• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

It's an arc/episodic show though, so it's not like the last episode we'll have the main leads losing their arm in a fight against demons and then the credits start rolling.

Don't be scared, it ends and leaves it open for more but it's not like you'll be left with cliffhangers.

I wager it's more of a "I don't want this good thing to end" kind of feeling as opposed to worrying about it ending on an eternal cliffhamger or something. Of course, I don't give a shit about Hyouka so I couldn't care less but I do understand the sentiment.

Space Dandy S2 E4

I was initially expecting this to be a spoof of Japanese high school shows, so the fact that was for some reason a spoof of 80s movies was amazing. So many references. The musical numbers. The gloriously cheesy montage. Was laughing throughout, and I'll probably watch this again tomorrow. Probably my favorite anime episode of the season so far.

Anyone know the director of the next ep? The art style looked vaguely familiar to me for some reason.

Takaaki Wada.

I wager it's more of a "I don't want this good thing to end" kind of feeling as opposed to worrying about it ending on an eternal cliffhamger or something. Of course, I don't give a shit about Hyouka so I couldn't care less but I do understand the sentiment.

But delaying its end won't do much if you're enjoying it because more of it isn't coming anytime soon. If say a season 2 was approaching in 2015 and one decided to wait for it before you watched season 1 that's understandable. But spacing the show out could only potentially cause you to forget details.

I was sad when I finished Gintama, but if I ever want to watch it again I can just start all over whenever I want.

It's an arc/episodic show though, so it's not like the last episode we'll have the main leads losing their arm in a fight against demons and then the credits start rolling.

Don't be scared, it ends and leaves it open for more but it's not like you'll be left with cliffhangers.

This Hyouka ends just fine. People just want more. But that's how it is for any good show.

cajunator

Banned
Wait what is your favorite animu?

My favorite anime cannot be questioned!

Haruka is in a mech because she was the default girl, so they picked her as the main POV.
Chihaya is a jerk because you can't do a mecha anime without some antagonists
Takane didn't exist when xenoglossia was made.

For all the problem xenoglossia has , don't forget guys it's a spin-off of the FIRST idolmaster game that was heavily retconned in the second game that gave us all the universe most of you know.
Ps: And it has the best confession ever made in a mecha anime.

Foool !!

Are you denying the power of RICE ?

Do you want yuu to teach you how rice is good for your body ?

This show has a noticeable lack of Takane and Makoto in it that is unacceptable.

They made a tank for the figures.

What kind of show is Black Butler?

:D

why are little girls driving a tank

Girls Und Panzer! Watch the show its great!

My Mental Choices Are Interfering With My School Romantic Comedy 4 & 5 - Harem Begin

Episode 5 was reference galore. So many references to Clannad, G Gundam, The Jensons, School Days and probably a few more that I missed. Episode 5's bonus bit was hilarious as always. This show.... this shows alright!

ITs a weird show but white haired girl is a cutie and so is Chocolat. It was kind of rididulous for me though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Anyone who claims to list filler in anime yet fails to identify one episode of Cowboy Bebop as filler is an outright liar.

OtoBoku 06

RzYvpKP.jpg

It's a swimming pool episode, and Mizuho can't don a school swimming outfit because of you-know-what, so they blame it on that time of the month. We also get to know more about why Mariya and the school president don't like eachother that much.

Jex

What, are you arguing the plot and/or the comedy was good? Because it wasn't plain and simple.

The animation I might've been tired and that's why it looked good, but all of the section with the boat and the sea looked pretty great.

It was the funniest episode of Space Dandy, easily, and the plot was great as well.

Mokoi

Banned
Aldnoah Zero 4

Those intro explosives looked pretty nice, and Inaho does have emotions! He smiled a couple of times during this episode. It's just once the man hits battle mode it's no longer all fun in games. Also seems we got introduced to a couple of more students. I wonder if they will end up dying. Yeah I'm sure they will. Also I'm going to call it that somehow everyone
is going to find out that the princess is rooming with them, and its going to to lead a big ol fight between if they should kill or help her.

The CG is alright with me, but those fingers gave me a good laugh. The fight scene was definitely badly directed.
Where the hell did the martian robot go to? He seemed to just mystically disappear. I mean the fuck did he leap into the exosphere.
Something I've noticed is that the martian pilots don't even seemed to be skilled at all. They just have better robots which give them a strong advantage. Also a thing that really bugs me is why the hell don't the other earth pilots boost away like Inhao did. Sure Inhao is supposed to be amazing, but really is he the only person who knows how to evade attacks.

Overall it was still enjoyable, and the vocals didn't bother me that much this time. Can't wait to see what Slaine is going to do.

Chariot

Foool !!

Are you denying the power of RICE ?

Do you want yuu to teach you how rice is good for your body ?
N-no, of coruse not.

What kind of show is Black Butler?
In general: ut's Shounen with kinda evil protagonist. One of them is literally a devil. There not above slaughtering the enemy. It has some sometimes disattracting yaoi undertones that gets stronger the more you see of the fanscene, but never really goes above that.

But I guess you're talking about Book of Circus. Book of Circus is a single arc from Black Butler, incidentally the very best that never got animated - until now. It is fantastic, it has everything that makes Black Butler an enjoyable series. A mystery in Victorian England filled with magic and dark secrets, but never too dark thanks to the general humorous undertone of the show.
Don't worry, if you know nothing else about Black Butler, this adaption takes time to explain everything important in an entertaining way. Give the first episode a shot and you will know if you like it the atmosphere and spirit of this show.
The opening is great too.

NIsemonogatari 8

O_O

Welp that happened.

Only slightly worse than most of the shit already shown this season.
Ah, that episode. The most memorable moment of Nise for all the wrong reaons.

Ohhh, I didn't see that part. I guess it is a good thing I have only seen two (I didn't think Code Geass was bad enough to be put on a list like that). Is there an actual best anime list?
I could make a list of my personal opinion, people would destroy it and you could take what isn't destroyed. I think I will do exactly that.

Maki-chan to Nau 2

09e9fb4b43.jpg

8b90fc8ad0.jpg

1409848e55.jpg

ZCxI3ag.jpg

Well, I guess I just had my world view shattered right in front of my eyes here.

So what exactly am I missing from Light Novels, because as far as I'm concerned, the peking order is Manga > Anime > LN.

Anyone who claims to list filler in anime yet fails to identify one episode of Cowboy Bebop as filler is an outright liar.
Anger, I sense it in thee.

That site's methodology is clearly borked though. Using the strict definition of filler for looser adaptations like Fullmetal Alchemist and Trigun is silly.

Quasar

Maki-chan to Nau 2

Well, I guess I just had my world view shattered right in front of my eyes here.

So what exactly am I missing from Light Novels, because as far as I'm concerned, the peking order is Manga > Anime > LN.

Well for me theres been numerous cases of LN being the preferred versions of things , even accounting for poor fan translations. Mostly because they aren't time limited and have the advantages all prose has over visual mediums.

_hekk05

Banned

Most of the time, chronological order is LN, then manga adaptation, then anime, then manga side stories.

LN explains the world the most, but it has a tendency to be written badly, especially for the first few volumes. Also infodumps. Likely to never be localised, so you may have to depend on fan translation, which is utterly unreliable.

The manga adaptation usually fixes this, and will be better for those who TLDR. You miss out on some elaboration though. Manga can be slow however, and may not even be translated, let alone localised. If they are translated though, they will have better translations than LNs, usually.

Anime is best for action/battle scenes, explains the world the least, has the least exposition, has a limited episode count, has the very high possibility of not having a sequel, and can be shit if the director or studio isn't good. Also depending on if it has good VAs. At least anime will always have subs, and you can always wait for better subs if early subs are terrible. Anime also has the highest probability of being localised.

Well for me theres been numerous cases of LN being the preferred versions of things , even accounting for poor fan translations. Mostly because they aren't time limited and have the advantages all prose has over visual mediums.
Most fan translated LNs read like something machine translated and then corrected for basic grammar.

cajunator

Banned
NIsemonogatari 8

O_O

Welp that happened.

Only slightly worse than most of the shit already shown this season.

AHAHAHAHAAAHAAHAHAHAHA
This episode is legendary.
You feel very clean now dont you?

Man people really are gonna be butthurt over Terra Formars adaption. Its gonna be so freakin satisfying. The enjoyment I'll get out of it.

This show is going to be so controversial and probably not allowed to discuss here.

It's absolutely essential given the first arc of Season 2 is actually the second half of Neko.

You know what else is essential to understanding monogatari?

Kizu.

HINT HINT SHAFT

HINT HINT

What is Kizumonogatari about that makes people want Shaft to adapt it so much?

Starting a new show on my backlog!

Bodacious Space Pirates 1

I'm not sure what I expected, but this is starting out pretty nicely. Parfait scene was...special.

OOOHHHH A GOOD ONE! A lot of hard science fiction in it at first but it evens out to a fun space adventure with yuri.

Hyouka 1

its beautiful

That at least it certainly is. I'll give it that.

Jexhius made a good "must-see anime" list some months ago.

Edit: Here it is...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108355005&postcount=356

A list with no Haibane Renmei and Kinos Journey on it is difficult to accept.

Bodacious Space Pirates 2

lol, glad to see she brought the parfait with her.

I do have to wonder why Marika calls her mother by her first name.

Okay, that target practice scene was pretty great, getting into the philosophy behind a pirate.

So I'm sort of thinking this might turn out like Star Trek. Marika reminds me a bit of Kirk.

Fanart exists of this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom