• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm disappointed with myself that with all of the incest romance anime we've had I never posted the 'what's the matter brother' dog image. What has happened to my dank meme images.

Cornbread78

Souma S2 ep.2
Excellent. This show is just plain dumb fun to watch and having Megumi the focus makes it twice as good. I'm dying to see how the judging turns out next week.

javac

S9BPM1bl.jpg
Space Adventure Cobra is the 1982 movie adaptation of the Buichi Terasawa penned manga which was subsequently adapted into a television series of the same name months later. Although both adaptations were helmed by the master Osamu Dezaki and resemble one another visually, embellished in his trademark pastel visage and littered with his patented postcard memories, vignettes that capture key moments, the two adaptations still feel wholly individual, both interesting and worthy of your time.
Although the visual fidelity of this film isn’t that much greater than the TV series the visuals are still delightful due to the fantastic art, attractive character designs and a great use of colours. Cobra swaps out raw detail for style but that doesn’t mean that it’s lacking substance. Like the television series, Space Adventure Cobra looks better in motion due to the use of dynamic camera angles that are utilised in order to manipulate the viewer’s sense of space, perspective and orientation and a great sense of lighting is employed to create a unique feeling of speed to each scene. The Space Cobra franchise is home to a myriad of psychedelic imagery however the hallucinogenic visuals are dialed up to a significant extent in the theatrical film. The film opens up with a James Bond-esque title sequence that’s a treat for the eyes with scantily dressed women floating across space, silhouettes of people against backdrops of ocean waves and profiles of seagulls against the sky in a segment that’s both intoxicating to look at and super stylish. Its depictions of space travel is simple but effective, with dark blacks juxtaposing with bright neon and florescent bursts of colours being used when traveling at fast speeds. In typical Dezaki fashion, Space Cobra is embellished with a painterly visage, a style that is timeless and looks amazing all these years later, trading fine detail for a more vibrant and fun aesthetic. Dezaki also manages to incorporate his patented pastel freeze frames seamlessly within the film during explosions and such events. The Dezaki/Akio Sugino duo are extra adventurous here with loads of experimental camera angles and unorthodox transitions.
Visually one of the key differences is funnily enough something that mightn’t register with the viewer at first but is painfully obvious and it’s the fact that whereas the TV series is presented in a 4:3 aspect ratio, the film is presented in 16:9 widescreen. Although it’s a simple alteration that is brought about due to the format change the larger screen real-estate allows for more scenery and action to be depicted at a single time. The 4:3 aspect ratio has never been a hindrance in my opinion but the widescreen format does exude a greater sense of freedom to each scene.
Since the televised series was 31 episodes in length a great deal of plot is omitted from the theatrical film and so for a person whose already seen the TV series a great deal of frustration may occur when key moments that would make for great transitions on the big screen are absent. The television series focused on an ensemble of villains however the film zones in on a single antagonist however I felt that this focus was squandered. Even with a 1 hour 40 minute run-time the film wastes little time with building character and the world. Instead it is very linear and goes from point of interest to point of interest without meandering which is upsetting due to the fact that the world of Cobra is fascinating and the side stories are exciting but as exhilarating as the Rugball arc is, it makes sense that the movie wouldn’t devote time to it. This is where the film failed to capture my interest, because it’s clear that it looks great visually and I find the characters and their designs endearing but there’s not much ground covered with character development and although that’s to be expected within reason due to the transition to film and hence the smaller run-time I’ve nevertheless seen smoother transitions elsewhere. It is a shame, because the silly hijinks that Cobra finds himself in is usually highly entertaining.
The Space Cobra franchise is no stranger to spiritual elements however it’s featured more prominently within the film which adds to the psychedelic visuals. Cobra has always been a series that is filled with crazy and weird occurrences, all of which are never explained which I can appreciate as less is indeed sometimes more. It’s clear everything in this world exists just as a means to look cool and indeed the film does look cool if not a little goofy here and there. The action unfortunately is a huge weak point in this film to a degree that made the last conflict boring. The invulnerable Cobra is often unphased by his obstacles, and that’s no different in the TV series however where the main villains in the TV series are defeated in imaginative and eccentric manners like video game bosses, we never see this in the film.
The excitement towards Cobra for me originates from the little stories that surface from the journey across the galaxy and although it’s nice to have a high production film focusing a single arc, the opportunity was somewhat wasted. On paper the Crystal Boy arc is a perfect candidate for a film adaptation, however the illustrious golden humanoid cyborg is neither strong nor intimidating in this version which of course is a huge disappointment. My tone towards this film may come across as solely negative but the truth is I still enjoyed it quite a bit. My negativity stems from my prior experiences with the television series. As I stated previously I'm aware that the transition comes with some caveats due to the format and run-time changes and so I never expected a 1:1 transition but it’s still a slight disappointment. Space Cobra is a fun film, but it can be a little boring due to the lack of stakes but this adaptation does take some liberties with the material and so a few surprises do await.
Space Adventure Cobra is a stylish, sci-fi romp across the galaxy with a slick soundtrack and goofy hijinks galore. Encapsulating a now bygone era in which we once looked towards the future to be a utopia filled with flying cars and jet-packs the film is a product of its time and is all the better for it. Although the action is a little dull and story is nowhere as eccentric and energetic as the television series, the film is still a fun experience that succeeds in entertaining its audience during this brief stint across the galaxy.
7/10

Gvitor

Rewrite 01

Is this secretly Clannad on drugs where every girl is Fuuko?

Those last 5-10min had me questioning my sanity and ability to keep up with what the hell was happening. Am I supposed to understand anything? At all?

Lucentto

Banned
Rewrite 01

Is this secretly Clannad on drugs where every girl is Fuuko?

Those last 5-10min had me questioning my sanity and ability to keep up with what the hell was happening. Am I supposed to understand anything? At all?

Nope. It will all naturally make sense later. But I have no idea how they are going to handle it in the show.

Does anyone know if Rewrite will be 13 ep or 24?

Nope, says it airs Saturdays at 7:30 on the show page.

Crunchyroll forgot to update that page then. The first episode released early on Saturday, but they said on Twitter at that time that future episodes would release on Sunday as the announcement page states.

Nope. It will all naturally make sense later. But I have no idea how they are going to handle it in the show.

It's 13.

VRMN

13. And it will be a freaking disaster for it unless they shock me and make it multi-split cour. First episode didn't exactly instill me with hope.

TWILT

Banned
Love Live Sunshine Ep 2
That was a gooood episode. Glad that it's becoming it's own thing now; was getting worried it might be a bit too much like the first LL (though some of the similarities are still there). Dia might become one of my favorite characters after all. Nice to see she's not just Eli 2.0 like some people thought she was. The Love Live quiz was probably my favorite part of the episode; Dia was really fun there (even though I only got 1/4 right myself >>;) Animation seems pretty solid this time around too. Hope for more Yohane next episode :eek:

Cornbread78

Rewrite ep.2

The episode assembled the rest of the gang together as they all joined the club to help with the occult research. Of course, they each have their own reasons for joining the club, but it should be a fun mesh of personalities. They definitely focused on the comedy and SoL parts of this show and it was pretty funny stuff in my opinion. Hopefully, they can keep tbis entertaining and get to z satisfying storyline in 13 epidodes.

Clegg

This may not be the right thread as it aint currently running but I've just finished watching Your Lie in Spring . I'm in bits right now. It was obvious what was going to happen at the end but it still hit like a train. Great anime about the bonds of friendship and the effects people have on your life when young. I also liked the Tsubaki side story of dealing with falling in love with her best friend from childhood. Cliche but handles well.

Does anyone have any recs for a romance/slice of life like this one except BIG SPOILERS
one where the main love interest doesn't fucking die.

Narag

This may not be the right thread as it aint currently running but I've just finished watching Your Lie in Spring . I'm in bits right now. It was obvious what was going to happen at the end but it still hit like a train. Great anime about the bonds of friendship and the effects people have on your life when young. I also liked the Tsubaki side story of dealing with falling in love with her best friend from childhood. Cliche but handles well.

Does anyone have any recs for a romance/slice of life like this one except BIG SPOILERS

It's a general thread so older show discussion is as welcome as airing anime discussion.

Rewrite ep.2

The episode assembled the rest of the gang together as they all joined the club to help with the occult research. Of course, they each have their own reasons for joining the club, but it should be a fun mesh of personalities. They definitely focused on the comedy and SoL parts of this show and it was pretty funny stuff in my opinion. Hopefully, they can keep tbis entertaining and get to z satisfying storyline in 13 epidodes.

I've seen two images of this show and both have been some girl smiling all smug motherfucking like.

Gvitor

Did they disable taking screenshots in the app again?

I don't know, I never really used it. I find it actually faster to just take a picture and upload it than to open the app and go to the specific timeslot.

--

Qualidea Code 01

Futuristic setting? Bunch of technobabble?
Schools competing against each other? Ranking systems?
MC is a god?
90% of the cast are girls?

I am very surprised the MC didn't see Canaria in her underwear.

Cornbread78

This may not be the right thread as it aint currently running but I've just finished watching Your Lie in APRIL. I'm in bits right now. It was obvious what was going to happen at the end but it still hit like a train. Great anime about the bonds of friendship and the effects people have on your life when young. I also liked the Tsubaki side story of dealing with falling in love with her best friend from childhood. Cliche but handles well.

I love me some good romance anime...

Let me think... no death... ugghh.

Ore Monogatari (My Love Story)
Golden Time
Eureka 7
ef-A Tale of Memories
White Album 2
Snow White with Red Hair
Emma, a Victorian Live Story
Waiting in the Summer
Itazura na Kiss
Kimikiss Pure Rouge
Kanon(2006)
A Lull in the Sea
Nodame Cantabile
Spice and Wolf
Onegai☆Teacher
Planetes
Rec
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou

Sorry, I added more.

Oh Welcone, and it's always fair game to chat older anime. Just ask sobe, all new anime is shit and the only good stuff was from last season...

Kieli

13. And it will be a freaking disaster for it unless they shock me and make it multi-split cour. First episode didn't exactly instill me with hope.

For an episode that's entirely dedicated to introducing characters, it didn't exactly endear me to any of them. We have the dopey coin-girl, the annoying class pres, mute eye-patch girl, journalism girl, and of-course killer-ribbon girl.

They're absurd caricatures bereft of any complexity and plausibility, even by Key standards. The way we cycled through them one-by-one seemed far more apropos to a VN than to a video experience.

Key's protagonists are a cut above the usual milquetoast offerings, but they follow a formula as well. Snarky, lonerish, and harboring secrets/demons of their own.

There was very, very little for me to like and I'm not sure I'll even stick around for episode 2.

Just T

Kono Bijutsubu: 1

Charming start. I noticed the manga being mentioned a few times here and there but never read it so I was looking forward to this. There were a few things the episode didn't really need but overall it was really enjoyable. The music was rather nice and the art quality was up there too. Hopefully it keeps this up.

Probably going to continue to get a lot of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun vibes from this.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Key's protagonists are a cut above the usual milquetoast offerings, but they follow a formula as well. Snarky, lonerish, and harboring secrets/demons of their own.
finally, anime characters i can relate to.

Cornbread78

For an episode that's entirely dedicated to introducing characters, it didn't exactly endear me to any of them. We have the dopey coin-girl, the annoying class pres, mute eye-patch girl, journalism girl, and of-course killer-ribbon girl.

They're absurd caricatures bereft of any complexity and plausibility, even by Key standards. The way we cycled through them one-by-one seemed far more apropos to a VN than to a video experience.

There was very, very little for me to like and I'm not sure I'll even stick around for episode 2.

Ep.2 spent the whole time introducing each member to the club, but it didn't go into backstory at all.

The 13 episode thing really makes me nervous though, I'm not sure why Key won't do 2 cours anymore, especially with their largest VN..

Blusby

Ep.2 spent the whole time introducing each member to the club, but it didn't go into backstory at all.

The 13 episode thing really makes me nervous though, I'm not sure why Key won't do 2 cours anymore, especially with their largest VN..

It's supposed to be an original scenario.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Just finished watching ReLife. Super predictable, but I enjoyed the ride. =S
This was my feeling. Felt a lot more could have been done with the premise. Overall, innocent fun, comfortable. I'd recommend Erased for more of a meaningful and darker/trippy "second chance" story.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 1

Thunderbolts are Go! Delightful. Summer stand out so far.

jonjonaug

Rewrite 2: Literal fart jokes, this pleases me. Shizuru is still the bro-est girl. Including stuff like the bonus Tomoko scene that you only get after clearing the game gives me high hopes that they'll include stuff like the YO-SHI-NO song, the joke judgment machine, or the Laplace app scene.

Line_HTX

Okada Gundam 05

The music really turns it up as Orga and company try to head to Earth.

Damn, I'm happy that Coral got rekt so hard and that two-timing scammer got tied up in a box and sent away.

McGillis did the Iori Yagami laugh at the end, mhmm hmm hmm ha HA-HAHAHA!

Thoraxes

Re:Zero - 13

Wow, I knew Subaru had some dumb tendencies, but he actually managed to become an insufferable shitlord this episode. Even I would've wanted to slap his shit.

Tales of Zestiria the X - 01

I hope all the episodes from this are Alicia episodes.

Also i'm getting ready to feel sad inside when Lailah shows up for obvious reasons.

Mandelbo

Momokuri 01-02

Kinda standard comedy. Momo's friends insisting that he can't possibly have a human girlfriend was entertaining, as is Kurihara's general attitude, but admittedly I started episode 3 and was getting a little bored already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom