• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Uhhh for me, meh to decent with a really, really shitty ending that undermines the whole.

But at least S2 exists...

... and let's people pretend S1 was good. 😈
Ill add that to my list.
So far i got new game, this, your name, love live, and precure. Maybe ill add sailor moon but i dont know if its been patched.

kewlmyc

But aren't royal candidates prohibited to make war against each other? Yes Subaru brought a bunch of enemy units with him and head to the mansion, but what could he possible do to Emilia, Ram, and the villagers if he was not allowed to harm those people? It is true that Subaru seems to be suspicious af in Ram's eyes, but I don't think that is the reason she used magic (or drug) on him.

Ram could be interpreting it as Subaru acting on his own. In the group he brought, there are no royal candidates. Even Julius told them to refer to him as Juli since he's acting as a mercenary right now. It's more believable than Ram being on the Witch's Cult side and I can't think of any other explanation as to why she would use magic on Subaru like that.

Aren't the web novels that the LN draws from pretty far ahead though?

Yeah, it's several arcs ahead.

The anime adapts from the LN though, and releases between volumes are pretty far apart.

Volume 7 was released in September 2015, then Volume 8 in March, and now Volume 9, which is where the anime's current arc ends, comes out this September.

Unless they decide to go full anime original, it's gonna be a while.

The anime adapts from the LN though, and releases between volumes are pretty far apart.

Volume 7 was released in September 2015, then Volume 8 in March, and now Volume 9, which is where the anime's current arc ends, comes out this September.

I see. So possibly a 2 to 3 year wait. Just like SNAFU. Another one for the list.

That was due to supervision.

Volume 10 releases in October.

zulux21

Just speculation but,
if you look at it from Ram's point of view, he's leading a giant group full of enemy units to the mansion. Doesn't look good considering the last she heard from him, he and Emilia had gotten into a big fight.

A. that wouldn't explain the odd clothing.
B. They said they sent a messenger ahead to let everyone know what was going on.

thus I don't think it will be that simple.

I see. So possibly a 2 to 3 year wait. Just like SNAFU. Another one for the list.

to be fair they could do like girls in a dungeon and do a spin off adaption.
if I recall right there is an alternate novel that covers subaru running off with Rem, they could adapt that into a season next fall or something and thus season two of the main series could be spring 2019 or so.

Cornbread78

Souma S2 ep.8
MILF lovers dream episode. Sounded like the judges were excited about his dish, but not blown away like the others, but we'll have to wait and see until next week..

Has there ever been another season to an anime that has had to wait years to get enough source material? I can only think of ones that never got another season, like spice and wolf and no game no life.

Edit: Though there is a Chaos;head sequel coming in winter, but there have been a few shows with the semicolon in it, so I dunno if that was waiting for source material, or just trickling down works from that author, like the monogatari series.

Qurupeke

Has there ever been another season to an anime that has had to wait years to get enough source material? I can only think of ones that never got another season, like spice and wolf and no game no life.

Shingeki No Kyojin got a 2nd season and it will air about 4 years after the original. I'm sure there are many other examples though.

Edit: Though there is a Chaos;head sequel coming in winter, but there have been a few shows with the semicolon in it, so I dunno if that was waiting for source material, or just trickling down works from that author, like the monogatari series.

SAO? it's been a while now no?

Wait I forgot Ordinal scale is original.

Working!!

Durarara!! got a second season long after the first, but there were already enough material to make it back when they made the first one? And there's that D.Gray-man sequel, but I know nothing about that series.

Mailbox

Kizumonogatari Pt1

A relatively short movie (literally an hour long, so just a bit longer than Owarimonogatari's first episode) Tickets (despite being a SUPER limited release here) were really quite cheap.

The movie is 100% set-up for further events and it kinda just ends after Heart-Under-Blade, Araragi and Meme figure out what course of action to take. In that respect the movie isn't very meaty and watching it without the other parts immediately after makes it feel far too brief.

But what is there is damn beautiful. Art direction, animation, cinematography (straight up frontal panty shots be damned) was all fucking ace! Its toned down compared to standard monogatari (little talking, very simple frame-skips (majority are just Noir or Rouge)) so it should be very easy to come into it as a newcomer for the series. That said, the way it handles itself is still very different from any other anime (thanks shaft :3) so it still feels like a justified watching experience. My friends put it this way: "I was never lost while watching, but it also felt like I was tripping for an hour".

Just to give an all-in-all, I enjoyed it, but I wish it was longer and had more meat. My friends and I all agreed to watch part 2 (whenever it gets a Canadian release) (Hopefully the same theaters will have them + more.) for what its worth.

Hopefully Pt.2 is longer and meatier!!!

Narag

well if you want to play loose with the set terms here, there's Berserk

TUSR

Banned
Kizumonogatari Pt1

A relatively short movie (literally an hour long, so just a bit longer than Owarimonogatari's first episode) Tickets (despite being a SUPER limited release here) were really quite cheap.

The movie is 100% set-up for further events and it kinda just ends after Heart-Under-Blade, Araragi and Meme figure out what course of action to take. In that respect the movie isn't very meaty and watching it without the other parts immediately after makes it feel far too brief.

But what is there is damn beautiful. Art direction, animation, cinematography (straight up frontal panty shots be damned) was all fucking ace! Its toned down compared to standard monogatari (little talking, very simple frame-skips (majority are just Noir or Rouge)) so it should be very easy to come into it as a newcomer for the series. That said, the way it handles itself is still very different from any other anime (thanks shaft :3) so it still feels like a justified watching experience. My friends put it this way: "I was never lost while watching, but it also felt like I was tripping for an hour".

Just to give an all-in-all, I enjoyed it, but I wish it was longer and had more meat. My friends and I all agreed to watch part 2 (whenever it gets a Canadian release) (Hopefully the same theaters will have them + more.) for what its worth.

Hopefully Pt.2 is longer and meatier!!!

100 minutes = 1 hour

Cornbread78

Orange ep.9
Kakeru no baka! Suwa says it's working since Kakeru was obviously jealous about Naho patching up Suwa, however, Kakeru is broken at the same time!

DTL must have been very happy this episode.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Is Ram actually Sloth? What the fuck happened to my happy ending!?

Edit: she died to the witch's cult in the past though. What in the hell!

Cornbread78

Kaiba ep.11-END
its-alright-my-love.jpg

Ok, I'm kinda angry right now, but I'm not sure wether to blame the writer/director, or myself for not understanding what the hell just happened. I mean, the whole Dr. Suess meets anime thing worked in a lot of ways and I was happy when everything clicked as they filled in the backstory in episode 9/10, but those last two threw so much at you so quickly that it felt confusing and incomplete...

The artwork and music, including the OP and ED were beautiful throughout the series, the story was engauging and the characters were fun, but man, they dumped a lot of randomly placed concepts from early into tgat ending.

Nephtis

For a moment I thought we could get a better villain now that
Betelgeuse is dead but not only his power is inherited by another finger but his wackyness too?
fuck!

I think that it's more like his spirit / consciousness just transfers to another of his "fingers". That 2nd ver of his was more funny than I'd like to admit

Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Cool game that I hate now because my no alarm run was ruined for stupid story reasons (you get to call two people. If you pick the wrong person then an alarm goes off later that you can't stop. Nice design for your STEALTH GAME) and then it just started to hard crash so I can't leave an area.

Problem being, Kaiōshin aren't immortal.

Pfft that never stops anyone. Powerful dudes sure do love to talk about how mortals suck while ignoring massive pile of dead "immortals" attributed to the main character. You'd think after a while World of WarCraft villains would stop laughing at mortals, but they don't.

Even people who are immortal like Kars still lose!

AW Gundam X 1 Is the Moon out?

Now just from this 1 episode I can already feel I will like X way more then the last 3 gundam show I watched. (Z,ZZ,0079)

-Garrod is exactly the type of protagonist I like, he is like a Judau but more likeable and just better.
-The first episode was actually good and interesting.
-The *funny moments* were good and well timed.
-Tifa did not speak much yet but it's pretty hard to do worst then Zeta lol.
-The gundam X is one cool machine.
-That opening yo!

Hopefully this keeps up, I really liked the 1st episode.

Kizumonogatari Part 1: Tekketsu

It's been a while since I read the book, even longer since I've watched anything from the series, but Kizumonogatari is instantly familiar. However Kizumonogatari is truly unique that stands on its own and serves as a great starting point for anyone new to the series. The reduced number of flash cuts and subliminal messages makes it easier to digest and more approachable.

The most obvious visual difference Kizu has from any other animated movie or series is that there are no painted backgrounds. Everything is 3d rendered or real world photography. This may seem strange but it works wonderfully and creates some fantastic scenes such as Hanekawa and Araragi's exchange next to the sea and the ocean waves.

One of Monogatari's unique characteristics that was absent in Kizu was the lack of any inner monologue. Both in the novel and the series Araragi is constantly talking to himself, contemplating his situation and what he should do. In Kizu all dialogue is spoken outwardly so other characters can comment on Araragi's thoughts. While this worked for the most part the scene where Araragi decides to sacrifice himself to Kiss-shot felt as though I was missing information. As a novel reader I understand why he chose to sacrifice himself but I have to wonder if his motivations were clear for movie watchers.

Finally I'm not sure I agree with where the movie cut off. Thematically I think it would have served better to end with Araragi discovering his new found vampiric power and save Oshino's introduction for the next movie. Average human who suddenly finds himself with incredible powers works for this introductory movie. Introducing the plot of the three hunters feels too much like a tease.

Gundam X 2 I will give you power

This continues to be good! I'm really liking the characters and the dillema with Tiffa's psyche is pretty interesting.

But god damn that satellite canon! From this fight it looked even stronger then the twin buster rifle and that's not even from the DX. Wow.

Kizumonogatari Part 1: Tekketsu

Finally I'm not sure I agree with where the movie cut off. Thematically I think it would have served better to end with Araragi discovering his new found vampiric power and save Oshino's introduction for the next movie. Average human who suddenly finds himself with incredible powers works for this introductory movie. Introducing the plot of the three hunters feels too much like a tease.

That's because it's supposed to be a tease. Aniplex wants you to come back to watch the second part.

One Piece 754

Hey, this was a pretty good episode. Art was mostly on point. Didn't drag too much. It helps that Zou is actually an interesting location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom