• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
All stats apply to Anime-GAF threads that are in OT Community (so the stats may be missing stuff from several years ago where it was not posting in the Community forum):

Anime has the 5th largest community on GAF, with 640,000 posts. It's somewhere around 1% of all GAF posts. Of course this doesn't include Manga-GAF, Toonami-GAF, or communities for shows like K-on (69,000 posts), Love Live (~30,000 posts) or others like Naruto, Kill La Kill, or One Piece.

Top 20 posters of all time:
cajunator (35796) <-- now that's dedication.
Narag (14493)
Jexhius (13345)
firehawk12 (12276)
Branduil (12265)
Dedication Through Light (11551)
wonzo (11102)
KirbYuuYuu (9862)
duckroll (9340)
madp (9266)
R_thanatos (9024)
Theonik (8925)
CorvoSol (8835)
Jarmel (8556)
Regulus Tera (8347)
Admiral Woofington (8214)
Chet Rippo (7651)
kayos90 (7582)
dakkumauji (7504)
Articalys (7292)
Stumpokapow (32)
If anyone feels uncomfortable being on this list, PM me. I'd appreciate if others don't quote the names of anyone who hasn't registered being OK. This is kind of an experiment and depending on how useful you guys find it I might consider posting similar stats in other larger general-purpose communities.

122 users have posted over 1,000 times. About 3,000 unique users have posted in AnimeGAF over the years, so the average user is posting around 200 times. This puts AnimeGAF at about 12th on the ranking of "most dedicated users", which is actually not bad relative to its size because it shows the community has core members but also is somewhat welcoming to new users.

lltp is there a place I can see more Neogaf community stats.

yeah, still pissed at that BS cliffhanger. Of course, there isn;t enough material for a full third season, so who knows if they even adapt the last volume(s) uuggh...
CEHy3IUUEAArJtn.jpg

Forever waiting for S3/OVA. I feel you brotha.

Jintor

bebop does have its flaws; most of its stories are far too heavily constrained by their episode runtime

dtl didn't identify any flaws though from memory :3

I think the only anime that I have personally never seen get hate on here is Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist. Otherwise every show has a dissenter and a champion. Everyone here likes vastly different types of shows. That's what makes discussions interesting on here. :)

I won't say I hate it, but I was bored by the first Bebop episode when I watched it on Hulu last year. I'm not fond of that type of setting. Instead of writing about it, I chose to say nothing as it didn't contribute to any discussion at that time.

The only show I'll say that I "hate" is Space Dandy. I was incredibly offended by the show's portrayal of its female characters in the first five minutes, much less the first episode, and couldn't stomach watching more of it. Beyond that, no atmosphere other than the color design and animation appealed to me. When I replied to a joke last week, it was mostly in fun and not meant to be very serious, but some people took it more seriously than I intended. I didn't feel like getting into another multi-post argument over entertainment, so I didn't respond to them because it was simply a joke.

My only incident of someone not liking something I do and it angering me was the discussion over my "Neuroscience of Sword Art Online" post. As a neuroscientist myself, it hit me personally in what I do and I took offense to that. I chose SAO to talk about as it's a popular show and I could educate people about the neuroscience in it easier than .hack or other shows people were trying to get me to talk about instead. Given that I had a standing-room only crowd at points, I feel I chose wisely.

sonicmj1

Now I'm trying to imagine what a talk titled "The Neuroscience of Psycho-Pass" would be like.

EDIT: I don't think the SAO talk was a bad idea.

Jintor

maybe i should do a panel next SMASH about the legal horrificness of SAO but I'd probably have to read the light novels to get it correct since someone assured me there was an explanation buried in there re: virtual helmet legality they never bothered bringing to the anime

Gbraga

So what happened with Gate?

Is anyone still watching it? Did it somehow get interesting?

I am, still really enjoying it, though I was already enjoying it from episode 1, so I don't think I can give you a reliable impression.

I like the characters and the constant cultural shock.

Squalor

I mean, all right, an Apocalypse Now reference is cool and all, but that doesn't really answer the question.

I am glad the anime hasn't entertained any obvious misconception that the people on the other side of the gate could put up any real fight against modern weaponry.
I am, still really enjoying it, though I was already enjoying it from episode 1, so I don't think I can give you a reliable impression.

I like the characters and the constant cultural shock.
The first two episodes were just paced really poorly, so that turned me off. I also didn't like the characterization for the main character, but if they've toned him down a bit, I could probably get into it more.

As I mentioned above, I was worried they were going to show things as being "equal" or nearly so between the two worlds instead of just having "our" world own the other world. Having one side be way more powerful, then navigating the story that way is a much more interesting approach, so if it has gone down that path, I'll try it again.

Defuser

I mean, all right, an Apocalypse Now reference is cool and all, but that doesn't really answer the question.

I am glad the anime hasn't entertained any obvious misconception that the people on the other side of the gate could put up any real fight against modern weaponry.

The first two episodes were just paced really poorly, so that turned me off. I also didn't like the characterization for the main character, but if they've toned him down a bit, I could probably get into it more.

As I mentioned above, I was worried they were going to show things as being "equal" or nearly so between the two worlds instead of just having "our" world own the other world. Having one side be way more powerful, then navigating the story that way is a much more interesting approach, so if it has gone down that path, I'll try it again.
If you're talking about his attitude regarding his hobby then he isn't like any MC of other shows where the otaku hobby overwhelms priorities. He may be slack,but he is level headed and acted like a commander after the first 2 episodes and didn't shown any fetish/interest towards the girls, in fact it's the other guy in his squad that showing his fetish tendencies.
And yes, the JDSF has been wiping the floor so far and finding ways to negoitate with the other side.

And Envelope. Even Bebop the Cowboy isn't universally loved.

Bebop s&#822;u&#822;c&#822;k&#822;s&#822; is meh/okayish.

Sign me up there.

Now I'm trying to imagine what a talk titled "The Neuroscience of Psycho-Pass" would be like.

EDIT: I don't think the SAO talk was a bad idea.

Dennou Coil would be much more deserving of a talk like that, considering that its creators actually must have spend lots of time thinking their stuff through, as evident by the result. It not only quickly presented an interesting setting but really worked with it 'til the end. There's plenty of interesting augmented reality concepts in there.

Squalor

If you're talking about his attitude regarding his hobby then he isn't like any MC of other shows where the otaku hobby overwhelms priorities. He may be slack,but he is level headed and acted like a commander after the first 2 episodes and didn't shown any fetish/interest towards the girls, in fact it's the other guy in his squad that showing his fetish tendencies.
And yes, the JDSF has been wiping the floor so far and finding ways to negoitate with the other side.
Okay, yeah, that sounds way more interesting than the way things kind of seemed to be going. Will have to give it another go.

Gbraga

Oh no, trust me, the medieval world doesn't stand a chance, even with magic and all that fantasy stuff, they get run over by modern weaponry, and that's a very big plot point, they're constantly overwhelmed by the modern world's war capabilities, and at the same time constantly shocked at the also modern... traditions, I guess? The fact that a soldier isn't claiming virgins and land just because he's more powerful is alien to them, even if to the soldier it's like "dude, no, what?"

I also enjoy how they have translators, even though they all speak japanese, it shows that the languages are different, but at the same time doesn't get too tiresome for the audience, it would be 90% foreign language if they actually used a different one, after all. They can convey Itami's basic skills when communicating in their language without using anything other than japanese.

I'm sure there will be far more direct conflict, but so far the cultural exchange has a much bigger focus than the battles themselves.

The otaku thing is also a lot more laid back than you'd expect from this kind of protagonist, but at the same time it doesn't completely ignore the fact that they're in a world where nekomimi girls exist. They talk about this kind of stuff, but it's not the one defining trait of his personality. I'd guess they made him an otaku just for the reactions when they find anime stuff there.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So what happened with Gate?

Is anyone still watching it? Did it somehow get interesting?
It's awful. The way it's written is absolutely atrocious, and doesn't cohere to basic modern practices that you'd learn in an entry level creative writing course. The characters themselves receive almost no attention, and often aren't even pushed to stand out or even react to the scenes. It is emotionless wish fulfillment dreck.

Squalor

Really interested in these Erica and Mikhail characters who are strong enough to take out A/0 Twilights.

Nicolas better watch his back.
It's awful. The way it's written is absolutely atrocious, and doesn't cohere to basic modern practices that you'd learn in an entry level creative writing course. The characters themselves receive almost no attention, and often aren't even pushed to stand out or even react to the scenes. It is emotionless wish fulfillment dreck.
I get it, but tell me how you really feel. Haha.

Gbraga

Really interested in these Erica and Mikhail characters who are strong enough to take out A/0 Twilights.

Nicolas better watch his back.

He's too hyped to watch his back. That smile at the end <3

Nico is so great, him playing with Nina was so cute, even if kinda over the top. Do we already know if it'll get an anime original ending? I hope they don't screw it up, one of the most interesting animes I've watched in quite a while, outstanding character development and world presentation, imo.

Squalor

I don't really understand. ha ha ha
It was just a joke.
He's too hyped to watch his back. That smile at the end <3

Nico is so great, him playing with Nina was so cute, even if kinda over the top. Do we already know if it'll get an anime original ending? I hope they don't screw it up, one of the most interesting animes I've watched in quite a while, outstanding character development and world presentation, imo.
I wonder whom he saw. The person didn't look like either of the two I was talking about. Maybe there are more to their team.

Also, Doug was way older than I was expecting. I thought he was an older teenager.

Nicolas and Warrick's past was fucking brutal. Wasn't expecting that at all. "That" as in the way it played out, not that I wasn't expecting a rough backstory.

Crocodile

Well I just finished SAO season 1.

Wow what an emotionally-gripping roller-coaster ride. I can't believe the journey this show just took me on. From Akihiko telling the players they're trapped in the SAO world, to the fights against mid bosses and dark guilds, to Kirito rescuing Asuna and reuniting his family atop the world tree. That show hit powerfully on every level.

I need some time to properly process what I've seen. My emotions are all over the place right now. I'm so glad that a love as real as Kirito and Asuna won out in the end. They deserved it.

Damn, what a show.

SMDRAKE50.png

There was no one that disliked Tsuritama, nor the start of Guilty Crown. Star Driver is always on folks best mecha lists.

It takes an amazing lack of self-awareness to say "the start of Guilty Crown" and not understand how that's a huge problem. As if the middle and end of shows don't matter LOL. Also I have NEVER seen Star Driver on a "best Mecha" list of ANY sort. Which isn't to say it has no redeeming qualities (animation is amazing and music is strong) but LOL if you think there is any favorable consensus for the show.

But Ping Pong is offensively ugly.

6356217515735021851116205440_Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

I won't say I hate it, but I was bored by the first Bebop episode when I watched it on Hulu last year. I'm not fond of that type of setting. Instead of writing about it, I chose to say nothing as it didn't contribute to any discussion at that time.

The only show I'll say that I "hate" is Space Dandy. I was incredibly offended by the show's portrayal of its female characters in the first five minutes, much less the first episode, and couldn't stomach watching more of it. Beyond that, no atmosphere other than the color design and animation appealed to me. When I replied to a joke last week, it was mostly in fun and not meant to be very serious, but some people took it more seriously than I intended. I didn't feel like getting into another multi-post argument over entertainment, so I didn't respond to them because it was simply a joke.

My only incident of someone not liking something I do and it angering me was the discussion over my "Neuroscience of Sword Art Online" post. As a neuroscientist myself, it hit me personally in what I do and I took offense to that. I chose SAO to talk about as it's a popular show and I could educate people about the neuroscience in it easier than .hack or other shows people were trying to get me to talk about instead. Given that I had a standing-room only crowd at points, I feel I chose wisely.

I'm having a real hard time understanding how Space Dandy episode 1 is offensive in a way that somehow SAO isn't (or a host of other shows but SAO is the topic du jour). Do stripper/hostess/dance club scenes in like a million other western entertainment products equally offend you?

I will say I'm glad that your neuroscience talk seems to have been successful. Were people actually engaged by the science or was it more of an audience of "SAO is cool so anything good said about it must be cool as well"? Or perhaps you couldn't tell? Either way, I'm still interested in reading that though I'm not going to press you if you're busy.

But how is it in comparison to other emotionless wish fulfillment dreck?

Jarmel

Banned
I honestly don't know if Gate qualifies as wish fullfillment at this point. None of the girls are actively going after Itami and he generally doesn't seem interested in them. He was more into the Monster Girls brigade. In fact the show does go out of way at times to shit on him like when that female in his squad complained that he didn't 'look' like a Ranger or how he got the shit beat out of him recently.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
But how is it in comparison to other emotionless wish fulfillment dreck?
Very, very low. Other dreck is rarely this emotionless.
I honestly don't know if Gate qualifies as wish fullfillment at this point. None of the girls are actively going after Itami and he generally doesn't seem interested in them. He was more into the Monster Girls brigade. In fact the show does go out of way at times to shit on him like when that female in his squad complained that he didn't 'look' like a Ranger or how he got the shit beat out of him recently.
Wishes exist beyond sexual intercourse. The ranger thing was like..."I did it without even trying", and got other people talking about what a great warrior he is.

kewlmyc

I wouldn't say it's wish fulfillment at this point (though I hear the LN/manga goes more down that route later), but it's certainly pro-JSDF at this point, which I don't mind. It's better than yet another spiky haired high school protag.

Gbraga

EDIT: I really want to watch Sword Art Online, just to see why people hate it so much. For some reason I think I'll like it.

I wonder whom he saw. The person didn't look like either of the two I was talking about. Maybe there are more to their team.

Also, Doug was way older than I was expecting. I thought he was an older teenager.

Nicolas and Warrick's past was fucking brutal. Wasn't expecting that at all. "That" as in the way it played out, not that I wasn't expecting a rough backstory.

What I loved about Doug is that he didn't react in the usual anime way, of getting up, seeing Nicolas, being aggressive and wanting to fight, he was able to calm the fuck down, they talked, and that was it. I loved it.

The backstory was pretty nice indeed, I adore the exposition in this anime,
"I fall a lot too" broke my heart, and Nico removing Worrick's eye was brutal, that I definitely didn't expect, even if the show hinted at the overall arc quite heavily for a few episodes. I also like how you just never know the characters' intentions for sure. I couldn't help but feel like there was at least a bit of truth when Worrick said he hates Twilights.

Jarmel

Banned

There's a number of Space Dandy episodes that have nothing to do with Honey that you might appreciate, especially near the end of the first season and much of the 2nd season. Since it's an anthology of sorts, the show utilizes its freedom and goes for broke very often. I would just pick and choose the episodes you watch.

Mailbox

I'm the only one who didn't hate brynhildr aren't I?

And yeah. Everyone hates something the other loves.

Nothing is universally loved.

Defuser

Thats ironic considering the girl that keeps on complaining about Itami's capabilities didn't wait for his commands/orders and charged right in which probably forced him to change his tactics.

And he didn't show any fetish interest to the monster girls either, just enjoying being served thats all. Again it's the other guy in the squad exibiting the fetishes.

Wishes exist beyond sexual intercourse. The ranger thing was like..."I did it without even trying", and got other people talking about what a great warrior he is.
Since when did his team ever say he breezes through the ranger course? I watch the episode a few times and they never said that.

Jarmel

Banned

Well it was treated more as a matter of fact instead of an accomplishment. I would say, as previously mentioned, that it's closer to being propaganda for the JDSF as a whole rather than wish fullfillment Itami in particular. He hasn't had any overt failures but the show hasn't languished him with praise and worship like Overlord has.

Mailbox

first couple episodes are aight

then it just crams shit

Oh yeah, I'm completely agreeing that the pacing goes to all hell.

Just wondering what people think of last seasons Yamada-kun and the 7 witches.
It adapted over 90 chapters of manga into 12 episodes and I think they did a pretty decent job, surprisingly. Though the sound editor definitely fucked up badly (the music is wayyyy to fucking loud in some scenes)

Cornbread78

If you don't take is seriously, I've found Gate to be a lot of fun to watch. Everyone was worried about it being super nationalistic, but I haven't seen that being a problem at all so far.

I like the unique character designs as well.

one of the funnier otaku culture references:
tumblr_nraejffLcj1qzk4cro1_500.png

This evil goth loli chick has been fun so far:

as well as Lelei is one of the best, and of course, what is an anime without the perverted old man, seen getting blasted
by Lelei..

tumblr_nrujbgHt0L1r60zuio1_500.gif

Yeah, the show is nothing amazing, but it is damn fun to watch and the OP is pretty catchy as well...

Gbraga

Oh yeah, I'm completely agreeing that the pacing goes to all hell.

Just wondering what people think of last seasons Yamada-kun and the 7 witches.
It adapted over 90 chapters of manga into 12 episodes and I think they did a pretty decent job, surprisingly. Though the sound editor definitely fucked up badly (the music is wayyyy to fucking loud in some scenes)

It was fine. I enjoyed it while it lasted, but I don't think I'd watch it in a packed season like the current one. Reminded me a lot of D-Frag, which I also enjoyed quite a bit.

If you don't take is seriously, I've found Gate to be a lot of fun to watch. Everyone was worried about it being super nationalistic, but I haven't seen that being a problem at all so far.

I like the unique character designs as well.

one of the funnier otaku culture references:

This evil goth loli chick has been fun so far:

as well as Lelei is one of the best, and of course, what is an anime without the perverted old man, seen getting blasted by Lelei..

Yeah, the show is nothing amazing, but it is damn fun to watch and the OP is pretty catchy as well...

The OP is really good, indeed. I was also surprised by how fun Rory is. All of them, actually, Lelei is much much better than I thought she would be at first.

JulianImp

Wait, can I join the Sword Art Online-sucks contingency here?

At least we got an okay-ish discussion out of it rather than just endless name-calling. It was interesting for me to hear that the LN actually covered some dungeoneering in the ALO arc that was sadly removed for the anime adaptation, since one of my big complaints about that arc (besides the captive princess Asuna, rapey antagonist and all the deus ex machinas that began showing up near the end) was that Kirito had supposedly joined a world with lots of specialized races and stuff, and yet all we saw was a single fight where he saved the day and forced the war-mongering red faction to give up on its ambitions.

If I actually had to choose a series I liked even less than SAO, it'd definitely be Nisekoi. Love them SHAFT visuals, but the plot advances at a pace that makes even Detective Conan look good. I honestly can't stand the set-up of having two characters having a meaningful interaction that could result in plot development, only to have some random (often comedic) event happen that absolutely ruins the mood.

On the topic of a seasonal show I'm currently watching, I agree that Durarara can be slow at times, but I really like how the writers manage to juggle such a large cast. It isn't as good as Baccano IMO, but I still like me some supernatural character drama about everybody having a side they don't want anybody else to know about.

So what would count as an enjoyable wish fulfillment anime? I mean, you can't really sell them as shows on tier with stuff like Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop, but which ones make you say: "Hey, this isn't all that bad! This is actually pretty fun!"

For me I'd say Accel World would qualify as one. Thanks to its game world actually being interesting and it having some well-animated fight scenes, the show itself actually comes off as watchable and fun. This is despite the fact that the premise is literally: "the popular girl in school confesses her love to a short fat loser because he's good at virtual video games and wants him to join her in a bigger virtual video game."

It was also written by Reki Kawahara, A.K.A the writer of SAO. Now I know that sounds like an instant turn-off, but Accel World shows that people who wrote stuff like SAO can very much improve.

The more I talk about this the more I want a S2 of Accel World. :(

Jarmel

Banned
I personally view wish fullfiment works as shows where characters or villains exist purely as puppets for the main character to knock down as a way of adding to the main character's accomplishments. Mahouka and Overlord spring to mind immediately. There's also the sexual element in particular shows where girls will get immediately wet when they hear the lead's name whispered.

duckroll

Space Dandy's first 3 episodes are pretty bad in terms of an introduction to the show. If i wasn't so optimistic about the anthology format of the series I would probably have dropped it after the third episode. There isn't really much to defend on the misogyny front because the show definitely takes cues from dated throwbacks of retro-scifi where women are seen as objects or companions for the bold male hunters or whatever, but I would say most of the stories in the series doesn't really play this up, and sometimes the tables are turned on the heroes to show how stupid they really are as stereotypes.

What's great about Space Dandy as a series is that there's a wealth of creativity and variety throughout the series, and while there are clear stinkers, there's a pretty good standard of quality in the storytelling from most of the contributors. It's too bad that it started off with a really stupid episode, and then barely two weeks after that had to do an even dumber boob monster thing. It definitely turned a lot of people off and I don't blame them.

Jarmel

Banned
So what would count as an enjoyable wish fulfillment anime? I mean, you can't really sell them as shows on tier with stuff like Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop, but which ones make you say: "Hey, this isn't all that bad! This is actually pretty fun!"

For me I'd say Accel World would qualify as one. Thanks to its game world actually being interesting and it having some well-animated fight scenes, the show itself actually comes off as watchable and fun. This is despite the fact that the premise is literally: "the popular girl in school confesses her love to a short fat loser because he's good at virtual video games and wants him to join her in a bigger virtual video game."

Accel World wouldn't apply considering the main character is literally drawn as a pig and is constantly bullied leading to self esteem issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom