• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
To anyone who hasn't watched this, you should. Anime of the forever material here.

NO7P85B.png

AOTY will be interesting this year, I don't really see any frontrunners that people will be pushing hard. I know Euphonium, Shokugeki no Soma, JoJo and Prison School will be on my list though

Shirobako managed 4th last year, I wonder if it will go higher this one considering the lack of competition at the top. This year hasn't really had many top tier shows.

Death Parade, Euphonium, Plastic Memories, Soma, SNAFU2, Rokka and maaaaybe Gangsta are my picks for the year so far.

There's still Noragami next season, and other stuff that I need to check out. Gonna start putting a list together to make a choice when the time comes lol.

Garo: The Animation is my anime of the year and so far I'm not seeing anything else that comes close to knocking it off. Unless Garo: Guren no Tsuki which comes out in October is horribad or something.

Koufuku Graffiti and Yuri Bears are the others I know are tops for me.

Squalor

Looking at the list of anime I cared about from this year, only three have come from the pre-Summer seasons.

What an awful year it has been.

Except tien is a chump that wasn't relevant since the first series, while mc of one punch man is like onii sama x 10000

Get out
His bald head looks shinier too. Idk much about the series, but looking at the poster alone I don't think I can take it seriously lol. I'll be right behind you 100% for Noragami, but idk about OPM. I'll give it a shot at least.

Since people have started talking about the fall season's shows, I feel like reposting my opinion on the lineup so people know what they should be paying attention to.

Most interesting shows:

Haikyuu S2 - The second season of the well-produced and engaging volleyball series. It's a conventional sports story, but the strong focus on a team dynamic, which lets each character have a unique place in the ensemble and brings clashing personalities together into effective teamwork, makes it stand out.

Lupin III: Italian Series - It's notable whenever this storied franchise gets a new entry that has more effort put into it than the usual yearly TV specials, and the return to the light-hearted adventure atmosphere that Lupin is traditionally known for should make this more successful than the experimentation gone awry that was the Fujiko Mine TV series. The production looks pleasing, with colorful, vibrant art, and we know an Osamu Kobayashi solo episode is part of the series, which is always an event. Hopefully this can capture the spirit of what made Lupin at its height (Caligostro) so appealing.

Noragami Aragato (S2) - The first season was a big surprise to me, treating this shounen action story with an uncommon amount of thoughtfulness in its visual and aural direction and moments of atmosphere that approached the heights of shows such as Flowers of Evil and Hyouka. I'm especially looking forward to the new season because it will be adapting the Bishamon arc, which is considered by manga readers to be a strong highlight and will be focusing on an interesting character who went underutilized in the first season. Plus more Taku Iwasaki goodness.

Osomatsu-san - This is the show I'm most looking forward to from the fall season. It's a new spin on an old comedy manga from the 1960s, with a strong staff including Youichi Fujita, who proved his comedic directing skills on Gintama, Naoyuki Asano, one of the strongest active character designers with a distinctive voice, and Seiji Tamura, who contributes strikingly beautiful backgrounds to the productions he provides art direction for (including the K-ON series, the Fujiko Mine TV series, and Rolling Girls earlier this year). The visual style looks unique and arresting, and there's a lot of potential boiling here.

Other possibilities:

Concrete Revolutio - The visuals are really colorful and polished, if a bit garish, and the melting pot of superheroes premise has potential. The Seiji Mizushima/Shou Aikawa combination is iffy though - their work on the original Full Metal Alchemist series was excellent but their more recent outings have been less successful.

Fushigi na Somera-chan - I haven't watched Ai Mai Mi, but it is fairly well-regarded so this new series from the same manga author and anime creator is worthy of note. Itsuki Imazaki has brought a level of visual flair which rises above the crowd in all the short anime he's worked on recently.

Garo: Guren no Tsuki - The first Garo anime season was inconsistent, but had some striking highlights. The Heian period setting and female protagonist are noteworthy aspects of this new season.

Kagewani - I haven't seen Yami Shibai, but that horror short series has good impressions so this new "monster suspense" series from the same creator is worth consideration.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Gundam is a franchise littered with mediocrity and Mari Okada's brand of melodrama is problematic at the best of times, but Nagai is a skilled director so... you never know? At least it won't be senile Tomino?

One Punch Man - The manga has such incredible art thanks to Murata that it'll be practically impossible for the anime to live up to it, but Shingo Natsume and a team of high-class animators working on the adaptation make it about as promising as it could be. Hopefully the show will be able to capture some of what makes the manga so beloved.

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru - This adaptation of the light novel "A Corpse is Buried Under Sakurako's Feet" catches my eye mostly due to its premise - a high school student teams up with a beautiful woman in her twenties to investigate various incidents surrounding bones. It could prove to be a more grounded and substantial story than is typical for light novels.

Shin Atashin'chi - Not much is known about this new incarnation of the well-known family comedy, but if experienced comedy director Akitaro Daichi returns to the series it could be successful.

Subete ga F ni Naru - This adaptation of a serial murder mystery novel by the author of Sky Crawlers, featuring character designs by respected manga artist Inio Asano (Solanin, Punpun) has some potential.

Young Black Jack - A spinoff of Osamu Tezuka's classic series about the titular unlicensed genius doctor. There's no way this will live up to the classic OVA treatment of Black Jack by Dezaki but it could prove entertaining in its own right.

Ushio and Tora 09

Interesting episode, youkai actually asking Ushio to kill another Youkai. Tacked on early 90s environmental message with no depth is here as well, but whatever. Seriously there's some real corny as fuck dialogue in here. Not the best episode in that sense, but the two youkai asking for assistance are in the OP so I guess they will be reoccuring

Can't these two fuckers just admit they like each other already

kurahador

That bad? I was actually somewhat interested in it. Is it so bad that it's good? Or is it just bad?

Bad bad. They basically changed everyone for the worse.
-No
mother's death
in the beginning.
-Mikasa isn't Eren's adopted sister, but instead just a friend.
-There's a love triangle between Eren-Mikasa-some new character.
-Levi doesn't exist.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
AOTY will be interesting this year, I don't really see any frontrunners that people will be pushing hard. I know Euphonium, Shokugeki no Soma, JoJo and Prison School will be on my list though

It's just gonna be Shirobako and Soma. I'm basing this entirely on AnimeGAF reaction posting since I personally thought Shirobako was somehow more boring than Straight Outta Compton.

IM@S CG S2 07

Man this is bullshit, splitting up idol groups isn't cool especially when they picked my two favorite characters to show it wi-

oh my god
this is how they get you huh

Jarmel

Banned
Charlotte-6
20101007-pizza-lab-sauce-thumb-625xauto-115414.jpg

I'm internally screaming. Are you fucking shitting me with this? oiajweowaejwadsaklefjaeno;amsd;ma

It's not even the sister dying but the bullshit fucking circumstances that led to it.

Maeda you fucking hack.
This shit came out of nowhere. A boxcutter?
This was the worst possible way I could have imagined them doing this. The absolute worst way. Such goddamn garbage.

phaze

Disgusting exercise in selective quoting !

Don't trust phaze. He wanted me to watch blackjack. Shenshhhhhhei

wut

BlackJack the old anime ? I've never seen it and sure as hell didn't recommend it to anyone. Receipts please. The only reason I know what it is is because Narag mentioned the new iteration of it yesterday. Besides, I Thought Tezuka stuff was supposed to be good !

So far it's probably , Yuri Kuma, Death Parade, Jojo + possibly Yatterman, Shirobako, Snafu 2. This year is so dire that I'll probably manage to stick UBW onto my list. Still need to watch Yuri trumpets at some point I guess.

Charlotte-6
I'm internally screaming. Are you fucking shitting me with this? oiajweowaejwadsaklefjaeno;amsd;ma

It's not even the sister dying but the bullshit fucking circumstances that led to it.

Maeda you fucking hack.
This was the worst possible way I could have imagined them doing this. The absolute worst way. Such goddamn garbage.

I can't wait until you see the next episode.

e_i

Charlotte-6
20101007-pizza-lab-sauce-thumb-625xauto-115414.jpg

Maeda you fucking hack.

Wait until the next episode when
the MC starts stabbing people and almost doing crack.

Squalor

What was so mediocre about it? I am curious.
The main character's ridiculous characterization and the fact that she'd often have two different personalities when responding to events simply for the sake of plot convenience. As such, things fell into lame character clichés all too often.

The pacing was bad, and many of the other characters lacked any kind of, at the least, compelling characterization or development.

Annoying clichés here and bad dialogue there, the show just didn't give me any reason to watch its continuation. At least it was beautiful, though.

I've kind of had enough of anime about middle-school kids.

-No
mother's death
in the beginning.
-Levi doesn't exist.
The movie is an interpretation, so expecting everything to be the same is a poor measure to judge its quality by.

If you had said the writing was bad, the dialogue was laughable, which I expect, that the acting is wooden, which the trailers showed, that it looked awful, which the trailers also showed, then I'd buy that.

Jarmel

Banned
Charlotte 6-
It's like the most bullshit contrived scenario I could possibly think of. The boy friend decides the day that Ayumi gets back is the day he should be super aggresive to the point of being a rapist in the making. Of course nobody spots how fucked up he is prior so he visits her the day before at her house. There's no lead-in into that scene and just comes off as insane but whatever. Then Maeda decides as if that wasn't enough, why not have Ayumi run into the jealous ex-lover. Are you serious with this shit? Wait she's pulling out a boxcutter? What the fuck? I understand the notion of escalation but there's none of that here. Instead people act insane with no proper build up or development at a very convenient time for the plot.

What gets my goat is that none of the above shit writing was needed. They could have just as easily made it a routine accident. In fact it would have made more sense as how would Nao have a 'feeling' that something bad was going to happen? How did Nao suspect that Ayumi would be confronted by a boxcutting psychopath as opposed to Ayumi just not knowing how to control her power?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ushio and Tora Episode 9:

I'll be honest, I actively hated this episode, I can appreciate adding some nuance to the one of the monster of the week deals when it is treated with some fucking grace and this was about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the head. Reminds me why I tend to hate Green Aseops in the first place, especially when they take the easy route to finish things. .

The only real way that OPM will work is if they somehow manage to translate Murata's art in the fight scenes and large-scale detail scenes and keep the humor as close to source as possible. If they, for lack of a better term, "anime it up" and remove or alter the silly stuff like Saitama's less detailed artwork-self it's gonna go tits up real fast. The best part and thing that works about OPM is how the main character contrasts so drastically with the entire setting of the world.

I am keeping a small hope in my chest.

Also maybe this'll push Murata to do more than 5 pages a month.

Defuser

GATE/ STAY NIGHT ep 9
It's always BL that always piques females interest. And I just realize whether Rori's name is a pronounciation pun for loli/lolita.
Itami is friends with a Defencefuture prime minister?Damn, how much can this guy can pull through so much? And Rori pulling that near thousand year old card.

The show does a good job of glorifying nippon awesome l337 skills of taking down dirty US gaijins.

The main character's ridiculous characterization and the fact that she'd often have two different personalities when responding to events simply for the sake of plot convenience. As such, things fell into lame character clichés all too often.

I've kind of had enough of anime about middle-school kids.

Hiyori had two personalities? What are you talking about ridiculous characterization?

I agree that many characters hadnt any compelling development but there is only much you can do with only one season of anime that just adapts the manga first arc.

The second season is all about Bishamonten and her past, as the first season was all about Yukine. Yukine problems were resolved in the first season, so you wont be seeing him being a shitty brat.

Yukine's character arc was pretty terrible and annoying but that was the only part of the show I didn't like. It even had the best BONES ORIGINAL™ ending so far.

-No
mother's death
in the beginning.
-Levi doesn't exist.
Why would they get rid of Levi? Isn't he super popular? This does sound awful

Squalor

Hiyori had two personalities? What are you talking about ridiculous characterization?

I agree that many characters hadnt any compelling development but there is only much you can do with only one season of anime that just adapts the manga first arc.

The second season is all about Bishamonten and her past, as the first season was all about Yukine. Yukine problems were resolved in the first season, so you wont be seeing him being a shitty brat.
The way she reacted to things was as if she had two personalities, yes. The creator didn't write her to have two personalities. It was just poor writing, which led to poor characterization that made her so inconsistent.

It's one thing for characters to have inconsistencies and be flawed and for those things to feel organic. As I said, her behavioral and mood swings were just to serve the plot because it was convenient at the time.

JulianImp

On the topic of AOTY nominees, I ha really high hopes for Gakkou Gurashi at first, but I guess it didn't have much to its name other than the EP1 twist. Rokka was the opposite, since I dropped it early on because it looked bad but I'm really liking how it became a mystery series with the whole seventh brave plot rather than the generic RPG I originally expected.

I prefer shows more focused on character drama than on fun/cool stuff, so while I did like Shirobako and Shokugeki no Souma and I'd probably nominate them, I wouldn't rank them as high. Jojo Part 3 was great for being an anime adaptation of an old manga, and the first time its author began to play around with the concept of stands that gave their users crazy (and often pretty specific) powers that they had to use in creative ways... even though the main cast sans Joseph and Iggy were all about attacking non-stop.

I bet I'll have the latest Monogatari season in there, since it'd have to crash and burn pretty hard to become bad after what we've seen so far. Durarara's looking good with how it juggles its enormous cast, but I'm not sure I'd end up nominating it because its pacing is a bit too slow at times.

The way she reacted to things was as if she had two personalities, yes. The creator didn't write her to have two personalities. It was just poor writing, which led to poor characterization that made her so inconsistent.

It's one thing for characters to have inconsistencies and be flawed and for those things to feel organic. As I said, her behavioral and mood swings were just to serve the plot because it was convenient at the time.

Eh never saw that way and I am having a hard time picturing it. Could you give me a example so I could understand your point?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Ushio and Total 9

This episode reminded me the most of the jojo with the Kars like monster. Monster of the week formula is nice because if they focused on one enemy for 4 episodes, I would lose interest. Reminds me of how much I slogged through jojo part 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom