• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watch anime. I don't do in-depth analysis. It's hard enough figuring out the technobabble explanations of some series.

image.php

Same here

Chariot

I just watch anime. I don't do in-depth analysis. It's hard enough figuring out the technobabble explanations of some series.
It's not so much about in-depth analysis, than explaining what one didn't like. When one has issues with an anime its rarely just "i don't like Key-eyes". And if one says "I think it's badly written", than it's very much appreciated that one elaborates his statement.

we have too much oil and gas in this part of canada, mech to civil jobs are probably 10:1 here.

my spec is in materials/composites/electron microscopy.

and im sitting here updating weld procedures

You doing mechanical engineering?

I'm doing mechanical engineering as well, just finished my first year, man the workload is intense. I don't know how I'm going to handle the next few years.

Blusby

Idealistic woman verbally slapped and belittled. That's hardly reading too much into it.
If the narrative wants the audience to empathize with Saber and see the events in a different way, it's sending some very mixed signal given how appealing Rider's bullshit is made to look.

I'm not talking about the whether Rider was being sexist but what the show is saying.
What? No, he was berating her because of her ideology, it has nothing to do with her sex. The show was clearly saying at that point that there is something wrong with how Saber views the world, I really don't see how one can just see it as *sexist* just because the subject is by sex a female.

Well despite lack of saguka I thought some early battles were pretty well done like Arlong Park and Alabasta but if you still don't like the series after Arlong Park it probaly isn't for you. Personally I think OP is easily the best of big three by far.

How about Water 7 Arc that had some great battles.

TUSR

Banned
You doing mechanical engineering?

I'm doing mechanical engineering as well, just finished my first year, man the workload is intense. I don't know how I'm going to handle the next few years.

yeah im actually working as one, not a PEng yet though.

your work ethic and habits will get better by second/third year and it will seem easier when it really isn't.

Blusby

Let's assume he doesn't want to go the police. There is zero reason why he doesn't confront the doctor. There is no reason on his part to assume that the process isn't reversible. The doctor in theory, would have just as much to lose if what happened went public.
See in the manga, when he stabs himself it's with the intention that he'll then call an ambulance and they'll have to replace his ghoul organs, something the anime conveyed really badly. Though you are right about the Doctor, the only rationale that I can think of is that he probably thought ghoul and human organs looked identical so he'd get under the radar if he had to go in for a second surgery, however if he just told the doctor that he was a ghoul there was a risk of being reported.

Jarmel

Banned
See in the manga, when he stabs himself it's with the intention that he'll then call an ambulance and they'll have to replace his ghoul organs, something the anime conveyed really badly. Though you are right about the Doctor, the only rationale that I can think of is that he probably thought ghoul and human organs looked identical so he'd get under the radar if he had to go in for a second surgery, however if he just told the doctor that he was a ghoul there was a risk of being reported.

That first bit isn't the most logical of thought processes but I can buy a 15 year old being desperate enough that he might try it as a test and in worst case, he had a shot of getting fixed.

Narag

I just want to thank you for showing me that Susumu Hirasawa video.

The guy is a musical genius and has such an authentic style. It was immediately recognisable that he had his hands in Paranoia Agent.

Oh yeah, it was really neat to see the evolution of some of the music in that vid.

Blusby

That first bit isn't the most logical of thought processes but I can buy a 15 year old being desperate enough that he might try it as a test and in worst case, he had a shot of getting fixed.

Lol, he's actually 18, I guess the adaption also forgot to mention that he's a university student. Yeah, the stupid plan makes sense given its buildup in the manga but here since all this stuff is happening like 2-3 mins after he wakes up in the hospital it just comes off as ridiculous.

Narag

On the subject of women/sexism in Fate/Zero, Saber's gender is incidental to the conversation in episode 11. Every idealist in the series suffers for those ideals. Saber being female at all is more a result of this being a prequel to F/SN than anything else.

For what it's worth, my initial reaction to that scene wasn't entirely too dissimilar from Femmeworth's Felt Saber was woefully underdeveloped too throughout until I learned more about Type/Moon bullshit (of which I had zero prior exposure) and better realized the consequence of it being a prequel work.

The bigger issue, which becomes more pronounced in the second half, is how frequently women are used as accessories for male character suffering. It's a consequence of it being a story about men being men, but the same pattern repeats more than it probably should.

FZ Series spoiler:
heh this made me realize how much shit happens to any woman Kiritsugu gets close to

Blusby

I need to watch more anime and talk less about it. Should I really avoid Fate Stay Night?

Yeah, the good adaption is only like four months away. Watching the DEEN version will only make you hate most of the cast bar Rin because of how terribly represented they are, also Okada wrote the script.

Chariot

I need to watch more anime and talk less about it. Should I really avoid Fate Stay Night?
I don't think of F/SN as a good show, but people talk often about the show and at least Archer. Also there are some funny doujinshi regarding F/SN.

Blusby

Indeed, if you want a T-M fix you should watch the Kara no Kyoukai films if you haven't already. Also check out one of Ufotable's older series Futakoi Alternative, it's damn great.

Hugstable

Banned
Yeah, the good adaption is only like four months away. Watching the DEEN version will only make you hate most of the cast bar Rin because of how terribly represented they are, also Okada wrote the script.

There's a new version of F/SN coming out? Damn this really was a good time for me to start watching Fate/Zero! Haven't seen the original F/SN so I can't say much about it's quality, but I heard it just wasn't done well at all compared to the prequel. Kinda excited since I'm already through like 5 episodes in one morning :D

TUSR

Banned
If you have something else to watch, yes.

I have tons to watch. Example: I haven't even finished Madoka.

The new adaptation isn't that far away. I would just wait honestly.

What are you looking for? Action? Shonen? Slice of Life? Comedy?

So F/SN coming out in the fall/winter is worthwhile. I should post my list when I get home, there are so many good shows on it.

I don't think of F/SN as a good show, but people talk often about the show and at least Archer. Also there are some funny doujinshi regarding F/SN.

Watch Maison Ikkoku!

DEEN version fucking sucks.

Jesus that is a lot of replies.

There's a new version of F/SN coming out? Damn this really was a good time for me to start watching Fate/Zero! Haven't seen the original F/SN so I can't say much about it's quality, but I heard it just wasn't done well at all compared to the prequel. Kinda excited since I'm already through like 5 episodes in one morning :D

Yep, same studio (UFO table) doing the adaptation. One of the reasons I suggested you watch it as the sequel is to be released soon.

I have tons to watch. Example: I haven't even finished Madoka.

Whats wrong with you? Go finish it! :p

TUSR

Banned
Friends don't let friends watch DEEN F/SN. Also don't let them watch Guilty Crown so don't watch that either.

DEEN is the studio that did F/SN right?

Please notice me, TUSR-senpai >///>

Uguuuuuu~

Yep, same studio (UFO table) doing the adaptation. One of the reasons I suggested you watch it as the sequel is to be released soon.

Whats wrong with you? Go finish it! :p

We just went over this, I talk too much and watch too little. :(

Hunter X Hunter 137

THEY KEPT DEPARTURE FOR THE ENTIRETY OF THIS SERIES. THANK YOU BASED MADHOUSE.
New ED is alright, but I'm pretty sure that's just the rest of the song for the last ED.

All those characters from across the series showing up again was nice. Forgot if that was in the manga too. Excited to see this arc animated. Except for that one part.

cajunator

Banned
Depends on what route the FSN remake is going down.

Fate Route is tame, Unlimited Blade Work is
I AM THE BONE OF MY SWORD awesome
and Heaven's Feel is batshit insane.

Fate Stay is based on a specific route isnt it? What could they do differently? Doesnt it still have to have Shirou in it? Therein lies the problem.

I've forgotten what this word means.

Joke on them though: I'm a skeleton, I have no brain!

Aww yeah

Hehee. I guess youll be alright if no brain is necessary.

Fate/Zero Episode 2 and 3

I went back today to rewatch Episode 1 to get a better understanding since I still had alot of confusion about who is who since they introduce so many characters in the beginning. I like this whole idea of each of the families have their own Servents, but there are also two characters who probably not meant to be the final Holy Grail War participants but they end up with Servants anyway. So far my favorite characters are Kiritsugu, Sabre, and Rider/Waver combo, but mostly Rider since he's been pretty funny in alot of the scenes he has been in so far. That one guy who summons that Frogish eyed looking servent Bluebeard (who is his master anyway, didn't catch his name) is kinda interesting as he has no clue what he just got himself into.
I thought Bluebeard was gonna end up being all nice guy.... but then noooooope. Sorry kid :(
Really like the whole premise and setup for this show so far, and the ED that got me so hyped is actually the OP!! <3

Rider is more awesome than you can even fathom at the moment. Hes far and above all the others and Waver is adorably useless in his presence.

Jex

Aldnoah Zero 1

That was super predictable.

I hate the way the mouths are drawn in this show. The necks also look too thick at times. Music was nice though.

I'm also getting tired of evil advanced civilizations with old european military clothing. One of my least favorite tropes. Spend some of that R&D money used on making giant robots into your fashion industry FFS.

I don't think it's fair to say that the Vers/Martian's are "evil" when we know very little about them.

With regards to drawing upon European-style military clothing, well, I'm afraid that's never going to go away. I mean, at least here they integrate with Kings, Princesses, Castles, and Knights.

mankoto

Hamatora 12
I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I saw an ending like that when it aired. Sure the final fight itself was very anticlimactic, but what followed suit was just very random and unexpected.
I guess Art learned how to use his Minimum? Probably (or obviously) a healing based one?

Well, onward to Re:Hamatora.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cajun: everything moe
Firehawk I have no idea what his is. Is it ranting about a good show he's nitpicking before he goes to watch some crappy one and not say anything?
cajun: squee
firehawk: troll
No idea myself actually...
I feel sad that I don't post enough to be known anymore. lol

Since there's going to be confusion of misinformation here is the correct list:

:chet = life, particularly large ones. The more :chet the better.
:thonik = hometown
:dtl = yaoi
:sdburton: yuri
:cajun = hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
:firehawk = mono no aware
:wonzo = QUALITY
:duckroll = false hype (not to be confused with duckroll future which is CG)
:cnet = Oh dear oh dear oh dear
:kayos = a state of confusion that is unique to the member kayos90
:firehawk means

Sakura falling
K-on graduation scene

and similar scenery, dude extremely weak at those.
But there we go. :p

:name was a thing that was supposed to be a bit of fun then got out of hand.
The only reason :firehawk exists is because you banned mono no aware though. And then it just snowballed from there. lol

Funny, new users who haven't had the :lol or :D emoticons on GAF probably don't even know why they exist in the first place!

Jex

To be fair, it wasn't as dramatically assured as I probably implied on my previous post (after all The Borrower Arrietty was pretty successful) but it is something I'm lately reminded of after the recent developments on the studio and the very own pessimistic outlook from Mr. Miyazaki (totally normal coming from him though).

Considering that they really need all their movies to be "big hits" to keep Ghibli in business I'm surprised they aren't resorting to making slightly more 'mainstream-y' movies that are designed to pull in money. When Marie Was There doesn't look like that at all and I feel part of Arrietty's success comes down to it being a known IP.

Dennis

Banned
Watched the first episode of Tokyo Ghoul. I liked it. Animation was great too.

But now I hear rumblings the manga is much better.

Should I read that instead? I am not going to do both. That never works for me.

For what it's worth, my initial reaction to that scene wasn't entirely too dissimilar from Femmeworth's Felt Saber was woefully underdeveloped too throughout until I learned more about Type/Moon bullshit (of which I had zero prior exposure) and better realized the consequence of it being a prequel work.

Speaking of the consequence of being a prequel work, I always felt that the end
was a bit weak, because it was forces to end in a certain way leaving exactly x y and z characters alive so the end would coincide with the start of the sequel.

Jex

Watched the first episode of Tokyo Ghoul. I liked it. Animation was great too.

But now I hear rumblings the manga is much better.

Should I read that instead? I am not going to do both. That never works for me.

Having zero experience with the source material myself, you should probably wait an episode or two to see how the adaptation pans out. If manga devotees insist that the source material is vastly superior, and you aren't watching purely for the animation and amazing scenes of people eating hamburgers, then I'd imagine you should drop the anime.

Friends don't let friends watch DEEN F/SN. Also don't let them watch Guilty Crown so don't watch that either.

Funny story. Last year I was at Best Buy and saw Guilty Crown Complete Collection for like $15. I was like "oh the art looks cool but I should still ask my trusted followers on Twitter."

I asked and within a few minutes with the Blu-Ray in my hands waiting in line I got responses from like 15 people telling me it wasn't worth it. I thought to myself "that was quick and everyone is telling me no". Almost bought it out of sheer curiosity of how bad everyone was saying it was. Luckily (or not, as I still have never seen it) I was short by a few bucks and put it back on the shelf.

Narag

Speaking of the consequence of being a prequel work, I always felt that the end
was a bit weak, because it was forces to end in a certain way leaving exactly x y and z characters alive so the end would coincide with the start of the sequel.

Felt the same for that particular set of characters required for the previous work, thought the strength of the Rider/Waver resolution balanced it all nicely though.

Captain Earth 14

Psychic kissing and all.

But seriously, is there ever going to be a point or plot to this show? Because Star Driver it ain't.

Why people can't learn the lesson of original mech series and Bones? At this point it can't be coincidence.

Xam'd. Eureka Seven movie. Eureka Seven Ao. Heroman. Star Driver.
It's a cry for help!

Blusby

Fate Stay is based on a specific route isnt it? What could they do differently? Doesnt it still have to have Shirou in it? Therein lies the problem.

Not entirely, first half is Fate route and in the second they mix in a lot of stuff from UBW and HF where it pretty much goes anime-original (including the terrible usage of "People die when they are killed" line) and it's all poorly done, hell they even ruined the church basement scene which is pivotal to understanding Shirou's character. Also,
Shirou >>> Kerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom