• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRancor

How the hell is SAO on there and not Fate/Zero?
Get in the #sakuga channel on irc.rizon.net and ask! You'll probably find that most people there have a low opinion of Fate/Zero's animation.
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/437761243425013760
Took some digging but this was the reasoning for it.

You don't need good choreography to have good animation though.
Yeah, I don't think it's required to have mind blowing storyboards or whatever to be able to convey good movement.

I can see why they might think that. For one, all the digital effects at work can take away from the 2D animation. But looking at that list I'm not quite sure what criteria they use. What I've watched of The Idolm@ster was hardly top tier stuff.
I don't think having digital effects (as much as it was used) somehow invalidates the 2D animation that is still present.

Not seen Wolfs Rain. Or heard of it really.
Great work by Keiko Nobumoto and Bones.

Tomino's been talking some game about G-Reco being a huge break from Gundam standard, and I would love for him to be right. Off the tail of Build Fighters' success I think that now is the time to take that kind of a risk and see what happens. Now is the time to make something that will be referenced, not something that references.
Save us Tomino.

CorvoSol

You are directing this towards someone who abandoned a watchbet.

Excuse me, I thought it was a watch bet, not a watch-sell-your-fucking-soul-to-the-devil.

Because if it was a former, the answer, quite simply, is that the bet was lost. Not abandoned, lost. You don't abandon a bet, you lose a bet. And the bet was lost.

If a watchbet is a binding contract then quit fucking calling it a bet. I don't remember agreeing to sell my soul to hours of being cajoled into listening to how great the veritable shitheap that is Clannad is in exchange for someone's petty decision to pick at a show he hadn't been watching until after I spat lava all over Clannad.

So don't fucking come to me with this "Oh you abandoned it Corvo." Pshycho hadn't even been watching G when I dropped Ass story, and that he picked it up again after I had ended it in no way reflects upon an agreement I had terminated.

I refuse to be called faithless for dropping that dreck when nobody had been watching the show I'd proposed.

Branduil

Clannad 15

i6qiYJnksCST8.jpg

While that's true, it's also pretty ironic.

Well, on the one hand we're back to the drama club storyline, which is pretty boring and was especially contrived in how they attempted to create drama this time around.

On the other hand, the Sunohara portions of this episode were actually good, both with him developing some actual characteristics beyond idiot comic relief and the pranks Tomoya played on him.

cajunator

Banned
On the tearjerkers front, someone brought Saikano up to me and its warning label. Just how bad is it? Surely this is on the animegaf list.

Saikano is ridiculously depressing.
it might be too much for some really.
i marathoned it once when I was feeling particularly happy and it brought me right down.
DO NOT MARATHON IT.
That said, its really weird but its decent. Dont ever look for explanations about the war, but the OVA does give some insight into that side of it from Chise's point of view.

wonzo

Banned
Yami Shibai S2 8-9

yamishibais29.jpg

reminder to never eat weird purple looking food called "ominie-san" if i ever end up in rural japan

e:
Ai-Mai-Mi - Mousou Catastrophie 08

aimaimis28.jpg

hardcore

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
No, I need a change of flavor, I need to fill some holes in the old viewing library, I think I need to watch Revolutionary Girl Utena at last.

phaze

After Clannad and Anohana, what are the other big tearjerker animes (lets leave out the other key based anime)?

They're not slice of life/romantic comedy/whatever the hell clannad is but Gunbuster made me tear up and Diebuster did me in like no anime before.

Glad you liked it. Well, at the point someone can "like" Texhnolyze lol :p

On the hard to like note. This chart is hilarious:

No, I need a change of flavor, I need to fill some holes in the old viewing library, I think I need to watch Revolutionary Girl Utena at last.

Shigurui would be a great change of flavour !

cajunator

Banned
The show only gets better from there.

Strike Witches - 3

So apparently the Neuroi things are occupying Europe.

...Okay? That kind of strikes to me as odd, seeing as we've only seen these things as emotionless black and red flying drones. How do these things occupy a continent? Do they possess intelligence? Are there smaller humanoid-esque units of these things? What or who is leading them?

Oh well, it's only the third episode, so I'm sure answers will come later.

Like I said earlier, the enemies in this show are kind of disappointingly nonthreatening and forgettable. Unfortunate really.

Earth Maiden Arjuna 2

That became an anti-nuclear power PSA rather suddenly.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here; all I know is that dat CG was ugly.

Now this is going to be fun.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Excuse me, I thought it was a watch bet, not a watch-sell-your-fucking-soul-to-the-devil.

Because if it was a former, the answer, quite simply, is that the bet was lost. Not abandoned, lost. You don't abandon a bet, you lose a bet. And the bet was lost.

If a watchbet is a binding contract then quit fucking calling it a bet. I don't remember agreeing to sell my soul to hours of being cajoled into listening to how great the veritable shitheap that is Clannad is in exchange for someone's petty decision to pick at a show he hadn't been watching until after I spat lava all over Clannad.

So don't fucking come to me with this "Oh you abandoned it Corvo." Pshycho hadn't even been watching G when I dropped Ass story, and that he picked it up again after I had ended it in no way reflects upon an agreement I had terminated.

I refuse to be called faithless for dropping that dreck when nobody had been watching the show I'd proposed.

*hugs Corvy-kins
Calmies down Raven ok?

cajunator

Banned
Oh, you know them superweapon girlfriends. When they get used it's happy colorful festival fireworks

She sure as heck caused fireworks...of death.
The great tragedy in that show wasnt just that but also
Shuji watching his friends get killed one by one in horrifically brutal and painful ways

MajinBone Episode 23
BwhhaCkIEAANder.png

Fun pool episode with everyone. Kind of wish the whole episode had involved it but I guess we needed some sort of action with another Nepos.

Luke is obsessed with that clam digging though.

Good-bye, then.

Oh don't worry Corvo. Branduil is more obligated to finish Clannad than you are. Pshyconinja actually finished both shows Branduil asked him to watch. Unlike on your end where he barely made it halfway through G Gundam. You were totally not in the wrong dropping that show.

Like I said earlier, the enemies in this show are kind of disappointingly nonthreatening and forgettable. Unfortunate really.

That's a real darn shame. If the director played his cards right, they could really be interesting villains. It's not like they've been shown as something super silly from a children's show or anything.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, I don't think it's required to have mind blowing storyboards or whatever to be able to convey good movement.

I don't think you need mind blowing storyboards or anything however proper staging is definitely required. A good example would be this where there is good movement but I wouldn't consider it sakuga (or good animation) because there isn't any good staging in the fight. The camera is positioned too close for there to be any impact from the fight and the choreography itself is really atrocious. Then the smoke itself at the end covers the entire fight.

duckroll

Mushishi S2 - Episode 11-12

I've been trying to think of something interesting to say about this since I watched it yesterday. Still can't. It was a pretty decent Mushishi story. Not among the best, not among the worst. It's sort of interesting to get more insight into the world of the mushishi themselves, but other than that it wasn't awfully compelling as a personal tale. It also tries to have some action and drama, which generally doesn't work well on a show like this which is really just about letting the atmosphere of the story take over in a slow relaxed pace. The animation was really good though. Lots of cool mushi scenes.

Articalys

http://www.someanithing.com/2041

New series
Black Butler Book of Circus v1: 7,522 BD+DVD
Bakamatsu Rock v1: 3,868 BD+DVD
Ping Pong: BD-box 2,756, DVD-box 788
Wixoss BD-box v1: 3,169

Ending
Strike the Blood series average 5,831 (8 vols)
Witch Craft Works series average 4,171 (BD-only release, 6 vols)
Log Horizon series average 3,812 (8 vols)
Nagi no Asukara series average 3,717 (9 vols)
Hamatora series average 1,828 (4 vols)
Gundam Build Fighters series average 8,940 (2 BD-boxes + 9 DVD singles)

More updates for ongoing shows at the link as usual
Also from now on Oricon will give a guaranteed top 20 animation sales list on Tuesdays

disclaimer: not all shows have their success solely decided by disc sales, though it certainly helps in most cases.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
http://www.someanithing.com/2041

New series
Black Butler Book of Circus v1: 7,522 BD+DVD
Bakamatsu Rock v1: 1,283 DVD, BD under cutoff
Ping Pong: BD-box 2,756, DVD-box 788
Wixoss BD-box v1: 3,169

Ending
Strike the Blood series average 5,831 (8 vols)
Witch Craft Works series average 4,171 (BD-only, 6 vols)
Log Horizon series average 3,812 (8 vols)
Nagi no Asukara series average 3,717 (9 vols)
Hamatora series average 1,867 (4 vols)
Gundam Build Fighters series average 8,940 (2 BD-boxes + 9 DVD singles)

More updates for ongoing shows at the link as usual
Also from now on Oricon will give a guaranteed top 20 animation sales list on Tuesdays

A GAF OT Title: Ping Pong? More like Ping Bomb. Madp's favourite anime is going to outsell it!

Gurren Lagann 19

Rossiu continues to be an asshole. Should've left that guy with his village. I feel like there are some Chekovs guns with him though, like the gunmen head in his village, as well as the holy book.

I must say though, the overall plot of this reminds me a LOT of the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Great books by the way.

SAO 05

It's turned into a murder mystery story.

And Asuna, which now is back, and Kirito has to work together to solve it. Killing people in their sleep seems like an asshole thing to do. Especially since they die in real-life and stuff :p

A GAF OT Title: Ping Pong? More like Ping Bomb. Madp's favourite anime is going to outsell it!

Anime sales experts say it's not a bomb:
Adding to this, the committee was Fuji, Aniplex, Kyoraku, and Dentsu, so Fuji had the highest amount of investment, so ratings/ad rates were the primary funding source. It was a nice amount of yen added (60,640,800円 going to Sony through Aniplex (55% of MSRP of these sale estimates)), but not the primary source.

In short:
disclaimer: not all shows have their success solely decided by disc sales, though it certainly helps in most cases.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anime sales experts say it's not a bomb:
"Solid for what it is" feels like goalpost moving to me though.
Adding to this, the committee was Fuji, Aniplex, Kyoraku, and Dentsu, so Fuji had the highest amount of investment, so ratings/ad rates were the primary funding source. It was a nice amount of yen added (60,640,800円 going to Sony through Aniplex (55% of MSRP of these sale estimates)), but not the primary source.

In short:
Oh, I understand that Fuji actually makes money from their block unlike a lot of other late night anime. But if we live in a world where people have convinced themselves that the only way to sell an anime is to charge up the ass for it and sell it to three thousand people? Maybe it's time to rethink the business model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom