• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That works for NPCs but for real players? Even in large raids people swarm over monsters like ants.

What I was saying, it's the same stuff essentially. In game game designers make npcs stay idle to not overwhelm the player or wouldn't be balanced, even if it's fake, in a fiction the writer make npcs stay in the background waiting their turn to fight unrealistically so they good guys can win.

Nozaki-kun 7

This is being genius. So many good jokes! First part was brilliant, hits after hits.

Haikyuu!! 20

Intense match, this is starting to be the best straight up sport series in years.

Sabagebu! - 07

Well, I didn't expect a hunting association making an ad here...
Second part was crazy as always.
WIPjkFP.png

I didn't have to pixellate it by myself!

Space Dandy S2 7

Not bad. Really sharp drawing and lots of cool, dynamic poses, and striking key animation.

Thoraxes

Sorry that award goes to Gintama. It truly is the best.

We agree to disagree then.

Good day, sir.
Chihayafuru 1

Wonder about the qualification of this as a sports anime. Even though I wouldn't classify this karuta game as a sport, I guess it makes sense if they're going to focus on Chihaya and the paper boy competing in it. But I'm a bit hesitant since I'm not sure I see how they could pull off a longer series focusing on a game like this. This episode was fine enough, but long term I dunno. Guess it'll depend on what they do with the characters.
The comparisons become a lot more apt the further in you get.

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 07

Ah, Yuuki's a unisex name. Stealth missions are always some of the toughest to undertake. Even when Sakura has a decent stock of spells at this stage of the game, the challenges she's presented and the ways she overcomes them make each capture feel well thought out. It's a slightly more cerebral kind of MacGuffin hunting. I'm loving the Leave It To Kero segments, too. A chance to hear Aya Hisakawa enthuse about the universe and the various facets of it. Though in today's world, Tomoyo's wristwatch and cellphone would be the same thing.

jgminto

DRAMAtical Murder 7

So I guess they're going to rush through everyone's route in an episode each? That sounds like a total mess. It might work for Koujaku with his boring route but the others could be disasters. This also probably means no romance so fuck that.

Jex

[Hunter x Hunter 2011] - 104

It's really interesting to see how far we've come in such a short handful of episodes. To the casual viewer perhaps the shift in tone that has occurred between 'Ant Investigation arc' to the 'Spy Infiltration arc' might be something that's easily overlooked because of the training arc right in the middle. However, on a rewatch, it's quite clear. As it took years and years to actually produce this arc I'm not surprised that Togashi would come up with some new ideas along the way.

Leaving aside completely obvious plot elements like Gyro, the true horror-vibe of earlier part of this arc is almost completely gone. During the opening stories of the Chimera Ant Arc we saw plenty of truly unpleasant and shocking things, perhaps the most memorable being the brain surgery, as well the Ant who keeps other humans as pets, and the other Ant who enjoys watching people puke up their own organs. There's some real First of the North Star/Violence Jack violence, bleakness and despair at this stage of the arc which really isn't carried forward.

For whatever reason we Togashi never returns to the horror and shock of the earliest part of the arc. While the way the rest of the Chimera Arc doesn't exactly develop in a traditional direction it is far more standard Hunter x Hunter.

Glasslip 7

1. They still haven't properly explained why Yuki and the girl that likes him live in the same house.

2. Why is Yuki all of a sudden uncool? What caused him to look uncool the second time he ran?

3. David has no appealing qualities.

4. Oh the off-timed freeze frames are still dumb.

cajunator

Banned
Does anyone in AnimeGAF own the Gurren Lagann Complete Blu-Ray box set? If so, can you please PM me? Thanks.

Thoraxes has it.

After watching Angelic Layer I want to check out Gundam Build Fighters, but only the TV version is available. :

The two shows feel very very similar to me. In a good way.

Chihayafuru 1

Wonder about the qualification of this as a sports anime. Even though I wouldn't classify this karuta game as a sport, I guess it makes sense if they're going to focus on Chihaya and the paper boy competing in it. But I'm a bit hesitant since I'm not sure I see how they could pull off a longer series focusing on a game like this. This episode was fine enough, but long term I dunno. Guess it'll depend on what they do with the characters.

Well its structured like a sports anime. Everything has that kind of feel. Its still a competition that requires practice and takes a long time to get good at.

Kieli

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 7

Mikorin truly is best girl. Someone needs to license this quick so I can throw money at them.

Nozaki Kun 7

Probably the most consistent show this season. Lots of great jokes and gags this time, was laughing all throughout the episode.

Mikorin is really just the best. Those bishoujo model poses were legendary.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nozaki-kun
K3kukYwl.jpg

The photo-referencing is weird on this one inasmuch as the backgrounds look nothing like the rest of the backgrounds in the series or even the scene.

Sabagebu
9YY0ifsl.jpg

4Wd5IUNl.jpg

You know, because of Gintama, I was expecting a much more trolly punchline to the joke. Like it turns out the tomatoes are actually disgusting or something. I suppose the mild trolly punchline was fun enough, but it was a bit of a let down given my unreasonable expectations. lol

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 07

Continues to be the best and most consistent show.
Mikorin stole this episode.

Space Dandy 20 (sub)

Definitely a solid episode.
Couldn't really say which was better, dub or sub.
That song is totally catchy though.

-------------------------------------------

Sabagebu
You know, because of Gintama, I was expecting a much more trolly punchline to the joke. Like it turns out the tomatoes are actually disgusting or something. I suppose the mild trolly punchline was fun enough, but it was a bit of a let down given my unreasonable expectations. lol

Yeah, I was also expecting some huge punch line after all that build up.

Sabagebu - 06
I don't drink
Tomato juice
, this episode made clear why i shouldn't.

I don't
Eat rice that was on the cheek of other girls
, this episode mae clear why i shouldn't do that.

I don't
eat bentos
, this episode made clear THAT i should do that.

Waiting next week for the glorious return of Animegaf favorite character ,
The geek -otaku !

Mr.Jeff

Log Horizon Ep whatever - 13
This is ridiculous. The main storyline which follows the internal politics while keeping the logic behind it all simple while a second storyline carries on explaining the mechanics of the world or rather MMO ideas to those that may not know while providing development to characters who may end up useful later? So gooood.

Thank you for all those people who were so vehemently recommending this!

cajunator

Banned
This is ridiculous. The main storyline which follows the internal politics while keeping the logic behind it all simple while a second storyline carries on explaining the mechanics of the world or rather MMO ideas to those that may not know while providing development to characters who may end up useful later? So gooood.

We had the luxury of comparing it directly to a bad show in the same timeframe too :D

Nafe

He's already been assimilated.

image.php

Nafe posts are always enjoyable to read. Narag's on the other hand...

Thank you for the compliments though. :)

Yeah it's a fairly common thing; what starts out as a Drama CD with one set of cast changes into a completely different cast when an adaptation is announced. Of course sometimes they decide to stick with that casting as well! Personally I think they ended up with a great cast for Aria. Especially Hazuki Erino for Akari despite her being a relative newcomer compared to the rest of the cast. :)

Some people seem to get quite upset with some of the changes. I can understand that as with an anime you not only get the voices but the visuals to go along with it. To try and spin a positive out of it though, it can be interesting having multiple people voice the same character. I like this seiyuu but I wonder what this seiyuu would be like reading the lines idea.

Well I'm one of those sad people that like comparing the manga and the anime and notice all the little changes they made. Not in an overly "this is superior to that" way but more as a point of interest of why they adapted certain scenes the way they did. Even if the story is largely the same, I really recommend seeing both (even if it's just for Kozue Amano's amazing artwork).

I don't think there's any problem with that. I do it myself as it can be interesting to see how a work was adapted. As long as it doesn't get overly critical or venomous like you mention, where one is just hating a particular work simply because it wasn't adapted 100% exactly as is in the manga/light novel.

Edit: Last post on the page. Bah.

I might not have been trying to read everything for a long while now but if you're responding to me then I'll still see it. :)

I don't read posts about animes I haven't watched...at least not the entire post. #SpoilerCulture
Actually when I started Doremi I was torn between watching it or GW, but since GW was a comedy series and Doremi was closer to being completely subbed I watched Doremi,(
and compared to a comedy series it's easier to watch without subs, like I did with the last 5 or 6 episodes
) I'll get to GW later...later...

Okay, that fair. I'll do that myself sometimes, such as recently with going through Gurren Lagann, as it was a more popular work and I didn't want any details spoiled. Hitokage might have got annoyed but I think he knew I was like that,haha.

I was only kidding around a bit as well and wasn't completely serious. I actually didn't know anything about GW such as it being a comedy. I really like the show and was going to post that I really think you should consider watching it. I'll think it's too bad it you ultimately don't enjoy it but as long as you give it a chance I think that's a good idea. :)

wonzo

Banned
I meant the broadcast version. I'm really adverse to watching broadcast versions these days knowing the kinds of fixes that can be implemented for home video.
Ah, if it helps I didn't really notice that many quality bits (as i was 2busy focusing on all the mecha sakuga)

Firemind

Hatewatch? Sabagebu! is pretty good.

Nozaki-kun is better and more consistent though, I'd go for that instead.

Nozaki-kun does seem like the easier show to make fun of because of the shoujo tropes.

Leaving aside my abhorrence to hatewatching as a concept, how do you hatewatch the best show of the season?

Hatewatch as in waiting for the first anime to make me laugh out loud since god knows how many years. It's like a challenge! I'll go over Gintama and Galaxy Angel when I have more free time, but these two candidates are more topical.

Nozaki-kun does seem like the easier show to make fun of because of the shoujo tropes.

Hatewatch as in waiting for the first anime to make me laugh out loud since god knows how many years. It's like a challenge! I'll go over Gintama and Galaxy Angel when I have more free time, but these two candidates are more topical.

But Nozaki-kun itself is making fun of the shoujo tropes already.

Narag

I meant the broadcast version. I'm really adverse to watching broadcast versions these days knowing the kinds of fixes that can be implemented for home video.

Ah, if it helps I didn't really notice that many quality bits (as i was 2busy focusing on all the mecha sakuga)

IIRC part of the praise we dumped on it was due to the lack of QUALITY moments. I never even gave any thought to possible bluray fixes until it was mentioned in the above post just a bit ago.

Mature

I wouldn't worry about it too much. With the show being as stellar as it is, I can't imagine there being too many notable changes to a BD release.

I guess you and the show will make fun of it together.

I must add that the animation team and the whole team in general behind the anime really took clues from author to adapt those arcs as close as possible as the book to get the maximum effect , this include mutiples references ( even in the earlier episodes ) to things that happens later or even in books that aren't adapted yet. Log horizon is a Top-tier adaptation in term of pacing and details and this really show each episode.

IIRC part of the praise we dumped on it was due to the lack of QUALITY moments. I never even gave any thought to possible bluray fixes until it was mentioned in the above post just a bit ago.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. With the show being as stellar as it is, I can't imagine there being too many notable changes to a BD release.

I guess you and show will make fun of it together.
Hmm, well that's good to hear. I wasn't expecting that given it was a series made to sell models/toys.

Thoraxes

Ah, so that's what it was about!
I can't believe how long this "Yoko is 14" thing has lasted.
I don't think it was ever said in the show, or by anyone. That page is probably the closest to anything concrete.
Yeah, it's from one of the books included in the BD BOX. The sheer amount of concept art, rough sketches, design iterations, and interviews in there are all solid gold.

Tons and tons of information in there.

Narag

Hmm, well that's good to hear. I wasn't expecting that given it was a series made to sell models/toys.

My impression going in was, "Looks like a bad commercial, will watch for 2D mecha action."
I don't think I was alone on that either but instead we thankfully got an unexpectedly great show all around.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's hard to believe the author intended it to be satire, but who knows. I feel that this group of misfits has been done to death though.

Why would it be hard to believe? It's clearly what she is trying to do.

Though it's an affectionate parody at worse.

mankoto

Nozaki-kun 7
Poor Sakura. Her heart was messed with at least 3 times in the first half.

Mikoto needs to learn how to not say anything instead of saying too much.

Mr.Jeff

I must add that the animation team and the whole team in general behind the anime really took clues from author to adapt those arcs as close as possible as the book to get the maximum effect , this include mutiples references ( even in the earlier episodes ) to things that happens later or even in books that aren't adapted yet. Log horizon is a Top-tier adaptation in term of pacing and details and this really show each episode.
Yeah, after finishing ep 15 just now I can definitely see what you mean.
Rather than a static path of plot point following continuously, it feels more like a consistently progressing thing that follows with the logic of the evolution of the world.

I mean with the most recent revelation,
while it was known that the NPCs had become sentient and that perhaps the monsters don't necessarily follow the same rules as the game anymore, the jump to Rudy being revealed as an NPC who has become an adventurer class (but not completely) and the raid by the fish men
is just such a brilliantly planned next step.

If I didn't have to be up for work in 5 hours, I'd finish the last 10 episodes in one chunk!

Midonin

Girls und Panzer Anzio OVA

I found the balance of girls and the tanks much more to my liking than the TV series. If the movie's ratio is roughly like this, I'll be fine. Because that brief moment where Yukari was sneaking around Anzio and looking at the extensive food culture of the school genuinely interested me, especially with how it formed a running theme of the episode. Seeing a brief look at Caesar outside of her roleplay identity was also a nice little treat. The characters are still not terribly defined, and the battles are interesting if not my cup of tea, and overall this was likely one of the episodes from the series I liked more. Another being the after party OVA with the Dairanger poses.

Soma

Nozaki-kun Ep. 7

iLvTlviWVq7hm.png

Some parts flowed better in the manga but thoroughly enjoyable regardless. Mikoshiba definitely steals the show in whatever scene he's in but Nozaki himself can be surprisingly entertaining too. When I started this series I was worried that Nozaki would be this constant emotionless character but it's great to see he has a lot of moments where he shows that he's just as (if not more) eccentric as the rest of the cast.

Chiyo is just too damn adorable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom