• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rokka no Yuusha - 08

Good episode. I really liked the setup and execution of the scenes involving Adlet and Hans. The mindgames by scattering all the "possible weapons" to drive away attention from the obvious one was neat.
Chamot the little shit head brat can fuck off. I don't think she's the 7th, but she's so annoying to me, that I hope she actually is the 7th.

I'm still sticking with
Bunny_____
being the 7th.
zrYZekW.jpg
XN5vBut.jpg

Gangsta 08

Another excellent episode. Alex is starting to get her memories back, and her voice is amazing. That song at the end was great, all while showing us the Handymen fighting the anti-twilights. While all of this happened someone tried to sneak into the club.
That was definitely her brother. I just wonder if he is with the "good guys" or not.
Who knows.

Rokka 08
Hans and Adlet make a good
investigation team, glad they straightened things out.
What the fuck is up with Chamot though. Red flags all over this crazy kid. Stay the hell away from her.

I think the 7th is
Maura tbh. Ever since she asked Hans to show her his own seal instead of checking her own, I've been noticing some weird things that she says. Like trying to convince Flamie to kill Adlet this episode. Idk...

So I've been playing some of the older Fire Emblem games.

We're never gonna get another Fire Emblem anime are we?

That's wrong, because characters like Lyndis deserve to be animated

latest
I'm Kent right now.

On a slightly less depressing note, having watched the most recent Gangsta, I would recommend that if you dropped it early, because you thought it was cliche, to give it another shot.

It's not an action show, despite what the early episodes showed. It's almost more of mystery show. Perhaps the only real complaint I have with Gangsta right now is that it's not looker to be sure. But that's Manglobe.

Yes, Manglobe, a company that's probably going to follow studio Gonzo into history soon....

What? Studio Gonzo isn't defunct?

1437920790-chandler-bing-really-gif.gif

Gintama the Movie: Be Forever Yoruzuya

Well that was pretty solid. Since arcs in Gintama are extremely short in comparison to other Shonen series, this is basically just a six episode arc with one long runtime. Which is fine because the arcs don't really lose anything by being short. Of course being a movie has it's benefits - it looks pretty good and has good production values.

The designs for Shinpachi and Kagura are good, and the personality traits like Shinpachi almost falling back into his yelling straight man gimmick when agitated and Kagura picking up lines from a generic Rie Kugimiya tsundere are great. Kondo and Zura finally become bros too ;_;7. They never said why they were fighting the Shogunate though, that kind of bothered me. Every main character (that is every character that shows up on a decent basis) is represented in a way that doesn't feel forced and no one is fighting for screentime (except Yamazaki) but I kind of wish they got more drastic design changes like Shinpachi and Kagura. It was kind of weird with the Joi War stuff when Gintoki's 5-man squad has two people whom we don't even know who they are. I instantly called the identity of the main villain. It was just super obvious to me. The nanomachines shit made me laugh because it's basically just FOXDIE and the plot is pretty much Terminator so that's cool. The ending "EVERYONE TEAMS UP!" fight is cliche but I always love that. The last gag with Shinpachi actually made me choke on the water I was drinking.

I'll put it on the same tier as One Piece Film Z where it might not stand up on it's own to a newcomer but for a fan of the series due to the help of the original author and a well made story it would be nearly impossible for a fan not to like.

So I've been playing some of the older Fire Emblem games.

We're never gonna get another Fire Emblem anime are we?

There's an OVA.

Eh, I've watched some 70s Toei shows and they're generally pretty choppy too. They've always been this extremely cheap studio that sometimes make some rare high budget projects.

That's pretty much every studio. Most 70s shows didn't look all that great though, yes. When I mean unmatched history I mean they are both really old and have worked on many respected series like Dragon Ball and Cyborg 009 and people like Nagai. I would say only Tatsunoko, Ghibli, Sunrise and Tezuka Productions could match Toei's catalog.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Season 1 (Subtitled) Episode 10 & 11 – Judai & Sho! Tag-Team Duel (Part 2)
We need a Manjoume arc, it was hilarious seeing him just speak of crushing and smiling all madly alone sitting there. If he loses the next episode, then the writing is a bit questionable.

Shield Crush is another cheap card that needs to be banned. I always hated how powerful monsters can go down from cheesy cheap effects.

Also more KENN english was amazing, everytime REVERSE CARD OPEN, and elemental hero names.

The Shinpachi gag at the end of the movie is like the culmination of Gintama humor. Where if you hadn't watched the entire series prior it'd be a disservice to you as a fan. It's especially effective with a bit of nostalgia.

Glad to see the film still holds up for somebody who had JUST watched the series. When I watched the movie I had caught up with the show like a year or two prior, so it wasn't massive nostalgia but I wanted more gintama so bad.

It's taking every fiber of will in me to not watch the newest series until it ends so I can just marathon it.

Kansoku

Trapeze on blast

I like Mononoke a lot but Toei has done plenty of other cool things, including another series from the same director...

Toei hasn't always been modern Toei y'know. They have a nearly unmatched history..

Did you not watch Majinbone?!

I was kidding guys. I like Digimon (well at least some of them), Kuchuu Buranko, Kyousougiga and other stuff from them. Even my first anime ever was from them (Kamisama Kazoku).

Mononoke is still so much better (than their usual stuff) though, might as well be the only good thing :p.

Cornbread78

Spice and Wolf S2 ep.6-END
I must say that I'm highly fond of this anime in the end. The interactions between Horo and Lawrence were amazing both in bringing put the complexities and insecurities of their relationship, as well as, the mix of their business ideals/methods. The last arc was really well done, but I did get lost with what he
lost from the theft. Did he lose his horse, cart, all of the merchandise, and the money he went into the city with?
Also, that final interaction with Holo
as he went to retrieve her from the church
was awesome stuff and true to their nature and really proved their character and relationship development.
It just really sucks they skipped on making a S3 and I really want to see how their story ends. I've seen the books really cheap on Barnes and Noble, but does anyone know which book the anime ends off with?

Phatmac

Hans and Adlet make a good team but him going Nyaaah every second is infuriating. I feel kinda bad for the princess's childhood friend considering how long he's been in the friend zone only to watch her care more about Adlet than reliable old you. The barf stuff at the end was pretty dumb though.

John Blade

I must say that I'm highly fond of this anime in the end. The interactions between Horo and Lawrence were amazing both in bringing put the complexities and insecurities of their relationship, as well as, the mix of their business ideals/methods. The last arc was really well done, but I did get lost with what he
lost from the theft. Did he lose his horse, cart, all of the merchandise, and the money he went into the city with?
was awesome stuff and true to their nature and really proved their character and relationship development.
It just really sucks they skipped on making a S3 and I really want to see how their story ends. I've seen the books really cheap on Barnes and Noble, but does anyone know which book the anime ends off with?

The novel is actually retelling the entire story and also continue the story with Horo and Lawrence. Few difference from the novel and the anime from what I read. If you still love this anime storyline and want to found out more, I would recommend to buy the novel as it's actually good reading and not too hard to read it.

Squishy3

Gintama the Movie: Be Forever Yoruzuya

Well that was pretty solid. Since arcs in Gintama are extremely short in comparison to other Shonen series, this is basically just a six episode arc with one long runtime. Which is fine because the arcs don't really lose anything by being short. Of course being a movie has it's benefits - it looks pretty good and has good production values.

The designs for Shinpachi and Kagura are good, and the personality traits like Shinpachi almost falling back into his yelling straight man gimmick when agitated and Kagura picking up lines from a generic Rie Kugimiya tsundere are great. Kondo and Zura finally become bros too ;_;7. They never said why they were fighting the Shogunate though, that kind of bothered me. Every main character (that is every character that shows up on a decent basis) is represented in a way that doesn't feel forced and no one is fighting for screentime (except Yamazaki) but I kind of wish they got more drastic design changes like Shinpachi and Kagura. It was kind of weird with the Joi War stuff when Gintoki's 5-man squad has two people whom we don't even know who they are. I instantly called the identity of the main villain. It was just super obvious to me. The nanomachines shit made me laugh because it's basically just FOXDIE and the plot is pretty much Terminator so that's cool. The ending "EVERYONE TEAMS UP!" fight is cliche but I always love that. The last gag with Shinpachi actually made me choke on the water I was drinking.

I'll put it on the same tier as One Piece Film Z where it might not stand up on it's own to a newcomer but for a fan of the series due to the help of the original author and a well made story it would be nearly impossible for a fan not to like.
It's something where you can tell they put a lot into it because they never expected it'd do so well and give them another season of the anime.

Also, the beginning bit is rotoscoped. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT7ijnOHEDs&ab_channel=jargus0

Phatmac

Either Rokka is a dumb show since Muara is so obviously the seventh brave or it's a smart show with making us think it's her since she had the key and is acting really suspicious. I'd be legit shook if she wasn't the seventh.

Narag

Hidamari Sketch x365 6
Show needs less Chika and more Natsume.

Jewelpet Kira Deco! 15
Definitely one of the more bizarre eps made even more bizarre by the movie references it decided to toss out.

Mushishi 10
In a show with nothing but great eps, this one was a standout. I mostly credit the specific nature of the Mushi and the hailstorm at the end as they gave this one such a wonderfully ethereal atmosphere.

Watamote 10
I suspect that maybe these comedy series aren't necessarily the ones at fault when I'm watching them as it seems consistent that I hit feel fatigued around this point and hope for the show to end soon and/or end well. I had similar issues with Sabagebu! and Detroit Metal City where, while I liked those shows, I felt the humor was becoming more uneven.

And now, for a thing I heard unironically in the "wtf has happened to anime" thread.

"Terra Formars has been great, but I hear the anime is terribly censored. I read the manga. I've read up till #7. I recommend that, but even then I wish we had more like it."

Goodbye life. Our romance was a fleeting but passionate one.

Barney's_film.png

Sonicbug

They skipped Vol. #4 and adapted 1,2,3 & 5. So you can pick it up at #6. (Although I think a character from #4 shows up again later...) The Yen releases are quite good.

Time to make a small dent into my watchbet...

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 15-17

I love training arcs and seeing people improve over time. So I really was digging this arc. Jojo is really this dumb hero that you end up rooting for. Maybe not as gentlemanly or courageous as his grandfather but pretty great in his own right. Maybe I was a bit too hasty about him all those episodes ago.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
And now, for a thing I heard unironically in the "wtf has happened to anime" thread.

"Terra Formars has been great, but I hear the anime is terribly censored. I read the manga. I've read up till #7. I recommend that, but even then I wish we had more like it."

Barney's_film.png

don't worry we still have a ton of moe fans to keep us afloat for a couple of years

Narag

Barney's_film.png

I checked out the first couple of volumes this month and it was the most edgelord shit. :lol

Cornbread78

They skipped Vol. #4 and adapted 1,2,3 & 5. So you can pick it up at #6. (Although I think a character from #4 shows up again later...) The Yen releases are quite good.

The novel is actually retelling the entire story and also continue the story with Horo and Lawrence. Few difference from the novel and the anime from what I read. If you still love this anime storyline and want to found out more, I would recommend to buy the novel as it's actually good reading and not too hard to read it.

Wow, so it's better to just read them all in order from scratch. Loved the way they created their relationship and how it grew throughout.

Barney's_film.png

I'm not racist. My favorite manga isn't a racist depiction of black people!

Heysoos

Rokka Braves of the Six Flowers

So, how long is this going to be? Are they ever going to actually go after the demon king or whatever, or just fight amongst each other?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Cowboy Bebop the Movie (Blu-ray)

Still my favorite anime movie of all time. Every time I watch it I'm still amazed at the attention to detail in every scene and of course the soundtrack is just as amazing. I like watching in English with no subtitles and imho each voice fits their respective character perfectly. Not a bad way to wind down the weekend...

So, how long is this going to be? Are they ever going to actually go after the demon king or whatever, or just fight amongst each other?

It's a 12 episode anime. It's likely to be one of those "did you enjoy the anime? Go read the LN's" type of show. Similar to Spice and Wolf. Which is fucking infuriating because both were so good but I refuse to read LNs as I don't want to read

Hayamato-san slowly tilted his head as he drank the soda. It was extremely refreshing. He then turned to Sakura

"Sakura-san" he cooed, "would you like some?"

Sakura-san began to babble and stutter like a fucking 4 year old "I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-IINDIRECT KISSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?!" she exclaimed

The camera then panned out and an extremely audible "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH?" was made by everybody in the novel.

Cowboy Bebop the Movie (Blu-ray)

Still my favorite anime movie of all time. Every time I watch it I'm still amazed at the attention to detail in every scene and of course the soundtrack is just as amazing. I like watching in English with no subtitles and imho each voice fits their respective character perfectly. Not a bad way to wind down the weekend...

While I'm not sure it's my favorite anime movie, it's my favorite anime series. Dub Bebop best Bebop.

Cornbread78

Everyone is saying that (at this time) they only have plans to adapt to the reveal of who the 7th is. In other words, "thank you for watching the anime, now go buy and read the LN"

Holy shit, lol...

It's a 12 episode anime. It's likely to be one of those "did you enjoy the anime? Go read the LN's" type of show. Similar to Spice and Wolf. Which is fucking infuriating because both were so good but I refuse to read LNs as I don't want to read.

Woofy, probably the first time we agree on something 100%, lol.

Heysoos

It's a 12 episode anime. It's likely to be one of those "did you enjoy the anime? Go read the LN's" type of show. Similar to Spice and Wolf. Which is fucking infuriating because both were so good but I refuse to read LNs as I don't want to read

Hayamato-san slowly tilted his head as he drank the soda. It was extremely refreshing. He then turned to Sakura

"Sakura-san" he cooed, "would you like some?"

Sakura-san began to babble and stutter like a fucking 4 year old "I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-IINDIRECT KISSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?!" she exclaimed

The camera then panned out and an extremely audible "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH?" was made by everybody in the novel.

Everyone is saying that (at this time) they only have plans to adapt to the reveal of who the 7th is. In other words, "thank you for wathing the anime, now go buy and read the LN"

eh. Dropped then.

John Blade

Wow, so it's better to just read them all in order from scratch. Loved the way they created their relationship and how it grew throughout.

Yup, better to read from scratch. I know you can skip some of the volume but it will make the story even more better and will help you once you past the ending of the show and into the new stuff in the novel.

Phatmac

It's tough for me to read a manga/book after watching the anime. Holo just isn't as special in book form since her VA performance makes her so great. Gah I'm gonna cave and just read the books one day.

Cornbread78

Yup, better to read from scratch. I know you can skip some of the volume but it will make the story even more better and will help you once you past the ending of the show and into the new stuff in the novel.

It's tough for me to read a manga/book after watching the anime. Holo just isn't as special in book form since her VA performance makes her so great. Gah I'm gonna cave and just read the books one day.

Yeah, her VA was awesome through the series. I really dislike reading (always have) but I may Crack and read I at some point. This kinda shit pissed me off, since it was a really good story and I'd love to SEE how it ends, ugh.

John Blade

Yeah, her VA was awesome through the series. I really dislike reading (always have) but I may Crack and read I at some point. This kinda shit pissed me off, since it was a really good story and I'd love to SEE how it ends, ugh.

Well...if you don't want to read and need to see the picture, then the manga version is something to look into. Note: the manga is a bit behind the novel but that might be the best way for you if you want to see the visual side of the story.

Phatmac

I'm find with reading but man it's tough to get over all the anime accomplishes. Guess I'll try it someday.

All caught up on Gate now. It's funny how the one show that I dropped thinking it was going to be trash, turned out to be one of my favourites this season after watching all 8 episodes in 2 days.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 18

Oh Snap! I didn't expect
Von Stroheim
to come back! Except I did because his name is in the goddamn title of the episode!!!

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 18

Oh Snap! I didn't expect
Von Stroheim
to come back! Except I did because his name is in the goddamn title of the episode!!!

If the show says what's going to happen in the title of the episode, chances are it doesn't really want it to be a surprise, just saying.

It ends off with volume 5 as volume 6 onwards have not been adapted into an anime. I should mention (again) that volume 4 has also not been adapted into an anime so I'd recommend giving that a read as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom