• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I can't even wrap my head around what my top 10 would be, but Erased, Konosuba and ReZero are definitely in my top 5...

Speaking of OT’s, I’ll make a few more again for the fall season, but I need input into which shows you guys think should get one:

Already done:
- Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku ("Magical Girl Raising Project")
- Occultic;Nine

Which of these do you think people would use?

Drifters
3-gatsu no Lion (March Comes in Like a Lion)
Shuumatsu no Izetta (Izetta, The Last Witch)
Luger Code 1951
Fune wo Amu (The Great Passage)
Flip Flappers
ClassicaLoid
All Out!!

Like I said before, I don't expect Re:Zero to win. I don't expect Rakugo to win either. Yeah, the latter was critically acclaimed in here, but did it ever reach 2013 Space Battleship Yamato levels of viewership?

I don't think I'm going to be putting MHA on my list. My opinion of the anime diminished greatly after reading the manga. I'm hoping that's not going to be the case for S2, as that's the point where the manga starts hitting its stride, so I'm hoping BONES does a better job there.

I feel like Jojo is a strong contender for AOTY this time around, due to Part 4 being massively popular and David Production doing an outstanding job. If anything it's gonna be a fight between that and Mob Psycho.

But yeah, I think it's a bit too early to be discussing AOTY stuff when we have another season right around the corner.

Ascheroth

Erased has never been on my top 10 list to begin with. It had a very strong start but the direction it took and the way it was handled increasingly soured me on it.

My top 10 so far are*:
1) JoJo
2) Mob Psycho
3) Kiznaiver
4) Kuromukuro
5) Konosuba
6) Re:Zero
7) Space Patrol Luluco
8) My Hero Academia

and I have to think about the rest.

It's funny how Re:Zero keeps sinking lower the more I think about it. I liked the show a lot, and its highs were really high, but the third arc especially also had its fair share of stuff I disliked, mainly how it handled its 'romance'.

*Ranking will most likely still change, and obviously not counting next seasons shows

Rakugo would also go somewhere very high, but depends on whether or not I actually finish it in time.

My list looks a little something like this right now:

Mob Psycho 100 (tied)
91 Days (tied)
Kiznaiver
Re:Zero
Konosuba
Grimgar
Rakugo (*)
Erased (*)

The two stars are for the fact that I don't know just yet if these will stay on the list. ERASED I've already explained plenty of times why. Now Rakugo is a tough one. I recognize its worth and beauty as a product of love that isn't often seen in anime. HOWEVER. I can't say I was particularly excited to watch this every week. With the Fall coming in hot, and only 10 spots available, I'm probably gonna have to drop both, if not more.

Qurupeke

I expect (at least) 1-2 shows from the next season, other than Eupho, ranking. I'm not sure about the first place though. I could see Euphonium S2 ranking higher if it's of the same quality or better than the first season, but there are a lot of casual watchers that probably won't vote it. JoJo has a chance of ranking higher too, probably taking the first place. It had a better season than last time and it kind of helps that the whole season aired this year. I think there are some complaints about JoJo's overall quality but I doubt they're enough of a drawback. I'd also like Mob Psycho 100 to rank to the top three, and it seems it has a significant following too. I'm not exactly sure how big it is though.

About Re: Zero, I think it can rank, but people probably overestimate it. A lot of people watched it, but I feel it will mostly be placed mid-low on their lists. Also, Your Lie in April is loved by many and it didn't even rank, I don't think Erased has a chance. Maybe for something like 9 or 10.

Honestly the only thing I stuck with in 2016 so far is pretty much just Jojo.

I feel like I'd be better off just ranking my backlog stuff this year.

1. Majin Bone
2. Majin Bone
3. Majin Bone
4. Majin Bone
5. Majin Bone
6. Majin Bone
7. Majin Bone
8. Majin Bone
9. Majin Bone
10. Danball Senki

Sölf

yO3jhoF.jpg

Stupid official translation, that's not how you write "All according to keikaku". I want my money back.

Grimgar was indeed fantastic. If only it had gotten rid of the stupid fan service, it would rank a lot higher for me. Regardless, it still has a permanent spot on my top 10.

If I were to rank my favorite 10 TV anime from 2016, it would currently look like this:

1. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
2. Mob Psycho 100
3. Battery the Animation
4. Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song
5. Haikyuu S2
6. Kiznaiver
7. Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
8. ReLIFE
9. She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-
10. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

Cornbread78

Yeah when I was going through my list I forgot grimgar came out this year. Fantastic show, bad music montages aside. 10/10 cute goblins should have been protags

True, Grimgar might sneak into my top 10. At minimum an honorable mention...

Also, need responses to my question on the first post of the page. I only have a couple days left to make them with only a short period of time to make them... Don't want to see another ReZero situation, lol.

Honestly the only thing I stuck with in 2016 so far is pretty much just Jojo.

I feel like I'd be better off just ranking my backlog stuff this year.

1. Majin Bone
2. Majin Bone
3. Majin Bone
4. Majin Bone
5. Majin Bone
6. Majin Bone
7. Majin Bone
8. Majin Bone
9. Majin Bone
10. Danball Senki
You forgot Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars.
;)

Cornbread78

Rough/quick outlook at what mine will be:

1) Erased
2) Konosuba
3) ReZero
4) Kiznaiver
5) Akagami no Shirayuki-him
6) Twin Star Exorcists
7) MHA
8) 91 Days
9) Orange
10) Tales of Zestiria the X
11) Grimgar
12) Gate S2
13) Handa-Kun
14) Seisen Cerberus
15) New Game

This order will probably change another 100 times before the end of Jan though...

I have to really think about MHA, Gate, Orange and Tales of Z. They could all move up and down, lol.

Aki-at

Man I completely forgot Kiznaiver was a thing, the show was a fun ride but the final few episodes left a bad taste in my mouth and made it a forgetful experience by the end.

Still unless I end up watching Rakugo or 91 Days, or joke answers like Shin Gojira: Fireworks Display and Thunderbolt Fantasy are allowed it might just slip into my top 10 like Macross Delta
and I'm pretty much shilled at this point after winning Mikumo at Club SEGA
on the account I didn't watch anything else. Next season I don't see anything grabbing me minus Drifters, and since I'm not much of a fan of Hellsing I'm not sure how well that'd resonate with me.

Cornbread78

Sölf;218294753 said:
Hm, top 10 anime list for this year so far, eh? Does the winter season count?

well, technically it's "fall 2016" upcoming lol.

But yeah, a few of those shows could oust the ones on lists currently especially Eupho...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I find thinking too deeply about the Top 10 list before the start of the Fall Season to be not too useful but so far my number 1 pick has remained all year thus far.

Narag

If berserk wins its a more of a testament that the Manga fans are so starved for any adaptation they'll vote for absolutely anything berserk related.

I haven't even watched the show because it looked ugly, and I say that as someone who loved the films bad fps aside

I think I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen on GAF that liked it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No wonder everyone is so bitter and twisted in here.

No Sunshine, no Amanchu, no Anne Happy♪, no Flying Witch, no Ooyasan wa Shishunki!, and finally no Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R!

Shameful.

I wish everybody in this thread would just drop everything they're watching and started watching Majin Bone en masse, almost like how we got all those Danball Senki watchers back in April/May.

Everything would surely brighten up in here should that happen.

Sölf

Well then:

1.) 91 Days
2.) Hero Academia
3.) Konosuba
4.) Handa-kun
5.) Mob Psycho 100
6.) Re: Zero
7.) Sekkou Boys
8.) Joker Game
9.) Dagashi Kashi
10.) Luluco

I guess something like this.

blurr

Mob Psycho 100 12 END

That was an interesting final fight. Somewhat glad it turned out the way it did although it was a tad ridiculous at some points.

Fight sequence was an incredible sight, as is watching Reigen's reactions/expressions. Very cool seeing ONE's art style being adapted directly in the final scene. It's a way of letting off steam I suppose haha.

I liked what the show has been tackling thematically but I'm not a fan of how it progressed at times. There were segments it seemed to get my attention but as everything is narrated/spoken/shown in detail (and I can't say none of it was necessary), it more or less turned me off. It sort of left little for me to wonder about which is something I enjoy about these themes. On the other hand, it had my undivided attention in every action sequence which brings me to point out how it feels more appealing as an action anime and less as a coming of age story/character drama due to the way it handles narrative. The conclusion and the message it is going for contradicts with that appeal. Perhaps this is deliberate which would be interesting. The conclusion ties up some loose ends but does so unconvincingly; everything turned out fine for the student council president, Kageyama and Onigawara - I do acknowledge much has happened to them at a personal level but it feels like their transformation went a bit overboard going by how they reacted and spoke.

I suppose that has much to do with ONE's writing which fortunately has been complimented by incredible and eclectic animation, latest example being the Claw member narrating his backstory. Sometimes it was hard to keep up with the visual prowess and diversity through out an episode or perhaps even a scene. It was quite the show for Sakuga enthusiasts and fans, more so I see it as an opportunity to learn more about the talent involved.

I wish everybody in this thread would just drop everything they're watching and started watching Majin Bone en masse, almost like how we got all those Danball Senki watchers back in April/May.

Everything would surely brighten up in here should that happen.
Danball Senki watch happened because Narag can be a very convincing promoter of shows he likes and thinks others may like, learn from his methods!

Not saying my definitive AOTY until JoJo is over because Highway Star is the GOAT shonen fight and Another One Bites the Dust owns too

but right now its Rakugo and MP100 > JoJo and Gintama

Sölf

Not saying my definitive AOTY until JoJo is over because Highway Star is the GOAT shonen fight and Another One Bites the Dust owns too

but right now its Rakugo and MP100 > JoJo and Gintama

Ah fuck, Gintama ended during the winter season, eh? Welp, seems Luluco has to go then.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
See, I just stick to the a simple 'no sequels' rules to give new shows a chance. So I don't give shows like Gintama a vote so I don't really have to worry about it.

Narag

Konosuba 2

Like I was saying on twitter, if someone had sold this to me as longform Senyuu when it aired, I would have probably watched it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom