• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon 29-30

29 just makes me think that it needed more turtles. Since my first exposure was the toku version, I can see Makoto and Motoki together naturally, with lots of turtles involved as a cornerstone of their relatonship. Usagi really does fancy herself some sort of guru of love despite having no real skills in it yet. As for 30, I'm not 100% certain, but I think I watched an episode of Ranma 1/2 by mistake. And I've never even seen Ranma.
I thought I was the only one to watch PGSM before the anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
"Shinbo", assuming he's a real person, is an auteur in both the positive and negative sense of the word. The thing is, he's the only person outside of Yuasa who seems confident enough in expressing a specific visual aesthetic that most people seem to be afraid of doing in TV anime.

Even Nisekoi, which is complete garbage, is elevated by being adapted by Shaft. If it was a JC Staff or whatever adaptation, it would have had little redeeming value beyond the waifus sparking silly waifu-wars.

Gazoinks

"Shinbo", assuming he's a real person, is an auteur in both the positive and negative sense of the word. The thing is, he's the only person outside of Yuasa who seems confident enough in expressing a specific visual aesthetic that most people seem to be afraid of doing in TV anime.

Even Nisekoi, which is complete garbage, is elevated by being adapted by Shaft. If it was a JC Staff or whatever adaptation, it would have had little redeeming value beyond the waifus sparking silly waifu-wars.

For sure, which is the main reason I'll always have an affection for SHAFT even when they occasionally get on my nerves. Not enough auteur-driven stuff in the TV anime world.

cajunator

Banned
The problem I have with SHAFT stuff is that it's just so overdone. When I first saw Madoka I thought the unique style was really interesting but now that I've seen more and more of their work, especially the cheaper productions, it just feels like a formula or a checklist instead of artistic expression.

Most studios have a "look" to their work. I just feel like Shaft found something that really works for their way of doing things and they should stick with it.

mankoto

Just watched episode 2 of Madoka, and that art when they fight is just so surreal, I wonder what it would be like to watch this anime under the influence, shit would get even crazier. Right now I just started the infamous episode 3, let's see if I shall continue this or not.
You'll continue. People always continue.

Yeah Hajime hasn't been used much at all so hope she gets some more development of her power.
It just feels so weird when a character sits back and does nothing only to be a Deus Ex Machina or some huge plot device or something.

Shergal

Having an army of incompetent minions is a visual aesthetic?

DEATH™

Gus, I need some advice again... Just like you guys said, I have watched Toradora, and also watched Pet Girl of Sakurasou (which is very good IMO, since I can totally relate to sorata and nanami). And despite kinda generic, I liked Say I Love You... I guess Im a sucker with char development shows...

So, any more recommendations?

Link Man

Banned
DEATH™;126037355 said:
Gus, I need some advice again... Just like you guys said, I have watched Toradora, and also watched Pet Girl of Sakurasou (which is very good IMO, since I can totally relate to sorata and nanami)

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

cajunator

Banned
What does she evolve into?

A goddess

Oh boy, I've been watching SAO and the protagonist is a whiny little guy, and a Gary Sue to boot. Sigh, why. I'm still in the beginning, but I hope it doesn't tarnish the game tomorrow.

Oh boy. If you think that now...

Ok, I'm watching Madoka right now, and how is this a R - 17+ in MAL? And that beginning is just....wtf.

Shit, naked girls in the opening music. C'mon, at least tell us that, if I was watching this in public I'll be damned.

Honestly the nudity doesnt really factor into the show much.

jgminto

Only zetsubo sensei & bakemonogatari are the series where they "abused" and those séries have just way too much of talking.
Their output of pani poni dash or more recently nisekoi were much less obvious and had a flow of those "things" that made sense in context.

Mekakucity Actors was the show that made it feel super obvious to me.

wonzo

Banned
iC6xjS3OicYO4.png
take it easyy

You'll continue. People always continue.

I liked it so far, the artwork is astounding, and the story is quite good.

Oh boy. If you think that now...

Honestly the nudity doesnt really factor into the show much.

Yeah, he seems like he will grow into a selfish little bastard very fast, but eh, as long as the 14 episodes before the game are not that bad I'll just give up on the rest so I don't tarnish my memories.

And that comment about the nudity was just a joke thought, it is very quick and just for a bit.

Jarmel

Banned
Space Dandy 2-7

I'm loving this second season so much more than the first. They really hit their stride in the later half of the first season and it's been top notch since that point.

Clov

So my GF finally dug out the two Haibane Renmei DVDs she has; together with the one I have, we only need the first DVD volume to have the whole series!

Unfortunately her two cases are pretty badly damaged. We'll have to get replacements, but the disks themselves are fine.

Syrinx

Chihayafuru 3

IEKdz45.png

Wow, fuck you.

Too much crying and shit for my taste. "I doubt we'll ever see each other again!!!!!!!" Dude, chill out. I like sensei and his dynamic with Chihaya though.

I presume they'll go back to high school Chihaya and friends now.

Ano Hana - 8

I feel like the events of this episode should have happened 2 episodes ago.

Like, I'm amazed they
put up with him for this long.

At least now we're finally getting some plot advancement now that
the entire group truly believes in ghost Menma now.

zulux21

DEATH™;126037355 said:
Gus, I need some advice again... Just like you guys said, I have watched Toradora, and also watched Pet Girl of Sakurasou (which is very good IMO, since I can totally relate to sorata and nanami). And despite kinda generic, I liked Say I Love You... I guess Im a sucker with char development shows...

nana
skip beat
lovely complex
kimi ni todoke
chihiyafaru
nodame

did I mention nana :p

Quasar

DEATH™;126037355 said:

My Little Monster maybe.

mankoto

Hanayamata 7
So Yaya's band falls apart and she takes it out on her friends. After a lot of buildup and ultimately mean words were said, they forgive eachother and Yaya is officially an official part of the club now.

zulux21

I tried to like Nana, but what I saw of it was basically the anime version of a CW teen soap.

if that is the case I really need to start watching CW teen soaps as they are loaded with fun music, and a story that after the first few episodes just keeps up a nice pace of character growth :p

easily nana is my most listened to OST... so many great songs to it
winter sleep is rather pretty
meanwhile both rose and lucy rock (and these are just a few of the songs... i mean the people who did the music for the anime actually went on an Nana tour with just music from the show :p)

Jarmel

Banned
Terror in Resonance-6

This soundtrack really is stellar. Good lord that final piece reminded me of a faster version of Innocence Green.

Madoka-2

Witch Realms are like someones on a baaaad trip.

Not much has happened. Madoka is a moe-blob, Homura is going to be the villain with good intentions, Sakuya is annoying and Mami is life. QB makes me want to hit someone, his smug ass face could make even Gil angry. Man, if anything happens to Mami I'm going to rage.

Well onto EP3. Guess this is where ''shit gets real"

Hitsugi no Chaika Season 1

Finished the show today and really liked it overall. Chaika was the highlight without a doubt for me, she is to adorable. I assume at the end of the last episode that Viivi
turns into another Chaika? Only thing I can assume by what happened to her
I suppose we will find out this fall.

Working! Season 1

This show was great, Popura was one of my favorite parts of it. Didn't think a show about people working at a restaurant would be so great. The cross dressing episodes were a highlight as well and Popura's reaction to it. Going to watch season 2 soon, looking forward to it.

if that is the case I really need to start watching CW teen soaps as they are loaded with fun music, and a story that after the first few episodes just keeps up a nice pace of character growth :p

easily nana is my most listened to OST... so many great songs to it
winter sleep is rather pretty
meanwhile both rose and lucy rock (and these are just a few of the songs... i mean the people who did the music for the anime actually went on an Nana tour with just music from the show :p)
Granted I didn't watch much of it and it has been a few years, but you're making it sound much more light hearted than I remember it being.

Well shojo are pretty much all teen soaps.
Well, that's true enough.

Working! Season 1

This show was great, Popura was one of my favorite parts of it. Didn't think a show about people working at a restaurant would be so great. The cross dressing episodes were a highlight as well and Popura's reaction to it. Going to watch season 2 soon, looking forward to it.

I know right. As someone who is almost exclusively a giant robot show watcher, this was an amazing thing to randomly stumble upon years ago when it first aired. Simple premise and does not take weird anime brother sister love harem twists.

mankoto

Madoka-2

Not much has happened. Madoka is a moe-blob, Homura is going to be the villain with good intentions, Sakuya is annoying and Mami is life. QB makes me want to hit someone, his smug ass face could make even Gil angry. Man, if anything happens to Mami I'm going to rage.

I'm sorry. I have to.

giphy.gif

I was thinking giant bow but that's funny too

Madoka-2

hahahahahaha

zulux21

Granted I didn't watch much of it and it has been a few years, but you're making it sound much more light hearted than I remember it being.

hmmmm?
The only things I said is that nana would be a decent show to watch and it has good music, at no point did I mention how light hearted it was o_O

their last line was
I guess Im a sucker with char development shows...
not list off light hearted shows so I am not sure where in the world you got that from.

Anyways, while nana can be light hearted when things are going well overall it is not a light hearted show, heck there is a better than average chance that at points you will want to cry watching it. But that is because they develop the characters well and get you to care about them, so when the sad moments come they can really land and make you feel it. As for not watching much of it... the first 4-5 eps of nana really aren't all that good/anything special, after those though I really enjoyed the ride to the finish (despite all the darn recap episodes ><)

If you want a more light hearted show go watch skip beat, nodame or lovely complex (all of which have drama moments but are overall full of more comedy then drama)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom