• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Mysterious Joker trailer for the upcoming fall anime makes it look like a fun, joyful kids' show. Features quite a bit of 2D mechanical animation for those of you who like that.
2D cars. :O Definitely looks like a series for kids which means it probably won't get licensed or even fansubs.
I live less than 30 minutes from Harmony Gold. Sometimes, I think of going over there and freeing the Macross license myself. I'd be a hero.
Harmony Gold is evil no doubt but at least they keep some of Kawamori's madness away from the states.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days-

[...]

Yeah I didn't like that one much either.

I have to say that I like Shinkai's grounded and simple movies the most, those being 5cm/s and Garden of Words. Meanwhile he fails to impress me when he crams in a lot more sci-fi or fantasy. "Children Who Chase Lost Voices" which was rather ambitious and felt like something of a Ghibli adventure movie didn't really work for me at all.

Since you mentioned character design. The characters in 5cm/s have also really simple faces, certainly lacking detail. I never really thought of them as ugly though, that said I can't remember thinking so about TPPiOED (that name!) either. That said it certainly is noticeable and if that annoyed you beforehand I can see it doing so there, too.

Hope you aren't getting too tired of that 'distance' theme he has going in pretty much all his movies. I think it's by the far the best executed in 5cm/s but still, watching all of his work one after the other I could imagine you getting fed up with that.

I live less than 30 minutes from Harmony Gold. Sometimes, I think of going over there and freeing the Macross license myself. I'd be a hero.

You know what you have to do:
uC7QttJ.gif

Lain

Black Bullet 1-10

I've been more or less enjoying watching this until episode 10. The exchange between Rentaro and Kisara toward the end was extremely lame and I fail to come to terms with the idea that such a lame reason was enough to make Rentaro decide that fighting to protect such scum is the right thing to do.

Mokoi

Banned
Terror in Tokes 3

Pretty calm episode, and this really is going to turn into a cat & mouse game. I liked the focus on Shibazaki this episode. However, it would of been nice to get more character development on the others. The little flashback about the facility 9&12 stayed as kids really isn't going to cut it. I'm looking forward to learn about what their endgame is because right now it really just seems like a cry for attention. Shibazaki's back story on summer bothered me a bit. It helped flesh out why he seems to really care about this case now, but those cheesy lines about hating summer just bothered me. I just don't like those " I hate ____" lines since it seems like something a kid would say in order to sound deep.

The riddles are a mixed bag for me. I love the interactions between 9&12 during the video. Its just that I wish they just carried out their plan without dropping hints, and the show focused on the police/master detective Shibazaki desperately trying to catch them. The whole focus on using Greek mythology is not really interesting. It feels thrown in just to add some symbolism into the story. I kind of hope the riddles are dropped further into the show, and it really becomes a race of time trying to catch them.

Lisa is really a forgettable character right now. Although I'm sure she going to defintely get development next episode after her little departure from home. I'm calling it right now that 9 is going to be the one who grows really attached to her, and possibly do something to jeopardize Vons original plans because of her. At least that is a direction I see the show going.

Overall it was still a pretty good episode which was not as exciting as the first two, but those production values are still holding strong. If ping pong can give Wenge that much character development in such a short time then hopefully this show can do the same for the two protags and Lisa.

Also going to listen the whole OST for the one hundredth time. It's sooo good!

I looked up the resume of the director for Mysterious Joker and she hasn't done a whole lot. One of the few things she has directed is this. :| It's from 2005 so maybe it isn't the happy otaku friendly version of incest.

Chariot

Contrary to popular belief, being cold or wet does not make you sick.
Of course, you just have to abuse the 3 seconds rule and jump up and down every 2 seconds.

I don't mean to sound so rough around the edges. I just think it's pretty shitty how people are acting all victimized when it's an entirely reasonable rule made to better the community.
I have no problem to make the thread safe for work. But this general if-you-don't-like-it-leave-we-didn't-need-you-anyway attitude around it, is pretty toxic. And then there are things like Theoniks ban. He made a NSFW tagged link to anime screenshots with butts. I just think that this kind of force and indifference to the worth of a fellow user is wrong and alienates.

Idolm@ster Episode 17

This episode is just adorable in every way possible. It was really cute seeing Makoto want to be the princess instead but still ends up being the prince again on impulse just to protect others. Probably one of my favorite episodes so far. I really hope there is a Takane and Chihaya focused episode also since I also liked them.
Yes, yeeeees! Embrace the prince, you know you like like we all do, even the people who claim that they like others more. Just in denial.

? Who's Theonik? lol
So sad, one month and Theonik-senpai is already forgotten.

Hey! I make serious recommendations! Just make some weird watchbets and my reputation is in ruins!
It's that easy :(

Terror in Tokes 3

Also going to listen the whole OST for the one hundredth time. It's sooo good!
I agree, I really digging it.

Also this is your cutest avatar so far, good job!

Good morning guys. Slowly I'm waking up later and later. In a few days I might wake up when the sun is out!

TLDR: This anime is bloody awful. If you have any intention of watching this look at yourself in the mirror then slap yourself on the face.

I was scrolling through the posts that I'd missed and caught this and started laughing uncontrollably.

And then I noticed...

Elfen Lied 04

and started laughing even harder. This is beautiful. Can't wait for more.

Jex

Well for some, probably a generation, it is.

I'll admit for me its Robotech that holds the special place in my heart. Though thats probably just pure nostalgia.

Which makes me all wonder just how well the new Robotech Kickstarter will do, even with the bad feelings Harmony Gold has generated.

It's just a weird decision to bundle them together. Macross wouldn't be particularly thrilled to buy from Harmony Gold but to also force them to buy Robotech at the same time, the target of their ire, just seems to be rubbing their face in it.

jgminto

I need to get back to Blood C. I stopped when I realised I was watching the censored version. All the blurs and black voids took me out of it. It just seems wrong watching it without the gore. It'd be like watching an 80's gory horror B Movie with the gore censored. Censoring it would take away a lot of the over the top charm.

Chariot

I need to get back to Blood C. I stopped when I realised I was watching the censored version. All the blurs and black voids took me out of it. It just seems wrong watching it without the gore. It'd be like watching an 80's gory horror B Movie with the gore censored. Censoring it would take away a lot of the over the top charm.
You're right. The insane amount of over the top gore is what makes it good (not good-good, terrible-good).

Dear phoenix,

If you take elfen lied's plot seriously, you've already lost.

The manga delivers much better exposition anyway
While you're right, I have to ask thee: are you an MangaGaf's witness now?

Misuta

Free! Eternal Summer E4

Thank goodness the drama between Rin and Sousuke is resolved in only one episode and I can't believe shouta Sousuke is voiced by Aoi Yuuki. I couldn't even regonize her. It must be awesome for her to get a role in Free! because she is a fan of the series.

Thank you KyoAni for the Lucky Star reference. When Nagisa asked Haru, Makoto and Rei how they would eat an Iwatobi Cream Bread in the ending I realized how much I miss Lucky Star. ;_;

Jex

I actually felt like the ridiculous censoring was part of the charm.

Chariot

I come offering purity and redemption. Our materials are so devoid of baka gaijin influence that you need to learn japanese to understand them.
You people are scary.
I actually felt like the ridiculous censoring was part of the charm.
Nah, it gets more ludicrious with the weird gore.
At some point a lot of human get thrown in a giant blender

But the most important thing is the audio commentary. Its so funny how the people try to talk this shit sunny.

Conan-san

Looks like Harmony Gold is releasing sets of Robotech and the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross bundled together in sets. As much as it would pain me to give Harmony Gold money, this is a pretty convenient way to own the series. Though the set quality will probably be horrific for one reason or another so I probably wont have to.
DON'T FORGET, YOU'RE HERE FOREVER

Quasar

It's just a weird decision to bundle them together. Macross wouldn't be particularly thrilled to buy from Harmony Gold but to also force them to buy Robotech at the same time, the target of their ire, just seems to be rubbing their face in it.

It makes some sense to me, in that it allows you to easily compare/contrast in one set. And I imagine its sold by the volume so you probably can buy one or another.

Quasar

Senjougahara and Aragi are a super cute couple!
The rest tho... can't trust these polls

Well I'm happy enough with the top three. Not that I'd put them in those spots, but I like those couples, and would have put oreki/chitanda higher. Sad though that theres no koko/banri.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know if this was posted but Tony Zhou posted a video concerning Satoshi Kon - Editing Space & Time yesterday that's a great watch.

It's the same guy that posted the Spielberg long take video that had a thread earlier in the year in the OT.

edit: Apparently there's a thread for this in the OT as well: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=862201

Not enough Millennium Actress love. Theres NEVER enough.

I never knew that Blood C show was so gory. I just saw a youtube video of it that brought back a bad memory of the one time I decided to look up what Genocyber was on the same site.

I'm not sure if it's ok to post the link so I'll play it safe. Suffice to say that it's completely turned me off from ever wanting to watch it.

This makes me laugh hysterically for some reason. I think this show broke something inside me.

Elfen Lied 03

What is it with anime and animal abuse? First Kanon, now this! Never have I been so deeply upset and happily relieved in a two minute time span.

It was cathartic though!

Idolm@ster Episode 17

This episode is just adorable in every way possible. It was really cute seeing Makoto want to be the princess instead but still ends up being the prince again on impulse just to protect others. Probably one of my favorite episodes so far. I really hope there is a Takane and Chihaya focused episode also since I also liked them.

This is one of the greatest anime episodes ever made really. Definitely one of the cutest.
Why isnt this show licensed? Who do I have to manipulate?

Free the Macross license and the Robotech IP, then sell them to bidder you think is most competent (although it'll be hilarious if you sold Macross's license to Sentai Filmworks).

cajunator

Banned
Posting giant .png images of tomboys is pretty solid evidence. No need to even check the IP addresses.

Thats in no way solid evidence, seeing as Makoto is the greatest of tomboys and posting larger images of her perfection is merely the natural thing to do.

Elfen Lied 04

I know my impressions were short last episode and I'm still recovering from the dog killing fake out but I promise to make it up with this episode.

Let's start with the opening. It's sung in latin and the lyrics make it sound like it has some deep philosophical meaning. Meanwhile in the background we are treated to several still panning images of the main character while she is stark naked as well as all the other female characters who wear clothes that blend into the background they're standing against giving the illusion that they're not wearing anything. The whole thing comes off as pretentious crap where we're supposed to find some hidden meaning when there is none.

Next is the nudity. There has been some form of nudity in every episode thus far. So far I have have found no purpose for it other than to see pink haired cat eared girls naked. Kill La Kill's fan service didn't bother me because the nudity actually fit within the context of the plot even if it was stupid and silly. The nudity in this is so gratuitous in it's nature that it makes me shake my head every time I see it on screen. The fact that it's present in such a glaringly obvious way in both the OP and ED just emphasises this even further. AnimeGAF, if you're wondering where all the nipples went Elfen Lied stole them all and parades them in your face every few minutes.

The characters in this series are absolutely ridiculous. The first thing Kouta thinks when he sees a random naked girl on the beach is "Hey, lets take her in to live with us!" The scenes where he is with Nyu as she struggles with her female body are just so badly done it makes me gag. The fact that Nyu is constantly naked in front of him and yet he still acts like the shy, innocent, anime character is really overplayed and makes it even more ridiculous that he took her home in the first place.

Yuka is a mystery. She suddenly appears back in Kouta's life after many years of never having seen him. Not only does she encourage him to take Nyu home but she belittles and gets physically violent with him when he does something that may seem the slightest bit sexual with Nyu. She then encourages him to continue to bring female guests into his home and gets jealous when he interacts with them. Do you like this moron or not, make up your mind woman!

Then there is Nyu... This is one of the worst characters I've seen in any narrative. She is a completely clueless and dependent moron one minute yet she becomes a merciless killing machine the next. The whole shtick of repeating your name and not understanding what someone means when they ask for water was not endearing or cute, it was painful to watch. The character shift from one personality to the next has made no sense and only appears to happen when she takes a bump to the head.

The whole facility where they keep these mutants and operation surrounding them is giving off huge evangelion vibes. The director guy is such a Gendo wannabe. The badass soldier dude is told he has been infected by some disease after being touched by Nyu's magical hands and they have to cut off his balls. I don't know what fucked up plot device this is for but it seems they're writing this ridiculous stuff just for shock value. They also have several of these pink haired, cat eared girls strung up naked in chains. I don't know what fucked up operation you're running but do they really have to be nude 24/7 for you to perform your experiments?

The violence in this anime is so over the top it has surpasses the stupid gore kill films from the west. How hands, no matter how magical they are, can slice someone up like this is so stupid. The whole concept of the vectors makes me wonder what the writers were smoking.

It's only been four episodes and I've had enough. At least with school days it was a funny kind of badness that I could parody into something. This is just terrible on so many levels that I have to wonder how the fuck this anime has an average score of over 8 on MAL. The funny thing is I'm going to keep watching this until the end.

TLDR: This anime is bloody awful. If you have any intention of watching this look at yourself in the mirror then slap yourself on the face.

Elfen Lied is quite something. I have never seen another show that was so overall controversial and created dedicated fans while completely reviling others.
If ever a show could fit the description of "polarizing"

Thanks, this is a very solid break down of Kon's editing style. It's always great when someone who works in a particular field (or with sufficient experience) actually breaks down an element of the film making to explain it fully. While Kon obviously conveys a great deal of the information in his movies through framing and mise-en-scene (thanks to his insane eye for detail) the language of film has always been editing because that's how meaning and understanding is built. Images placed next to each generate a meaning based on the order that you perceive them.

As such, that essay also serves as a pretty solid introduction to the idea of editing generating meaning (sometimes referred to as the Kuleshov Effect) so for anyone remotely interested in gaining a deeper understanding of film making I'd recommend checking out the video.

I really appreciate your insights into filmmaking, techniques, director styles, symbolism, all of that. You make great contributions in ways I never could. I would hug you.

/XX/

I gotta be honest. I was real stoked to come back and be an active member here again, but I'm just not digging the current environment... Don't get me wrong, I really really like the members here, and I'm all for a SFW community, but right now it feels far too restrictive. For that reason I won't likely be around much. I don't like thinking of creative or fun ways to say something and then having to censor myself before posting out of fear that I might be banned. It's just nonsense, with all due respect... it just is.
Damn no, hang in there! These are difficult times for us, lustful ones (in fact, I'm blaming Jacob for ANYTHING that happens to me right now)... but we are going to pass this storm together, my gentleman.

The second-greatest anime narrator after Kaiji's.
The poetic man on Armored Trooper VOTOMS is also up there on your list, isn't it?

Looks like Harmony Gold is releasing sets of Robotech and the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross bundled together in sets. As much as it would pain me to give Harmony Gold money, this is a pretty convenient way to own the series. Though the set quality will probably be horrific for one reason or another so I probably wont have to.
It makes me wonder about Robotech...would it be technically possible to produce a remastered in HD set? Would that amount to taking the Macross BD materials and then re-edit it in line with Robotech?
How about getting a new series instead? Maybe if it is successful Harmony Gold Productions takes the time to put up-to-date the original butchering made by Mr. Macek & Co. for such re-release.

cajunator

Banned
Good morning guys. Slowly I'm waking up later and later. In a few days I might wake up when the sun is out!

I was scrolling through the posts that I'd missed and caught this and started laughing uncontrollably.

And then I noticed...

and started laughing even harder. This is beautiful. Can't wait for more.

Yeah he isnt even halfway into the series. Its going to be amazing.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/i...una-top-fan-poll-of-best-anime-couples/.77004

- lol
- Are they even a couple? With how many girls has he cheated on her at this point?
- Tsundere are shit
- Cockroaches aren't people
- Tsundere are shit

People are awful. I dont even see Aoi and Kaoru on this list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom