• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baalzebup

Which still implies the same thing as the edit.

At first, my thought was "Oh, wow, it's an otaku who isn't a pussy. This is kind of an interesting twist."

Then, in quick retrospect, I realized they gave this guy super combat abilities without any explanation as to why, so it made no sense, and I decided I didn't like that.

His combat abilities are explained very well later on. He is 33 years old, after all, and serving in the JSDF. Dude has had some training.

Squalor

I figure that will probably be answered at some point.
I'm guessing it's the name of a character we haven't seen yet. Or maybe a codename for something else.
Yeah, those are some of my guesses, but there's no way I'm sticking around after that pilot, so I just wanted someone who had read the manga to tell me.

Hell, I even searched the series's dedicated wiki, but there was nothing.
His combat abilities are explained very well later on. He is 33 years old, after all, and serving in the JSDF. Dude has had some training.
As I mentioned in a subsequent post, the anime didn't even state that he was already in the service until after he had been promoted. It was just sloppy storytelling.

Twitter rumors have it that the new Gundam will be directed by Goro Taniguchi (Code Geass) and written by Hiroyuki Yoshino (Code Geass, Guilty Crown). Could be... interesting?

cajunator

Banned
The End is Nigh. The End begins in October.

(Owarimonogatari TV series begins in October)

It's not the last story nor is the one following it.

More Monogatari is a great thing!
Although I wonder at this point just how much further the series can go.

Any excuse to post this.

By all means please keep finding excuses to post it!

The more I watch To Love Ru, the more it just doesn't make sense. I just finished ep.19 ( Hell's Hot Springs) and there had been no plotline at all still. No character developement, (maybe a little for Haruna) and no movement anywhere. I mean, it is just plain ecchi and fun so far, but where is this giant harem, lol? Also, at times, they try to make things feel serious in regards to Rikki's relationship with Haruna, but that's nothing in the grand scheme of things.. Dammit, I need more than T&A with fun, lol.

Err...TLRU isnt designed to make sense ;)
Its designed for...another purpose

It's too bad that's the only thing good about it. Well, other than BROWN GIRL, that is.

Wasn't there someone here who was a big Captain Earth fan? I think there was. Might have been duckroll. Can't remember.

All hail goddess Hana! I wish that she were gifted a better show to be a part of but beggars cant be choosers.

Mandelbo

Yeah, those are some of my guesses, but there's no way I'm sticking around after that pilot, so I just wanted someone who had read the manga to tell me.

Hell, I even searched the series's dedicated wiki, but there was nothing.

Well, it's an anime original, so no one knows anything yet. I'm surprised it has a dedicated wiki when there's barely any information about it.

Squalor

Well, it's an anime original, so no one knows anything yet. I'm surprised it has a dedicated wiki when there's barely any information about it.
Oh, I thought there was source material.

I remember people were so hyped about it prior to airing that I just presumed there was source material. Huh.

Well, I suppose I'll never know.

Twitter rumors have it that the new Gundam will be directed by Goro Taniguchi (Code Geass) and written by Hiroyuki Yoshino (Code Geass, Guilty Crown). Could be... interesting?

That could be potentially amazing since the best Gundam in the 10 years before GBF was Code Geass

But I never saw Guilty Crown, I know the reputation it has writing-wise. Will still probably be better then some other Gundam shows!

Oh, I thought there was source material.

I remember people were so hyped about it prior to airing that I just presumed there was source material. Huh.

Well, I suppose I'll never know.

People were hyped because of the writer and because they liked his previous works.

Squalor

People were hyped because of the writer and because they liked his previous works.
cGJAACQ.gif

Overlord - 01

I'll be honest, I love this for the simple fact that the main character is a skeleton. Without the skeleton bias, I do think it was alright.
I don't really fancy the "no john you are the game" aspect, but I'll keep watching this for skeleton and hoping he'll be a total asshole to everyone.

Monster Musume - 1
I'm surprised by how boring and ugly of an adaptation this is. Expected better from the Muromi-san/Yatterman crew. Will wait for the webms on sakugabooru I guess.

It's not like anything Tomino would put out would be any good!

I'm sure anything he put out would have bizarre direction, poor storyboarding and heavy handed writing. I'm also relatively sure that I would still find tremendous enjoyment from it in spite of that. Maybe no one else would, since you need to really be a special kind of crazy to enjoy it, but I would.

Whereas Yoshino is pretty much a complete hack.

Phatmac

Easily the prettiest show of the season. It gives of the perfect fairy tale vibe combined with an amazing soundtrack so far. It's refreshing to see a smart and independent girl as the protagonist. It's pretty cliched as a romance story but it was strengthened by the characters. Solid start overall so I'll keep watching. Good job BONES.

cajunator

Banned
Space Dandy bought Bones a few years of good will for me.

Show By rock renewed my complete faith in Bones!

Angel's Egg

Angel's Egg is very atypical, and probably not a movie for everyone. It features very little dialogue, from the opening scene and about 23 minutes more not a single word is spoken, for example. I actually think it would have been more effective with no dialogue outside of that first word and the girl's cry near the ending. Long, long scenes with little to no sound or music. Sometimes a scene will have music and no sound, or sound and no music. If it does, most of the music is angelic humming. The shots commonly dwell on one thing for long periods, in fact, pretty much every shot is like that. You know that scene in Evangelion episode 24? The famous one with Kaworu in 01's grip as Ode to Joy plays? Like that, a lot of that. One scene in particular around the 51 minute mark has the man leaning against the bed with the girl on it. The scene lasts nearly two and a half minutes and the only change is the girl moves once and at the end the fire goes and the girl moves again. The movie is dark in color, making good use of blues and silhouettes, and looks somewhat Giger inspired at times. The main character, an unnamed girl with white hair, often appears out of the darkness and shadows. Nothing is really clear about what it is actually about. No one is named. It's unclear where this is. It's unclear when it is. What is clear is the influence from Christian mythos, obvious in the name of the film alone. I can make my guesses about the men throwing harpoons at the shadows of fish, the ark-like object that is shown in some shots and the nature of the eggs but that's all secondary to this, I feel. With all these things said, Angel's Egg is probably known the most for one thing - it is exceptionally beautiful and masterfully crafted. And I mean beautiful, there is not a single frame in the movie that looks anything less then stellar. It's hard to pick distinct images because like I said - the entire thing looks good. This is like, 1/6th the screencaps I took.

I should probably watch Patlabor at some point, and Oshii's other works. I watched the first two Ghost in the Shell movies, but that was years ago. I love Jin-Roh, but he didn't direct that, only wrote and scripted it.

I really enjoy this movie for some reason. Its abstract and oddly captivating. but really, Angel is moe~ as fuck.

Not really into figures but these Yui / Yukino figures are pretty dope

5FTdq2D.jpg

More: http://imgur.com/a/tiLAE

I need these and I dont even know why.
Guess I will watch episode 4 today and continue the path.

ALRIGHT

time to start the season, what am I watching?

Monster Musume!

Mr.Jeff

Overlord - 01I don't really fancy the "no john you are the game" aspect, but I'll keep watching this for skeleton and hoping he'll be a total asshole to everyone.
You probably won't get the asshole element but he does act like character he's supposed to which is pretty fun.

Overlord - 01
Great OP and ED. Wonder if that's So-bin's artwork in the ED. Judging by the OP, it'll hit beyond volume 4.
Pretty good adaptation although it feels a touch too fast especially with the arena.

That aside, it looks pretty terrible. The CG is obnoxious especially in the fight at the start and even the regular animation leaves a lot to be desired. Character details are all so sketchy and even the later battle was one close range shot before cutting to long distance shots and speedlines on still images.

As I thought, Madhouse probably chucked more money at Ushio and Tora.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Wow. This is the most excited I've been for a Gundam series... since forever basically. Will be entertaining irrespective of its quality which is honestly better than the general boredom that is Gundam lately.

You probably won't get the asshole element but he does act like character he's supposed to which is pretty fun.

Overlord - 01
Great OP and ED. Wonder if that's So-bin's artwork in the ED. Judging by the OP, it'll hit beyond volume 4.
Pretty good adaptation although it feels a touch too fast especially with the arena.

That aside, it looks pretty terrible. The CG is obnoxious especially in the fight at the start and even the regular animation leaves a lot to be desired. Character details are all so sketchy and even the later battle was one close range shot before cutting to long distance shots and speedlines on still images.

As I thought, Madhouse probably chucked more money at Ushio and Tora.

Ushio and Tora is MAPPA

Monster Musume 01

CJVbr_SVAAAACtT.png:large

Woah, informative

The OP is ok. It makes the girls look like a Super Sentai team and they do a Spirit Bomb of love energy and Rachnee is in it. Wait, nevermind. It's actually great. ED is also about a Super Sentai team but where do these harem series keep finding beds that big?

Monster Musume is a sad tale about a man known only as Darling-Husband-Honey-Beloved who is constantly suffering from attempted murder from monster girls and then getting cockblocked by Agent Smith from the Matrix, who has nice legs.

The censorship isn't mist/steam/pink lights/mosaics/blurs so props to that.

You already know if you like this before you watched it. Let's be real here. You are also probably watching it for Rachnera, if so, high-five me

You consider the problems with Code Geass's character and plot developments just "a few bumps"?

In comparison to Guilty Crown...

I still enjoyed it for the ride. As sudden and dumb as the plot twists and character changes could get, it delivered one of the few endings I truly enjoy in its genre.

Monster Musume 01

The OP is ok. It makes the girls look like a Super Sentai team and they do a Spirit Bomb of love energy and Rachnee is in it. Wait, nevermind. It's actually great. ED is also about a Super Sentai team but where do these harem series keep finding beds that big?

Monster Musume is a sad tale about a man known only as Darling-Husband-Honey-Beloved who is constantly suffering from attempted murder from monster girls and then getting cockblocked by Agent Smith from the Matrix, who has nice legs.

The censorship isn't mist/steam/pink lights/mosaics/blurs so props to that.

You already know if you like this before you watched it. Let's be real here. You are also probably watching it for Rachnera, if so, high-five me

I'm watching it for Zombina first and then Rachnera.

That's the fatal mistake you've made sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom