• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunter x Hunter 137

Another solid episode, of course. It's basically only people talking, as it's the start of a new Arc, but it's interesting to see so many new characters, a new situation, and some old fan-favorite characters returning.

Jex

Yeh that certainly is part of the problem, which is why I emphasize the anime as I have not played the VN. The article I linked also mentions that as a major issue. The anime studio should've realized that trying to cram in multiple routes just won't work well. But then again there are all the fan expectations of having their favorite girl featured. That said, that's not a valid excuse. If you want to make a proper anime adaption then do what's right.

Well, enough of me bashing Clannad.

Though, talking about adapting visual novels actually reminded me of Steins;gate. I actually really like that anime for the most part but it also suffers from some weird plot points and pacing, which come from their attempt to give every character their own episode at some point.
Adapting Visual Novels in really problematic because:

A) You've got to deal with the extremely text heavy, book like nature of the original works which weren't created with animation in mind and

B) The problem of dealing with multiple story paths.

By itself, A) shouldn't really be that much of a problem because a really talented director would find a way to convey the text through visuals, or cut the text down to it's essentials, or some combination of the two. However, most of the time, it seems that directors/writers just try and stuff all the words of the VN into the anime leaving making the show bloated and poorly placed. The same seems true with wordy LN adaptations.

B) Could be fixed by simply deciding on a canon route but studios are creating these shows to appeal to the fans and so they end up pandering to as many people as possible.

mankoto

Watched the first episode of Tokyo Ghoul. I liked it. Animation was great too.

But now I hear rumblings the manga is much better.

Should I read that instead? I am not going to do both. That never works for me.
After reading some of the manga, I'm honestly not sure I can say the anime does it justice. It's presented nicely, but it skipped so much content I've become cautiously optimistic regarding the anime, especially with how short it'll be.

I will say that the skipped content can possibly written into episode 2, but it would feel kinda awkward in that regard.

Hyouka 18 - And Now Everyone is Curious
hyouka18.jpg

A few minutes into this episode I was like "awww I thought we were going to be getting into more interesting mysteries" and then Fukube told the story of lightning. I was interested. And it seems Oreki thought the same thing as he uttered the words I never thought he would say
"I'm curious"
. Everyone's reaction was so amazing. Chitanda
being curious because Oreki was curious
was hilarious.

And for the later part of this episode, I see what they're trying to do! Trying to be all subtle and sneaky about it. It will be interesting to see if their relationship goes anywhere.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still don't fully understand it myself. I like to pretend I do when I see longtime posters get banned and I deal with the idea of possibly never interacting with them again. feels bad
I once went to an old forum I used to post on out of curiosity. Like here it also had a similar community area away from the main board where you became closer with fellow members and it was rather odd to look back on all these old posts of people one would talk to everyday just to wonder where they are now (the community was completely dead). Conversation of the past forever preserved. The feelings I experienced at that moment was explained to me to be mono no aware.

Mature

Oh, shoot, gotta update my "anime characters eating burgers" folder.

Adapting Visual Novels in really problematic because:

[...]

B) Could be fixed by simply deciding on a canon route but studios are creating these shows to appeal to the fans and so they end up pandering to as many people as possible.
Anime has gotta step up it's game and adapt every route.

Clov

Shirou >>> Kerry

I couldn't disagree more. I played through FSN in spite of the protagonist being Shirou. He's incredibly annoying. Kerry is a very flawed individual, but I was way more interested in him than Shirou. Frankly it's wonderful seeing how his efforts turn out for him. Unfortunate, but very deserved, and very satisfying.

I couldn't disagree more. I played through FSN in spite of the protagonist being Shirou. He's incredibly annoying. Kerry is a very flawed individual, but I was way more interested in him than Shirou. Frankly it's wonderful seeing how his efforts turn out for him. Unfortunate, but very deserved, and very satisfying.

Is it weird that I really didn't care for Kerry until Season 2 of Fate/Zero? Because up until then I was like "well..... he's there".

Jex

It's not so much about in-depth analysis, than explaining what one didn't like. When one has issues with an anime its rarely just "i don't like Key-eyes". And if one says "I think it's badly written", than it's very much appreciated that one elaborates his statement.

You're truly describing a beautiful, idealistic world there.

mankoto

Re: Hamatora 1

They shouldn't have included the OP to actually make me think he was dead for more than 2 minutes. What happened to Art? Why is suddenly evil? Sure dying(?) changes a man, but still.

cajunator

Banned
Barakamon, Sabagebu, Nozaki kun, Hanayamata, Himegoto
which to watch first? I think Nozaki was my initial plan. Thats the one with the red haired cutie named Sakura I believe.

What does 'DTL' mean? Google tells me "does the look" but that doesn't seem to fit. Is it a reference to one of the GAF users here that someone abbreviated to DTL iirc? Anyways, explanations folks!

All the name things became a bit much. Basically the main ones you would need to know are :Chet for boobs, :cajun for all things adorable, :firehawk for mono no aware, :sdburton = yuri and :DTL = yaoi BL
Those are the ones that started the whole thing anyway

its often easier to just type, squee, or butt, or shit.

I would agree to that.

Any show this season to give me a dose of stupidity? I need something like Samurai Flamenco or Brynhildr this season pls.

Aldnoah seems to fit that bill nicely. what is it about recent mech shows being created by lunatics?

Bleh, I don't understand anime licensing. Seems like a mess.

It really is. Even worse when you are a collector and many series come out DVD only for months, then a bluray comes out after youve got the DVd. Its so frustrating and a waste of money but its difficult to predict. Then you risk the original show going completely out of print and becoming expensive. It really sucks.

Clov

Is it weird that I really didn't care for Kerry until Season 2 of Fate/Zero? Because up until then I was like "well..... he's there".

It's not weird at all! We didn't really get to know him until the second half. At first I just thought he was cool, but there were so many other characters more interesting to watch. In the second half, we get to understand his goals and the reason for his methods. That's what makes it so satisfying to see how he ends up.

Jex

Hunter X Hunter 137

THEY KEPT DEPARTURE FOR THE ENTIRETY OF THIS SERIES. THANK YOU BASED MADHOUSE.
New ED is alright, but I'm pretty sure that's just the rest of the song for the last ED.

All those characters from across the series showing up again was nice. Forgot if that was in the manga too. Excited to see this arc animated. Except for that one part.
Confirmed Badhouse, ded studio.

Re: Hamatora 1

They shouldn't have included the OP to actually make me think he was dead for more than 2 minutes. What happened to Art? Why is suddenly evil? Sure dying(?) changes a man, but still.

I dont think it was really supposed to make us think that it was so. The pr and such before release plus the key visual kind of ought to have made every
believe nice was never dead

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not 100% sure what it is even after finding out :p
You'll find that Aria is basically mono no aware the anime. lol
I was and still am obsessed with the concept. The Love Live finale even had it!

your SAO2 episode 1 review just seemed either extremely troll or sincere.
I feel like SAO is now my new legacy. lol

I once went to an old forum I used to post on out of curiosity. Like here it also had a similar community area away from the main board where you became closer with fellow members and it was rather odd to look back on all these old posts of people one would talk to everyday just to wonder where they are now (the community was completely dead). Conversation of the past forever preserved. The feelings I experienced at that moment was explained to me to be mono no aware.
I just decided to go back to an old forum I used to visit to see how things were going. I had a billion posts on it but just stopped after I came to GAF and it does feel kind of weird.

Shergal

Barakamon, Sabagebu, Nozaki kun, Hanayamata, Himegoto
which to watch first? I think Nozaki was my initial plan. Thats the one with the red haired cutie named Sakura I believe.

Based on both your tastes and actual quality, Barakamon should be a no-brainer.

Jex

Man people are being so harsh on tokyo ghoul based on one (admittedly hilarious) episode

Are they going to change writers next episode? If not, all the problems from episode 1 will continue in episode 2, but there's no guarantee that the quality of the animation will hold up in comparison.

Mature

Man people are being so harsh on tokyo ghoul based on one (admittedly hilarious) episode
People were nuts about it during the premiere at AX. A couple of friends and I went to go watch it and accidentally placed ourselves in the front of the line (there were MANY people behind us), it was sort of funny that we got into a packed premiere with almost no waiting and we didn't even really care about it. The theater was pretty receptive towards it.

GITS Arise 3

This show is ass.
Aww. I enjoyed the first two. Was there anything different about this one? Or did you not like it already going into it?

Speaking of OVAs (or movie— whatever), do we know when Cencoroll 2 is?

phaze

If you are willing to continue beyond the 400 episodes you'll be rewarded with some of what I find was the most consistently nice animation of it, in the form of the 'Impel Down Arc'. And search always for the Murad (@0XMURADX0) sanctioned goodness!

The 400 episodes is frankly bit too much if OP won't get the hold of me soon but if it does I will be looking forward to it ! Thanks for the link, it's a great resource.

And Matsumoto jumped ship huh ? Shame, he did some of my absolutely favorite scenes in Naruto. But I suppose he didn't do anything for Shippuden proper in a long time.

cajunator

Banned
I'm disappointed in you Woofington.

BAD DOG NO BISCUITS

Daily dose tier

I need to watch more anime and talk less about it. Should I really avoid Fate Stay Night?

Yes you really should avoid it. Theres literally nothing to be gained from watching it over Fate Zero.

I have tons to watch. Example: I haven't even finished Madoka.

So F/SN coming out in the fall/winter is worthwhile. I should post my list when I get home, there are so many good shows on it.

Jesus that is a lot of replies.

Finish that one right now!

DEEN is the studio that did F/SN right?

Uguuuuuu~

We just went over this, I talk too much and watch too little. :(

Yeah Deen did it. They are kind of notorious for QUALITY but I have a soft spot for them and like a lot of Deen anime. Same with Bee Train.

Not entirely, first half is Fate route and in the second they mix in a lot of stuff from UBW and HF where it pretty much goes anime-original (including the terrible usage of "People die when they are killed" line) and it's all poorly done, hell they even ruined the church basement scene which is pivotal to understanding Shirou's character. Also,
Shirou >>> Kerry

Hmm. thats interesting. so Shirou can actually be written in a way thats not insufferable?

I know that feeling. Several old forums that were never super popular just faded away along with all the people on it. Those were forums full of younger people who gradually abandoned it as they got older. It never reached an equilibrium like Gaf which is so popular it is consistently gaining new members to replace the old ones.
Still, Im 32 years old posting on Gaf. If I havent stopped by this point Im not going to!
So yay more squees for a long time!

People were nuts about it during the premiere at AX. A couple of friends and I went to go watch it and accidentally placed ourselves in the front of the line (there were MANY people behind us), it was sort of funny that we got into a packed premiere with almost no waiting and we didn't even really care about it. The theater was pretty receptive towards it.

Aww. I enjoyed the first two. Was there anything different about this one? Or did you not like it already going into it?

Speaking of OVAs (or movie— whatever), do we know when Cencoroll 2 is?

Nothing different except for a terrible story. The first two OVAs were decent but this one ... they just phoned it in :L

Blusby

Hmm. thats interesting. so Shirou can actually be written in a way thats not insufferable?

Yeah, he's a lot better in UBW and HF, mostly if not for that fact that he becomes a dynamic character in those routes. The sexist comments in Fate route are there because Nasu just doesn't know how to write romance, so he ended up having Shirou keep reminding Saber that she's a woman among other things. Though the reasoning behind Shirou's comments is that he feels uncomfortable about people putting their lives at risk over his given his heavy survivor's guilt and says "girl's shouldn't fight" because he knows it's irrational yet doesn't know how to put it into words, as shown when he has absolutely no problem with Rin taking on an active role despite being female. These comments only appear in Fate route though, because of the Saber romance and don't come up at any time during UBW or HF, though I still can't defend how awkwardly it's handled, which is why romance shouldn't be in Ufo's adaption.
The church basement scene sheds light on his character, but from the comments I've read from DEENonlys it sounds like it just went over people's heads, probably because of how poor the scene was directed and scripted.

Link Man

Banned
Clannad 13

Ah, so she does know how to play the violin. I wonder if her putting too much pressure on the strings nowadays has something to do with her painful memories.

Well, that explains her reaction to the bear costume.

Wait a minute, is that an apple pie on the coffee table? Nice callback to two episodes ago.

Holy wow at all this dedication Okazaki's putting in!

Kyou complaining about reckless bikers? What world are we living in?

Not really much to say about this episode.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, he's a lot better in UBW and HF, mostly if not for that fact that he becomes a dynamic character in those routes. The sexist comments in Fate route are there because Nasu just doesn't know how to write romance, so he ended up having Shirou keep reminding Saber that she's a woman among other things. Though the reasoning behind Shirou's comments is that he feels uncomfortable about people putting their lives at risk over his given his heavy survivor's guilt it's still awkwardly handled.
The church basement scene sheds light on his character, but from the comments I've read from DEENonlys it sounds like it just went over people's heads, probably because of how poor the scene was directed and scripted.

Ah I see. Ill give his character another chance in the new version then.
I always did find his behavior stupid in FSN. But it had Saber and Illya and Rin so I couldnt hate the show ever.

You'll find that Aria is basically mono no aware the anime. lol
I was and still am obsessed with the concept. The Love Live finale even had it!

Hm... It's some kind of moment of reflection about things that have passed and might not happen again or something like that?

One of my biggest issues with Shirou is how boring his attire is. I mean I'm not saying go full anime with his clothing, but Kiritsugu is so stylish. Shirou looks like he shops at Walmart.

Hagi

It was a pretty dire first episode so I'd say the criticism is fair. It's not like there's a lot of overreaction posts with full capitalization and gifs. Hopefully we get some actual horror in future episodes.

GITS Arise 3

This show is ass.

This ending is ass.

The other two were kind of blah so I'm not expecting much from 3. I'd like GitS to go away again for a few years so we can forget this mediocre adventure.

Blusby

One of my biggest issues with Shirou is how boring his attire is. I mean I'm not saying go full anime with his clothing, but Kiritsugu is so stylish. Shirou looks like he shops at Walmart.
Well, at least he has that new stylin' Adidas tracksuit!

Kids on the Slope ep. 1-4: The melodrama is strong with this one.

TUSR

Banned
Yes you really should avoid it. Theres literally nothing to be gained from watching it over Fate Zero.

Finish that one right now!

F/Z references with Jibril piqued my interest.

Yeah yeah, I know. Im a bad person for not watching Madoka already.

Jex

Nothing different except for a terrible story. The first two OVAs were decent but this one ... they just phoned it in :L

Well, the problem is that Arise just feels like it exists because I.G. have a popular IP they wish to exploit, not because they have a story they wish to tell. This is true for many shows, I'm sure, but it just feels like no-one cared that much about the show itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom