• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

The more images I see of the Monster Girls generic protag, the more I think every single harem protagonist looks exactly the same. lol

Most of the time, the first episode makes a point of leaving his eyes as empty white circles to really sell that generic look.

Mandelbo

New arrival!
eYHDHhM.jpg
Excited to see what the OVA's like. By the looks of it there's a new character that's been made into a weapon like Chise? I guess it'll probably just focus on how someone else deals with what their body's become. Given the series as a whole and how significant another "ultimate weapon" would be, I suppose this'll take place in some sort of alternate universe, or something.

There's a brief tease in the OP that shows events from volume 4;
a shot of Cocytus versus the lizards.
What ? really ? i guess i need to watch this opening 3 mores times in order to find more clues.

But seriously, isn't it 13 eps ? seeing 4 vol of content adapted in this manner kinda pisses me of.

Pleeeease don't rush this anime i beg you kadokawa !

EDIT : yeah , saw it ..i was kinda taken back by how awesome they made the servant of nazrick look that my attention was on something else.
Bikini warriors seems like the most boring concept and Im not sure how long they could sustain it.
The seiyuu show looks fairly interesting though.

Already boring by episode 1.

Jarmel

Banned
Shokugeki no Soma-14
GT5ILSu.jpg

OGnmPvk.jpg

Erina getting blown the fuck out was too satisfying.
This is the first time that Soma's actually in serious trouble and both the show and the source material (manga) did a fantastic job with this scene. I thought it was fairly clever that Soma was in hot water due to his background, something that he takes pride in and he uses to his advantage to trump pretty much everybody else. Working at a diner afforded him vast amounts of experience and flexibility but also due to this, he didn't think of buffets as being any different. He was being limited by his own mentality and so had to shock himself out of it. It's a smart way to show his limitations in that he isn't perfect but also affords him an opportunity to dig himself out. I was expecting Soma to come up with a new recipe but the way he gets out of the jam is much more satisfying as it takes advantage of his already well established skills and doesn't make him out to be a super-genius that can think his way out of any situation.
The direction was again on point this episode in not only portraying the stress level Soma was under, through his literal sweat but things like the onscreen timer ticking down. The character animators also drew Soma in a much more serious fashion so as to demonstrate that he was taking this seriously and was pretty close to being screwed. I thought this final challenge was a good way of re-affirming to Soma himself that he enjoys the challenge of being at the school and so his monologue at the end has more impact because he has changed from being apathetic to now pushing himself to the very edge.

I've read some complaints on ANN that some viewers think the pacing is too slow and I strongly disagree. Every episode in this bootcamp arc has brought something new to the table and taken the time to delve into events without lingering too much. The only complaint I have in this arc is that I didn't like how the unoffcial Shokugeki was split up going from episode to episode. I think it would have worked a bit better as an hour long episode but obviously that's not possible. The pacing overall though has been absolutely spot on.

This might actually end up being better than Gundam Build Fighters because there's no Build Knuckle.

Gbraga

Watched Sore ga Seiyuu, eeeeh, it was ok. It's a very packed season, so I don't think I'll be watching this one. The doll narrator thing was quite interesting though, best part of the episode.

Also watched Shokugeki no Soma 5, and man, what a disappointment. I only started watching this so I could hear Mikuni's voice, and it wasn't really what I expected D:

It seems to be looking less low budget though, not sure if that makes any sense, so I'll keep watching it. I did stop reading the manga after a while, so it shouldn't take too long for the anime to catch up to where I stopped.

Plastic Memories is
7qDEsUV.png
, does it get any better? The first episode was kinda good, I guess.

EDIT: I should watch this Snow White thingie.

fertygo

This might actually end up being better than Gundam Build Fighters because there's no Build Knuckle.

This kinda weird statement. how cooking contest show that literally you only know who the winner by they told you is better process than Hisatsu?

At least with Build Knuckle (Hisatsu example in this case) you know enemy lose by got punch'd, in cooking show-off you know the process of winning just because you got told they winning.. if you ask me that's even less coherent than all-solving move in more physical based contest show.

This kinda weird statement. how cooking contest show that literally you only know who the winner by they told you is better process than Hisatsu?

At least with Build Knuckle (Hisatsu example in this case) you know enemy lose by got punch'd, in cooking show-off you know the process of winning just because you got told they winning.. if you ask me that's even less coherent than all-solving move in more physical based contest show.
There's always an explanation as to why someone won. And I think the problem people had with build knuckle is that it was one trick that beat literally everything

Mandelbo

Plastic Memories is
7qDEsUV.png

Yes, it does get better, especially in the second half of the show. It was one of my favourites from last season - just don't go in expecting lots of development on what Giftia do in society, how they work, etc, because that's not what the show's about.

At least Soma isn't full of cheating nonsense that removes the tension and stakes from fights and turns much of what happens into an anti-climax.
Yeah, I'm still a bit bitter about the poor writing in the 2nd half of GBF. It was like watching a really poorly booked wrestling promotion.

Plastic Memories is
7qDEsUV.png

After the first episode it's just mediocre until the last 3/4 episodes. As long as you can stomach the middle half I'd suggest to keep watching because the ending is super sweet and emotional.

Gbraga

Yes, it does get better, especially in the second half of the show. It was one of my favourites from last season - just don't go in expecting lots of development on what Giftia do in society, how they work, etc, because that's not what the show's about.

I was expecting more of the first episode, or perhaps focusing more on one of the known giftias getting close to being deactivated, but instead it became closer to a slice of life with a robot or whatever.

Good to know it gets more interesting, I'll stick with it.

After the first episode it's just mediocre until the last 3/4 episodes. As long as you can stomach the middle half I'd suggest to keep watching it because the ending is super sweet and emotional.

Will do!

Much to my disappointment. :(

Bikini Warriors 01

I suppose this'll give someone's dick a rise. And its just the right running time for them to take care of it as well.

Bikini Warriors 01

I suppose this'll give someone's dick a rise. And its just the right running time for them to take care of it as well.

I'm sensing a trend between this and Okusama ga Seitokaichou ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm not complaining

I was expecting more of the first episode, or perhaps focusing more on one of the known giftias getting close to being deactivated, but instead it became closer to a slice of life with a robot or whatever.

Good to know it gets more interesting, I'll stick with it.

I wouldn't really say "more interesting" but yeah, the robot slice of life goes away later on.

Jarmel

Banned
FTFY.

But yeah, I pretty much agree with you on all points. This show has just been a blast to watch for me.

That's not saying much, you can trip over dog shit and still surpass GBF Try.

Well they do occasionally try to explain why a chef lost, obviously within the limitation that it's a TV show and you can't directly experience the food. That's part of the reason why the foodgasms are so important now is that they help to visualize the taste.

Build Knuckle though almost became a deus ex machina in how bad it was used and spammed. Yes yes G Gundam homage but it also got tiresome as fuck at times in G Gundam too.

Dennou Coil

mesmerized

I'll do a proper writeup later on. Damn why have I heard so little of it. I mean I probably saw it mentioned here and there but certainly not close to the recognition it deserves. I think I have to thank Haly for picking it up as he lamented the lack of BD sales for it and, after his neat Hyouka writeup and thus guaranteed decent taste, I figured it would be worth a go.

Gbraga

Dennou Coil

mesmerized

I'll do a proper writeup later on. Damn why have I heard so little of it. I mean I probably saw it mentioned here and there but certainly not close to the recognition it deserves. I think I have to thank Haly for picking it up as he lamented the lack of BD sales for it and, after his neat Hyouka writeup and thus guaranteed decent taste, I figured it would be worth a go.

I started watching it a while back and just lost interest after 3 or so episodes, but every time I see people praising it, I feel like I should give it another try, from the first episode, maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

It looks great, that's already something.

Jarmel

Banned
Charlotte-1
I hate Angel Beats more than pretty much anyone so I went into this with a strong sense of apprehension. However I found this to be one of the strongest first episodes this season. The main character being a shitheel is surprisingly refreshing in that most of this episode was a race to see how far he can go before hitting rock bottom. The way the show also is able to play this for laughs by having people or animals poke at his unconscious body is a clever way to downplay how scummy some of his actions are and keep the mood from becoming too heavy.
I also liked how the show didn't go overboard in making the MC look like a villain by having the 2nd half focus on his relationship with his sister. It works to give him a human element, in that he might be a scumbag but he still loves his sister.
The production values were better than I expected. There were some good sequences on a storyboarding level like the main character walking in and out of the frame to show symbolically how he didn't linger and thus didn't care about the results. There was good lighting in a number of scenes and the focus on facial reaction shots helped to solidify the 'smugness' of the main character.

Monster Musume-1
The tears show she's satisfied.

Chaos Dragon-1
Insultingly bad on almost every level. First let me start off with the character designs, many of the characters just seem like a mishmash of totally different shows thrown together along with a bunch of 'normal' characters. It would be like having Nomura designs mixed along with Senran Kagura designs and Bioware NPC designs in the background. There's very little feeling that this is an actual location and not a clusterfuck of whatever. The prince has one of the most idiotic design I've ever seen and it stands out that he's wearing his formal(?) clothes all of the time. They couldn't give him a normal set of clothes while he's in hiding/trying to lay low?

Then we have the writing in which exposition is just dumped out because fuck trying to fit it in there organically. There wasn't even a pretext sometimes for some of the info dumps while others are so damn clumsy that I started laughing. One of the generals doesn't know what they're carrying so their boss has to 'remind' them.

On top of that, we got the edge. How do you know a character's a bad person? When you see her slowly stroke a boy with the implication she's a pedophile. And just in case you didn't get the earlier hint, we'll have her threaten the lead character who is a kid because he's carrying a decorative (probably not but that's what he claims) sword in public. The other bad man is going to casually kill a slave for tripping so of course he's a bad individual. How do you know a situation is bad? Why it's easy, all you have to do is kill a mother and leave the infant abandoned.
I mentioned edge right? This is like the edgiest edge I can possibly think of and this whole scene fell flat because the audience has no attachment to any of the characters and instead I'm just wondering was this Urobuchi's designed character because this is so damn edgy.

I haven't even gotten around to the awful production values like the low frame rate in the intro, the CGI dragon that should be used for the Fate route adaptation, the still frames for the action sequences on the first episode, the crappy action sequences even between the main characters. There was one good fighting sequence near the very end, too bad there were three to four bad ones prior to that.

Shimoneta-1
I liked this a lot more than I expected. I went in guessing that it was going to be similar to Seitokai Yakuindomo but I found this much funnier and interesting conceptually. I had no clue this was going to be scifi and so I feel like the setting helps to integrate the sex jokes better into the framework of the show. It feels like a Puritan version of 1984.

Not to mention stuff like the fly sex scene and the subsequent reactions actually felt creative in their design. Who would have associated Godzilla's atomic breath with an orgasm?

Classroom Crisis-1
lN3lYyV.jpg

The reaction faces were pretty nice.
I was let down with this mainly because of the production values. Cheap. Cheap was the only word going through my mind as I watched this episode in that the lighting and character models look bad. Pretty much no part of this episode looks good.
At times the character designs can look good but that's not very often. While I'm glad there are 2D mechs, it's clear the show doesn't have the budget to really animate the mechs into anything high quality.
7SxhmV5.jpg

I will now forever associate this with Shirobako.
I had some issues with the direction for example overlaying the hostage sequence with the girl traveling to school didn't work for me and it seemed to undercut both scenes. The setting is probably the most enjoyable aspect of the production so far in that we don't get many planetary scifi shows nowadays and the show delving into asteroid mining strikes is pretty cool.
I was going to complain about the numbers the characters were throwing out for rocket boosters in that where does this school get the money for $800 million ship parts but the show does bring that up in the end and it seems to be a driving force in the narrative going forward. I mean blowing $15 billion to deliver $7 million doesn't make sense on any level.

Dennou Coil

mesmerized

I think Dennou Coil gets as much mention as you would expect from a high quality show that unfortunately did not become a hit because it both had no hook for committed anime fans and failed to find the mainstream audience it was aiming for. It's very well regarded and well known among sakuga aficionados at least.

I started watching it a while back and just lost interest after 3 or so episodes, but every time I see people praising it, I feel like I should give it another try, from the first episode, maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

It looks great, that's already something.

Dennou Coil doesn't just look great, it's the best-produced TV anime that's ever been made. As to be expected with a fastidious animator such as Mitsuo Iso at the helm.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dennou Coil would get a lot more mentions if Iso got off his ass and did stuff to get his name out there.

But he's a broken man, his spirit crushed by an apathetic audience.

Jarmel

Banned
Dennou Coil would get a lot more mentions if Iso got off his ass and did stuff to get his name out there.

But he's a broken man, his spirit crushed by an apathetic audience.

Speaking of Iso, I got some info about him during AX. Nothing major but overheard someone ask one of the panelists who personally knows Iso.

He got ate by the 3D beast.

My thoughts exactly. Clasroom Crisis is the perfect example of a show that's a 5/10.

There is nothing offensively bad about it but the whole first episode was just meh.
I'm just waiting to see how big of a role that new character has. This show could be pretty great if we see the story through his point of view. If all he is, is a "villain" then I don't know. I'm waiting to see more, but I agree. The show isn't anything outstanding.

Gbraga

Alright, you guys got me excited for it.

Damn, I can't even handle what I'm currently watching. I need to find some more time.

Dennou Coil

mesmerized

Yeah, we liked it when it was released, but it has been largely forgotten since then.

Looking back, it was a bit weird series, in one hand it was a juvenile story (not in a pejorative way, but in the literal meaning) about some kids and their little adventure that grows with time, but on the other hand it handled their sci-fi "gimmick", AR in this case, in in one of the most involving, complex and convoluted ways I've seen. I basically can't imagine young people following the plot without problems. So, too young for some audiences, too adult for others.

Speaking of Iso, I got some info about him during AX. Nothing major but overheard someone ask one of the panelists who personally knows Iso.

He got ate by the 3D beast.

Yes, Shinji Iwai's rotoscoped CG film The Case of Hana and Alice is the first production Iso has been officially credited on since Dennou Coil.

cajunator

Banned
This weeks Blu-ray and DVD releases in the US for 07/07/15.
Blu-ray

DVD

I wonder if Yakitate japan will ever get a bluray release?
Are the odds low? because I will settle for dvds if I have to.

MONSTER MUSUME ep.1
Well, that was actually better than I expected for a first episode. The MC has some balls, I guess, and I'm glad she didn't break "it" off, lol. The show also has some comedy mixed in with the fun; I mean, that condom scene in the love motel was pretty funny. What is going to be tough is that mith most harem animes, this is just going to be one massive blue ball series for our MC because of the stupid
"interspecies laws"
Looks like Smith will be trying to get hers though, lol.

Yeah it will be like that the whole time. Always kind of bothers me that these shows do that to the MC. Its really cruel.

That pic of Alice. I cant handle how cute that is.

monmusu sucess will lead to dr hitomi & centaurs worries, a just means

For once I agree with you on something!

Gatchaman Crowds Ep 1
Love the art syle, love the soundtrack, love how the story's been laid out, loved all the quick character intros, loved Hajime. I think I'm going to love this anime.

If you love HAjime, you will loooooove this series. IT all hinges on how you tolerate her genkiness.

The Sentai Select art looks way better than Funimation SAVE releases.

Yeah they do, although thats a low bar.

I forgot I need to take a final Cowboy Bebop x KLK pic for you now that I have all the volumes.

I got your back BEAR

Gbraga

What I feel like I need some more of is good animes about music, in general.

Is Kids on the Slope good?

Considering Hibike! Euphonium is already more than good enough to me, I guess, since standards vary.

Considering Hibike! Euphonium is already more than good enough to me, I guess, since standards vary.

Kids on the Slope is great. I can't recommend it enough. It's a fantastic viewing experience.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Really ? Satoshi's lines always felt about as subtle as throwing a brick through the library window. "Hey this is our protagonist, this how he feels, this is his motto and modus operandi. Oh the episode is ending ? Quick Oreki, let me quickly explain why the actions you undertook today signify the break from your usual character and the start of your arc (which we have already spoiled in the opening but no matter.)

that is to say, it's in line with Satoshi's character throughout the show. The opening conversation about the "rose colored life" is pushing it, yes, but considering it's the first day of school and Oreki is being pressured by his sister, it not that much a stretch for Oreki to be complaining to Satoshi and Satoshi to be poking fun at Oreki's blindness of his own qualities.

And yes, teasing your friend when he gets noticeably flustered after meeting a new girl seems well within the realm of possibility :^)

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Most people would probably say yes, but I think it's a bad adaptation that is poorly paced (which I guess was confirmed when I found out it was like 8 volumes of the books crammed into 11 episodes).

Cornbread78

Actually, I am ep.1
tumblr_nr4ys27TQR1r2k180o1_500.gif

I hadn't noticed any media or impressions of this one here, but it popped up on my Crunchy updates as a RomCom, so I checked it out. I must say the first episode was pretty interesting, the premise is unique and this has potential to be pretty fun.. The vampire chick is cute, but a striking resemblance to Fino, but with Green hair, lol. I saw this is a manga adaptation, does anyone know how the Manga is? I'm sure they are just adapting this to promote it an dI'm gong to end up pissed off this cut the anime short with now ending... Ugghh...

Ushio and Tora ep. 1
tumblr_nr18isfKya1s024xzo1_500.gif

This one could be interesting. I'm not that interested in the whole fighting /battle "shonen" anime, but I'll give this one a shot as the first episode was pretty entertaining between the monster interaction above and what a kick below:
tumblr_nqzqpceeVv1qlp4x9o1_500.gif

Gbraga

Kids on the Slope is great. I can't recommend it enough. It's a fantastic viewing experience.

Alright, I'll track it down. Thanks.

Most people would probably say yes, but I think it's a bad adaptation that is poorly paced (which I guess was confirmed when I found out it was like 8 volumes of the books crammed into 11 episodes).

Hmm, while this does concern me, I feel like the short number of episodes makes me more likely to watch it now, even if it ends up making it worse.

RIN-NE Episode 14 – It's Not a Date!
CJZT7UgWIAA3eO1.jpg
CJZVAKOUkAAjGBY.jpg

Tsubasa is the best character. And also his voice, it really makes him funny. Rokudou as well since he is just forever going to be causing Mamiya Sakura misunderstanding.

One of the best episodes.

New OP song is really annoying to hear because of the singers voice :(

Oh, he's officially credited on the film? I thought it would be like Giovanni's Island.

Iso is in the film's credits.

About Giovanni's Island, despite the rumors that went around we have no substantiated evidence that Iso actually worked on the film, unlike his work on Welcome to the Space Show where we know he used a pen name.

fertygo

Well they do occasionally try to explain why a chef lost, obviously within the limitation that it's a TV show and you can't directly experience the food. That's part of the reason why the foodgasms are so important now is that they help to visualize the taste.

Build Knuckle though almost became a deus ex machina in how bad it was used and spammed. Yes yes G Gundam homage but it also got tiresome as fuck at times in G Gundam too.

This post also more about you dislike the other method than explaining what made other method better than other, like your last line in previous post underlining.

Soma might've afterall better show than GBF, but its no way for me the tie-breaker is how both show dealing with how the winner decided. both method just as flawed to me and hell I think even based by similar concept But both show always ignoring to put foreshadowing at both technical or psychological aspect that displayed in the contest. They equally simple and furthermore because not trying to do so.

Not necessarily wrong technical decision tho, because both show already proven fun as heck.

phaze

Dennou Coil

mesmerized

Sounds promising. This and Haribane Renmei are pretty much the last things to cross out from my backlog list.
[

Shimoneta-1

I liked this a lot more than I expected. I went in guessing that it was going to be similar to Seitokai Yakuindomo but I found this much funnier and interesting conceptually. I had no clue this was going to be scifi and so I feel like the setting helps to integrate the sex jokes better into the framework of the show. It feels like a Puritan version of 1984.

Not to mention stuff like the fly sex scene and the subsequent reactions actually felt creative in their design. Who would have associated Godzilla's atomic breath with an orgasm?

Yeah, it was surprising fun. Dunno if the humor and execution will hold up in the long run but I enjoyed that first episode quite a bit. Despite or maybe because of how silly and insane it was.
That was very much in line with his characterization though.and his behavior towards Oreki who's somewhat lethargic and needs to be talked to like that if you want a non-awkward conversation going on.

That said, I don't quite remember how on the nose it is in episode 1, a rewatch is for me in order anyways. But Shinsekai Yori first...and then I'm currently finishing up another excellent show I heard rather little about previously.

that is to say, it's in line with Satoshi's character throughout the show. The opening conversation about the "rose colored life" is pushing it, yes, but considering it's the first day of school and Oreki is being pressured by his sister, it not that much a stretch for Oreki to be complaining to Satoshi and Satoshi to be poking fun at Oreki's blindness of his own qualities.

And yes, teasing your friend when he gets noticeably flustered after meeting a new girl seems well within the realm of possibility :^)

Yes Satoshi remains an "Oreki's feelings transcript machine" for the rest of the show :^) Though not as egregious fortunately.

I'd have to rewatch Hyouka again to engage in this conversation on the proper level of detail, since it has been some since I watched it, but the first episode always struck me as a bad case of "tell don't show". IIRC Oreki himself did quite a bit of that too.

--------
The designs and colour palette for actually I'm" look really weird and are a distinct stepdown from the manga. Dropped the latter after a dozen chapters, will give the anime a chance when it catches up to that point.

Jarmel

Banned
Iso is in the film's credits.

About Giovanni's Island, despite the rumors that went around we have no substantiated evidence that Iso actually worked on the film, unlike his work on Welcome to the Space Show where we know he used a pen name.

Got it confirmed at AX. He worked on it.

Edit: I'll detail it in my AX convention report.

Puruzi

Banned
Actually, I am ep.1
tumblr_nr4ys27TQR1r2k180o1_500.gif

I hadn't noticed any media or impressions of this one here, but it popped up on my Crunchy updates as a RomCom, so I checked it out. I must say the first episode was pretty interesting, the premise is unique and this has potential to be pretty fun.. The vampire chick is cute, but a striking resemblance to Fino, but with Green hair, lol. I saw this is a manga adaptation, does anyone know how the Manga is? I'm sure they are just adapting this to promote it an dI'm gong to end up pissed off this cut the anime short with now ending... Ugghh...

The manga isn't finished so don't expect the anime to have any type of ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom