• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Space Dandy S2 ep 7
After listening to both english and japanese version of dropkix's lonely night. I gotta give the edge to the japanese version because it flows better and holy shit Junichi Suwabe can fucking sing. He should consider starting a band for himself.

Midonin

Sabagebu 07

So her mom and the rules of our society are still limiting factors in this world. There are some walls that can't be cleared. Part B made me wonder what the reception to the show would be like if this was the normal state of affairs. I have a feeling that the reception would be even more positive, which again makes me wonder exactly what the overseas fanbase is looking for in their anime characters. (Nyanako or Naru [Hanayamata] is more my speed.) That's a tangent for another day. Not a bad episode overall, though. The show's starting to reach a point where it can build on previous running gags.

I see. Yeah I've never tried to watch an episode as soon as it goes up other than on PC because for some reason it takes a couple hours for it to show up on PS4 after it does on PC.

I've seen it happen even on PC at the moment an episode goes up, but usually only if it was within the first minute or so.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sabagebu! Episode 7:

Well, I wasn't expecting to see the serious side of Sabagebu! but I got to admit that was pretty touching without being forceful unlike some 1990s American cartoons that I could name. The second part was alright but honestly I think Nozaki-Kun has tackled that gag with much more aplomb. The third part was a ken bit of misdirection and I think Urara Kasugano needs to have a restraining order placed on her.

Jex

[Space Dandy] - 20

I felt like perhaps something slightly more could have been achieved with this premise but it was still a pretty solid episode. Lots of creative use of stills ala JoJo to avoid the difficulties involved in animating singing and dancing.

Taruranto

agnBtY2.jpg

Oh wow, I completely missed this shot the previous episode...

Midonin

Akame 07

Aside from the sadistic quest for love that's brewing as a subplot, this episode is already starting the trend of things becoming much bloodier and more brutal on a regular basis. The scene that stood out to me, though, was the one where Akame has that big emotional outburst about how tough it is to remain calm in the face of all this. For her largely stoic exterior to be broken though, that makes it a good moment, for me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Akame ga Kill! Episode 7:

It is odd to thing of this as a good show, okay that is on the merest edge of good, but the actions and characters are solid and consistent and in spite of tonal whiplash this remains a better adaptation then the likes of Tokyo Ghoul or Tokyo ESP. Hell, it is better put together then Attack on Titan. That being said, this show doesn't really know how to pull off the Game of Thrones political manoeuvrings at all. I am a bit hesitant to speak these words but this may be the best pure action show of the season.

cajunator

Banned
Wait I thought you've already seen D-Frag, unless your talking about a re-watch.

Nah I havent yet. I know its a glaring ommission.

Cardcaptor Sakura 06

That's one of the sweetest
there really was a ghost all along
endings I've seen. My day has been bookended with kittens and loving mothers, and overall, it's pretty sweet. Tomoyo's insistence on everything, including ghost hunting, makes her pretty amazing. And Kero seems to have caught onto the general fashion trend that the future means we'll have big shoulder pads. Even the dead are at peace in this show. I haven't seen a magical girl show this calm since Umi Monogatari.

UWEEEEEEEEH!
CCS is one of the sweetest shows ever. It is very very innocent and theres nothing really objectionable. Its just feel good moe and a really really adorable magical girl story.
Not even really a villain, just using magic for good deeds.

Is Shinsekai Yori going to fix my post Moribito and Juuni Kokuki needs? It's been so many years and I find myself drift back to these scenes.

I dont know about filling the void, but if you want a good immersive and engaging story, From The New world will have you covered!

D-Frag! 03

i0mKT8TCsyqV5.gif
ibvxTU0lKdutpt.gif

TAKAO

ibzDsYtc5rUYrX.gif
iFeyGK4f38JjL.gif

BEST

iyEbHK5gu4GUH.gif
im8Ut3yuLJjm7.gif

GIRL

Ok yall have definitely convinced me to watch this.

did Utena ever get a proper dub? it seems like it would've fit right in on Toonami back in the day from the few eps I've seen so far.

i can see why yall brought it up so much in Star Driver and KLK convos.

I liked the original dub. My first tag was "Only watches Utena dubbed" when I admitted to liking it. But is it actually a good dub, I would say no.

Phatmac

First part was pretty dramatic which is fine I guess. The show is at it's best when it's trying to be funny. Second part wasn't that great to me and the third part was fun overall. Solid episode.

Why he's directly copying his future self who has 20 years worth of experience of course he power up faster than fate who went through is normal training. Anyway I liked Shirou in UBW pretty much because he permeates symbolism, UBW is a symbolic representation of his ideal and ideology in general. The ability to put shape to your mind (tracing) and make said ideal a reality (UBW). Much like Shirou's struggles in he's only able to produce fleeting temporary, because the reality of the world crushes it much like the world physically prevents any reality marbles from being created. Then you have the symbolism with the sword and Shirou's character, he doesn't judge people and he doesn't take into account the morality of the people he was forced to kill (as archer mocking tells Saber), a tool like a sword conveniently used conveniently throw away. Then there's the symbolism with the Japanese archery, his poem and many others.

That's why I find it difficult to understand somebody that says he's a straight up bad character. He's flawed but he has more depth and thought into him than pretty much any character in Fate by far and many characters in general. You can write essays on the dude. The more you think about it the more you realise what the author was trying to get across. For example read the literal translation of Archers UBW and compare and contrast with
Shirou's

You're looking at him with a lot of thought into his character, I'm sure the same could be done for plenty of characters people dislike though. But fine point taken. I don't think I've ever outright stated he's a horrible character, I just don't like him because what I am shown at face value of what he is and what he stands for, is completely uninteresting. He was another kid who stands up for being a hero, and usually just felt like standard shonen tropes. My dislike with Shirou aren't entirely aimed at him, he's only a sympton of FSN. Which I enjoyed enough to finish, but I didn't get what the big deal was with the Fate series until I watched Fate Zero. I disliked the light-hearted moments (Taiga) and the semi-harem FSN had, including the little sister figure who goes full onii-chan. I disliked the character designs outside of Saber and 'returning' cast members of Fate Zero.

It's been a while since I've read FSN though. The VN was infinitely better than the anime. Now that I've grown as an individual maybe I'll enjoy it more for its subtleties.

Well, symbolism in itself doesn't for a good character, but I really find Shirou to be an interesting character nonetheless. More importantly, I realize that Woofington has implicitly admitted that he heavily dislikes Kotomine in FSN, so his entire opinion is automatically invalidated.

You are confusing me with someone else obviously, because I don't dislike Kirei. I disliked his long-winded discussion with Archer in FZ, but I liked the character. I said I dislike Rin, and I mean that.

Superflat

Sengoku Collection episode 2-9

98Q40.jpg

Pretty much on board with this show. The sheer variety in storytelling and breadth of themes, tones, emotions, is great. The general tone is uplifting and there's less fanservice than I expected after watching the first episode. I ended up really liking the clean art style too. Good shit, given the premise is incredibly thin (and ridiculous). The anthology format is perfect for this series and I'm honestly surprised at how much they can stuff into 20 minutes at times. A great course in how to establish characters in a single episode.

Really love the OP and ED song as well, manic and quirky as hell.

Phatmac

Can I give Inaho an early award for worst protagonist of the year to this robot already? The guy is one of the worst protagonists I've seen this year. Still shows no fucking emotion and acts like a tactical veteran despite being a teenager. Then he has the nerve to hit my boy Slaine. Fuck that guy. Also too much coincidence with finding a great ship this episode. This show could be a lot better but it probably won't.

cajunator

Banned
You know, people should be using Takao gifs more often.

I agree!
One thing I love about shows of this sort are the reaction faces. Seems like D-frag will deliver.

School Days 7

Holy crap, Setsuna is tiny.

Kotonoha is an idiot. A complete buffoon.

Haha, they keep using that Mario 64 star sound effect.

You don't mess with somebody else's phone, you witch.

Yikes, talk about mood whiplash!

...do the show's writers just really hate Kotonoha, or something?
I'm starting to wonder if she'll ever break and go psycho.

Well, I guess I spoke too soon.

Yeah....This is going to be interesting :)

I was thinking yesterday that the hatewatching hasn't been "as bad" this season as it was with the first. Perhaps because we don't have kayos spamming fan art and one line posts any time anyone even mentioned the show this time round, there seems to be less SAO hate watch traffic for the second season. Is it better than the first season and therefore less irritating? Are fewer people watching it? Has all of that moved to the show OT?

Its more like people know what they have with SAO. They dont rage anymore because its expected to be awful. Plus Shinon happens to not be insufferably bad and the show doesnt just treat her like window dressing as much as some of the previous characters.
Its threatening to ruin her lately though.

Angelic Layer Ep. 26

This was absurd and nothing was earned. The animation wasn't even that good.

Truly excellent series. Sorry you didnt enjoy it. One of my favorites that stood out to me.

Haiyore Nyaruko-san F OVA announced

(maybe i'm super late, idk. the picture is cute as is Tamao)

I would love more Nyaruko san so this makes me content.

I didn't even realize Gurren Lagann was airing in Toonami, good for people there they'll experience a great anime and the dub is pretty great. Hopefully this means we'll be getting a decent price blu-ray

Midonin

Episode 18 is one of the best individual episodes of an anime I've seen. I'd rate it comparably to the Father's Day episode of Smile Precure.

Completely serious question here, but can anybody think of anime where the bad guys were Nazis and/or possibly including Hitler?

I mean I know of the obvious Hellsing which had bonus KKK members, but anything else?

PK Gaming

Sabagebu! 7

So... what was up with the complete tonal shift in part A? It seems like they tried to do drama and with a dash of comedy, but it ended up being total bust. The main characters were pretty bland too (almost to an eerie degree...) and the ending was flat.

Part B had a great premise, but I feel like they squandered it a bit by not giving it more time. Part C was run of the mill Sabagebu! Incidentally, it seems like Urara's new hairstyle carried over to the next episode(?)

I didn't even realize Gurren Lagann was airing in Toonami, good for people there they'll experience a great anime and the dub is pretty great. Hopefully this means we'll be getting a decent price blu-ray

TTGL on Toonami is like a dream come true for me.

I always get excited when more people watch it for the first time. Now I get to read tons of impressions all at once!

Clov

Completely serious question here, but can anybody think of anime where the bad guys were Nazis and/or possibly including Hitler?

I mean I know of the obvious Hellsing which had bonus KKK members, but anything else?

The Laws of Eternity has a guy who looks like Hitler as the final villain. He's even riding on an elephant! In hell!

Please do not watch this movie. It's terrible and you'll most likely regret it.

First Squad: The Moment of Truth

Brilliant, brilliant anime.

I've heard mixed opinions on this. What do you think makes it so good?

mankoto

Just spent the last day catching up on One Piece after (started from 3D2Y) and left my brain dead tired. Was hoping for SAO's quality writing to make me feel better, but unfortunately this left me more frustrated than rejuvenated.

Akame ga Kill! 07

Needed more Esdeath Esdese
I'm now realizing Tatsumi was always kind of a moron.
I think I spotted some censoring, booo
I completely forgot about these three guys in the chronological order of this series. Was expecting Jaegers immediately.

Sabagebu! 07

Momoka turned into Kashima for a while there.
First part was more serious which was...weird honestly. Didn't really seem to flow well.
Second part could've used some more time, probably had the best set up.
Third part was the funniest.
Need more of The Boss.

Akame Ga Kill! 7

Bulat is going to get bodied right?
Also how can a vicious person like Esdeath think of love while doing all that vicious work?

Everyone deserves some lovin'

jbug617

Banned
Akame Ga Kill! 7

Bulat is going to get bodied right?
Also how can a vicious person like Esdeath think of love while doing all that vicious work?

Akame Ga Kill having the psycho leader wanting to fall in love is only one of my many issues with the manga. I really wish they hadn't resorted to anime situations such as harem-esque humor.

Oh, so my Goldfish Warning! comments aren't good enough for you, huh? Hmph!
Needs to be subbed more frequently if I am to pimp it.

I don't read posts about animes I haven't watched...at least not the entire post. #SpoilerCulture
Actually when I started Doremi I was torn between watching it or GW, but since GW was a comedy series and Doremi was closer to being completely subbed I watched Doremi,(
and compared to a comedy series it's easier to watch without subs, like I did with the last 5 or 6 episodes
) I'll get to GW later...later...

Ojamajo Doremi ♯ 37
Hey, the ones who had to win the race were the fairies. Also how can Atarimeko-chan use magic if she's neither a witch nor an apprentice? Inconsistencies!

Atarimeko-chan is a miracle of nature, don't question the Atarimeko-chan! ò.ó
And I don't see you praising Hana-chan enough,
Ojamajo Doremi ♯ 40
This episode, man. So goood. In a season that has concerned itself with parents and their children, it stands out as the most sensible and touching meditation on the theme.

I'm most impressed at how the protagonist isn't any single person but the whole Harukaze family, and everything is tied organically without a hint of melodrama or unnaturalness. A few flashback shots and a couple of lines is all that is needed to understand Haruka's plight. The grave mistakes she made in the past with Doremi still haunted her, causing her without notice to disregard Pop's feelings and wishes. Raising children is tough work and can be emotionally exhausting, but in the end it's all entirely worth it. That is what Ojamajo Doremi says here, and it's done beautifully.

It places firmly as the best I've seen in the franchise so far.

This episode is so good! And it's going to stay being one of the best episodes I have ever seen of anything.

They manage reach this level again in later seasons, right? right?

Also after having watched it, it's apparent now that the best way to consume the movie is in conjunction with this ep. Gotta keep that in mind on the occasion I revisit it.

Is they do. They seem to have a thing for episodes 40s, and them there is some good things is Mo~tto!, Na-i-sho and Dokka~n!. :)

Aw yiss, I wonder if that means the tourney gonna long as hell, or we gonna see the rookies get into 2nd year.

The 2nd year, to tell the truth the start of the new team without all the senpais...CHRIS-SENPAI.
Ace of Diamond - 44
This eventual triangle love need co come ASAP in 2nd year..

Btw they so gonna lose at this finals/

Yeah the manga is like 30-ish volume isn't it?

I hope we can get multiple season out of it like Major :D

Haruicchi is his only love.

I'm glad it got more episodes. :)

=======================================

[Aoi Honoo] - 03~05

9SKxG32.jpg
PCT2XTE.jpg

cMN8wSD.jpg
uIDUPhs.jpg

I want to meet a Jump editor!

After reading so much about the fast reading technique of editors it was amazing seeing it for the first time.
That じょうぶなタイヤ CM Anno did. So good.
If you want to watch the remaster watch the episode.
:p
Yano is so good that explanation of whats happening with Honoo in the end of #3.
And he finally understands.
And the best still is all the smugness and explaining stuff!

jman2050

Sabagebu 7

Hunting is serious business, Placing an ad in a late-night anime doesn't seem to be efficient advertising however!

Urara needs to be in prison. Mokarin's mom needs to be in the CIA or whatever the Japanese equivalent is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom