• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

But at least some of it's in English, right? ; )

eY1MYC9l.jpg

"Thank you very much for everything you did to me".

zulux21

Has there ever been another season to an anime that has had to wait years to get enough source material? I can only think of ones that never got another season, like spice and wolf and no game no life.

Edit: Though there is a Chaos;head sequel coming in winter, but there have been a few shows with the semicolon in it, so I dunno if that was waiting for source material, or just trickling down works from that author, like the monogatari series.

because no one else mentioned it no game no life has more anime coming, a movie that is an adaption of the 6th book (the series covered books 1-3)

after the movie it's possible that books 4-5 will be adapted into a season (book 6 is apparently a prequel)

Berserk Episode 9
download.png

Eh, not really.

Everything about this series can be described as one step forward, two steps back. While the pacing was actually okay at points in this episode, the action has only gotten worse over the series. Where exactly characters are in relation to one another is still vague and confusing. Guts moves in such a awkward stilted manner, nothing he does has any impact. (I will say his VA sounds less bored.) Some of the music and humor in the episode was nicely integrated, but the episode never comes together to form an enjoyable whole.

Gvitor

Daiya no Ace 01-04

Hinata from Haikyuu must be the exception, because he's the only MC I immediately liked in a sports anime. I may learn to like Sawamura with time, though, but right now he's just doing everything wrong.

Despite him, I'm enjoying this. I don't care a bit for baseball, but then again, I don't for tennis and I liked Baby Steps.

The friends who sold me on this told me it's a show about the team, and in the first two episodes I can already see that. His old team may not be the main team, and I don't know the names of any of those characters from his hometown, but damn that was a nice scene, Sawamura leaving the town and all.

Let's see where this goes.

...and yes, I skipped Chihayafuru again. One day I'll go back to it and give it another chance, but whenever I think about that "sport", I just give up on the idea.

Gundam X 3-4

Jamil is a cool guy, simple motives but hey it works in my book.

Gundam villains looking evil and bishi AND have Telepathy, OP. Also damn people are so easy trap in gundam shows lol.

The Virsago is playing no games.

Daiya no Ace 01-04

Hinata from Haikyuu must be the exception, because he's the only MC I immediately liked in a sports anime. I may learn to like Sawamura with time, though, but right now he's just doing everything wrong.

Despite him, I'm enjoying this. I don't care a bit for baseball, but then again, I don't for tennis and I liked Baby Steps.

The friends who sold me on this told me it's a show about the team, and in the first two episodes I can already see that. His old team may not be the main team, and I don't know the names of any of those characters from his hometown, but damn that was a nice scene, Sawamura leaving the town and all.

Let's see where this goes.

...and yes, I skipped Chihayafuru again. One day I'll go back to it and give it another chance, but whenever I think about that "sport", I just give up on the idea.

Are you going to be team Furuya?!

Smile Precure - 39

So this episode was about the girls getting sent to the "original" Cinderella book, which is apparently connected to every Cinderella story in the world, and they have to recreate the story of Cinderella before the villains give it a bad ending, otherwise every other Cinderella story in the world will have the same bad ending.

Sounds simple right? Well you'd think, except guess who plays the role of the prince?

This would've been somewhat inconsequential had Pop not made the hilarious statement at the end of the episode, where he hopes people won't notice the "small changes" made to the story of Cinderella.

YEAH POP. PEOPLE SURE WON'T NOTICE THESE SMALL CHANGES MADE TO THE STORY OF CINDERELLA. I HOPE YOU'RE PREPARED FOR THE HEADLINES AND ONLINE BACKLASH.

And since there needs to be the mandatory Akanbe fight, we get to see Miyuki as Cinderella fire a freaking Spirit Bomb.

So that was amazing.

Cornbread78

ReZero ep.22
What just happened??? Are you serious with that crap? That was not a twist I saw coming, but it actually angers me if
Ram and Roswal are actually in on killing Emilia with the Witches Cult.
This show is definately going to end with a "read the LN" teaser, isn't it... uugghh

ReZero ep.22
What just happened??? Are you serious with that crap? That was not a twist I saw coming, but it actually angers me if
This show is definately going to end with a "read the LN" teaser, isn't it... uugghh

did you ever have any doubts this wasn't going to end with a non-ending where you have to read the source to continue the story?

Cornbread78

did you ever have any doubts this wasn't going to end with a non-ending where you have to read the source to continue the story?

No doubt, I was just hoping they would give us a decent stopping point, but I'm having a hard time seeing it, lol. I'm calling a cliff hager ending for maximum pain and suffering to fit the theme of the show.

I held off since I watched episode 3 because I couldn't deal with Dark Souls week to week. Do I need to continue?

Do you HAVE to. Probably not. Truth is the show is pretty cool and seems to have stirred up the community for better or worse. Heck not too long ago the show basically spawned an essay from someone explaining why they didn't enjoy it. If you don't see the value in that, then by all means dont.

But if you are asking, that means that you have taken notice and are curious. So I'd go ahead and say, judge the show for yourself and go ahead and watch the rest.

For some reason that reminds me I said I would watch that Bones Watchmen show but never have.

One day I will. Maybe now with Deus Ex done and waiting for my PC/other PC necessities to arrive I might give it a watch as it's going to easily be 1-2 weeks before I have my PC.

Line_HTX

Do you HAVE to. Probably not. Truth is the show is pretty cool and seems to have stirred up the community for better or worse. Heck not too long ago the show basically spawned an essay from someone explaining why they didn't enjoy it. If you don't see the value in that, then by all means dont.

But if you are asking, that means that you have taken notice and are curious. So I'd go ahead and say, judge the show for yourself and go ahead and watch the rest.

Yeah, I waited all this time since the 3rd episode aired, haha.

I got you.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ReZero ep.22
Not only do I doubt that, I think they're likely to just split off from the LN. It's way too popular to just not do anything with it after this season.

Line_HTX

Not only do I doubt that, I think they're likely to just split off from the LN. It's way too popular to just not do anything with it after this season.

Shame the same can't be said for Danmachi and possibly having another season after the OVA.

After that ending, I kind of hope they announce one.

ckohler

No doubt, I was just hoping they would give us a decent stopping point, but I'm having a hard time seeing it, lol. I'm calling a cliff hager ending for maximum pain and suffering to fit the theme of the show.

what would a stopping point even have, this whole sidequest in the middle of his suffering kind of suggested that anyone looking for answers wouldnt get them. Why waste an episode on the sword dude even.

zulux21

Well AoT still hasn't aired so we don't know if it did or not (lets hope they do to fix the pacing). As for SAO, the movie coming out is supposed to be original so... They did as well I guess.

the point was, just because it was popular doesn't mean they are just going to split off.

they might do an original movie, but it's doubtful they will do an original TV series.
best case they do the spin off novel, especially since it was unlikely they had any idea how popular re:zero would get since it had basically no hype going into its release.

Line_HTX

Well AoT still hasn't aired so we don't know if it did or not (lets hope they do to fix the pacing). As for SAO, the movie coming out is supposed to be original so... They did as well I guess.

So the movie will have nothing to do with S3? I'm confused which will be canon or whatever.

zulux21

So the movie will have nothing to do with S3? I'm confused which will be canon or whatever.

the new sword art movie is a completely original story, though it is still created by the creator of sword art online.

Wheres my SAO Progressive, SAO Girl Ops animes.

obviously they are waiting for progressive to finish so that they can make a long running version of SAO progressive that has more episodes than DBZ :p

Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Cool game that I hate now because my no alarm run was ruined for stupid story reasons (you get to call two people. If you pick the wrong person then an alarm goes off later that you can't stop. Nice design for your STEALTH GAME) and then it just started to hard crash so I can't leave an area.

You mind lightly spoiling this for me? I'm really early on(trying to finish Cold Steel first) and don't want to make the same mistake.

sonicmj1

Mushishi Season 1 (and the first OVA, and I guess the first half of Zoku-sho that I watched two years ago)

I feel like this post might be pretty much the same as all the other posts I've made about Mushishi, but I feel like it's still worth making.

Fundamentally, Mushishi is a series of speculative fiction stories about life, death, sickness, and the natural world. Despite the fantastical mushi everywhere, the conflicts are grounded in the real. A man leaves his home behind to make a living. Parents grieve the loss of a child. An elder struggles to pass on his legacy. A woman confronts an illness slowly consuming her. Someone tries to make friends with an outsider. Two lovers are separated by distance, by a cruel twist of fate.

At some point a mushi is always involved, and the show's protagonist, Ginko, tries to intervene to make things better. Sometimes things turn out well. Sometimes it's more complicated. Sometimes the mushi's supernatural intervention allows us to have a different perspective on these struggles. But the universality at the core of each tale, combined with the somber, melancholy, meditative tone, gives each story the weight of a fairy tale, passed down over the years, a little wisdom hidden inside if you're open enough to look for it.

It's not a flashy show. It doesn't demand your attention. It expects it, enticing you, drawing you in, revealing scenes of otherworldly beauty. Hiroshi Nagahama's works have masterful sound design, and Mushishi is no exception. Music often takes a backseat to the natural soundscape, making the rural villages, mountains, and beaches of Japan come to life. I watch each episode with the lights off, without distractions, and I leave each awed, transported.

It's very different from most other shows (the closest thing to it I've seen is probably Kino's Journey, but they handle human behavior very differently), and it's a deserved classic. Absolutely recommended.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is it really that likely? How often does a LN adaptation just go "screw it" and go full-on anime original due to its popularity?
Anime original endings are a time honored tradition.

There's also the fact that the LN is just an adaptation of something else to begin with.

Angry Grimace

just like attack on titan and sword art online split off because they were popular.
SAO has a shitload of material available and AOT's source material is on a completely different level of popular than Re:Zero.

Line_HTX

This Art Club Has A Problem 03

Who's parents in their right mind still wears Victorian Era clothing in this day and age?

Usami's friends are at least acknowledging that her and Uchimaki are both annoying, lol

Damn, these last two episodes were kind of dull.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Cool game that I hate now because my no alarm run was ruined for stupid story reasons (you get to call two people. If you pick the wrong person then an alarm goes off later that you can't stop. Nice design for your STEALTH GAME) and then it just started to hard crash so I can't leave an area.

Pfft that never stops anyone. Powerful dudes sure do love to talk about how mortals suck while ignoring massive pile of dead "immortals" attributed to the main character. You'd think after a while World of WarCraft villains would stop laughing at mortals, but they don't.

Even people who are immortal like Kars still lose!
I gave up on the ghost run when during a aide mission I took down two guys with melee and apparently that counted as being discovered.

Plus the final mission would have been a massive pain if I'm supposed to never get discovered.

So is it really just Mankind Divided, or is it also Fanbase Divided? Is the game any good? Who cares anyway, go buy Deus Ex GO.

its a good game, but it feels like a sequel to Human Revolution that would've come out in 2013 given how long it took for it to come out. There as been enough space between HR and MD that it wont feel that derivative though. Prague is really fun to explore.

So is it really just Mankind Divided, or is it also Fanbase Divided? Is the game any good? Who cares anyway, go buy Deus Ex GO.
Good game, low-mid 80s seems appropriate for it. But like Metroid said I don't know why it took this long to release nothing in it really made me feel that it could have taken them a while.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
its a good game, but it feels like a sequel to Human Revolution ...
These two things do not add up...

Also, how have some of you been watching anime for so long but you still don't understand how or why stuff gets another season? Should not expect more Re:zero.

These two things do not add up...

Also, how have some of you been watching anime for so long but you still don't understand how or why stuff gets another season? Should not expect more Re:zero.
This would be truly slothful tho.

Anyways, just finished episode 22. Pretty cool stuff but all this filler anime ending possibility had me do research lol to ease my fears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom