• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friendly reminder that anime we all know and hate is getting, once and for all, irrevocably, like never before in your life, and like never after, it's getting completely and utterly saved. In just about 40 hours.

90483f0c23.gif

I'm seeing hype from the KA rumours.
Best animated episode in 2016. Book it.

Wanderer5

Is Bungo Stray Dogs worth watching?

Personally I think it started pulling off well few episodes in. It had some weird tone shift issues earlier on, but I think that improved later on, and the characters are a joy. Also the Guild looks to be quite a cool antagonist group.

Line_HTX

One in 10,000 chance in becoming a magical girl!

Also, absolutely must cut from 16 magical girls down to 8 to solve the world's magical energy problem!

I don't think Bubuki Buranki was even advertised as a mecha show when it started.

Still, those mecha designs could be worse I guess. Not gonna watch it though since I'm pretty sure everybody who did agreed it was a whole bunch of nothing like Comet Lucifer.

Line_HTX

Of course gotta save the blonde princess from Switzerland from the clutches of Germania, lol

There's a decent number of high profile seiyus here.

If these were Crunchyroll owned anime, There is not much I would like Funimation to dub from that. Kinda disappointing.

Well I guess there is Bungo and Nanbaka

Ascheroth

I don't think Bubuki Buranki was even advertised as a mecha show when it started.

Still, those mecha designs could be worse I guess. Not gonna watch it though since I'm pretty sure everybody who did agreed it was a whole bunch of nothing like Comet Lucifer.
That's an insult towards Comet Lucifer.

Started watching Thunderbolt Fantasy and wow this is pretty damn good. I can easily say how good the action scenes are but I really wanted to praise the dialogue and characterization, I'd be down for more puppets shows like this.

Joe Molotov

No wonder everyone is so bitter and twisted in here.

No Sunshine, no Amanchu, no Anne Happy♪, no Flying Witch, no Ooyasan wa Shishunki!, and finally no Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R!

Shameful.

Anne Happy is my fav, but Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R does have a 100% satisfaction rating, so it's hard to ignore that.

Gvitor

Hoshi no koe / Voices of a distant star

I didn't like it. Art and music were fine as always (aside from the 2 80s 2 me character design), but the story and characters just didn't grab me. While I think the
messaging taking forever
concept is pretty nice, it felt like this short OVA existed only for that. I'd rather have that concept in a bigger movie, with proper character development. 5 centimeters per second's Akari probably has just as much on-screen time as this show's heroine, but 5cm/s sold me on the relationship with its time skips and montages, while Hoshi no koe just didn't. And without caring about the couple's relationship, there wasn't really anything else to salvage in the story. Which leads us to...

Kumo no Mukō, Yakusoku no Basho / The place promised in our early days

I really didn't like this. God, what a boring slog of a movie. Like Hoshi no koe, art (sans character design) and music were the salvageable points, because everything else was, well, shit. I couldn't tell you the story of this movie if I tried. I almost fell asleep 3 times, and the second act was just overexposition of stuff that didn't make sense at all. In retrospect, I probably did fall asleep, because I don't know
how Sayuri went to the capital, got into a coma, I don't know what these towers and parallel universe shit are, I don't know anything about this war.

I don't understand its characters, their motivations and goals. They tried to sell me on the idea that these kids are trying to get to the tower earlier in the movie, but that's about everything I grasped about the story. I don't really know why, or why this girl is going with them.

Everything was a mess.
The plane flying was a good scene, but mostly because that's the only thing they did set up the whole movie.

Eila

Secret AOTY is Pandora in the Crimson Shell but I'll accept Amanchu.

Hoshi no koe / Voices of a distant star
I didn't like it. Art and music were fine as always (aside from the 2 80s 2 me character design), but the story and characters just didn't grab me. While I think the
messaging taking forever
concept is pretty nice, it felt like this short OVA existed only for that. I'd rather have that concept in a bigger movie, with proper character development. 5 centimeters per second's Akari probably has just as much on-screen time as this show's heroine, but 5cm/s sold me on the relationship with its time skips and montages, while Hoshi no koe just didn't. And without caring about the couple's relationship, there wasn't really anything else to salvage in the story. Which leads us to...

You could check out the manga if you want. It's also short, but extended on the background. Or maybe it was more of it's own thing? God, it's been so long.

Jarmel

Banned
Mob-12
This was quite possibly the best way to end the cour. It ended in an emotionally resonant fashion that tied in themes from earlier in the show in a manner that didn't come off as animator wankery but rather in a meaningful statement. It's somewhat striking comparing the writing of this to OPM in that here the characters display emotional growth not only in their own internal development but the relationships they have with others. This felt like a mature way of looking at these fights and the world these characters live in while not losing that identity of being a satire, something OPM struggled with.

There's only a few times that the show came together for me but this episode was definitely one of them. The whole Claw 7th Division arc dragged on a bit too long but they did a masterful job of closing it.

Gvitor

You could check out the manga if you want. It's also short, but extended on the background. Or maybe it was more of it's own thing? God, it's been so long.

I just checked the ending. Apparently they end at the same place (only the endings are different), so I think it's probably the same story but extended on the background like you originally thought. I'll check it out later.

The manga's ending has one more line in the message Noboru gets. "I love you, Noboru", whereas in the OVA, it's just noise. Also, in the manga, he enlists himself to go in a rescue mission, and in the show he doesn't.

I just checked the ending. Apparently they end at the same place (only the endings are different), so I think it's probably the same story but extended on the background like you originally thought. I'll check it out later.

The manga's ending has one more line in the message Noboru gets. "I love you, Noboru", whereas in the OVA, it's just noise. Also, in the manga, he enlists himself to go in a rescue mission, and in the show he doesn't.

He actually does enlist in the OVA though. Or at least it's implied that he does, since there's a shot of a Navy uniform hanging on his wall near the end. It's less subtle and more expanded in the manga, but it's pretty much the same ending.

Gvitor

He actually does enlist in the OVA though. Or at least it's implied that he does, since there's a shot of a Navy uniform hanging on his wall near the end. It's less subtle and more expanded in the manga, but it's pretty much the same ending.

I just rewatched it. It's a 1, 2 at best second shot that happens before he even gets her mail. And they don't mention the rescue ship. Mikaku is still fighting when the OVA ends. It's really, really subtle. I don't think I'd pick up on it if I haven't read the final manga chapter or read your comment.

Bungo Stray Dogs should have ditched everybody and just made it the Dan Brown in Japan show.

He goes in. He discovers something he shouldn't. He's the only one who can solve it Secret Iluminati. Fucks the girl he was with, she wants the Danny Dan D. Then he leaves Japan never to see her again. Except that surprise, she's the daughter of Jesus.

I just rewatched it. It's a 1, 2 at best second shot that happens before he even gets her mail. And they don't mention the rescue ship. Mikaku is still fighting when the OVA ends. It's really, really subtle. I don't think I'd pick up on it if I haven't read the final manga chapter or read your comment.

It's also something I only noticed on a rewatch as well, but it made me appreciate the story more. There's also a newspaper in the same Noboru scene that actually mentions that Mikako's ship won the battle, but was heavily damaged. Like the uniform, the fact that this scene comes before the actual battle makes it a lot easier to miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom