lisa, but she didn't have a lot of time or opportunity to show any wit.

I love how Shibazaki really won that round, without any smug countermeasure of the boys and how they deducted the state of knowledge of the police. Although I don't know if it was the best for him to show himself. I thought that he hid himself like L did in Death Note. But well, maybe he just wanted to make a declaration of war with his own face.
What is this supposed to mean?
You will know when watching the episode.

Link Man

Banned
see people watch bad stuff like Baking Bread and not good stuff like the Wire and then make insinuations about how people are "shitting on [it] since it's recent and popular", this is why we can't have nice things :(

Is this a show where Akio Furukawa starts adding drugs to his dough and runs an illegal bakery on the side?

The writing in The Wire shits all over Breaking Bad and I'm not sorry.

Can't speak for the Sopranos.
The writing is believable and I appreciate the shows way of showing me the reality of how police work is and how much politics fucking ruins everything. The gang is great too. But I find myself more entertained and on the edge of my seat with breaking bad. Performances as well Bryan Cranston was amazing, so was aaron Paul. The Wire has solid performances all around which is an edge over BB I guess.

Doesn't help that I just watched true detective so the whole "great detective but piece of shit human being" thing is not as fresh. While a high school teacher going into the drug business is fucking creativity personified.

TUSR

Banned
The writing is believable and I appreciate the shows way of showing me the reality of how police work is and how much politics fucking ruins everything. The gang is great too. But I find myself more entertained and on the edge of my seat with breaking bad. Performances as well Bryan Cranston was amazing, so was aaron Paul. The Wire has solid performances all around which is an edge over BB I guess.

Doesn't help that I just watched true detective so the whole "great detective but piece of shit human being" thing is not as fresh. While a high school teacher going into the drug business is fucking creativity personified.

All these shows are top tier and saved anim...

It took me a whole season to get into The Wire, 6 episodes for BB, and 1.5 for True Detective.

Jarmel

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul-4
ibpUVNz9cxK6eM.jpg

iKW09V3NYpERU.jpg

ivhqnKGLASL5Y.jpg
Oh my. Is this what people mean when they say serious comedy?

Syrinx

Well in this regard, Jexhuis only mentioned the writing. He didn't say anything about the directing or the acting.

Midonin

Locodol 04

I don't think that's quite how a "Like" button works. So we have another new character, the manager who is also a crazy fangirl. And it's a deeper voice than I'm used to hearing from Asami Shimoda, almost didn't recognize her. The rooftop concert was a sweet moment, but with the manager's presence, I hit on what this show is reminding me of, even more than WUG or anything like that. It's a multi-girl version of Super Sonico. The light fanservicey elements, the small-scale concerts and the more healing/daily life nature as opposed to the competitive idol business. I liked Sonico, so that's meant to be a compliment, and look forward to more ahead.

Blusby

Is he dying of poisoning or is that hilarious overacting?

This is close to the manga, that particular character hams it up all the time (because he believes that he is of high society lol). I'm not going to defend the episode though, because they cut out
Itori bargaining with Kaneki to check out the Ghoul restaurant
. This just made Kaneki look incredibly naive and stupid to just
up and trust Tsukiyama by following him to the restaurant even after being told that he shouldn't trust the guy
, also lol more inversecolorshit.

Garzey's Wing 03

Chris wins the battle with the help of his girlfriend who gives him her power and energy, Hassan with the earthenware bells and Leelince who got jealous of Chris and Hassan because of reasons.

Then they run out of money to make the rest of the series and motorcycles float up into the sky.

So interesting that I just had to watch the first episode twice to get what's going on.

The dub is even greater than the first Resident Evil game. You get lines such as "If you had a convenience store, I'd live with you", "It's the only way I can place a Dragorol at Gabujuju" and "Miss Hassan-san".

Rating it based on the purely unintentional comedy and so it gets 6/8 earthenware bells:
7TEHVZq.png
7TEHVZq.png
7TEHVZq.png
7TEHVZq.png
7TEHVZq.png
7TEHVZq.png
8I3pXVD.png
8I3pXVD.png

Baccano! 09

Things are quickly coming together now. Immortals are spreading and that Szilard wants it all to himself. I still don't know what that kid Czeslaw's goals are. (Yes I went to back to the intro to look up their names)

Rail Tracer is quite something. I'm not sure how it was able to perform such feats. The rail track murder was brutal.

Well in this regard, Jexhuis only mentioned the writing. He didn't say anything about the directing or the acting.
True. The camera work in breaking bad could've been cheesy too but it worked. The directing was great too imho. Wire had solid believable writing and characters. But BB was never meant to be believable....up until a certain point. It was scarface remade imho.

cajunator

Banned
Garzey's Wing 03

Chris wins the battle with the help of his girlfriend who gives him her power and energy, Hassan with the earthenware bells and Leelince who got jealous of Chris and Hassan because of reasons.

Then they run out of money to make the rest of the series and motorcycles float up into the sky.

So interesting that I just had to watch the first episode twice to get what's going on.

The dub is even greater than the first Resident Evil game. You get lines such as "If you had a convenience store, I'd live with you", "It's the only way I can place a Dragorol at Gabujuju" and "Miss Hassan-san".

Rating it based on the purely unintentional comedy and so it gets 6/8 earthenware bells:
7TEHVZq.png
7TEHVZq.png
7TEHVZq.png
7TEHVZq.png
7TEHVZq.png
7TEHVZq.png
8I3pXVD.png
8I3pXVD.png

You have witnessed true greatness. Its all downhill from here.

Vylash

Persona 4 The Golden Animation 03

ibehGmx4PdAxhb.gif
ibdbCvpaCWapmc.gif

Nice to see them mixing Marie into other material, since she wasn't involved with the beach event in the games, but yet they also managed to work in the development from her corresponding social link event, very clever. I died at the Signs Of Love remix, hope that's included in the OST. Nanako is SO cute and the ending was super sweet. I love the OP but I'm still annoyed they didn't keep Shadow World. Really good episode, the real challenge will be suffering through 9 more episodes of Rise's voice without killing myself

Syrinx

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 13

So Haruhi created/modified the universe to its current state around three years ago, around the time she had that existential crisis after attending the baseball game. She creates these enclosed spaces as a means of venting her frustration and anxiety. And if Itsuki and the espers don't do anything about them, they'll consume the earth.

And something's going to happen with Haruhi next episode, and Kyon needs to be careful. And remember Snow White.

TUSR

Banned
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 13

So Haruhi created/modified the universe to its current state around three years ago, around the time she had that existential crisis after attending the baseball game. She creates these enclosed spaces as a means of venting her frustration and anxiety. And if Itsuki and the espers don't do anything about them, they'll consume the earth.

And something's going to happen with Haruhi next episode, and Kyon needs to be careful. And remember Snow White.

just do it, watch 14.

Jex

You know, I'm pretty sure Terror in Resonance had a thread, but the thread title was so awful that the thread died and no-one even knows the shows airing because Funimation.

RIP.

ibehGmx4PdAxhb.gif
ibdbCvpaCWapmc.gif

Nice to see them mixing Marie into other material, since she wasn't involved with the beach event in the games, but yet they also managed to work in the development from her corresponding social link event, very clever. I died at the Signs Of Love remix, hope that's included in the OST. Nanako is SO cute and the ending was super sweet. I love the OP but I'm still annoyed they didn't keep Shadow World. Really good episode, the real challenge will be suffering through 9 more episodes of Rise's voice without killing myself

It's true Rise's voice actor Rie is pretty annoying to the ears. The only character she's voice that I throughly enjoy is Kagura from Gintama. Though all the Japanese voice actors for the Persona 4 cast except for rise and maybe teddie are great. Same for the Persona 3 movie, the voice actors are great especially Makoto and Shinji.

You know, I'm pretty sure Terror in Resonance had a thread, but the thread title was so awful that the thread died and no-one even knows the shows airing because Funimation.

RIP.

Somebody just bumped it when they watched the third episode so it's on the first page in off topic.

fertygo

P4 Golden the Animation - 03

For someone that never playing the Golden version, this adaptation not giving a bad vibe for Marie, she blending rather well..

RIP.

It happens, Funimation did the same thing to Barakamon. I mean it's something everyone should expect from Funimation.

Jex

[Terror in Tokyo] - 3

A distinctly weaker episodes than the previous two, thanks mostly to the efforts of shoten yato. His sceenplay was pretty weak this episode because he once again utterly failed to flesh out the characters. In particular Lisa and her mother are basically cyphers. This is pretty problematic because she's supposed to be one of the more 'normal' people in the series who I imagined we'd be relating to, but perhaps not? Literally all her mother has done is shake her daughter violently and shout "LISA! LISA" like a complete crazy person; you think they could do a little more to give her some semblance of a character.

A 20 second flashback doesn't count as character development either. This series isn't long enough to waste time with lots of pointless chitter-chatter between police when we could be developing our protagonists and the first half of this episode felt exclusively devoted to this. Sure, we got some minor development of Mr.I'm-to-old-for-this but I still feel like a fair amount was completely misused.

Outside these gripes I don't have any major problems with the show or the direction, but the writing is really doing it's best to keep me distanced from the characters and their struggles.

Chariot

This is close to the manga, that particular character hams it up all the time (because he believes that he is of high society lol). I'm not going to defend the episode though, because they cut out
Itori bargaining with Kaneki to check out the Ghoul restaurant
. This just made Kaneki look incredibly naive and stupid to just
up and trust Tsukiyama by following him to the restaurant even after being told that he shouldn't trust the guy
, also lol more inversecolorshit.
I see, I don't think I will pick up the show again, but I will enjoy the reactions in this thread.

I can only fully agree with you.
They did a good job fitting Marie better into the whole story and Rises voice is ... eh. I can't live with the japanese voices. P4G reverse weaboo'd me :,(

ibdslqtbCRdbsh.png

That was very cute.

iWO6ciweH9fF2.png

Perfection.

RIP.
I have barely enough attention span for this thread, I couldn't handle dividing talk about a show over multiple threads.
I am just lazy.

Pooya

argevollen 4

ok, so the OP was unfinished and now the finished one just started this time...
well still bad, the new scene look weird. whatever

plot, plot everywhere. all kind of plot;
convenient type; oh you really can't change the pilot or the "key" pleeaaase, I'm going to write this off as the mysteries of argevollen ok for now lol

character dev plot; ok cliche everywhere I was just like you, meh. kay. I still don't care about any body despite all the plot but better than nothing that was before I guess.

LIGHT shaft plot; ok I guess they have to sell those discs, not that this is going to help any way. Still wasn't expecting this exactly, meh.

I'm not sure how many more episodes of this thing I have in me before my patience runs out.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul-4

Oh my. Is this what people mean when they say serious comedy?

Yeah him and that guy at the end were great. Up there with Sabagebu as the best comedy. lol

Tokyou Ghoul 04

I'm kinda confused about Kaneki's ghoul eye. I thought he couldn't hide it, hence the eyepatch but in the mansion he appeared with normal eyes completely out of the blue.

The fight was weaksauce and I really hope it's not a sign of things to come. Come on Pierrot. Censorship struck again too. ;(

Baccano! 10

I vaguely remember seeing this in the first episode. Still brutal seeing it a second time.

Ladd and Chane don't seem to be immortal but they certainly know how to fight. Rail Tracer seems to be mortal as well based off his reaction to Czeslaw's death. We also learn of other immortals that have taken a sip from the elixir of eternal youth. Just how many immortals are on this train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom