• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!

I thought I'd just pop by here and ask if anyone can give me some good anime recommendations.

I'm an absolute novice when it comes to anime. I only watched DBZ to completion in my younger years. I watched the Persona 4 Animation series last year because of how much I enjoyed Persona 4 Golden. Recently I've watched Toradora! and Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches due to a friend's suggestion. Enjoyed both and now I'm looking for more. They don't have to be romance related at all, it was just the taste of my friend. I'd also like it to be relatively new as I don't think I can deal with blurry anime unless it's DBZ haha.

Check out the links in the second post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170542205&postcount=2

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Hey everyone!

I thought I'd just pop by here and ask if anyone can give me some good anime recommendations.

I'm an absolute novice when it comes to anime. I only watched DBZ to completion in my younger years. I watched the Persona 4 Animation series last year because of how much I enjoyed Persona 4 Golden. Recently I've watched Toradora! and Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches due to a friend's suggestion. Enjoyed both and now I'm looking for more. They don't have to be romance related at all, it was just the taste of my friend. I'd also like it to be relatively new as I don't think I can deal with blurry anime unless it's DBZ haha.

"blurry"

plz

newer anime are more likely to have horrible upscales than stuff from the 80's

Monster girls are the new ship girls, except at least thirty times better. Sorry Ein.

New? MGQ was popular years before Kancolle. Also tons of 80s/90s OVA and D&D manuals and bestiaries. Yeah a lot of those were demons but they almost count

And since early JRPG's just used D&D manuals on the basis and you had shit like Tiamat in Final Fantasy 1, monster girls helped invent JRPG's!

Hey everyone!

Any more specifics on your tastes and preferences? Also do you have any preferences on series length? For instance, One Piece is my favorite series (Manga is way better than the anime though), but it's hard to recommend because it's 700 episodes long and ongoing, and even skipping filler there are still probably over 600 episodes (I don't remember the exact amount of filler eps lol). Other fantastic series like Gintama are also pretty long

Sore ga Seiyuu! - 01

Granted I haven't seen Shirobako yet, but I guess this is similar in which it follows the production process. Only this focuses on voice acting and features more.. moe?
It was kinda interesting with the information dump throughout by the doll on how stuff works, and I'm going to assume it's accurate. ED was pretty nice, got surprised by the sudden Angel Thesis!
GVkFLRy.jpg
lOCzKP1.jpg

jgminto

Overlord Episode 1
Best trapped in a game world since my favorite SAO.
I didn't know this, now I don't have to watch it.
i'm serious. There is a couple scenes that are loaded with fanservice but outside of those few scenes there isn't much. thus I wouldn't consider it loaded with fanservise. loaded with fanservice I would save for shows like queens blade or sekirei or Ikkitousen or countless other shows that either the girls are getting their clothes ripped apart by battle or focuses solely on getting boob jiggles and panty shots.
no game no life doesn't remotely get near those in terms of fanservice.
NGNL opens with a shot of an 11 year old's panties.
new gundamu not tomino? orz

It might have a chance at being good then.

phaze

Hey everyone!

Things on Crunchyroll worth checking out:

Fate/Zero Seven mages summon historical heroes and battle among themselves for the Holy Grail.
iq60xiodukubvlkb46.gif

Mononoke
tumblr_msmujlgnv71qfbeajcb.gif

Kyousougiga
tumblr_nk57x9CzcE1s8eeeeo1_500.gif

Gankutsuo
gurren-lagann

Madoka Magica
Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas - Unfinished story, gotta read manga for the definitive ending.

Comedy / Romance things:
Love Lab
Little Witch Academy
5cm

Slow things:
House of Five Leaves
Flowers of Evil - Unfinished story, gotta read manga for the definitive ending.

Fate/Zero, if you can stomach the premise, should be a good thing to start as it's pretty edible for non-casual anime watchers. It gets really, really great in the second half but the first one is nothing to scoff at either.

Skii

Thanks, I'll take a look!

"blurry"

plz

newer anime are more likely to have horrible upscales than stuff from the 80's

DB and DBZ look like absolute shit compared to the newer animes. That's what I'm personally referencing. I still don't understand how an 80s anime will be as crisp and clear as one from 2015 personally.

Any more specifics on your tastes and preferences? Also do you have any preferences on series length? For instance, One Piece is my favorite series (Manga is way better than the anime though), but it's hard to recommend because it's 700 episodes long and ongoing, and even skipping filler there are still probably over 600 episodes (I don't remember the exact amount of filler eps lol). Other fantastic series like Gintama are also pretty long

No real specifics in terms of genre. I just want one with a really good story and interesting characters. I do enjoy a good twist as well (reason why I love 999 & VLR so much :p). Don't mind fan service at all :D

But yeah, definitely don't want anything long at all. I was just catching up on DBZ again before I watch Revenge of Freiza and watching just the first couple of sagas was far too time consuming. I'd prefer an anime that's short with no more than 3-4 seasons :)

DB and DBZ look like absolute shit compared to the newer animes. That's what I'm personally referencing. I still don't understand how an 80s anime will be as crisp and clear as one from 2015 personally.

Lol, that's the first time I've heard that sentiment from someone getting into anime, usually it's the opposite.

I don't really understand though. I just watched Angel's Egg (a movie, though) yesterday from 1985 and it still looks amazing.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Hey everyone!

watch ping pong

JCG

Twitter rumors have it that the new Gundam will be directed by Goro Taniguchi (Code Geass) and written by Hiroyuki Yoshino (Code Geass, Guilty Crown). Could be... interesting?

Aside from the fact rumors are worth absolutely nothing without any evidence...the idea sounds interesting, if only because I've enjoyed every single show Goro Taniguchi has directed.

(And yes, that includes Maria the Virgin Witch. Limited by the original manga's concept, but better than it had any right to be. )

He has range and doesn't repeat himself once a project is done, so anyone assuming the guy would want to make a copy of Code Geass is being quite...ignorant, to say the least. Some of his co-workers have been less imaginative, but I think the man has proven he isn't going to just blindly parrot the same number. It's too bad this is probably nothing more than a rumor though.

Hiroyuki Yoshino would be more worrying, but not exactly for the reasons implied. He did almost no work on Code Geass (like three episodes) yet wrote over half of of Guilty Crown, which was pure crap. Plus a lot of throwaway harem shows or series with creepy fanservice. At the same time, Yoshino also worked on Macross Frontier (both the TV series and the movies) as well as Sora no Woto, so the guy can occasionally not suck.

Go_Ly_Dow

Is this Monster show some wannabe bullshit Shokugeki no Soma? Cos thats the true anime filth of the year. fuck the posers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Monmusu was published first so NEENER NEENER
song_siren.gif

Go_Ly_Dow

also i only found out that charlotte was a KEY show after watching episode 1.

i'm sure many others aren't aware of this either.

like dead ghost girl lambs to the slaughter :(

Monster Musume 1

4269831uss8y.jpg

ALL GLORY TO THE MONO-EYE. Manako is the light and the truth.

The initial haremites in this series are largely terrible and I'll probably end up skimming much of everything outside of the few MON parts. Unless the story veers off from the manga in some dramatic style, ideally by having Miia killed and turned into a designer handbag.

Taruranto

Atelier Shirayuki #1

He means your virginity, you silly girl.

This was actually pretty good. Alas, these kind of shoujo tend to go downhill pretty quickly, between personality-less heroines, boringly perfectly male love interests and MISUNDERSTANDING. We'll see.

Skii

I don't think some of the links are working but thanks for all this! Will definitely check them out, especially Fate/Zero

Lol, that's the first time I've heard that sentiment from someone getting into anime, usually it's the opposite.

I don't really understand though. I just watched Angel's Egg (a movie, though) yesterday from 1985 and it still looks amazing.

I'm mainly talking about clarity and clearness of image as well as good animation. I appreciate the older animes had a more unique art style a lot of the times and the newer animes just all seem extremely similar (art style wise). But I just finished watching Yamada-kun today and it looked absolutely great. Can't believe anyone would seriously compare Dragon Ball to it for example.

Watch Madoka then.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

Thanks, I'll take a look!

No real specifics in terms of genre. I just want one with a really good story and interesting characters. I do enjoy a good twist as well (reason why I love 999 & VLR so much :p). Don't mind fan service at all :D

But yeah, definitely don't want anything long at all. I was just catching up on DBZ again before I watch Revenge of Freiza and watching just the first couple of sagas was far too time consuming. I'd prefer an anime that's short with no more than 3-4 seasons :)

Two recommendations off the top of my head are G Gundam and Gundam Build Fighters. G Gundam is just amazing, even if it's a bit old, and Build Fighters is way better than any show so blatantly created to sell merchandise has any right to be

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I don't think some of the links are working but thanks for all this! Will definitely check them out, especially Fate/Zero

I'm mainly talking about clarity and clearness of image as well as good animation. I appreciate the older animes had a more unique art style a lot of the times and the newer animes just all seem extremely similar (art style wise). But I just finished watching Yamada-kun today and it looked absolutely great. Can't believe anyone would seriously compare Dragon Ball to it for example.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

.........time to stop watching 240p youtube rips of DBZ?

phaze

Will check and fix the links when i get on pc again. If the crunchy page shows up with no episodes then that just means the series is not available in your region.

Skii

.........time to stop watching 240p youtube rips of DBZ?

I'm talking about how I remembered it from when I watched it as a kid during the late 1990s to early 2000s. I always loved it but it never looked "great" and the animation was sometimes off (this is something I noticed now though). Didn't they have to make Kai partly because the older DBZ wasn't holding up to the test of time?

Anyway, if you was to suggest an older anime, how would I watch it in 720p+ without actually purchasing a blueray of the series? I'm only a newbie to anime and I'm not going to drop actual money on it (yet). It'd always have to be something on crunchy roll or through other means.

Arcadius

Banned
Hanayamata

Anime of ∞.

Ha -na
Na -ru
Ya -ya
Ma -chi
Ta -mi

These are the 5 girls that make up Hanayamata and this anime is simply amazing. When I was acting a little silly a week ago, Cajun and I were talking when he linked me the OP for this song in it's full glory and I fell in love so hard; I listened to it nonstop for at least 5 hours. I was captivated by the song and going into the anime, I had no idea what I was in store for.

The main girls of Hanayamata are Hana and Naru, though the other three are also mains without a doubt, it's because of Hana and Naru that Hanayamata is what it is. It's a great story about fitting in, about doing something that you want to do because you just want to have fun, not doing things that you're forced into or that you're burdened with. The way it's told really reminds me of myself. Like Naru, I always had/have difficulties fitting in, I'm shy and quiet and it's hard for me to just break out (it's why I say silly things sometimes). I didn't expect a story like this at all and it really touched me; made me very emotional, even though Hanayamata is probably an anime most wouldn't shed a tear for. It's very uplifting, very happy and the struggles that the girls are presented with feel so real.

Naru isn't the only one with these fitting in issues. Hana, our exceptionally pretty and beautiful blonde girl of the show; the one who really sets in motion of getting the yosakoi group together, has had the unfortunate trouble of trying her absolute best to even find people interested in yosakoi, always putting on a brave face and just going for it. Tami, the refined and very wealthy girl has always been faced with trying to please her father, to be the princess she thinks he wants her to be. Yaya also has trouble dealing with the problems of being accepted, she's like "a lone wolf, but is really just lonely" (Not my words, the great Naru said that, the whole scene was absolutely brilliant). Machi has issues dealing with her older sister and the "troubled" past that she was involved with.

The issues feel real and sure, most of them could honestly be anime clichés that everyone has seen a hundred times over, but the way it was presented to me, just really touched me.

Now the issues aren't even important to the story, not really. The entire plot of Hanayamata is to get enough girls interested in yosakoi to then form a club and finally enter a festival that's three months away and perform a dance. We start with Hana and Naru, then Yaya joins, followed by Tami and lastly Machi. I haven't spoken about her yet, but the last important person to Hanayamata is Sari-sensei (Machi's older sister, also sounds like her name is Sally). Without Sari-sensei, Hanayamata would have stopped at a stand still. She's a very pretty young lady who really puts faith into the 5 girls and when everything comes together, it all just works so well.

The story is simple, the issues the girls face aren't important, but the combination of it all works so well, I mean, it really just works. It's also incredible how during the first "festival" the girls entered, it didn't go to plan at all, it shows this realistic view that just because you practice and try your best, you may not nail down the performance for when it comes time to show your stuff; heck this can be an anime cliché too, but again, it just works and makes sense.

The art style used in Hanayamata is gorgeous, incredibly pretty; the type of art that makes people happy and even squeeful by the sight of it. The animation is good too, but I can't say that it's without flaws. I normally don't have much to say about animation quality because I don't know if what I'm looking at is bad or good, due to how I view the anime, but there were a few flaws in how characters were drawn in certain scenes and some of the environment detail too; I won't say it's a detriment to Hanayamata though, it looks so good and with the art style used, it's not a big enough deal for me to knock it down, just an observation. I will say though, the first episode is one of the prettiest in all of anime that I have ever seen, the Sakura petals flying all over the place, the quick dance with Hana and Naru, the way it's all shown is just fantastic. The show itself is also incredibly pretty and once again, red blemishes on the girls to exude this innocent and "pure" feeling, I love that so much.

I also don't normally comment on cinematography, but in Hanayamata, it was really well done; I know in anime you can draw whatever you want to showcase feelings and it's easy to drive a point home, but all the cuts to showcase the emotions the girls were feeling, so well done. The shots of legs/feet showing reserve at times or the withered flowers followed by cuts to the girls themselves, there was a clear cut reason for just about every scene shown in Hanayamata, not a single frame wasted and for that, huge props to the guys that did that, it was amazing.

Sound/Music..... Well as you know, I fell in love with the OP and really that's how I felt about the music in Hanayamata. Throughout the episodes there was great BGM, but what made it so good was the use of the OP in an instrumental variation. Certain scenes would play out like they should and bam, you can hear that amazing OP in the background, really giving weight to what's happening on the screen. I'm purposefully linking the full version of the OP, give it a listen to. It's quite honestly OP of ∞ for me (I'm most definitely hyping this song to hell and back, but I love it). I've been focusing on the OP on purpose too, it's not like the ED is bad, because it's not, it's actually quite good, but nothing like the brilliance of the OP. The rest of the soundtrack is good, but "ahhhhhh"...... that's how I felt everytime I heard the OP come on during an episode.

The yosakoi dance. It takes all 12 episodes before we're shown the dance in it's all glory and my goodness is it worth it. We literally watch a group of girls who know next to nothing about yosakoi start with just the naruko (Clappers), then the recruitment of other girls, followed by creating costumes and training; constant practice to get the choreography down perfectly. When Tami works on the music for their dance, and when we realize that it's the OP that they're performing, tears shed. When we see the girls get recruited and see how the girls all face their issues, tears shed. When we see the dance in it's entirety, especially with how it happened, tears shed. This show is not sad, it's not dramatic, it's not even something to have tears fall for, but my goodness did I love it.

I'm overhyping this show to the moon, but I can't help it (Take the gifs I made for Kiniro Mosaic (another AOTF) and transplant them all over this one, so good). We need more seasons, we need more dancing, we need more music and costumes. I absolutely love it and it could be considered average by everyone in the world, I won't let that stop me from enjoying this at all, ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ~~~~~~~~~ Honestly. (We also need more seasons of a lot of things I've watched lately......)

Monster Girls - Episode 1

Ecchi, lewd, so good, it could make a great hentai for sure. Miia is super hot and the orgasm at the beginning, amazing. The protag, or darling for all I know, is a really kind guy, but man it would be so hard to not give in... Lamia being cold blooded is really hot, gives many reasons to cuddle and get close to.

Art style is really really good, I love how it looks like, stunning design. OP and ED are really good, love the Love Bomb the OP has, ED sounds bad ass.

Really nice that the censoring isn't that bad, makes it worth watching.

Can't wait to see Papi and Suu, <3.

Bikini Warriors - Episode 1

4 minutes of pure lewdness, thank you very much. Not really a fan of the huge breasts, but I will enjoy this one anyways, the lewd was fantastic. The moaning was really good too. Mage <3

Sora ga Seiyuu! - Episode 1 (Seiyuu's life)

Ichinose is super cute and the way she talks to her doll is amazing, gifs could be made from how she interacts with the doll! Ichigo is sooooo adorable, *squeeeee*, love her already! Rin is adorable too and it's funny to see the youngest girl have the most experience, that's really funny; all the girls are really really extra cute! I love how it's a show about just being a voice actor/actress/seiyuu, it's really interesting and if this is anything like how it is actually done, that's cool.

The art style is mega cute, the sounds are okay too, not enough to judge really. The seiyuu though, are fantastic. It's interesting to see a show about new seiyuu working the job, but the seiyuu performing are actually really good, the whole thing is just a lot of fun.

One of the best OP's ever too, it's so much fun I love it, same with the ED. This is an anime to watch if you want some laughs and are looking for extra cute things.

A great Slice of Life this season. After the lewd and ecchi, my heart is now purified, but only just a little!

also i only found out that charlotte was a KEY show after watching episode 1.

i'm sure many others aren't aware of this either.

like dead ghost girl lambs to the slaughter :(

I knew before, it's why I'm watching it!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm talking about how I remembered it from when I watched it as a kid during the late 1990s to early 2000s. I always loved it but it never looked "great" and the animation was sometimes off (this is something I noticed now though). Didn't they have to make Kai partly because the older DBZ wasn't holding up to the test of time?

Anyway, if you was to suggest an older anime, how would I watch it in 720p+ without actually purchasing a blueray of the series? I'm only a newbie to anime and I'm not going to drop actual money on it (yet). It'd always have to be something on crunchy roll or through other means.

you brought up the blurriness of older anime that i don't think is true, considering how awful the early digital era was (and still is, considering pretty much everything released today is still just an upscale, compared to older shows that were shot on film)

but, here's a bunch of newer anime that I think are well worth watching.
Ping Pong
Hyouka
Flowers of Evil

Mature

Hey everyone!

Check out Cowboy Bebop. How you view or the resolution you view it in makes no difference!

edit: come to my house and we'll watch the BDs together

Tuck

Overlord - 1
Nope, not happening. Fuck this show.

First half was basically one overly long inner monologue, but I was willing to give it a chance cause I like the trapped-in-an-mmo theme.

Then the MC decides he has to touch this girls boobs and she just goes fucking wild cause she loves it so much. I stopped there.

Dropped.

Skii

Will check and fix the links when i get on pc again. If the crunchy page shows up with no episodes then that just means the series is not available in your region.

Ah, that's why. Oh well, guess I'll have to use a proxy. Will never get tired of Japan hating on Europe :/

you randomly brought up the blurriness of older anime, i disagreed.

anyways newer anime that are good, since you be so prejudiced:
Ping Pong
Hyouka
Flowers of Evil

Well, older animes will definitely be more blurry unless they are remastered in HD to match the newer animes that are created in HD. Is that agreeable?

You can suggest older animes if you want but I'm just saying that it will be difficult for me to find a decent quality version of it to watch :)

Check out Cowboy Bebop. How you view or the resolution you view it in makes no difference!

Yeah, I've heard this one is really good actually. Will definitely add it to the list!

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Hey everyone!

Go watch Nozaki-kun and The Skull Man!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You guys are taking the short view. No one would be willing to back a Centaur's Worries adaptation unless Monmusu proves monster girls are finally a ripe market first.

Isn't the manga really niche though or am I mistaken?

Yeah and it's also super fucking weird, but that's why it's great.

And I don't mean weird in the ecchi way, I mean it's weird in the way it randomly shifts to being about aliens or the snake Illuminati from Antarctica

It's gotten to the point where when I get a new chapter and it's just the MC and her little sister being cute I'm disappointed there was no time travel shit

John Blade

Almost done watching emma a victorian romance. Very sad right now and punch the emotional stuff near the end which hit you even more. Will post an input once I am done watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom