• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

I love me some good romance anime...

Let me think... no death... ugghh.

Ore Monogatari (My Love Story)
Golden Time
Eureka 7
ef-A Tale of Memories
White Album 2
Snow White with Red Hair
Emma, a Victorian Live Story
Waiting in the Summer
Itazura na Kiss
Kimikiss Pure Rouge
Kanon(2006)
A Lull in the Sea
Nodame Cantabile
Spice and Wolf
Onegai☆Teacher
Planetes
Rec
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou

Sorry, I added more.

Oh Welcone, and it's always fair game to chat older anime. Just ask sobe, all new anime is shit and the only good stuff was from last season...
Wow that's a long list and just what I was looking for. Thanks!

phaze

Does anyone have any recs for a romance/slice of life like this one except

Admittedly, I haven't seen YLiA past 2/3rd episode but in the romance field I'd recommend you give a chance to:

- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- 5cm per second
- Toradora

Lots of people liked Kare Kano too so it might be worth giving a try if you don't mind that it ends absofuckinglutely nowhere and you have to go to manga for the rest. It also has major "technical" issues in the last few episodes.

Star Driver 22
017828nwk2s.jpg

This twist would be slightly surprising had you not blatantly telegraphed it in the OP

Geee, the biggest infodump in the series right before the endgame, done by the way of a role play, where have I seen that before ?

VRMN

For an episode that's entirely dedicated to introducing characters, it didn't exactly endear me to any of them. We have the dopey coin-girl, the annoying class pres, mute eye-patch girl, journalism girl, and of-course killer-ribbon girl.

They're absurd caricatures bereft of any complexity and plausibility, even by Key standards. The way we cycled through them one-by-one seemed far more apropos to a VN than to a video experience.

Key's protagonists are a cut above the usual milquetoast offerings, but they follow a formula as well. Snarky, lonerish, and harboring secrets/demons of their own.

There was very, very little for me to like and I'm not sure I'll even stick around for episode 2.
It didn't do a good job of introducing them, because it was so focused on getting through all of them in an hour it didn't dwell on any of them and simplified two of them (Chihaya, Lucia) for the sake of speed. Even Kotori, who was at least around, didn't get more than "childhood friend, kind of obviously trying to keep some emotional distance."

Hell, the fact that the ribbon girl was showing up as much as she was in episode one terrified me more than anything. Truth be told, she shouldn't be that prominent until later in the series. The game puts on airs of being more typical for a bit before pulling the rug out from under you. It's more effective than you might think when you've had a chance to let your guard down.

Sigh.

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria the X - 01
I hope all the episodes from this are Alicia episodes.
Also i'm getting ready to feel sad inside when Lailah shows up for obvious reasons.

Uugghh. That reminder.. RIP.

Rewrite 2: Literal fart jokes, this pleases me. Shizuru is still the bro-est girl. Including stuff like the bonus Tomoko scene that you only get after clearing the game gives me high hopes that they'll include stuff like the YO-SHI-NO song, the joke judgment machine, or the Laplace app scene.

Sounds interesting, lol. It's definatwly cramming as much as possible into each episode.

Wow that's a long list and just what I was looking for. Thanks!

No problem at all. I forgot a few like Toradora as well.

Acosta

Food Wars! The Second Plate 2

Someone said before: "I love this stupid show".

I think this the best sentence to define my feelings for this. The jojo part was the breaking point.

Food wars S2 ep.2

It still has that fast pacing to it that I don't like but it was much less a problem then last week. I also don't think they gutted any story this time. Other then that I enjoyed the episode! After cutting out so much of her story they finally give best girl the deserved screen time.

Hoping they don't cut too much more...I love my side-characters stories.

DAYS ep.2

I can not really put my finger on it but I really like this show. The MC is so endearing and I really like the story so far. Keep at it boy, you are going to be the best!

Something Outcast ep.1

This was terrible. Everything about this was bad. EVERYTHING!
Dropped

Tales of Zestiria the X 1
They're pacing this pretty slowly. Two episodes in and they've covered a few minutes of the OVA that released with the game.

Acosta

Kiznaiver 9

I'm catching up on random stuff and got into this as I usually like to watch Trigger stuff.

Wow, this was intense, had to stop a few times because it was too much drama to bear. I tend to prefer less heavy stuff but I'm intrigued at the premise and characters. But I have the feeling I'm going to suffer with this...

(I hate the OP)

Edit:

Kiznaiver 10

Jesus fucking christ...

Rewrite 02

Who knew sleep farting while a 'ghost' girl was attempting to mess with the MC would ward it away? Amusing episode all around though. Cast seems to be gathered now, looking for to more.

Tales of Zestiria the X 1

The two best characters are here! I'm liking the way they are doing the story right now. The animation and visuals are still outstanding but the thing that really amazed me during this episode was the ending. The preview/skit was quite fun.

The ending had some amazing pictures and animations.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 27 Dust Storm Dance: Chapter II - The Monarch Versus the Conqueror

What was with the audio, it felt like in a video game where you moved the voice slider down way lower than the sound effects :(

Epic episode though that ending.
CnBD4LLWIAAdaqM.jpg:small

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Arslan Senki Season 2, Episode 2:

Yea, wow, the audio mixing just went to shit in this episode with all the sound effects drowning out all of the dialog. I do admit that is realistic but also speaks to shoddy production values which let us be honest this series is no stranger towards. Anyway, this is about where the old OVA series clocked out so my knowledge of events shall be once again be obfuscated.

Arslan Senki Season 2, Episode 2:

Yea, wow, the audio mixing just went to shit in this episode with all the sound effects drowning out all of the dialog. I do admit that is realistic but also speaks to shoddy production values which let us be honest this series is no stranger towards.

Apparently this is actually Funimation's fault. Their version of the episode has different audio mixing than the Japanese TV broadcast version.

Aki-at

Arslan Senki S2 - 2

Realistic battle audio at least.

Narsus' plan this time relied on letting
their king rush to battle and maybe skewing himself in the process
don't think it was his best moment haha.

Wasn't expecting Andragoras III to
outright banish Arslan. At the very least would the people rally behind the old king in favour of the new, better model? Get the feeling Arslan will try to avoid the instability a civil war will cause and just does what his father says.

Tales of Zestiria The X Episode 2 Capital of Seraphim
tumblr_oa3u0rnqki1un4czdo1_540.png
tumblr_oa3u0rnqki1un4czdo2_540.png

2nd favorite scene. Also episode continues Alisha's bad luck, kind of feel bad for after last week and then the start of this weeks episode.

The backgrounds and setting are all so lovely.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Independence Day 2
Not bad. It's mindless action movie through and through with a lot of cheesy dialogue. There's no time for emotional moment since one moment one character death, and in another minute another character that just witness said character death saying some cheesy one-liner. Cool dogfight scene and i like that they reference the ridiculousness of the prequel.

gargles

orange - 2

It's absolutely ridiculous how likeable this group is, and we're just on the second episode! Please Naho, protect that smile (and yours) at all costs. Again, great episode, with just one complaint: loud soundtrack. But it's just a small issue on an extremely good episode.

Acosta

Kiznaiver 12

Ok I felt this was in another direction to be honest. I'm almost feel a little disappointed
that it didn't end in a huge drama
but it was entertaining to watch.

Kieli

Orange 2:

One of the better looking series of the season. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd have thought it was airing on noitamina back when they were going for more artistic endeavours.

Independence Day 2
Not bad. It's mindless action movie through and through with a lot of cheesy dialogue. There's no time for emotional moment since one moment one character death, and in another minute another character that just witness said character death saying some cheesy one-liner. Cool dogfight scene and i like that they reference the ridiculousness of the prequel.

It was so good, I love post apocalyptic disaster fics. I hate that they spend more time on pilots faces during fight scenes than on the action itself though

Morose Mononokean Episode 2

Fantastic yokai exorcise episode, Im glad we have this and Rin-ne, both share similarities though this manages to get at the heart much more sincerely and emotionally. I teared up.

Orange 2:

One of the better looking series of the season. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd have thought it was airing on noitamina back when they were going for more artistic endeavours.

Good news, noitamina actually has an anime this season that looks pretty in keeping with their "more artistic endeavors" period.

Arslan S2 E2

I continue to love this show. It's just solid and enjoyable to me. Can anyone guess the likelihood of continuing seasons? How popular is this? How much more material is there to cover?

Sölf

Arslan S2 02
Good episode, but the fuck was wrong with this audio? I am really happy I had subtitles, I am not sure if I would have understood everything with how loud the music was at some parts, especially during the battle.

Also, Andragos, dude. Chill.

Ascheroth

Active Raid S2 #1

Good to have it back, with all its mix of goofyness and seriousness.

Some time has passed after the first seasons end and a couple laws regarding Willwears changed and Unit 8 itself did too, with some new faces, and some changes with the eyisting Members (lol Sena, wtf are you doing.)
The character interactions are as fun as ever and those 'commercials' at the beginning and Kurokis reaction voice message to Sena sure cracked me up.

And yep, it sure is hard not to see that the character designs are by Somas artist.

phaze

Kiznaiver 9

I'm catching up on random stuff and got into this as I usually like to watch Trigger stuff.

(I hate the OP)

Orange 02
01784421x85.jpg

Awkwaaaaard
Naho being unable to change things even with instructions from the future, all because of her personal shortcomings is a pretty interesting angle.

Liked this one more then the premiere but I'm not sure if Hamasaki's direction, as restrained as it as here, is the best fit. Some of the scenes seem to beg for more color and life in them. And I'm not sure if it's just my impression but character animation feels stiff at times.

Orange 02

This girl is so innocent that it's just adorable seeing how hard she tries to make Kakeru smile. Speaking of him, I figured something had to happen for him to be missing school at the start of the semester but I wasn't expecting that to be the reason.

I gotta say I really like the art for this show. The character design is a bit more grounded than other anime, maybe because it is a shoujo? I can't quite put my finger on it but the animation work put together with the way the characters are designed just make it seem more natural than other shows. It all fits since this is a SoL after all.

Wanderer5

Orange #2

Great group of friends continue to be a joy to watch. Also apparently this episode had 17 animation directors lol.

And jeez, that must have been horrifying for Kakeru to come back home to see his mom having committed suicide.:(

Active Raid Second Episode 1 – The Man from the West
CnBWuajWgAAMFXn.jpg:small

INteresting way she speaks, hope she gets more scenes, its fun seeing how Sena with the Senars acts around her. I also love the still on going Sena and Kuroki thing, best rivals partners.

The new character with Scopophobia is interesting, first time Ive seen someone in anime with that condition. The glasses they give her is a great hypothetical solution.

Qurupeke

Re: Zero 15
WELL DAMN. I guess this is where the shocking stuff starts because this was a hard to watch episode. Pure madness and very disturbing. Though Subaru deserved everything. :^) Anyway, phenomenal, cartoonish villain too, I need more of him.

RE:Zero 15

I'm not entirely sure of the time gap between the reset point and when everything went to hell, but it seems really small. But damn, they omitted both the OP and ED for this episode

Puck kills Subaru twice

gargles

Re:Zero - 15

Amazing, we've reached absolute madness (The Outside of Madness... of course). If Subaru's insanity was something remarkable,
Betelgeuse's
deserves a thesis. They weren't joking when they said the first arcs' suffering was nothing compared to this one. Holy shit. Definitely this show's best episode. Looking forward to see how will Subaru keep his mind cool and sane. Finally rooting for him, even though he deserved some type of punishment.

Puck... Why.

(and now... > 90 more minutes of suffering with the final battle in Paris. I'm not ready)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom