• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accel World wouldn't apply considering the main character is literally drawn as a pig and is constantly bullied leading to self confidence issues.

And then becomes a virtual superhero with an amazing unique power that everyone gushes over and attracts a harem of girls.

But really, most anime could be called escapist wish fulfillment, it's just a matter of degrees here.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So what would count as an enjoyable wish fulfillment anime? I mean, you can't really sell them as shows on tier with stuff like Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop, but which ones make you say: "Hey, this isn't all that bad! This is actually pretty fun!"

For me I'd say Accel World would qualify as one. Thanks to its game world actually being interesting and it having some well-animated fight scenes, the show itself actually comes off as watchable and fun. This is despite the fact that the premise is literally: "the popular girl in school confesses her love to a short fat loser because he's good at virtual video games and wants him to join her in a bigger virtual video game."

It was also written by Reki Kawahara, A.K.A the writer of SAO. Now I know that sounds like an instant turn-off, but Accel World shows that people who wrote stuff like SAO can very much improve.

The more I talk about this the more I want a S2 of Accel World. :(
Nothing beats Persona 4 the animation.

But you also need to play the game...

In fact the show does go out of way at times to shit on him like when that female in his squad complained that he didn't 'look' like a Ranger or how he got the shit beat out of him recently.

Isn't that the point of wish fulfillment though? The "he seems like an average otaku but is secretly a badass ranger".

Squalor

Any harem-style anime is a brand of wish-fulfillment anime.

And I'll avoid them like the plague.

Of recent memory, Aldnoah.Zero was definitely a kind of wish-fulfillment anime.

The protagonist was a living, breathing deus ex machina.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I personally view wish fullfiment works as shows where characters or villains exist purely as puppets for the main character to knock down as a way of adding to the main character's accomplishments. Mahouka and Overlord spring to mind immediately. There's also the sexual element in particular shows where girls will get immediately wet when they hear the lead's name whispered.
When I talk about Gate being wish fulfillment it extends beyond the personal level. A portal literally opens up in Japan that presents an opportunity for militarist and expansionist ideals to exploit. The people there are nearly incapable of fighting back, and dislike their cruel leaders. Follow the adventures of one humble Ranger otaku who works his way up through the ranks with his daring feats, cool head, and leadership skills. Enjoy the exotic range of strange women who come to surround him and look to him for protection and integration with superior Nippon society.

UBDBMml.jpg
just another day on the front lines :^)

sonicmj1

Space Dandy's first 3 episodes are pretty bad in terms of an introduction to the show. If i wasn't so optimistic about the anthology format of the series I would probably have dropped it after the third episode. There isn't really much to defend on the misogyny front because the show definitely takes cues from dated throwbacks of retro-scifi where women are seen as objects or companions for the bold male hunters or whatever, but I would say most of the stories in the series doesn't really play this up, and sometimes the tables are turned on the heroes to show how stupid they really are as stereotypes.

What's great about Space Dandy as a series is that there's a wealth of creativity and variety throughout the series, and while there are clear stinkers, there's a pretty good standard of quality in the storytelling from most of the contributors. It's too bad that it started off with a really stupid episode, and then barely two weeks after that had to do an even dumber boob monster thing. It definitely turned a lot of people off and I don't blame them.

This is exactly how I felt about the first three episodes. Only Watanabe faith kept me going, and I'm glad that faith was ultimately rewarded. It took time to turn things around.

duckroll

Wish fulfillment is one of the most boring types of entertainment there is. Completely juvenile and soulless. It's unfortunately also something which is an easy sell, so there's a ton of it in any medium. Zzzzzzzz.

Defuser

So what would count as an enjoyable wish fulfillment anime? I mean, you can't really sell them as shows on tier with stuff like Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop, but which ones make you say: "Hey, this isn't all that bad! This is actually pretty fun!"
If it ever gets adapted into a anime..Sakamoto Desu ga? aka Swagamoto.

Wish fulfillment is one of the most boring types of entertainment there is. Completely juvenile and soulless. It's unfortunately also something which is an easy sell, so there's a ton of it in any medium. Zzzzzzzz.
You need to read Sakamoto desu ga?

Jarmel

Banned

Don't you like the Transformer movies?

phaze

Eccentric Family 10-13 END
Well that's a wrap for seemingly the last, more noteworthy show of 2013 that I've have had left to watch. In retrospect, what a good year that was. Yozakura, Battle Tendency, Love Lab, Kyousougiga, Aku no Hana and plenty of others.

Given the generally mellow and relaxed pace of this show so far I didn't really expect the climax of events to begin already at episode 10 but it raised the stakes early and allowed the events to play out very naturally and at just the right pace. I guess the twist with
the uncle
being the bad guy was easy to foresee but given the
goofy nature of the earlier rivalry between the two families
it still managed to take me by surprise. The ending in general was well done. Shout outs in particular to the previously mentioned amazing train sequence that with its delicious night time visuals, animated backgrounds - both hand drawn and CG and a touching story flashback, instantly became one of my favourite moments in the show.

Now, on to my regularly scheduled list of plot related gripes.
One of them is the character of Benten who remained enigma till the very end. I still don't know what was up with her entire relationship with Master Akadama, what was up with his accident or why is she, a human, able to freely fly. I still don't know why was joining Friday Fellows so important to her she would, I can't call it any other way, murder father of her acquaintance. FF's bashes don't seem like particularly "fun" events and that seemed to her main goal during the duration of the show. The state of knowledge of Friday Fellows remains confusing too. They knew about Yasaburou and his shifting abilities yet seemed shocked by the scores of Tanuki appearing before their eyes in the last episode. All in all, after how masterfully Tatami Galaxy resolved all of its plot threads, I can't help but be little disappointed with how those things were left unresolved/vague. Finally, I find Yasaburou's (and his family's too I guess) lack of resentment against people who killed their father or planned to kill them puzzling if not downright disturbing. Despite many protestations to the contrary, the Tanuki displayed in the show behaved very human like during the progression of the story so I don't think it's too much to ask for some more believable reaction, especially immediately after the perpetrators were revealed. Meanwhile
the uncle seemingly gets away scot free, Yasaborou plays snowball with Kinkaku and Ginkaku, the very people that tried to murder his brother a few days/weeks earlier. I was half expecting Yasaburou to scream "Benten is the coolest gal !" at the end. -_-

Eccentric Family is a show with amazing art direction, filled to the brink with immensely beautiful backgrounds, loads of good animation and a story that does well to balance its comedic tint with the more serious, heartfelt moments. I don't think I like it enough to put it 2nd on the list of shows from 2013 but it's a very fine show nonetheless.

duckroll

Don't you like the Transformer movies?

Sure, I enjoy Michael Bay's technical ability. His characters tend to be pretty bad because he works with really crappy writers these days. It's not like you'll ever see me arguing that the movies aren't made up of boring and soulless stories. :p

I've watched Transformers 2 maybe four times, and every single time I have to struggle to stay awake by the middle. Zzzzzzzzzzz.

Bebop is good, with some very good episodes in there. But the first thing I usually think of it when it's named is: "overrated".
This is because to my surprise once I started browsing the Internet, it seems Bebop is considered by many THE ADULT CLASSIC ANIME, in special by American fans. I think it's related to the launch of Bebop coinciding with some almost-mainstream popularity of anime in the States .

It isn't that good.

Accel World wouldn't apply considering the main character is literally drawn as a pig and is constantly bullied leading to self esteem issues.

And then becomes a virtual superhero with an amazing unique power that everyone gushes over and attracts a harem of girls.

But really, most anime could be called escapist wish fulfillment, it's just a matter of degrees here.

Pretty much this. But one thing I really enjoyed about Accel World is that the MC, while having a "power that nobody else has", he still has to learn to use it effectively. In fact, he even makes a few mistakes as he learns, something you rarely see in your average LN anime.

Even rarer, later on in the show he actually
loses the power that made him special and has to work to get it back
, which really impressed me.

Jarmel

Banned
Sure, I enjoy Michael Bay's technical ability. His characters tend to be pretty bad because he works with really crappy writers these days. It's not like you'll ever see me arguing that the movies aren't made up of boring and soulless stories. :p

I've watched Transformers 2 maybe four times, and every single time I have to struggle to stay awake by the middle. Zzzzzzzzzzz.

Oh my god. I had to suffer that film once. No mas.

JulianImp

Just wondering what people think of last seasons Yamada-kun and the 7 witches.
It adapted over 90 chapters of manga into 12 episodes and I think they did a pretty decent job, surprisingly. Though the sound editor definitely fucked up badly (the music is wayyyy to fucking loud in some scenes)

It was okay, but if I had to voice any complaints, they'd be that the romance felt a bit forced for my taste at times, and that the other witches could've used some more screen time rather than just showing up whenever Yamada had to interact with them and then disappeared off the face of the Earth until the finale.

I know I'm probaby shooting myself in the foot by saying this, but I kind of enjoyed the Grisaia anime for the most part, even though the whole ending part with Thanatos crossed the line into absolutely retarded territory for me.

While the MC sucks due to being a generic Marty Stu, I felt like the assortment of girls that made up the supporting cast actually saved the series from being downright bad. Except for his sister. Screw her
and that ridiculous mechanical arm of hers.

Something weird that happened with the series is that I mistakenly began watching the last season on CR, so I was treated to Yuuji's origin story (and kept thinking that it was some weird kind of in medias res opening) until I realized that everybody knowing each other was a bit too much of a cold open and finally spotted the earlier season on its CR page.

I mean technical ability would also include the ability to properly direct action sequences, right? In the case of Transformers 2 at least I couldn't enjoy the action scenes whatsoever. The lack of clarity when the transformers were going at it was ridiculous. When I can't even make out which piece of metal belongs to which transformer anymore there's nothing to take away from this sort of action. I made it only to the roughly the halfpoint of Transformers 2 where I decided I needn't bore myself any more. If I watch it for the action and that isn't any good either, what's the point.

duckroll

Bebop is good, with some very good episodes in there. But the first thing I usually think of it when it's named is: "overrated".
This is because to my surprise once I started browsing the Internet, it seems Bebop is considered by many THE ADULT CLASSIC ANIME, in special by American fans. I think it's related to the launch of Bebop coinciding with some almost-mainstream popularity of anime in the States .

It isn't that good.

I disagree with the conclusion that "it isn't that good" here. Now, I agree with the overall point that it is a bit boring that Bebop is the go-to series for most people who are somewhat aware of anime as a medium but probably don't consume that much of it declaring that it's -the- classic because it's probably the best anime series they can name. But don't think that discounts the reality that for what it is, Bebop is probably the best anime series in that class.

If you're someone who is really into the "ragtag crew of bounty hunters having space adventures" theme, and you like the Japanese sensibility in design and direction that comes with anime, what better series is there? There isn't one. The production values, direction, overall story arc, characters, action sequences, they're all top class. It is really hard to begrudge people who see it that way for declaring it the "best" because it is.

This is pretty similar to how Firefly is gets mentioned over and over when people talk about space TV shows. It is not the show's fault that it is pretty much the most competent thing that scratches that itch in recent memory. I hate applying the concept of "overrated" to entertainment which excelled at exactly what it set out to do. If it's "not that good" then the question is... what is better? :)

I mean technical ability would also include the ability to properly direct action sequences, right? In the case of Transformers 2 at least I couldn't enjoy the action scenes whatsoever. The lack of clarity when the transformers were going at it was ridiculous. When I can't even make out which piece of metal belongs to which transformer anymore there's nothing to take away from this sort of action. I made it only to the roughly the halfpoint of Transformers 2 where I decided I needn't bore myself any more. If I watch it for the action and that isn't any good either, what's the point.

I was referring to the movie series in general. Transformers 2 is a film which has very little worth defending. It was a cash-in sequel which was made during a writer's strike, and pretty much no one involved probably cared about anything gelling together as long as they had a completed film to shit out to the box office by the date the studio wanted. There are things I can easily talk about in the other films and point out what I enjoyed about them and how certain sequences were executed. TF2 can suck it. Do not mistake me wasting my time watching it multiple times as me condoning the quality of the film!

Crocodile

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with wish fulfillment. "Guy/Gal X is awesome, does awesome things, wins and gets the gold/fame/SO/etc. at the end" isn't an inherently bad premise or narrative structure. I think the issue is that often times the writer(s) find no value in constructing actual interesting narratives or characters and leave everything as bland and a vapid standee.

Like most harems are garbage because the protagonist often has either no redeeming qualities or is being praised for what basically amounts to just living and then a bunch of other people, who often have zero or superficial personalities and no life that doesn't revolve around the MC, fall in love with them for no discernible reason. Actually create a MC that would logically or reasonably engender the favor of a large number of people who are also actually full and interesting people with their own lives and you could have something interesting (may even through in some supernatural elements if you have to spice things up). Then again that basically describes a real person with a highly successful dating life so I guess that's too much to ask for your average writer or teenagers would be turned off by that?

More self awareness would also be appreciated. If the show and everyone in it is also in on the fact that everything is just over the top wish nonsense then I think those types of shows tend to be way more enjoyable than ones that take themselves seriously and/or try to pretend they are anything else but wish nonsense (*cough* SAO *cough*)

Jintor

Do you feel that directorally bebop takes more from the style of direction more familiar to western audiences which is why it's so lauded in the west? I feel like there's a lot of techniques employed you don't often see in most anime - but then, I haven't watched a lot of shows in its genre.

Squalor

What makes Cowboy Bebop better than most anime is the fact that it is a great televisions show, but it's only good as an anime.

Evangelion is the opposite.

Baccano! and Monster blended those aspects better.

ibyea

Banned
Oh my god. I had to suffer that film once. No mas.

I remember while watching Transformers 4:

"Oh so the movie must be almost over right? It was kind of funny but I think I have had enough."

*checks run time*

"THERE IS STILL 50 MINUTES LEFT?!" O_O

By the end I was so mentally exhausted. I don't know how so many things going on be so boring.

Squishy3

My issue with SAO is I massively misinterpreted the relationship between Kirito and his cousin. The first half is whatever, I liked it fine. Villain reveal was stupid though.

But in the second half I assumed she knew that was her cousin in game (HE LOOKS THE EXACT SAME HOW DO YOU NOT NOTICE THAT IT'S HIM) and that she was spending time in the game with him because it was too awkward for her to spend time with him in real life after he got trapped in a MMO for an extended period of time, while the game presents an opportunity to hang out with him without making it awkward because he doesn't know it's her and she can basically pretend to be a different person, but I guess that also would have been halfway decent writing, so.

Cue my disbelief when she realizes that he's Kirito.

GGO is whatever, though.

Squalor

I stopped watching Transformers movies about halfway through the second. I literally just turned it off and never went back.

I watched Cinema Sins's "Everything Wrong with..." for the rest of them.

Way better than watching the movies themselves.

Crocodile

What makes Cowboy Bebop better than most anime is the fact that it is a great televisions show, but it's only good as an anime.

Evangelion is the opposite.

Baccano! and Monster blended those aspects better.

You think EVA would have been better as live action? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Does anyone have news on when Bakemono no Ko, is coming out in the west? I need to see this bad.

Like real bad. Like Michael jackson Bad.

It just looks amazing. I loved The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I introduced several of my female friends to anime through it. Then I watched Summer Wars, and that one completely blew all my shit out of the toilet. And when I saw Wolf Children I was going through a breakup and my ex recommended I saw it because it was really good. And I hurled like crazy.
I love this director. From what I've heard the story is basically Junglebook in modern tokyo. Okay, fair enough,- His others movies had decent stories, but it was the characters and their growth that makes me love his movies.
And also, I just adore the character designs for his films. I've noticed that people who are sometimes annoyed by the "manga style" are more easily able to give Anime a chance through less exaggerated manga styles like this and the ghibli films. the facial features are less crazy, and less grotesque. I feel it helps make some people give it a chance. And thats good!

Squalor

You think EVA would have been better as live action? Or am I misunderstanding you?
I'm not talking about whether something is live action or animated.

Evangelian was a great anime, but thinking about it as a television show (animated or not)—its pace, narration, narrative, the way characters developed—it's just good.

That's the opposite of what I said about Cowboy Bebop, which is a great television show, but by actual anime standards it's just a good anime.

And I was saying Baccano! and Monster blended the aspects of those styles (traditional television show and anime) better than the aforementioned two.

Toxi

Banned
Do you feel that directorally bebop takes more from the style of direction more familiar to western audiences which is why it's so lauded in the west? I feel like there's a lot of techniques employed you don't often see in most anime - but then, I haven't watched a lot of shows in its genre.
I think the reason it's lauded in the west is because it has a fantastic English dub.

Squalor

As a person of high literary stature, I believe I did uncover many flaws from bebop especially in its ending.
You're one of those people who wants tragedy with a happy ending. I believe it was Edith Wharton who said that. It's an awful mentality that has ruined a lot of American media over the centuries. It afflicts other cultures, too, though. For instance, why the hell was Snake alive at the end of Metal Gear Solid 4? Why did fanboys cry bloody murder about the ending of the last Mass Effect? Why did the creators capitulate and change it?

All awful decisions.

That's not how life works. That's not how tragedies work. Thankfully, that's not how Cowboy Bebop worked. Cowboy Bebop was funny, hilarious at times, and it could even be lighthearted and affectionate, but it wasn't a comedy. His death followed everything the show led the audience to believe. His living would have been a pathetic cop-out.

sonicmj1

Evangelian was a great anime, but thinking about it as a television show (animated or not)—its pace, narration, narrative, the way characters developed—it's just good.

That's the opposite of what I said about Cowboy Bebop, which is a great television show, but by actual anime standards it's just a good anime.

And I was saying Baccano! and Monster blended the aspects of those styles (traditional television show and anime) better than the aforementioned two.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think the reason it's lauded in the west is because it has a fantastic English dub.

By that logic Panty & Stocking would be the most popular anime ever.

But yeah, Bepob dub is really solid, I have some problems with it but I have those problems with almost every dub, the best part about Bepob is the smooth style though, even if it's hit or miss most of the time.

kewlmyc

My main issue with Star Driver was that the plot was written in a way that if the MC lost even once, the series would be over. That lead to asspull win after asspull win and knowing that the MC would never lose. Took all tension out of the fights, despite the fights being well animated.

Whatever happened to the movie? Was it just a recap?

Who gives a shit about the plot in Star Driver? The fights are rad as fuck and that's all I need from a show like that.
Those fights were ass because they were nothing but all ass pulls because the way the plot was set up you knew MC couldn't lose a single fight or it would be series over. Yea the fights looked good, but who gives a shit when I know no matter how bad things looked the MC had to win.

How hilarious the same plot limit shit happened to Captain Earth, another BONES show. You knew the outcome of every fight because a single loss equals game over.

Squalor

Who gives a shit about the plot in Star Driver? The fights are rad as fuck and that's all I need from a show like that.
People who want something with substance and character development, you know, the most important aspects of media.

It's fine that it's pretty.

Crocodile

Ok I think your terminology is borked and as such I have even less idea what you're trying to say.These are all fucking TV shows, call them as such. You are going to get different results and shows play by different rules depending on the genre, culture that creates them and the medium (animation vs. live action). As an example, not all shows produced in Japan or the USA have the same pace, narrative structure or character development even if they are in the same genre or even if they are all live action or animated. Using Baccano! seems such a weird example since it has such an unusual narrative structure.

Evangelion would certainly be a whole different show if it was animated or filmed as live action by a Western director with a Western writing team but that seems such a "no shit" statement I'm not sure where you're trying to go with it. Like are you trying to say you think Cowboy Bebop had a lot of Western-style elements to it (be it setting, narrative, etc.)? How does that make it any worse of an anime? How does Evangelion become a poor Western show but a great anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom