• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kokoro Connect Episode 13

I forgot that there were four episodes left. I guess I'll watch them tomorrow.

Anyways things are settled between Nagase and her Mom, which was a misunderstanding. And seeing her friends interact and help her was nice. The drama in the series really did help develop the characters and it was nice seeing that.

And about Nagase I wonder why
she felt confused on whether or not she had feelings for Taichi.

Kokoro Connect Episode 13

I forgot that there were four episodes left. I guess I'll watch them tomorrow.

Anyways things are settled between Nagase and her Mom, which was a misunderstanding. And seeing her friends interact and help her was nice. The drama in the series really did help develop the characters and it was nice seeing that.

And about Nagase I wonder why
she felt confused on whether or not she had feelings for Taichi.

Heh, yeh... that was something I was rather confused about as well. I'm really curious what you're going to think about the OVAs, so far your opinion seems to match mine pretty closely.

I'll link my impressions of the OVAs again once you're done.

I remember finding Level-E to be pretty funny! An enjoyable little series. At that price I might end up picking it up.

Okami-san was okay. It had its moments. Satomi Arai as the narrator was the best part, really.

Vic did -not- seem like a proper fit for the prince whatsoever.

Level E is great, but I think you are asking here specifically for the dub's quality? No idea.

Thanks. Took a look at the first episode of Level E on Hulu. Still not too sure about it despite having Vic being cast as a main role.

Pretty sure I will be getting Okami-san soon, whenever my next Right Stuf orders happens that is. I like the voice casts for both the English and Japanese dubs, but going to have to watch the Japanese dub first solely because Satomi Arai.

Theonik has come back from his self-imposed banishment, where he trained among the wild creatures of the jungle, became one of them. Learned from them. And now the fruits of his training will pay off as he shows us his new self control on the lewdness inside him.

Go_Ly_Dow

Garzey's Wing (dub)

ihoT8tE.gif

What the hell did I just watch. Seriously. I have no words but here's some anyway.

Nothing is explained. Our hero in this story is a high school student named Chris. Chris gets sucked into some ancient world by a angelic duck or some shit where Aura Battler Dunbine is set via some earthen bells and somehow gets a holy power called Garzey's Wing. He doesn't get sucked all the way for some reason, as his body remains on Earth. I guess. They never really tell you. Garzey's Wing is important(?), as it apparently is helping the people somehow, yet it doesn't really do anything besides let you fly really badly and move kind of fast. They also need to find some stupid ass tree, also for reasons unknown.
Everyone seems to be completely cool when Earth Chris tells people the "Other Chris" is sapping all his energy. No one questions this. But the biggest question of all is WHY THE HELL DOES IT MATTER IF IT'S A LEAP YEAR
I don't know why I am trying to piece this shitshow of a story together, because you cannot. I seriously doubt they even read the script for this thing, because it's so incoherent a first grader would be able to point out the plot holes and inconsistencies.

There's nothing to say about the characters. Nobody has any logic to their actions because it's never explained what anyone is doing ever

This dub so hilariously bad. Every single line is delivered so horribly that it loops around to being enjoyable. Hearing these voice actors try their hardest to say "Yamato-takeru-nomikoto" is amazing.
The flying cloak guys voice alone almost killed me from laughing.

One thing you can say is it is easy to tell this is Tomino.
Great names like Odajyu Gabu, Fungun, Zaginis Zoa Zaguzo, Towazzan, Eufurio, Undo N'gua, and Domon? Why would they sully the name of Domon like this.
There's also such amazing terms like Gabujuju, Dragorol, the Barju Tree, and Ishubura.
I know what none of these mean.

I think I need to lie down for a while.

yes!

YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!1

"OH LOOK IT'S GARZEYS WING!"

"WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSS OF MY HEEAAAAAAAARTTTTTTT!"

the most stunning moment in japanese animation history

Theonik has come back from his self-imposed banishment, where he trained among the wild creatures of the jungle, became one of them. Learned from them. And now the fruits of his training will pay off as he shows us his new self control on the lewdness inside him.

Almost like Kenichi or Matsushida the Fifth from Angel Beats. :3

Heh, yeh... that was something I was rather confused about as well. I'm really curious what you're going to think about the OVAs, so far your opinion seems to match mine pretty closely.

I'll link my impressions of the OVAs again once you're done.

Who do you think is the best girl in the series? Just curious. For me it's
Inaban.

And about the OVAs I might either watch them tomorrow or watch them when I buy the BD. So I'll check your OVAs impression when I'm done.

Not quite. SatoJun was involved in both shows but he didn't direct that many episodes in Doremi and since the second season his actual involvement is toned down further. What should be noted though is that his influence is present in the show regardless and on people he worked on, which is an interesting topic on its own. (Ah the good old days of 7th vs Hito Doremi shit-flinging)
He directed more episodes of Ojamajo Doremi than Princess Tutu.

cajunator

Banned
Weeeeeee

Now it just needs to be absolute that it's the uncensored version!

Though I don't really have any doubts.

Im sure it is but even if it isnt it wasnt THAT censored IMO.

Hi.

55k for that number of episodes isn't bad. It's cheaper than most of the Gundam remaster sets in fact.

And yet, it still is made better with Russian tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSzsvk4pdfo

squeeeee youre back! *glomps

This is...impressive

Link Man

Banned

If he has any self-control, it will be due to the fact that he's using Twitter as an outlet for all his lewd behavior.

It's the best anime comedy of the last 5 years. Maybe Nozakikun will dethrone it this year.

Did you know the author is Togashi, from Hunter x Hunter?

And Yu Yu Hakusho? Didn't realize Level E's original manga was from the 90s.

I might try to watch more of the series on Hulu, but I personally don't feel committed to watching further. My main reason to watch a series is the voice cast, English or Japanese. Maybe I would just prefer the Japanese voice cast if I rewatch episode one subbed.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Legend of Korra Season 3, Episode 9

So we begin the online era of the Legend of Korra, which is such an ignominious fate for the season that has been rehabilitating this series and this episode continues the trend. We finally get the much needed backstory on Team Zaheer and I am not going to lie, it continues the trend of disappointing Korra villain back-stories. Really, the whole thing can be summed up by the fact that he is
basically Vandal Savage from Young Justice, seeking to exterminate the old orders so that humanity may reach new potentials. Also, really felt the dark hand of retcon with the whole Red Lotus and Unalaq connections. Also, still not sure why the need Korra since showing her a new path really isn't an option, plus she is already doing fine as an agent of chaos as it is. At any rate it is nice that Mako for the first time this season actually justifies his existence by bringing his police skills to to tail the traitor. Also, it is indeed about time that the Earth Queen subplot get back into focus and it looks like Korra is ready for a trip to Arkham Asylum. Still, I think I can already guess the end result here and that Hell is coming to Ba Sing Sae.

Mars of Destruction

BniCGhr.gif

Ok. Now I am really at a loss for words. This was like Muv-luv, without the well endowed women in bodysuits and the BETA and the robots.
I have never seen Muv-luv but I know these things.

From what I understand, there are some things called Ancients that came from some Mars rocks and they are killing people for reasons. The main character can use some super suit or something to fight them because his dad is Gendo Ikari. A big one shows up and chokeholds four different hair colors of girls for quite the long time before dying and telling the main character that the Martians are the real Earthlings, then it ends.

What a thrilling narrative. This could learn a thing or two from Garzey's Wing.

Theonik

He directed more episodes of Ojamajo Doremi than Princess Tutu.
I meant, he didn't direct enough episodes in Doremi to be able to entirely attribute the similarity on the director, and you certainly wouldn't say he directed Doremi. The link is there though. Doremi's expressiveness could probably be attributed to both Satojun's and Umakoshi's style in this case I think.

If he has any self-control, it will be due to the fact that he's using Twitter as an outlet for all his lewd behavior.
My lack of 'self-control' is greatly exaggerated. Also I've been using twitter for such things since forever.

cajunator

Banned
Mars of Destruction

BniCGhr.gif

Ok. Now I am really at a loss for words. This was like Muv-luv, without the well endowed women in bodysuits and the BETA and the robots.
I have never seen Muv-luv but I know these things.

From what I understand, there are some things called Ancients that came from some Mars rocks and they are killing people for reasons. The main character can use some super suit or something to fight them because his dad is Gendo Ikari. A big one shows up and chokeholds four different hair colors of girls for quite the long time before dying and telling the main character that the Martians are the real Earthlings, then it ends.

What a thrilling narrative. This could learn a thing or two from Garzey's Wing.

What impresses me the most is that this was made in the first place. Someone had to conceptualize and give the go ahead to produce this.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's the best anime comedy of the last 5 years. Maybe Nozakikun will dethrone it this year.

Did you know the author is Togashi, from Hunter x Hunter?

It is going to be really hard to pick the best comedy of this season, but right now I am leaning towards Space Dandy.

Narag

Narag have you seen this Mazinger Z vertical shooter from 1994?

I just relate everything to Robot Girls Z since I haven't seen any of the shows. The mid-boss in the first level is then more "that's the robot representing the girl in the black leotard and vest. The other one is the girl with the cute snake hand sock puppet things she uses to talk with.",haha.

The boss of the second level is a robot disguised as a flying statue of liberty,haha. Does that happen in the show or is it just something they put into the game for some reason?
Man, that looks fun. Too bad I'm terrible at these sort of games, forever relegated to scrub tier in wonzo's eyes. No idea about the Statue of LIberty thing in the tv show (only Corvo knows for sure) but I sure hope it does pop up.
I know it's going to be quite the shock, but I'm actually going to talk about Doremi!

I see my work is done here.

(Ah the good old days of 7th vs Hito Doremi shit-flinging)
Let us not forget how Hosoda was the grounding influence on Ikuhara in Utena.

Everyone uses twitter for lewd purposes.

Invaders 4
An okay beach episode with the fanservice parts going seemingly fast. The ghost hunters are bringing some conflict to this normally cliched episode. Also I have to wonder about Yurika, if she really doesn't like cosplay.

I wish I was a fly on the wall when some of these projects get greenlighted.

Well, jgminto said in the last thread that it was only a pilot for a show, so it didn't exactly get greenlighted? Guess they put it on a disc and sold it to recoup the $100 or whatever they used to make it :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Thanos is in Fate/Stay in the Kitchen.

Digimon Adventure coming back basically makes me feel like a 12 year old kid again. After all this time, my childhood is coming back. Anime is officially saved.

(And I'll maintain that Digimon Adventure is an iconic classic that everyone should watch (in the original language, of course))

Jex

I really need a supercut of people adjusting their glasses in Log Horizon. It'd be about 30 minutes long.

Quasar

What are everyone's opinion on Level E (for Vic Mignogna's English dub performance) and Okami-san (for Satomi Arai as the Japanese dub narrator)? As FUNimation quietly lowered the SRP for these titles, I want to get these sets before the probable DVD-only S.A.V.E. editions come out.

I love Satomi Arai as narrator in Okami san. Probably still my favourite narrator job in anime. Not that I've heard a lot of narrators. The show is enjoyable enough. Not something I'd need to own...but then with streaming access to shows few shows are worth owning. And that goes double when it comes to SD sets.

Wait, you're spoiler tagging that?

Sounds silly, but I didn't want to spoil that the episode
was really pure comic relief in the end, as for a good part of it played seriously with the drama and tension of being roasted to death and having to search the Stand user before dying, and in the end it was a super weak enemy with a super silly cheap trick. I liked the change of tone.

I mean, I think the episode is just ok on my book, so I didn't want to mess up with the only thing that makes it reach that 'high' level!

Who do you think is the best girl in the series? Just curious. For me it's
Inaban.

Well, not gonna say how it's affected after episode 13, but up to that point:

Yeah slight edge Inaban. However Iori really isn't far behind. Yui is likable too but doesn't get a lot of spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom