• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Gankutsuou 01

untitled2hu9u.png

This was made by Gonzo ? I thought they were supposed to be shit ?

Anyhow a pretty great introduction episode especially the latter half. We get a large glimpse of the world and the grim realities of it as well as of the count who wastes no time in throwing protags life in disarray I still fear a bit that my knowledge of other adaptations of the material will sap my enjoyment of it but so far there is a completely different POV and the count seems more sinister than I remember him being.

It's probably the most visually unique show I've seen yet and I'll need a while to get used to it. Reminds me a bit of the Madoka labirynth parts.

And it seems is has evil space cardinal running things. Poor Richelieu should sue Dumas for the irreparable damage to his media image that will last for eternity and beyond.

I see mechs in the ED. Hype !

Naruto Shippuden 369

Surely they're better ways of filling up the running time than a circa 4 minute flashbacks to events from 1.5 episode back.

For the life of me I don't get why all those ninja villages even tolerate all those feudal lords. Hashi should have just gone full on revolution ham on them. Instead he set up a military dictatorship with brainwashed child soldiers as its army. Way to go -_-

cajunator

Banned
I loves Gonzo. They always choose some interesting subject matter to adapt.
Sometimes they dont do a consistent job but I think they do a fair one.

Black Bullet 1-10

I've been more or less enjoying watching this until episode 10. The exchange between Rentaro and Kisara toward the end was extremely lame and I fail to come to terms with the idea that such a lame reason was enough to make Rentaro decide that fighting to protect such scum is the right thing to do.

If that wasn't obvious at this point rentarou doesn't know what to do.
This will be even more obvious in the next eps.

Chariot

The super definite Chariot Anime Couple Ranking

Instead of Votes, I measure the cuteness of the couples in cajuns

01. Hitagi Senjougahara x Koyomi Araragi (Monogatari Series) - 48.5 cajun
The relationship between Senjougahara and Araragi is an interesting one. He is a Haremprotagonist with the Samaritian Syndrom and an awful active libido and she has a rape trauma and a broken relationship to her family. And yet it works out. Despite all his antics with other girls, he stays loyal to Senjougahara and she knows it. A lot of anime make girls weak as soon as they enter a relationship. Senjougahara isn't weak. If anything she is stronger than she ever was. She shows great responsibility and is able to take matters in her own hand, like when she housed Hanekawa, beat down her jealous kouhai or even jumped over her trauma and asked Kaiki to help solve a solution Araragi had trouble to solve.
Even the notion of her being initially saved by Araragi and then fall in love gets waved away. As she put's it herself: she would recognized Araragi running around and helping people sooner or later and eventually fall in love with him anyways.

A relationship between two individuals who are not the same, not the opposite, not fated; just two people who love and respect each other.

02. Kenjirou Hato x Harunobu Madarame (Genshiken Nidaime) - 32.3 cajun
At least in the anime they're not officially a pair, but it's strongly hinted that they could be eventually. Hata is a crossdressing boy who actually wishes to become a beautiful girl. And while crossdressing he does a good job to appear like one. In Nidaime he joins the club and meets Madarame who lets him change his clothes in his apartment. The two of them understand each other good and Madarame doesn't mind the crossdressing much. Hato often cleans up for Madarame. Hato needed some time to accept it, but he clearly felt in love with Madarame eventually.
On this occasion I want to point out again, what an interesting character Hato is. He is interested in yaoi and able to draw a lot of smut, he is not hanging at mens arses. It's only Madarame he likes for his personality. He also liked a girl in the past. It just happened that he fell in love with a man. Hato is probably the most mundanely written homosexual character I've seen in anime and that's a good thing.
Madarame on the other hand was running around with a broken hear since the first Genshiken, since he loved Saki, who went together with a friend of his. But in Nidaime he finally confesses and she rejects him properly. Which freed him and could make him ready to finally come to terms with his feelings regarding Hato.

03. Nia Teppelin x Simon the digger (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) - 30.2 cajun
We have a lot of protagonists who would do everything in their power to get together again with their loved ones. The special thing about Nia and Simon is, that they don't do that. Simon could've revived or keep Nia alive with the giant amount of spiral energy he posses. But they don't want to risk the spiral nemesis and the destruction of everything. Is has to be very painful to know that there is a way to save ones life, but that the price for this path is far too high. Nia's death made a great impression on me, since their love was strong enough to not cling to life, to know they protected everything they loved, build and stood for. In an anime where you could literally throw galaxies with sheer willpower, they decided that their love isn't so petty that they would path the way to doom just to stay together longer.

04. Isaac Dian x Miria Harvent (Baccano!) - 29.1 cajun
05. Revy x Rock (Black Lagoon) - 28.9 cajun
Yoshino Takigawa x Aika Fuwa
(Zetsuen no Tempest) - 25.4 cajun
07. Laura Bodewig x Charlotte Dunois (Infinite Stratos) - 24.0 cajun
Minene Uryuu x Masumi Nishijima
(Mirai Nikki) - 21.1 cajun
09. Winry Rockbell x Edward Elric (Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood) - 15.0 cajun
10. Aila Jyrkiäinen x Reiji (Gundam Build Fighters) - 12.6 cajun

Hattori

Banned
My favorite rating system :3

Yes. It's awful, read the manga.
The action is weak and lifeless, nothing has an impact, the show begins with the finale and then jumps back to the beginning, they added weird fanservice and cut out a lot of cute sd faces and humorous moments.
I see, I was hoping it would turn alright... Oh well, back to UY marathon for me.
Great soundtrack and faylan. The lead duo are hilarious so far.
Alright one episode just to make sure :)

Yes. It's awful, read the manga.
The action is weak and lifeless, nothing has an impact, the show begins with the finale and then jumps back to the beginning, they added weird fanservice and cut out a lot of cute sd faces and humorous moments.

So the manga is actually good? Tokyo themed adaptations are cursed this season.

Firemind

At least in the anime they're not officially a pair, but it's strongly hinted that they could be eventually. Hata is a crossdressing boy who actually wishes to become a beautiful girl. And while crossdressing he does a good job to appear like one. In Nidaime he joins the club and meets Madarame who lets him change his clothes in his apartment. The two of them understand each other good and Madarame doesn't mind the crossdressing much. Hato often cleans up for Madarame. Hato needed some time to accept it, but he clearly felt in love with Madarame eventually.
On this occasion I want to point out again, what an interesting character Hato is. He is interested in yaoi and able to draw a lot of smut, he is not hanging at mens arses. It's only Madarame he likes for his personality. He also liked a girl in the past. It just happened that he fell in love with a man. Hato is probably the most mundanely written homosexual character I've seen in anime and that's a good thing.
Madarame on the other hand was running around with a broken hear since the first Genshiken, since he loved Saki, who went together with a friend of his. But in Nidaime he finally confesses and she rejects him properly. Which freed him and could make him ready to finally come to terms with his feelings regarding Hato.

What the fuck did I just read? It reads like a bad fanfiction.

Chariot

So the manga is actually good? Tokyo themed adaptations are cursed this season.
In my opinion yes. Go to your bookstore and look a bit into the first pages, you will surely see the difference in humor, fanservice and impact. The story is actually the same so far (minus the weird Ga-Rei inserts), but the presentation makes actually a whole lot of difference.

What the fuck did I just read? It reads like a bad fanfiction.
Sorry, I constantly trying to improve my writing.
Or are you talking about my thought to pair of Madarame and Hato?
Ooooh, I think, I go into hiding.

Crocodile

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Stardust Crusaders 17

Honestly this episode was kind of sloppy

• The TV kept flip flopping between being direct video of Joesph's brain and a map of his head (this was a problem last episode too). I understand displaying the map at the very start of this scenario (last episode), but anytime afters that it didn't show direct footage it was very weird considering the explicitly stated limitations of Polnareff's Stand
  • A lot of the "gotcha" moments weren't properly foreshadowed which made them feel ass-pullish. Specifically the parts where Kakoyin finds the real Lovers stand and then attaches that strand to it when it tried to escape. Even a bit with Kakoyin asking for Polnareff to run a distraction and/or like Jotaro clearly but subtly (so Dan doesn't notice) noticing the strand when he grabbed The Lovers would have done WONDERS for the logical flow of the narrative.
  • People are saying that the bit where Joesph uses the Ripple to kill the flesh bud was added? Because that was a GREAT addition that makes logical, consistent sense of what we know of the Jojo universe. The issue of course comes back to why he didn't do that ASAP to get rid of the bud and remove the time limit on the battle with The Lovers. Then there's also the case with Enya who logically should have been able to be saved (I blame Araki for both of those of course). Since she had to die here if the team wanted to stay faithful to the source material they could have added a bit where Joesph tries to use the Ripple to save her but have it fail because it was "too late" or the bud already did "too much damage" all the while show The Lover subtlety infiltrate Joesph while he tries to do this.
  • The Lovers rave bit was hilarious
  • The final ORAORAORA scene didn't have the animation or sound design I would have really liked to make it as satisfying (compare to the fight with Kakoyin or Wheel of Fortune from earlier) as I would have liked
  • The receipt bit was AWESOME

As I've said before, I'm really enjoying this series but these little narrative, logical, plot holes that keep popping up are really amateur hour here. Like was Araki just an idiot?

Firemind

Sorry, I constantly trying to improve my writing.
Or are you talking about my thought to pair of Madarame and Hato?

Disregarding the writing style, spelling and grammar, this is supposed to be a top ten romantic relationships in anime, correct? I don't understand from that paragraph what makes them special. So Madarame doesn't mind the crossdressing and Hato cleans up for him. They understand each other well and had difficulty dealing with their feelings in the past. Number two of all time. OF ALL TIME. X.X CAJUNS LOL

Keep in mind I know nothing of Nidaime.

I don't believe in the cajun scale it is an outdated relic of the past. Moe scales reigns supreme.

I am okay with the rankings except for Nia x Simon.

The super definite Chariot Anime Couple Ranking

Instead of Votes, I measure the cuteness of the couples in cajuns

01. Hitagi Senjougahara x Koyomi Araragi (Monogatari Series) - 48.5 cajun
The relationship between Senjougahara and Araragi is an interesting one. He is a Haremprotagonist with the Samaritian Syndrom and an awful active libido and she has a rape trauma and a broken relationship to her family. And yet it works out. Despite all his antics with other girls, he stays loyal to Senjougahara and she knows it. A lot of anime make girls weak as soon as they enter a relationship. Senjougahara isn't weak. If anything she is stronger than she ever was. She shows great responsibility and is able to take matters in her own hand, like when she housed Hanekawa, beat down her jealous kouhai or even jumped over her trauma and asked Kaiki to help solve a solution Araragi had trouble to solve.
Even the notion of her being initially saved by Araragi and then fall in love gets waved away. As she put's it herself: she would recognized Araragi running around and helping people sooner or later and eventually fall in love with him anyways.

A relationship between two individuals who are not the same, not the opposite, not fated; just two people who love and respect each other.

03. Nia Teppelin x Simon the digger (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) - 30.2 cajun
We have a lot of protagonists who would do everything in their power to get together again with their loved ones. The special thing about Nia and Simon is, that they don't do that. Simon could've revived or keep Nia alive with the giant amount of spiral energy he posses. But they don't want to risk the spiral nemesis and the destruction of everything. Is has to be very painful to know that there is a way to save ones life, but that the price for this path is far too high. Nia's death made a great impression on me, since their love was strong enough to not cling to life, to know they protected everything they loved, build and stood for. In an anime where you could literally throw galaxies with sheer willpower, they decided that their love isn't so petty that they would path the way to doom just to stay together longer.

04. Isaac Dian x Miria Harvent (Baccano!) - 29.1 cajun
05. Revy x Rock (Black Lagoon) - 28.9 cajun
Yoshino Takigawa x Aika Fuwa
(Zetsuen no Tempest) - 25.4 cajun
07. Laura Bodewig x Charlotte Dunois (Infinite Stratos) - 24.0 cajun
Minene Uryuu x Masumi Nishijima
(Mirai Nikki) - 21.1 cajun
09. Winry Rockbell x Edward Elric (Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood) - 15.0 cajun
10. Aila Jyrkiäinen x Reiji (Gundam Build Fighters) - 12.6 cajun

Hum , DAT Cajun scale.

I think zetsuen should be lower , otherwise i don't mind this list ..
It works.
Hitagi Senjougahara x Koyomi Araragi is one of my favorite couples so you got that one right.
Edit : yeah remove zetsuen and put Holo x lawrence instead.

I see no Holo x Lawrence from Spice & Wolf therefore this is rendered NULL AND VOID.

Why list a couple with actual chemistry, when you could go with a witty masochist and her foil?

Chariot did inadvertently encompass what I hate about typical romance writing though; that each person having appealing qualities individually ends up substituting for them being good together.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 141 Engdub

Finally Kamui is back with that spin. Nova Grapplers always deserve some time so having a multi episode duel for him and his deck is much appreciated. Dont understand who Яeversed folks at the school

Chariot

I see no Holo x Lawrence from Spice & Wolf therefore this is rendered NULL AND VOID.
:<

Disregarding the writing style, spelling and grammar, this is supposed to be a top ten romantic relationships in anime, correct? I don't understand from that paragraph what makes them special. So Madarame doesn't mind the crossdressing and Hato cleans up for him. They understand each other well and had difficulty dealing with their feelings in the past. Number two of all time. OF ALL TIME. X.X CAJUNS LOL

Keep in mind I know nothing of Nidaime.
Don't take that so serious, no need for capslocking. I knew I should've written "super mega awesome definite" instead of just "super definite". It's my personal take on the couple poll posted two pages ago, with couples I personally liked. I didn't watch too many anime, so a lit by me is flawed by default and my personal opinion is not the law of the universe.

For Hato and Madarame. It felt to me, that the two would make a pretty good couple and that the show set up the possibility of the two coming together. In my opinion they had a good chemistry, a lot of moments together and an interesting relationship and interactions.

No, he does not. Hato x Madrame is pretty shit too.
Thanks for your input.

I don't believe in the cajun scale it is an outdated relic of the past. Moe scales reigns supreme.

I am okay with the rankings except for Nia x Simon.
Not only does the list spurn Lawrence x Holo, it doesn't even have Haruka x Michiru.
Haruka and Michiru are actually a good point.

Bu-bu-but arararagi x shinobu T.T
OTP :(

also no Yuuko x Teiichi from Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

urgh you guys
Never saw that.

fertygo

Black Butler ~ Book of Circus ~ - 03

Still a lot of fun, this arc seem very promising indeed.. as the series follower, I could do without all of this re-introduction stuff though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom