• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 14

MMMMAAAAAARRRRRKKKKKK!!!

Also... Bro, bro, bro! Do you even...
jojo14caeasar.jpg

Shimoneta: A Boring World Where Everything is Lewd 8

Anna has officially gone full Yandere at this point with that opening scene. And the new girl is one psychotic dick. Things are getting interesting once again.

Also is just (half-asleep) me, or does someone who thinks basketball nets, Ping Pong balls and toilet paper are lewd items, the real perverts here?

Cornbread78

Well, I've been a lurker for quite some time, since I thought my account still wasn't activated... I found out today, while searching for some old e-mail that it has been... way back in april lol

Thanks!

Well, I made an account and filled out a quick profile, with basically the anime I watched last season and the ones I'm watching now, otherwise it would take forever for me to remember them all. A few extras here and there that popped into my mind as I was filling it, though.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Gvitor&status=7&order=0

Just off the top of my head:

Angel Beats
Kanon (2006)
Campione!
Fruit of Grisaia
Barakamon

That's a good start right there, lol.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm gonna have to read some arguments from people later about why the drama in Toradora isn't good. This climax in episode 23 is fucking amazing on so many levels.

This is Getting Called Out: The Show

javac

What the hell is this show, it's a fucking monster holy shit, what a masterpiece. I might as well spoil my score for this right now prematurely, 10 out of 10 because there's no way this show drops from these heights.

Episode 15 was great, Cobra reminiscences about the past, in particular a moment when he was saved by someone. Years have passed since and Cobra wants to meet up with his old friend, the one who saved him, Vega in order to pay him a visit. Of course his friend still thinks Cobra's been dead all this time so when he shows up out of the blue it takes a little convincing but once all that's out of the way things pick up. Vega's planet is in ruins and he wants the help of Cobra to retrieve the Dragon Crystal, an artifact that helps his planet thrive. Cobra decides to go to the high security museum in order to take it back. Vega only has days to live and so they head out. It's a great episode again with Cobra antics and a great ending.
To my surprise, the next four episodes are all connected, and man what a fucking ride they were. Holy. Shit. The rundown: Episode 16 starts off with Cobra bumping into his old acquaintance, Dominique who wants some help. There’s a sport called Rugball, and for all you people who don’t know what Rugball is, it’s a game of Baseball with the physicality of Rugby…well apart from the part that allows players to kill each other. The team on Planet Ralu, the Red Saxons are running a Narcotics ring and Dominique wants Cobra to figure out the Narcotics route. To do so, he has to enroll on the team. The problem, the Galactic Patrols jurisdiction doesn’t reach Planet Ralu so he’s on his own from here on out.
The next four episodes (from Episode 16 to Episode 19) deal with his enrollment and his time with Rugball. Being the newbie, the people there try to push him around and kill him but little do they know that they’re dealing with the seemingly immortal Cobra who wastes no time making a few enemies as well as a few friends. Starting at the bottom rank he makes his way up quickly, impressing the owner who wants to make Cobra his next star player. Of course Cobra is here for another job, but as he creates his own team and challenges the Number One Rugball team his investment in both is equal as he juggles the two tasks.
Honestly these episodes were incredible and without a single flaw. The humor was on point, the tension was razor sharp and the characterization is fantastic. You really root for the team and the bad guys are true assholes. You really care about the whole thing. It was just a blast. Space Cobra, this show is the real deal, not that I had any doubts.

Shimoneta 8

Kosuri really is a
manipulative one. I wonder if she'll end up having a fallout with other SOX members due to her techniques.

New girl is hilariously daft.
Though with the title of the next episode, I'm guessing she's an android of sorts? Given how easy it is to manipulate her. Her eyes are also empty and lack any sort of reflection.

Goriki striving for Okuma's attention is kinda cute.

Anna, oh Anna.

Cornbread78

Shimoneta 8

Kosuri really is a
manipulative one. I wonder if she'll end up having a fallout with other SOX members due to her techniques.

New girl is hilariously daft.
Though with the title of the next episode, I'm guessing she's an android of sorts? Given how easy it is to manipulate her. Her eyes are also empty and lack any sort of reflection.

Goriki striving for Okuma's attention is kinda cute.

Anna, oh Anna.

He's read the magazines and wants to try it out, lol

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Rinne no Lagrange episode 8
Alright, so im watchign this dubbed right, and the loli grabs madoka's boobs and says it they arent good enough, thats w/e but the next one is her saying: "with that said, it would make for some excellent scissoring" and she symbolizes it with her two fingers closing which im pretty sure a lesbian sex joke, is this the same in the japanese original audio?

Guys, I think watching Akame Ga Kill is slowly hallowing everyone out in the toonami thread.

If I could look into their eyes, I imagine they'd be dull eyes.

Also I watched the first episode of Charlotte.

I don't understand the show, or why it exist.

blurr

Durarara X2 Ten episode 8 was all about Izaya, he's just reminding us who he is and also flexing his new group. Really fun episode, laughed a lot.

blurr

Another lovely episode of Gakkou Gurashi, things seem to be heading in the right direction as well with Yuki. She is such a charm, feel at ease just listening to her voice.

GTO - The Animation
Episode 43: Onizuka's final battle

That entire series was just amazing. Binge watched it in 3 days.

The characters. The action. The plot.

Everything about it was just amazing.

This is the best anime I have ever seen. Gonna order the mangas and watch the dramas for it now. God damn.

phaze

Dennou Coil 1-2

I can't really say this rocked my socks off but it has been enjoyable watch for sure. Though to be honest, I find it hard to get excited about kids playing their VR game and I can see it dampening my enjoyment in the long run. At least it's not full on SAO, LH, Overlord and remains firmly grounded in the real world. So far at least. The opening and ending seem to carry more serious and melancholic overtones, at least compared to the current, mostly comedic tint so I hope there will be some of that later on.

Shimoneta 8

Predictable, low brow Anna may be but goddamn it if she's not entertaining. The first few scenes were hilarious.

blurr

Dennou Coil 1-2

I can't really say this rocked my socks off but it has been enjoyable watch for sure. Though to be honest, I find it hard to get excited about kids playing their VR game and I can see it dampening my enjoyment in the long run. At least it's not full on SAO, LH, Overlord and remains firmly grounded in the real world. So far at least. The opening and ending seem to carry more serious and melancholic overtones, at least compared to the current, mostly comedic tint so I hope there will be some of that later on.

I was really blown away right from the first episode, just the scale of things was enough to leave me at awe. I've seen a bunch of shows with ridiculous settings but this didn't feel sketchy at all, there's a lot of detail which it will delve into later on(but hints on initially). It's one of the best anime I've watched, makes very good use of the setting. It's too bad the creator of the show didn't work on anything else apart from this.

Dennou Coil 1-2

Finally you ascended.

I still gotta do my writeup on this show. Even took a lot of screenshots but then didn't quite know what to write *shrug*.

Kids doing augmented reality shenanigans is quite an apt description for the beginning but even within the first episode it should be apparent that there's more than just that. OP and ED are quite telling, too.

Also, while they're kids, they actually do behave appropriately as such. There's too many anime with characters being kids only in name when they're really behaving like late teens.

edit: Just swapped my avatar to honor one of the best designed entities in anime!

Razmos

Durarara x2 episode 20: Earthworm's character design as well as the Amphisbanae name would fit in perfectly with Baccano lol

It's been a while since we've seen Izaya trolling, as entertaining as it is though, this episode didn't really fill much purpose other than giving Izaya's army some screen time. And the next episode is just a flashback to Izaya's high school days? boring.

Defuser

Shimoneta ep 8
So we have a perverted fluid Yandere, sadistic penis head loli and a hentai voyeur artist, despite the constant sex puns Ayame seems tame when compared to the rest. How does Okuma handle such madness.

NeonZ

Lupin III - 2nd series (Red Jacket)

Lupin_s02_ep050_01_zpsefsif9wf.jpg
Lupin_s02_ep079_01_zpsdjtbr5qv.jpg

Flashbacks to the beginning of Lupin's career, before he met Jigen and the others, according to this season
Lupin_s02_ep111_01_zpszginhnr8.jpg

Young Jigen

So, I've finished watching the entire series now. Overall, it's a very uneven experience, although with some great episodes appearing once in a while. The show can change a lot from episode to episode, although some elements remain constant, like the relationships between characters.

In the original series, Lupin and Zenigata seemed like serious enemies initially before forming a friendly rivalry, and that element seems to have stuck here.

Lupin_s02_ep063_01_zpsqw6x8j5w.jpg
Lupin_s02_ep032_01_zpspovphgpa.jpg

Scene from episode 63 vs scene from episode 32

Even though the show couldn't decide if Lupin kills or not, Zenigata was consistently attempting to send him to jail without killing him, and shown to be sad every time he was seemingly killed. Lupin also never really tries to kill him and even outright helps him sometimes.

Although, even regarding that, there are also two episodes where Lupin basically leaves Zenigata behind to basically die, and he only returns afterwards due to the goofy episodic format of the show (once sinking in a submarine, another time
stuck in the body of an old man close to death after Lupin destroyed the body swap machine

In the same way, Jigen, Goemon and Fujiko don't really change through the series, and no new member is added to Lupin's party. Both Jigen and Goemon constantly throw doubts and question Lupin's willingness to work alongside Fujiko, while Fujiko often attempts to betray Lupin, only to end up betrayed herself by her other partners.

Although not related to Goemon's character itself, I liked how the Zantetsuken was much more consistent here than in the green jacket series, where it seemed to break every other episode. In the Red Jacket series, it actually seems like a legendary sword, and the times it fails or breaks seem like a much bigger deal due to that... until it fails against something fairly minor anyway. The show just seems unable to remain consistent about anything.

In general, I thought the series' best episodes were when Lupin is actually shown to be extremely competent, maybe even impossibly so. The stories I enjoyed the most generally involved rivals going after Lupin himself, or seemingly impossible heists. Alongside those though, the show has many episodes about Lupin encountering goofy one shot characters and deciding to help them somehow, alongside heist focused episodes where Lupin actually seems really incompetent, and those often seemed to be some of the series' weakest. There are a couple of recurring villains who appear in three and two stories, including one from the original tv series, although they don't really stand out much in spite of that. Of course, that's not a hard classification. There's an episode where Lupin is in a fictional country based on Nazi Germany, surrounded by the army in a small fort and unable to escape. He isn't remarkably competent in that story, but it was still a really great episode.

There are also a few episodes that focus on Jigen. Those generally are more serious stories, either focused on tragic love interest or serious rivals. They generally had a more consistent quality than the other episodes, although they weren't among the show's best either. They were kind of hurt since some of the characteristics of the comedic episodes were kept during them, and often that doesn't work near as well. There's one episode with a scene where Jigen had to jump from a train to a bridge (above the train) in order to escape - and did so instantly without problems. Usually that wouldn't be odd at all for Lupin, but when the episode spends 10 minutes trying to be serious and create a dangerous atmosphere, that's really out of place. Goemon also his a few episodes starring him, although they're much lower in number and their quality and style was much more variable than Jigen's.

An odd change I noticed through the series was regarding Lupin's standard red (and later yellow) car, which goes from super bullet proof and filled with special abilities in the first 60 or so episodes to basically a normal car for the rest of the series. That happened after one episode where it blew up, so I just told myself that Lupin stuck with only replicas afterwards. Although the original super vehicle was seemingly destroyed multiple times anyway.

The art of the series is an improvement over the original series, especially in background and mechanical design, although it generally doesn't stand out either. The backgrounds also seemed to get fairly generic when they didn't have real locations to draw from.

Like everything else though, it's fairly inconsistent and two episodes (145 and 155) looked particularly great in basically every category.

Lupin_s02_ep145_01_zps3ihi5mlj.jpg
Lupin_s02_ep145_02_zps8kbguhf2.jpg

I didn't know Robotnik/Eggman was based on a Lupin character.

Speaking about inconsistency, there's this very minor character I want to highlight - Sherlock Holmes III.

Lupin_s02_ep014_01_zpse5gjvkko.jpg
Lupin_s02_ep097_01_zpsd0pwxvgi.jpg

Yes, those two are both "Sherlock Holmes III.

Two episodes (14 and 97) presented completely different versions of Sherlock Holmes III, grandson of the original Holmes. In the first one, he's a famous detective with past history with Lupin, although this story is never told, and it seems to be a fairly friendly relationship too. He's also a big joke, since Lupin basically beats him off screen.

In his 2nd, much later appearance, we have a much more antagonistic version of Holmes III, who hires professional killers to put an end to Lupin III and obtain a treasure from the original Lupin. Luckily, for him, he returns in one of those episodes where Lupin and his gang don't kill.

Overall, it's a very inconsistent and extremely episodic show, with some great episodes and some very weak ones. The 1st series, in spite of its change of direction, was much more consistently enjoyable, although the highs of this series likely go higher than the ones of the original one.

Cornbread78

Charlotte has gotten much better the past few weeks. They spent 5 3/4 episodes messing around, then it changes.....

Charlotte 08

Everyone seems to not have liked this episode, but I did. He clearly still mourns his sister, and thinks about her. It was nice seeing that these events seem to have made him a better person that cares about others too. Looking forward to his concert date with Nao.

I think there was a lot more plot related items built into the episode than everyone thinks, next week should solidify some of those theories.

Phatmac

Guys, I think watching Akame Ga Kill is slowly hallowing everyone out in the toonami thread.

If I could look into their eyes, I imagine they'd be dull eyes.

I can't imagine watching a dub for the show considering how mediocre it is in Japanese.

Gvitor

Just off the top of my head:

Angel Beats
Kanon (2006)
Campione!
Fruit of Grisaia
Barakamon

That's a good start right there, lol.

Well, going by synopsis alone, I'll start with Angel Beats. Barakamon's synopsis was really weird, btw. Exile by punching a calligrapher, what?

Cornbread78

TBF I haven't actually see or know much about anything that happens in FD outside of the fact the fem lead is a yandere who wins.

Lol, no worries dude, I was messing with you. I think anyone that watches the first couple episodes knows she's gonna kick major ass. She is a cutie yandere afterall.

Narag

Well, going by synopsis alone, I'll start with Angel Beats. Barakamon's synopsis was really weird, btw. Exile by punching a calligrapher, what?

It's probably the most grounded premise of the five, especially when one abstracts it out as an artist ruining his career and attempting to start it anew.

Lain

Aoharu x Kikanjuu 8

A mention that Hotaru is a girl and
she freezes up like a moron? Where did all that justice bloodlust go, one wonders.
Yep, this keeps being a disappointment.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Charlotte has gotten much better the past few weeks. They spent 5 3/4 episodes messing around, then it changes.....

I think there was a lot more plot related items built into the episode than everyone thinks, next week should solidify some of those theories.

On the other hand there rally was no excuse for having two music videos in one episode.

Cornbread78

Barakamon is the only show in that list that is actually good instead of having a "but..."

Ouch, I was going based on him MAL, but yeah, the "but" can apply to almost every anime series, lol.

On the other hand there rally was no excuse for having two music videos in one episode.

True, but each music segment had it's own importance to the story from what I noticed, so I'll give it a pass because the content was great (Yusarin's song wasn't to hot, but those lyrics. ..)

Tuck

The individual characters are certainly the highlight

Im caught up to the latest episode(damn cliffhangers) and i kind of like our main... Seems yo have enough layers (though the strongest man thing... Wtf)

Flamie.... Not diggin her.. Should have come up.with a different backstory and theme.

Princess Piena (forget trying to spell her actual name) started off amazing and then quickly became lame.... I really hope she gets some fire back in her belly.

Goldov is lame at face value but is generating interest and suspicion which is cool. He seems like he has ample motivations and opportunity to do bad things to get what he wants while stil trying to maintain his current perceived image. I have no evidence of this.... Just a feeling

I migh cover the others in another post. Clearly im invested enough to write all this
Flamie is a pretty solid character with a horrible VA. And considering she is a major character, she is unfortunately ruining the show for me. Been thinking about dropping it.

Cornbread78

Working ep.8
Well, looks like Yamada isn't going anywhere, lol. The show is always good for a few good laughs. We still need more development on those relationships in the kitchen though. Probably only 4 episodes left, so they need to get it going, lol.

Flamie is a pretty solid character with a horrible VA. And considering she is a major character, she is unfortunately ruining the show for me. Been thinking about dropping it.

I mean... I like her design and her personality

Just the story behind was so awful and lame that it really took the edge off what was looking to be a great character

Now post info drop Flamie is easily my least favorite.

As for the last 3. Chamot... Undecided. Seems tropey being the overpowered little girl.

Maora(sp) doesnt stick out. Seems to be the older and experienced figure and is pretty straight and narrow. I expect her to get fleshed out at some point.

Cat Ninja Man Hans - effing odd and cool in my book. I hope he sticks around and continues to get many fight scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom