• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
iPpUeqD.png

Firemind

I would hope that Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso would be up there:

- beautiful trailers
- clearly noitaminA, not newtaminA
- super-popular manga (in Japan if not in the West)

I'm guessing the only reason it's not as hyped as Nodame Cantabile (a very similar sounding show) was before its airing is because Nodame was readily available (legally) in English manga, while KimiUso isn't.

You mean it's a faux-Nodame; my favourite anime series to grace this planet? Thanks for notifying me, BluWacky!

Yay. More people watching Madoka.

EDIT: I feel compelled to rewatch it with this many new Madoka viewers.

EDIT2: Mokoi is just changing avatars to fit the topic of conversation.

Finalow

guess it's time to start Tokyo Ghoul manga and drop the fucking anime. I have some interest in it so I'll give the manga a try.

guess it's time to start Tokyo Ghoul manga and drop the fucking anime. I have some interest in it so I'll give the manga a try.

The manga is so much better, considering they are adapting it like a shonen battle manga which it is not. Basically a advertisement for the manga. The only thing good about the adaption is the opening and ending visuals. Though as a standalone it's good but compared to the manga it's disappointing.

zulux21

usually I am not one to go on and on about how the manga is vastly superior (for example the anime adaption of agami ga kill is just fine) but in this case... the manga is vastly superior so give it a shot. Most of my big complaints about the anime aren't even in the manga lol.

Oh boy, I've been watching SAO and the protagonist is a whiny little guy, and a Gary Stu to boot. Sigh, why. I'm still in the beginning, but I hope it doesn't tarnish the game tomorrow.

Ok, I'm watching Madoka right now, and how is this a R - 17+ in MAL? And that beginning is just....wtf.

Shit, naked girls in the opening music. C'mon, at least tell us that, if I was watching this in public I'll be damned.

Ok, I'm watching Madoka right now, and how is this a R - 17+ in MAL? And that beginning is just....wtf.

Shit, naked girls in the opening music. C'mon, at least tell us that, if I was watching this in public I'll be damned.

It's not an OP without naked girls floating in dreams or space having newtype moments

mankoto

All will be understood in due time, friend.

mankoto

Re:Hamatora 6
So Murasaki is no more... That blows. He was one of the few in the group with an actual name. And Art will die and stay dead if you kill him any way possible that doesn't involve his heart? Okay, whatever.

From what I've heard and saw on the interwebs, Hanamogatari happens before the ending of S2/Nadeko Arc. Is that true?

That was what I had thought, hence my confusion at some of the talk in this thread.
And what's wrong with that description? Seems interesting enough to me.

For what it's worth, I've read all of the translated manga and rather like it, save a couple minor annoying moments early on.
It's nice to hear that the manga is good as the premise of the show has a lot of promise.

Mr.Jeff

Log Horizon - End
It's nearly 2AM and I'm not really good at writing down breakdowns so I'll keep this brief.
Thoroughly entertaining series with only a few bugbears such as the "cake" moment. On the whole this is a very competent series that works hard at melding the analogies of the MMO staples into the reality the characters face themselves in.

It's not perfect since in creating such a large cast, the authour leaves himself unable to devote time to much characterisation beyond a chosen few (as the show points out a few times) which can be to it's detriment at times.

I highly look forward to seeing where the final goal of the second series is; if it will even finish there?

Thank you to all for the glowing recommendations which encouraged me to watch it.

No. This is after everything. Arararararararagi and senjyougahara are graduated from highschool.

Thanks for clarifying that. I'm going to wait a little longer to see if CR uploads the first episode.

After that, back to the eternal wait for Kizumonogatari.

Upcoming HappinessCharge episode

Ep 32 - Iona's First Love!? Innocent Form Starts!
Seiji's friend suddenly confesses to Iona. Megumi has a grand plan of having everyone go on a group date at the zoo. Are those two hitting it off!?

Iona is so cheap she gets Seiji's leftovers

mankoto

Keep watching..
Quite the timing.

Re:Hamatora 7
So he didn't die. He was just severely beaten.... Okay I suppose. Considering the last few episodes have been kinda heavy, it's good this one had a much more comedic tone to it. Although, that doesn't disregard the fact that he
lost his minimum.
The next episode well put the series back on track as well. We saw Hajime's minimum briefly last season, it might be the focus for the next few episodes if the preview means anything.

cajunator

Banned
It has manic pixie dream girl written all over it.

The BEST kind of girl!!!

madoka-1

Wtf is this shit? I don't like magic girl shows, so uhh, why am I watching this crap? it's got great production values and that's about it. But, I'll press on I guess...

Youll see...
This isnt one of those hatewatches. Madoka is well crafted.

This show is suddenly going to get very fucked, right? I can tell the writing is on the wall it's too cheerful and happy. Theres something off about how happy everyone is. That white rabbit cat is going to do something fucked up isn't he? This is done by the same guy who did fate/zero right?

Starting episode 2 now.

Ah.
Ahahahaha.
This show is excellent dont worry.

You guys love seeing people watch your fucked up shows don't you all.

Looks like I will then.

hell yeah thats what we live for!

Saw this earlier and it was pretty adorbs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I played that game for like, five minutes before I lost interest. Everything about it just felt so low-key, lol. Just didn't feel right to play after playing games like Fire Emblem Awakening and Super Robot Wars.
I think I like stock syfy over stock phantasy, so I enjoyed what I played of it. lol

Hanamonogatari

As mentioned above, I give you a catalogue of SHAFT/Shinbo shots that can be mixed and match to create any episode of a SHAFT series:

Big Head & Extreme Close Up

White Ben Day Dark Foreground & One Big Object

Small Fig Ben Day & Depth

Cast Shadows & Side Light or Top

Reflection & White Ben Day & Silh

Newspaper/TV & Contrast

Now lets not pretend this is all SHAFT have to offer! After all they are innovators so let me present the other famous SHAFT shots they have in their vocabulary:

Top Down Shot & Inverted Shot

Lets not forget the most deliciously money saving shot of them all, the Extremely Long Shot

If I missed any please let me know!
Like you said, there's only so many ways to make talking interesting!

Phatmac

Quite the timing.

Re:Hamatora 7
So he didn't die. He was just severely beaten.... Okay I suppose. Considering the last few episodes have been kinda heavy, it's good this one had a much more comedic tone to it. Although, that doesn't disregard the fact that he
lost his minimum.
The next episode well put the series back on track as well. We saw Hajime's minimum briefly last season, it might be the focus for the next few episodes if the preview means anything.
Yeah Hajime hasn't been used much at all so hope she gets some more development of her power.

Just watched episode 2 of Madoka, and that art when they fight is just so surreal, I wonder what it would be like to watch this anime under the influence, shit would get even crazier. Right now I just started the infamous episode 3, let's see if I shall continue this or not.

JoeFu

Banned
I love SHAFT because they have an identity and certain style. Even if it is overused I can't help but smile whenever I see an extreme close up, a super long shot , and of course the amazing head tilt. I can't get enough of that stuff.

I can't ever tell when what studio is animating a show as I just picked up anime about a year ago, but seeing a SHAFT show just makes me happy.

cajunator

Banned
I love SHAFT because they have an identity and certain style. Even if it is overused I can't help but smile whenever I see an extreme close up, a super long shot , and of course the amazing head tilt. I can't get enough of that stuff.

I can't ever tell when what studio is animating a show as I just picked up anime about a year ago, but seeing a SHAFT show just makes me happy.

I feel the same. No matter how cheap they are they have an excellent sense of direction and style that makes their shows pretty fascinating. It has a very specific feel that is unique to Shaft productions.

jgminto

The problem I have with SHAFT stuff is that it's just so overdone. When I first saw Madoka I thought the unique style was really interesting but now that I've seen more and more of their work, especially the cheaper productions, it just feels like a formula or a checklist instead of artistic expression.

With all these Paras responses to that Nozaki-Kun girl, I'd hate to imagine an anime girl that looks like Koffing...

Koffing's Red/Blue Pokedex Entry said:
Because it stores several kinds of toxic gases in its body, it is prone to exploding without warning.

Ano Hana - 7

Okay, I like this show better when it focuses more on the contrast between the childhood and teenage years of these people. I don't like it when the focus is away from that and the Menma story and is just a bunch of teenagers doing stuff.

Thankfully, this episode had a bit more of the former than the last two did, but half of the episode still seemed very slow, and without much going on.

At least now something interesting seems to be going on with the reveal that
Menma's mom seems to be hiding something.

Midonin

Card Captor Sakura 08

Syaoran does shake things up a bit, and I enjoyed the history of how Clow Reed got his powers. Europe and China working together and then the powers migrating to Japan. In Clamp's world, everyone is a big happy family. I'm not sure what the idea of magical girls and older men is, because that showed up in...

Sailor Moon 29-30

29 just makes me think that it needed more turtles. Since my first exposure was the toku version, I can see Makoto and Motoki together naturally, with lots of turtles involved as a cornerstone of their relatonship. Usagi really does fancy herself some sort of guru of love despite having no real skills in it yet. As for 30, I'm not 100% certain, but I think I watched an episode of Ranma 1/2 by mistake. And I've never even seen Ranma.

The problem I have with SHAFT stuff is that it's just so overdone. When I first saw Madoka I thought the unique style was really interesting but now that I've seen more and more of their work, especially the cheaper productions, it just feels like a formula or a checklist instead of artistic expression.

Only zetsubo sensei & bakemonogatari are the series where they "abused" and those séries have just way too much of talking.
Their output of pani poni dash or more recently nisekoi were much less obvious and had a flow of those "things" that made sense in context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom