• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

If I were to rank my favorite 10 TV anime from 2016, it would currently look like this:

1. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
2. Mob Psycho 100
3. Battery the Animation
4. Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song
5. Haikyuu S2
6. Kiznaiver
7. Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
8. ReLIFE
9. She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-
10. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

ReLIFE was one of the better shows I've seen this year, nice to see it make it on someone's list. Ought to watch some of these in preparation of AotY.

TUSR

Banned

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't even wrap my head around what my top 10 would be, but Erased, Konosuba and ReZero are definitely in my top 5...

Kiznaiver would make my top 10, maybe even 5. I just enjoyed it quite a bit.

See, I just stick to the a simple 'no sequels' rules to give new shows a chance. So I don't give shows like Gintama a vote so I don't really have to worry about it.
It'd be a rule to make it easier, but at the same time I feel it's unfair if the show runners and materials is particularly great to not consider it for a spot.

zulux21

I can't even wrap my head around what my top 10 would be, but Erased, Konosuba and ReZero are definitely in my top 5...

only shows in the running for me

winter
erased - currently top 10
assassination classroom 2
still need to watch or finish
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
durarara
Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season
Dimension W
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime 2nd Season

Spring
Boku no Hero Academia - currently top 10
Re:zero -current top anime
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
still need to watch or finish
Bungou Stray Dogs

shows I won't get to but likely should
jojo, I am just gonna wait for the dub.

summer
ReLIFE - currently in top 10
Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara - currently in top 10
mob psycho - currently in top 10

still need to watch/finish
Orange
91 Days
Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin

CtXfEhyWIAAM3PV.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
PSA PSA PSA

Nyanbo is eligible for AOTY along with Thunderbolt Fantasy and Stranger Things

RWBY still isn't anime.

PSA PSA PSA

phaze

Thundebolt was already singled out as AOTY by Oshii and Ikuhara. Who are we to argue ?

Mob Psycho 12
I don't think ONE minds that he made a shounen story that relies on some of those conventions.

I don't think I wrote anywhere that he did.
They're both shounen stories with atypical protagonists. Those protagonists subvert some shounen cliches

As far as Mob goes, to an extent to which certain traits are takes sure but having social issues, dislike of violence or having inner super power you're afraid of are all fairly basic and common building blocs of shounen protagonists. Which I guess is another part of my complaints against the show, there's nothing interesting about most of its shouneny parts unless you want to pretend those works don't have character development, interesting characters or intrigue.

It's not coincidental that, while Mob sometimes fights back against his enemies, the fights he really "wins" are the ones where he never attacks. Having a base invasion arc with fights against a bunch of other henchmen plays against that a bit, but I don't think it actually undercuts the message.

I'd say it does and I'm not sure I'd call being paralyzed, incapable of decision as winning. Ive no clue, if this is something something that the show acknowledges and continues on with later, going by that "coward" I'd say probably but even in this final episode violence/fighting wins. Reigen's words would have meant nothing without the violence propping them. Mob is just allowed to skirt the issue by dumping it on others through through a set of wholly nonsensical writing decisions: 1. what I long to call an asspull but since the laws of powers are so vague to the point of being nonexistent, I'll settle just for silly plot device aka Reigen's power up. 2. Making a mockery of the hitherto antagonists. 3. That one's kid decision to just dissolve his own organisation. (villains are always awful at man management huh)

duckroll

I have solved the mystery of Cold Steel. This game was made because someone at Falcom was determined to reimagine the school festival subplot in Trails in the Sky FC as an epic climax for a 70+ hour RPG instead. Everything else in this game doesn't matter, it was all written as filler to foreshadow and lead into the final chapter. Lol.

Cornbread78

I have solved the mystery of Cold Steel. This game was made because someone at Falcom was determined to reimagine the school festival subplot in Trails in the Sky FC as an epic climax for a 70+ hour RPG instead. Everything else in this game doesn't matter, it was all written as filler to foreshadow and lead into the final chapter. Lol.

And just when you think your done after all those dates.....
you go on more dates... so anime

Clov

Rating this mess of an anime year without the big fall season shows is such a pointless exercise.

That's why I don't have a solid list yet, just a handful of stand-outs that impressed me. Fall is looking great, so it's likely any list I could make at this point would change considerably.

phaze

Friendly reminder that anime we all know and hate is getting, once and for all, irrevocably, like never before in your life, and like never after, it's getting completely and utterly saved. In just about 40 hours.

Cornbread78

Friendly reminder that anime we all know and hate is getting, once and for all, irrevocably, like never before in your life, and like never after, it's getting completely and utterly saved. In just about 40 hours.

Believe it.

Are you that excited for the Student Council President's comeback?

phaze

Are you that excited for the Student Council President's comeback?

Literally who

----

Handa-kun 02-12

This show should have sudoku'd after the eraser song episode which is the one time it manages to transcend dumb and become somewhat funny for an extended period of time. I'm not sure why I watched it to completion, probably because I'm dumb idiot but please do not repeat my mistake.

Literally who

----

Handa-kun 02-12

This show should have sudoku'd after the eraser song episode which is the one time it manages to transcend dumb and become somewhat funny for an extended period of time. I'm not sure why I watched it to completion, probably because I'm dumb idiot but please do not repeat my mistake.

Heh, reminds me how I, for no good reason, watched all of Danganronpa (S1) even though it had evidently little going for it. Think I was playing some Pokemon fangame at the same time and I wanted something to watch on the side. Still, can't recommend it.

Sölf

Binbougami ga! 01
A friend recommended that to me and I had that on my radar for years now but never really bothered watching it. He showed me the Death Note parody, since I am past that part now and my god, that was great. The first episode was okay, but I get some serious Gintama vibes at times, with this switch between seriousness and wackiness. And all those parodies of course. Will continue with this.

Sölf

Handa-kun 02-12

But why do you not want other people to watch a good show?

PK Gaming

It's set up for the second game.

Literally every major NPC is relevant in some way going forward.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kind of unfair they have a cat that studies ancient history while we're lumped with a cat that just bullies.

Mob Psycho 100 - 12
Yeah the finale was excellent. Strong hints for a second season 2, which makes me happy. I actually don't believe 91 Days will manage to trump over this show, but I'll still wait before I give it the AOTS medal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom