• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

Any Bakemono no Ko reviews out in the world?

Rokka is proof that sometimes there are these hidden gems every season that you can only find by watching more than just the first episode. Show looked pretty generic at first even though I was interested. By the time I finished episodes 3 and 4 I was all in.
Anyone who knew the premise prior to the first episode knew it wasn't going to be a generic heroes-gather story. I just didn't expect there to be this much focus on character and mood and tension. The show has turned out absolutely great so far.

And Adlet is the fucking man.

Every time I see Ping Pong I'm stunned at how hideous it looks to me. I simply cannot stand that style.

Honestly, I sort of agree. That style just doesn't really appeal to me on any level.

HOWEVER.

That doesn't mean the show is bad in any way. I still plan on watching it sometime. I'm sure the writing, characters, and story are all fantastic, and that it fully deserves the AOTY 2014 vote.

Just because character designs may not be appealing to someone doesn't automatically make them or the show they're a part of bad.

People who don't like the Madoka character designs can still admit that the show itself is fantastic.

Bottom line: Don't judge a book by its cover.

Ascheroth

Honestly, I sort of agree. That style just doesn't really appeal to me on any level.

HOWEVER.

That doesn't mean the show is bad in any way. I still plan on watching it sometime. I'm sure the writing, characters, and story are all fantastic, and that it fully deserves the AOTY 2014 vote.

Just because character designs may not be appealing to someone doesn't automatically make them or the show they're a part of bad.

People who don't like the Madoka character designs can still admit that the show itself is fantastic.

That reminds me: nintendoman, have you seen Knights of Sidonia? Since it's a mech show and all.

That reminds me: nintendoman, have you seen Knights of Sidonia? Since it's a mech show and all.

No, because I haven't heard many good things about it.

That and I also heard that it has CG mecha. Now, I know I just said don't judge books by their cover, but if I had to make one exception for that, it would be CG mecha.

90% of CG mecha shows are honestly not very good. The only one that I really enjoyed was Gargantia. But other than that, 3D mecha in 2D shows really don't work that well on a visual level and they're often really messy.

I learned that lesson with Aquarion EVOL. >_<

JulianImp

It's a comedy 4koma, if you are expecting plot developments you will get none. The show manages to keep coming up with new and fun scenarios despite the characters being rather one note.

Yeah, it looks like an okay show to watch every now and then.

If you're watching in it on Crunchyroll, don't start with episode 0 but with episode 1. The former will spoil a lot of things from the first half of the show. Watch it after you finish the series or after episode 6/7.

Okay, that makes sense... Too bad I already watched EP0 first because it was the first episode there. At least from what I saw in EP0 it looked like a surreal action show, which's nice. Will probably watch a couple more episodes later.

HOWEVER.

The animegaf number 1 anime of the year awards has Panty and Stocking as part of its group no matter how many people in this thread want to discount it. It also curiously has Yamato 2199 as well...

Thusly animegaf's opinion on the top anime of the year rings hallow to me. I know better than to actually believe those lists.

Squalor

Knights of Sidonia was beautiful. The 60-FPS versions are unreal. There are so many effects and particles and moving parts with intricate details.

The writing was strong, too.

When it first started, I was expecting an Attack on Titan in space, and in ways (action and scale) it definitely delivered upon that, but Sidonia was so much smarter.

Squalor

Ah shit, meant to edit and accidentally posted.
The animegaf number 1 anime of the year awards has Panty and Stocking as part of its group no matter how many people in this thread want to discount it. It also curiously has Yamato 2199 as well...
&#3232;_&#3232;

Ascheroth

That and I also heard that it has CG mecha. Now, I know I just said don't judge books by their cover, but if I had to make one exception for that, it would be CG mecha.

90% of CG mecha shows are honestly not very good. The only one that I really enjoyed was Gargantia. But other than that, 3D mecha in 2D shows really don't work that well on a visual level and they're often really messy.

That's a shame, because I think Sidonia is a great show, that gets a lot of hate simply because it's full CG and not traditional 2D. And imo, the CG is actually really good and captures the style and atmosphere extremely well.
I agree that 2D + 3D mechs generelly doesn't work out, hell 2D + 3D anything doesn't generally work out (case in point, Rokkas CG fiends).
But I'm going to defend Sidonia to the death, lol. It has a ton of amazing mech-action, an interesting story and setting, amazing sound design and general Nihei crazyness.
I think you're honestly missing out if you don't give it a try.
Maybe this can convince you to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq3Km1wUye8

phaze

The thing is that once you open a book, you don't have to look at its cover.

You have to look at Ping Pong.

But there is no Ping Pong in Ping Pong.

At least, there is too little.

I don't remember seeing you post Aldnoah impressions. You should totally watch that. Based Urobuchi + F/Z director. As fan of Madoka you owe it to yourself to give first three episodes a try.
picturen6p3j.png

Squalor

You misunderstood. The word is in italics for a reason. I'm not referring to ping pong.
That's a shame, because I think Sidonia is a great show, that gets a lot of hate simply because it's full CG and not traditional 2D. And imo, the CG is actually really good and captures the style and atmosphere extremely well.
I agree that 2D + 3D mechs generelly doesn't work out, hell 2D + 3D anything doesn't generally work out (case in point, Rokkas CG fiends).
But I'm going to defend Sidonia to the death, lol. It has a ton of amazing mech-action, an interesting story and setting, amazing sound design and general Nihei crazyness.
I think you're honestly missing out if you don't give it a try.
Maybe this can convince you to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq3Km1wUye8
See my post above about the show.

I don't remember seeing you post Aldnoah impressions. You should totally watch that. Based Urobuchi + F/Z director. As fan of Madoka you owe it to yourself to give first three episodes a try.
picturen6p3j.png

I didn't watch AZ because apparently it really lost its mind after the first three episodes. And not in good way.

Maybe I'll watch the first three episodes just to see Urobuchi's work, but eh...I don't want to risk being tempted to check out the whole series and losing my mind.

JulianImp

hell 2D + 3D anything doesn't generally work out (case in point, Rokkas CG fiends).

I think the problem with the fiends is that they stick out too much. Maybe a different shader or textures/lighting that didn't contrast so much with the 2D imagery would've made them more palateable, but then there's always the problem of living creatures being considerably harder to animate in a way that feels right compared to mechanical constructs.

I get that it's a very good way to spend less time and money on some elements, but using cheap-ish CGI for the enemies the cast will be fighting on and off all the time after this arc could get tiring really fast. I was very glad to hear from you guys that the focus of the show shifted to a mystery arc (complete with closed circle), since I hated the show's weird 2D heroes vs 3D fiends action sequences.

Russ T

Banned
My problem with Sidonia is not with the CG mechs, but with the CG people.

I was initially excited about the anime, because I love the manga, but once I saw the first preview, I knew I was never going to enjoy the anime.

What I'm saying is just read the manga.

Squalor

I appreciate how detailed and stark the fiends in Rokka are. They're atypical. I suppose people want the same-looking bad guys over and over again.
I didn't watch AZ because apparently it really lost its mind after the first three episodes. And not in good way.

Maybe I'll watch the first three episodes just to see Urobuchi's work, but eh...I don't want to risk being tempted to check out the whole series and losing my mind.
Aldnoah.Zero was a fucking trainwreck that I couldn't take my eyes away from.

It turned out so damn badly.

Ascheroth

My problem with Sidonia is not with the CG mechs, but with the CG people.

I was initially excited about the anime, because I love the manga, but once I saw the first preview, I knew I was never going to enjoy the anime.

What I'm saying is just read the manga.

Yeah, they take 1 or 2 episodes to get used to, but personally I didn't really mind them that much.

I appreciate how detailed and stark the fiends in Rokka are. They're atypical. I suppose people want the same-looking bad guys over and over again.

Aldnoah.Zero was a fucking trainwreck that I couldn't take my eyes away from.

It turned out so damn badly.

I think I've written my thoughts about Rokkas CG fiends a few times already, but whatever: It's not a problem with the designs or the models. I like how unusual they are designed. I think the models are fairly high-quality and detailed. They just clash so extremely hard with the 2D stuff, that it's impossible to not notice that they feel somewhat out of place. Basically this:
I think the problem with the fiends is that they stick out too much. Maybe a different shader or textures/lighting that didn't contrast so much with the 2D imagery would've made them more palateable, but then there's always the problem of living creatures being considerably harder to animate in a way that feels right compared to mechanical constructs.

I get that it's a very good way to spend less time and money on some elements, but using cheap-ish CGI for the enemies the cast will be fighting on and off all the time after this arc could get tiring really fast. I was very glad to hear from you guys that the focus of the show shifted to a mystery arc (complete with closed circle), since I hated the show's weird 2D heroes vs 3D fiends action sequences.

Ah, nearly forgot: do youself a favor and not waste your time with Aldnoah.Zero.

e_i

School Live episode 8

Oh, that part of the manga is coming...but first a pointless beach episode. Unless the preview is massive troll.

I was in from the start because it's directed by Takeo Takahashi, who did Spice & Wolf and Maoyuu, two anime I ended up really enjoying despite initially being hesitant. (Especially Spice & Wolf.)

But yeah for sure it only gets truly good a few episodes in. First episode sets it up as something it's never going to be. Which is fine by me, because as much as I loved that first fight, the fiends are horrific.

Rokka being compared with Maoyu? Maoyu was bad, the difference in quality is because the Rokka writer seems to be really competent and actually knowledgable about what makes a story gripping and good, not wasteful and meandering with pointless discussion about things no one cares about.

JulianImp

Ah, nearly forgot: do youself a favor and not waste your time with Aldnoah.Zero.

I wasn't planning on doing that, but I guess I'll try to remember not to.

Just watched EP4 of Rokka and am currently watching the fifth. This is almost like my sea kittens, only with no hand-holding truth! It's way better than watching an European/Japanese-style RPG party fight crappy CGI fiends in a mesoamerican setting, so I appreciate the sudden shift in tone.

Ascheroth

I wasn't planning on doing that, but I guess I'll try to remember not to.

Just watched EP4 of Rokka and am currently watching the fifth. This is almost like my sea kittens, only with no hand-holding truth! It's way better than watching an European/Japanese-style RPG party fight crappy CGI fiends in a mesoamerican setting, so I appreciate the sudden shift in tone.

It was actually meant for nintendoman, but I'd say the same to everyone else anyway.

Yep, I'm so glad Rokka went down the direction it did. I'm probably going to check out the LNs after the first season finishes.

This years Scotland Loves Anime line ups have been announced. Kind of mildly irritated about how much Attack in Titan has been (honestly probably wisely) scheduled given my personal distaste for the franchise, but I guess that's probably the first announced EU screening for Love Live?

Jealous about Miss Hokusai and Empire of Corpses. Glad to see Empire of Corpses is 102 minutes; with how the Project Itoh films are being released, I wasn't sure if they would be feature-length or not.

It's a bit of a gyp that they're showing TV recap movies, but whatever.

Okay, that makes sense... Too bad I already watched EP0 first because it was the first episode there. At least from what I saw in EP0 it looked like a surreal action show, which's nice. Will probably watch a couple more episodes later.

Kyousougiga Episode 0 is actually the original concept ONA from 2011, which I didn't particularly like. The 2013 TV show is an elaboration on that world and characters and does a much better job of presenting a coherent, if strange and fantastic, setting.

Thusly animegaf's opinion on the top anime of the year rings hallow to me. I know better than to actually believe those lists.

Not sure what you're trying to imply about Yamato 2199, but if you don't like that series, then yeah, you'd better not pay attention to the consensus awards since your taste is too fringe to be reflected there.

Definitely not. There's plenty of ping pong matches played in the series, and they're presented in an exciting and engaging manner. I'm glad that it's not like a typical sports series where the characters do absolutely nothing but play the sport - that can be enjoyable with the right execution, but it's always something of a confined world in that case. Ping Pong is able to flesh out its characters to a greater extent and have richer thematic resonance by taking the approach it does.

Russ T

Banned
Rokka being compared with Maoyu? Maoyu was bad, the difference in quality is because the Rokka writer seems to be really competent and actually knowledgable about what makes a story gripping and good, not wasteful and meandering with pointless discussion about things no one cares about.

Well I liked it, so it wasn't bad!

Mr.Jeff

This years Scotland Loves Anime line ups have been announced. Kind of mildly irritated about how much Attack in Titan has been (honestly probably wisely) scheduled given my personal distaste for the franchise, but I guess that's probably the first announced EU screening for Love Live?

Was kinda hoping for a Boy and The Beast showing but I guess not.

That said, nothing really jumps out at me and screams must watch. It's either Love Live or Attack on Titan popularity stuff or things with giant question marks over them like The Case of Alice and Hana, Empire of Corpses and Miss Hokusai.

Oh well, saying me money I guess.

Phatmac

Hope that something drastic happens as we've been in a bit of a lull these past couple of weeks. We learned a lot of background info that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm a big fan of leaving lore untold instead of telling us what caused an apocalypse since the answer is usually bad or unneeded. Other than that the true OTP of this series has finally been revealed!

Moaradin

Anyone who knew the premise prior to the first episode knew it wasn't going to be a generic heroes-gather story. I just didn't expect there to be this much focus on character and mood and tension. The show has turned out absolutely great so far.

And Adlet is the fucking man.

I had no idea. I basically went in expecting Seven Deadly Sins part 2, and I would probably be fine with that if it ended up that way. Glad that it surprised me though. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do.

That said, nothing really jumps out at me and screams must watch. It's either Love Live or Attack on Titan popularity stuff or things with giant question marks over them like The Case of Alice and Hana, Empire of Corpses and Miss Hokusai.

Oh well, saying me money I guess.

I don't know why Miss Hokusai has a giant question mark over it; it's from Keiichi Hara, an excellent director who has a strong record in film, and it's treating an interesting subject with what look to be strong production values. It seems to have gotten a good reception from the bits I've heard about the Japanese release. Since early impressions from The Boy and The Beast are that it's Hosoda's weakest film to date, I'd wager that Miss Hokusai will turn out to be the better film. Empire of Corpses will probably be better too.

Also, you can watch The Case of Alice and Hana right now if you're curious, since the BD is already out. First credited appearance of Mitsuo Iso since Dennou Coil!

Mr.Jeff

I don't know why Miss Hokusai has a giant question mark over it; it's from Keiichi Hara, an excellent director who has a strong record in film, and it's treating an interesting subject with what look to be strong production values. It seems to have gotten a good reception from the bits I've heard about the Japanese release. Since early impressions from The Boy and The Beast are that it's Hosoda's weakest film to date, I'd wager that Miss Hokusai will turn out to be the better film. Empire of Corpses will probably be better too.

Also, you can watch The Case of Alice and Hana right now if you're curious, since the BD is already out. First credited appearance of Mitsuo Iso since Dennou Coil!
Ah hosanna, I can always rely on you to steer me right. (Which reminds me I need to get round to Jewelpet one of these days)

The reason those 3 had question marks over them was because I knew absolutely zilch about them. Granted I'm hardly one to have my finger on the pulse of such things in the first place but normally I try and stay aware of things.

Will probably wander over and catch those 3 films then since I have the opportunity.

sonicmj1

picturen6p3j.png
I can't decide which of these posts is worse.

Ah hosanna, I can always rely on you to steer me right. (Which reminds me I need to get round to Jewelpet one of these days)

The reason those 3 had question marks over them was because I knew absolutely zilch about them. Granted I'm hardly one to have my finger on the pulse of such things in the first place but normally I try and stay aware of things.

Will probably wander over and catch those 3 films then since I have the opportunity.

No problem. I follow this sort of news more closely than most people, so I don't blame you for not being aware of these films. But really, if you had the chance to see something like Miss Hokusai in theaters and passed it up, I'd never be able to forgive you! NYICFF has allowed me to see some interesting anime films, but it won't be bringing over anything that's not kid-friendly (they were even hesitant about Giovanni's Island), so there's some stuff that I'll never get to see on the big screen.

(And yes, get around to Jewelpet when you can! Kira Deco is totally worth putting up with the crappy English subs, and now that Sunshine is actively being translated, that mystical season will finally be available for us to experience.)

AOTY will be interesting this year, I don't really see any frontrunners that people will be pushing hard. I know Euphonium, Shokugeki no Soma, JoJo and Prison School will be on my list though

AOTY will be interesting this year, I don't really see any frontrunners that people will be pushing hard. I know Euphonium, Shokugeki no Soma, JoJo and Prison School will be on my list though
True. I'll actually have to go back to the lists of what I watch and decide from quite a few that I liked. This year wasn't mind blowing but it was good all around.

DiGiKerot

I'm kind of wondering if the London Film Festival has leapt on that one - I know SLA had problems a couple of years back with Wolf Children because, as they wanted to premiere it at LFF, they could only show it at Edinburgh (not Glasgow) because it was after the London screening. The LFF schedule is due for release on Tuesday, so it'll be interesting to see if it turns up there...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Euphonium, G-Tekketsu, Prison School, Jojo,
Arararararachnera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom