• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

finished Utena finally. an ending like that didn't even cross my mind as a possibility even though thinking back on the show it was preparing you for that.

i could probably write a long list of moments that made me lose my shit but the 2 that really stick out are (ep 22/23)
just all the fuckery that closes out the Black Rose Saga
and (ep 38 or 39)
Anthy stabbing Utena in the back

guess i have to watch the movie soon to get the real ending?

oh and Absolute Destiny Apocalypse still hasn't gotten old yet. i was hoping there'd be a 4th version for the final arc but i think there were only 3.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
finished Utena finally. an ending like that didn't even cross my mind as a possibility even though thinking back on the show it was preparing you for that.

guess i have to watch the movie soon to get the real ending?

Movie is more of a standalone work than a sequel. Same themes, same characters, different set up and conclusion.

oHR4LBo.gif

Is this something I should watch? And if yes then for pleasure or research?

DominoKid

i do have one question and i may have missed this during the show

late show spoilers
Was it ever explained why Touga & Saionji aligned with Akio in the frst place, and why they still worked with him even after they decided to help Utena (in their own manipulative ways)?

Branduil

I am the best studio.

image.php

Considering how much the industry relies on freelancing, I can't say there really is a best studio, at least not since Madhouse had its creative exodus. KyoAni and ufotable have the best work practices, but the former has been stuck with shitty material ever since Hyouka ended and the latter is certainly stuck with a shitty VN adaptation, so I can't in good conscience call them "best".

There are studios capable of greatness, but more often than not some combination of bad writing, tepid direction, and/or poor production schedule will result in a forgettable work that will soon fade from memory. Even the top tier studious require a fortuitous confluence of events to produce a masterpiece, so I find it better to just appreciate those wherever they are rather than hype up a studio which can never consistently up to those unfair expectations.

Mature

Stardust Crusaders has had a pretty good production, but I'd like to see a longer track record of quality before declaring a studio the best around.
I said them in jest, but there's certainly something to be said about the way they've handled what they've done. "Consistent" I guess is what I'd call them. Really hoping they nail the latter half of Stardust Crusaders and seal the deal with JoJo.

zulux21

You know I always thought that Toei was the worst anime studio, but after the Tokyo Ghoul adaption. Yeah Studio Pierrot has gone down as the worst more so compared to Toei. Like how the hell do you adapt about 80 chapters into 12 episode. I mean they screwed up many other series like Naruto, Bleach, Beezlebub, Baby Steps, Tokyo Ghoul, and etc. Toei got nothing on that.

aside from garbage animation from time to time baby steps seems fine to me... granted I didn't read the manga to it yet, but it doesn't seem slow, and if it is being rushed not much of importance is being missed lol.

Looks like Magic Kaito 1412 will debut October 4th and have 24 episodes.
Here's the YTV description:

Sounds like it will be pretty similar to the TV specials— at least in the beginning. Nice to see that it's 24 eps though. Do it justice, A1!

it was expected at least the basics would be the same, I mean those are the basics from conan as well... the real question is will this series suddenly be about the search for a
magic jewel with real magic existing in the world :p

Best studio is the one that give Yoshihiko Umakoshi first full-pledged directorial job.

Anime pls ;______;
Seeing as how he has only directed one episode of a show in his entire career (going off ANN) I don't think he is all that interested in directing. (Assuming he has the ability to do so.)

Cwarrior

Best studio is the one that give Yoshihiko Umakoshi first full-pledged directorial job.

Anime pls ;______;

I don't think Yoshihiko Umakoshi has shown any interest in directing, his been an animator since dbz not sure why he would decide to become a director now.

That would be like a long time dragon ball z character designer & animation director Tadayoshi Yamamuro steping up to direct the next dragon ball z movie ....oh wait that's actually happening

There are studios capable of greatness, but more often than not some combination of bad writing, tepid direction, and/or poor production schedule will result in a forgettable work that will soon fade from memory. Even the top tier studious require a fortuitous confluence of events to produce a masterpiece, so I find it better to just appreciate those wherever they are rather than hype up a studio which can never consistently up to those unfair expectations.

I agree that the individual works should be praised, as well as the people who made those works. The work of any individual studio will tend to very a lot - even Madhouse in its glory days put out a lot of real clunkers. I mean, let's just look at the 10 studios who made what I consider to be the best TV shows of 2013 and 2014 so far:

Xebec
P.A. Works
ZEXCS
Tatsunoko
Studio DEEN
Actas
A-1 Pictures
AIC
Wit Studio
BONES

Anyone considering the overall output of these studios over the past 3 years or so would find mostly major clunkers, yet they all managed to put out very high-quality products when the right people and circumstances came together. Judging by individual people makes far more sense than judging by studios.

CorvoSol

G Gundam - 32

Awwwwww crap.

So now Wong's in possession of the Devil Gundam. Or at least its remains anyway. Which makes me wonder, what happened to the Kyouji on the Devil Gundam? I'm not convinced that he's dead. He also can't be the same Kyouji that Schwarz is can he? That's not possible. Then there's Master Asia. I'm pretty convinced now that there's only one of them, seeing as all of this was probably his plan.

But what's this talk about the old Shuffle Alliance guys staying in the shadows, keeping order? Those four lights can't possibly be them can they? I mean, they're dead. And even if they were still alive what reason would they have for attacking Domon? Unless the DG cells somehow made their way into space wherever they came from.

Mysteries being piled atop more mysteries here.

The second half of your queries isn't really a spoiler, but just in case:
The Shuffle Alliance is an organization which has maintained a sense of fairness or justice throughout human history in warfare. Like they've been refereeing war forever. The Four Lights who attacked Domon are not the old Shuffle Alliance.

Syrinx

Working!! 5-6

Takanashi's family is pretty entertaining. Says a lot about everyone else that he's probably the most normal person at both work and home, aside from his younger sister I guess. Probably why getting used to the motley crew at work hasn't been an issue for him; it's nothing worse than what he deals with at home.

rrvv

Moaradin

Tokyo Ghoul 11

I haven't read the manga, but i can tell how rushed this is. So many new characters are introduced with hardly any setup. Could barely keep track of anything that happened in that episode.

zulux21

so I am looking into the new shows from next season and I watch the trailer for Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis and it doesn't look terrible, I then see it's based off a card game. My question is has there even been an anime adaption based off a card game (or something similar which for me would be basically any video game adaption to anime that wasn't based off an RPG such as persona or valkyria ect) that was decent let alone good (that aren't just filled with cute girls like love live)?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
so I am looking into the new shows from next season and I watch the trailer for Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis and it doesn't look terrible, I then see it's based off a card game. My question is has there even been an anime adaption based off a card game (or something similar which for me would be basically any video game adaption to anime that wasn't based off an RPG such as persona or valkyria ect) that was decent let alone good (that aren't just filled with cute girls like love live)?

Not exactly card game, but on top of my head.
Digimon based on virtual pet game
Professor Layton and the eternal diva

duckroll

Being based on a card game doesn't really mean anything if the show isn't really about the "card game" so much as taking the lore or characters from the cards to build a story around it. In the case of Bahamut it looks like they're going with a straight fantasy route. Another example of a card game which got an interesting adaptation is Sengoku Collection. The card game had no story or anything at all, just sengoku era generals and characters all gender swapped into animu girls. For the anime they actually turned it into a crazy anthology style episodic show about the characters crossing through time and dimensions into modern Japan and how they integrate. Each episode was another a different character and some were comedy, some were drama, etc. Several episodes used very different art styles too. It wasn't great by any means because a lot of the episodes were dumb, but there were some pretty interesting ones.

dan2026

Madhouse has to be one of the best.
They've adapted about 150 episodes worth of Hunter X Hunter and the quality has remained excellent.

Toei cant even do 5 episodes of Sailor Moon without fucking up.

Madhouse has to be one of the best.
They've adapted about 150 episodes worth of Hunter X Hunter and the quality has remained excellent.

Toei cant even do 5 episodes of Sailor Moon without fucking up.

Hxh is a special case , not only they had the previous anime to use as a template of thing that worked and things that did not . They weren't forced to use fillers to drag-on the story ( like most shonen show use ) since they had so much material to work on from the start.

We'oll never have a situation like this again

dan2026

Hxh is a special case , not only they had the previous anime to use as a template of thing that worked and things that did not . They weren't forced to use fillers to drag-on the story ( like most shonen show use ) since they had so much material to work on from the start.

We'oll never have a situation like this again

All true.

But you can't really fault the quality piece of work they did.

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Story was just bad. Utena tries to stay noble but fails and eventually loses her purity just like everyone else, really odd cuz throughout the show the emphasis is constantly on how she wants to be a prince and how she's different. I found it hard to relate to her. She is just a bad person who shows vehement favouritism towards Himemiya. Like when she chose to defend Himemiya despite Wakaba telling the truth. There's no character development, they all stay flat and two-dimensional. There was only one dynamic character and it was Nanami. I enjoyed her episodes even if they were humorous fillers. Her relationship with her brother was one I would've liked to see more and it was annoying they cut her off right after the big plot twist (that really wasn't).

Animation and art were poor, looks like all of the budget went into backgrounds to further its stupid symbolism.

Speaking of the stupid symbolism. What does it mean to bring revolution to the world and how is it achieved by acquiring the Rose Bride? Why is the Rose Bride doing what she's doing? Cracking the shell of the world? What purpose did the incest theme serve?

Story progression is awful, told in a terrible methodical way. Cast is introduced, something happens>fight each of the cast every episode until end of the arc>new arc same procedure. Same lines uttered, same fighting animations, dealing the same finishing moves. Recycled footage and plot each arc. Over and over again.

Did no one get bored to death with how to show kept repeating itself? wow

4/10 stay away from this garbage

sonicmj1

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Story was just bad. Utena tries to stay noble but fails and eventually loses her purity just like everyone else, really odd cuz throughout the show the emphasis is constantly on how she wants to be a prince and how she's different. I found it hard to relate to her. She is just a bad person who shows vehement favouritism towards Himemiya. Like when she chose to defend Himemiya despite Wakaba telling the truth. There's no character development, they all stay flat and two-dimensional. There was only one dynamic character and it was Nanami. I enjoyed her episodes even if they were humorous fillers. Her relationship with her brother was one I would've liked to see more and it was annoying they cut her off right after the big plot twist (that really wasn't).

Animation and art were poor, looks like all of the budget went into backgrounds to further its stupid symbolism.

Speaking of the stupid symbolism. What does it mean to bring revolution to the world and how is it achieved by acquiring the Rose Bride? Why is the Rose Bride doing what she's doing? Cracking the shell of the world? What purpose did the incest theme serve?

Story progression is awful, told in a terrible methodical way. Cast is introduced, something happens>fight each of the cast every episode until end of the arc>new arc same procedure. Same lines uttered, same fighting animations, dealing the same finishing moves. Recycled footage and plot each arc. Over and over again.

Look, you have to at least try to pay attention.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to go over it with you.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Revolutionary Girl Utena

this is what happens when the average level of discourse in this thread is about shit like school days

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, Revolutionary Girl Utena is not a title you can just power through and rely on surface watching. I recoomend doing some research because points were missed.

Dynedom

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Castle.gif

edit: I guess I shouldn't be throwing stones as I haven't even put up my impressions yet but just...no.

Utena wasn't really hard to understand, it's not a psychological 2deep4u anime (which generally suck like The Tatami Galaxy), it's more a hodgepodge of bullshit symbolism, the show is bad because it repeatedly recycles its contents.

Level E 2-4
Pretty fun show. The way they subvert the serious situation into a complete joke. Also making interesting aliens although all humanoid

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul 11
I'm surprised at the negative reception of this one. I thought it was easily the best episode of the show along with the 8th. After 50 minutes of buildup and setup, we finally get to the culmination point and it's a great one. Good animation and terrific use of OST. Even the humor bits worked this time. Suzuya and his mannerism just crack me up. I would have liked a bit more time spend with Kaneki and a more graphic depiction of his ordeal but oh well. Another caveat was the resolution to Mado's fight. After all that flashback buildup it felt lackluster and was marred by another censorship intrusion.

With how Touka's brother talked about the absence of Yamori, I imagine (speculation)
he and Kaneki are not in that building and maybe not even in the 11th Ward. (I think it was said Jason comes from 13th.) They also made it seem as if Anteiku's manager was the one eyed ghoul. Aogiri's tree leader would have needed to switch masks and coats.

sonicmj1

Utena wasn't really hard to understand, it's not a psychological 2deep4u anime (which generally suck like The Tatami Galaxy), it's more a hodgepodge of bullshit symbolism, the show is bad because it repeatedly recycles its contents.

You said you don't know what it means to "revolutionize the world", the thing that every character in the show wants to do.

It's okay to admit that you missed something.

You said you don't know what it means to "revolutionize the world", the thing that every character in the show wants to do.

It's okay to admit that you missed something.

Someone wants to prove miracles doesn't exist=revolutionize the world? Was that it? Why are some school's students dueling over it?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

I would say you had a terrible time understanding Utena and its symbolism means more then you think it does.
For example the world revolution is far more subtle then what was being let on, the revolution was having Anthy finally break the cruel cycle of self-loathing, manipulation and abuse heaped on Akio and leave him to his childish purgatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom