• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm actually walking Shinsekai Yori now. I'd say it's enjoyable, and above mediocre in terms of production values and such, but it feels sort of weird. The MC's motivations sometimes felt somewhat incoherent, or "off" (As in, didn't flow very smoothly.). Ie; The MC seemed to care very much about something, and then later on, a different character adopted that stance, and the MC tried to talk them out of it.

And the, uh, "intimate" scenes..

Love how everyone gets caught up in that lol

ibyea

Banned
Dragon Ball Super: Fillers and some Freeza episodes
The fillers were really fun, unlike the rest of the show when things get serious. Then the show is unbearably boring. I just want them to shut the fuck up. Is that too much to ask?

I'm actually walking Shinsekai Yori now. I'd say it's enjoyable, and above mediocre in terms of production values and such, but it feels sort of weird. The MC's motivations sometimes felt somewhat incoherent, or "off" (As in, didn't flow very smoothly.). Ie; The MC seemed to care very much about something, and then later on, a different character adopted that stance, and the MC tried to talk them out of it.

And the, uh, "intimate" scenes..

Dunno how far you're at the moment but depending on when that change in behavior occurred (for instance, before and after the first time-skip) there's justification for it. But also depends on how you see things. Having rewatched it not all too long ago, I didn't encounter any major character inconsistencies.

That intimate stuff certainly does have an explanation that's mentioned in episode 4 (I think) already.

Narag

Altair: A Record of Battles 9

jTSxj5al.png
T3CSV1zl.png

L: episode, R: OP

New bad guy didn't disappoint. We're nearly through all the big events in the OP and I see this is on the fall chart so I assume we're getting a new OP soon. It's a shame how dynamic the OP is in comparison to the actual episode content but, to be fair, the action isn't as much of a draw as the politicking.

Taruranto

^Balaban's arc is really good, that's probably the best part of the manga.

Uh? Do you have some examples?

Narag

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 13 FIN

Totally what I didn't need after all that Bojack Horseman today. A-part of this episode was so evocative of that property in how things played out. Kobayashi's been a mess for a while now with Tohru becoming this stabilizing force in her life and to lose her like that was something that threatened Kobayashi with regression. I hadn't really bought into the domestic side of things as genuine for most of the show. Yeah, it was nice to see Kobayashi, Tohru, and Kanna do things together but I felt like there was a piece missing.

I think it was episode 11, possibly 10, where Tohru won the kotatsu after the yellow marble came out of the garapon. At the end of the episode, there's a scene where Kobayashi finally gets the orange peel in the trash, they congratulate one another, and she recalls that same yellow marble. There's a sense of epiphany on her part and that she finally realized how lucky she was to now be in her current situation. For me, that little scene let their relationship advance from imitation to something so very genuine. That's what made the beginning of this episode so rough.

The Bojack allusion I brought up is apparent here as Tohru's absence is handled in much the same way Bojack characters were forced to handle their own personal crises. There's no magic word or wish that'll fix the situation. If anything, Tohru was the embodiment of that notion and she's now gone. Tangible frustration exists as Kobayashi can't stop to wallow in self-pity or run away from the issue especially with Kanna still in her care. She's forced to trudge forward through the daily drudgery, too busy for her own good with her increased responsibility and left with little else to do but offer up some sad regret in her rare downtime in what was now a very ordinary life. It was frustrating because things fell apart for her through no action of her own. Life sucks and you just have to deal with it. Neither Kobayashi nor myself truly appreciated Tohru as we ought to have until she was gone with nothing illustrating this better than removing her from the title card is uncomfortable since ii's a disruption of a normalcy established across twelve other episodes. Without Tohru, something was missing once again.

Tohru had her own issues this episode. There's a bit of conversation that caught me off guard when Kobayashi complimented Tohru on her tea. She thought it was great and that dragons were amazing. Torhu responded that it had nothing to do with dragons but that it had to do with her which was something so unlike Tohru would normally say. She's a dragon, she's proud of it, and for twelve episodes, she's done nothing but remind the viewer about how amazing dragons really are compared to humans. Tohru didn't do this here. Instead of being proud of what she is, she was proud of who she is. She would always be a dragon but had begun to dissociate that heritage from her daily life as she embraced this newfound identiy. The followup to this was also good when a short time later her internal doubt manifests itself as her dragon form and attacks her feelings towards Kobayashi. This doubt s such an overbearing presence that it threatens to engulf her yet she endures before external forces take her away form Kobayashi.

When they're finally reunited, I felt a sense of relief. I realized how wrong it was for them to be apart and how disruptive any sort of future separation would be. Both had drifted through life in one manner or another, each capable of getting by on their own, yet they complement one another so well, they deserve to be together. Apart they can do what needs done and handle the myriad possibilities of the future, but together,I have a sense that they might be able to handle the impossibilities too.

Narag

Sekai no Yami Zukan 11

Felt like a good approach to Easter Island-esque mysteries. Last few of these have been great.

DNAbro

Made in Abyss 10
Even if I knew this was coming that was goddamn rough. VA's really sold that performance.

My Hero Academia 22

Okay episode. Momo is cool.

Pooya

I recently watched a Kdrama, School 2017. The actors in that are about 25 yo but they totally pass as high school students, I was actually surprised to see they're that old. With smart casting and good make up you can make it work, none of that seem to be happening here.

I can't buy into that Chitanda and Oreki. It doesn't work.

edit: If you like Hyouka you will probably enjoy School 2017, it's pretty much same thing. The story might be mundane but the cast sell it really well and you will love them. Probably better than this live action hyouka.

blurr

My Hero Academia 35

MHA does some notable attempts to elevate its female cast but boy does this one fall flat towards the end. Aizawa lets loose pitying Yaoyorozu's foiled plan, it is just implied but that's still pretty disappointing.

Uraraka's half episode battle was better, while it still ended up with her failing it is alright (I do wish she won though). Yaoyorozu's started off well and went to a predictable albeit interesting enough direction and then they really had to pull the rug with Aizawa towards the end. Heck, Aizawa is pretty much the last person you'd expect to do something like that. What a disappointing episode.

You know, most series feel like they have a point of origin you can usually identify, because it feels like the place where all the underlying themes come to fruition. It's not always the end, but it normally comes at the narrative's emotional climax. This episode feels like it finally reveals the truth behind the purpose of the entire series: it's not just a cool battle royal with a meta twist, it's not just a commentary on the industry today, it's...
a story about how creation can help preserve the lives of those we lose, about the immortalizing power of the creator to allow those they create from their memories to live on in the hearts of others forever
. And for all its many faults, I feel the show really nailed that here, and it makes me forgive it for a lot that it managed to get to this point without the narrative string-pulling necessary feeling like it pulled you out of the story too much that you didn't care. Well done, Hiroe-san. Well done.

Thud

Chie the Brat (1981)

A downtown story featuring a small kid named Chie and her dumb ass good for nothing dad Tetsu. Chie is actually a strong kid that looks out for both her parents.

It's remarkable that the low key angle never gets boring. There's always something enjoyable to watch as the film moves from family drama to family comedy. In between we have Narag battle Tetsu and other cats.

Chase17

Re: Creators 21
This was pretty well done. I had some doubts that Sota's role in the series would lead to a satisfactory payoff, but they really nailed how he played into the climax of the show.

Altair had a couple great "shook" faces the last two episodes. I love the cuts to the audience who should probably be confused but are super into it.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hey all. I've been thinking about picking up a new show and people recommended Made in Abyss and Kakegurui. I checked on MAL and it seems like their respective mangas are still ongoing. Does that mean these shows won't really have an ending and may potentially get a second season? I'd rather wait until they end (or get dropped from adaptions) before I start them.

Thanks!

DNAbro

Hey all. I've been thinking about picking up a new show and people recommended Made in Abyss and Kakegurui. I checked on MAL and it seems like their respective mangas are still ongoing. Does that mean these shows won't really have an ending and may potentially get a second season? I'd rather wait until they end (or get dropped from adaptions) before I start them.

Thanks!

they won't get another season any time soon, there is not enough content in either series.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
they won't get another season any time soon, there is not enough content in either series.
So what typically happens in these situations? Do they wrap up with a made-up ending or leave you hanging for the next season 5 years from now? Though I suppose the answer I'm expecting is that it's on a case-by-case basis haha.

zulux21

So what typically happens in these situations? Do they wrap up with a made-up ending or leave you hanging for the next season 5 years from now? Though I suppose the answer I'm expecting is that it's on a case-by-case basis haha.

some try to hit a somewhat natural stopping point.

some make up crap.

if they hit a somewhat natural stopping point it is more likely it will get a second season.
most series that get an anime original ending don't get another season.

in general anime is made with the intention to sell merch and get you to read the manga, so lots of shows don't get a second season.

basically if it sells well increase odds of second season.
if it's a weekly shonen jump series increase odds of second season.
if it's shoujo decrease odds of second season.
ect.

Princess Nine 01-05

If I had one complaint about this show so far is how little baseball is actually being played. But I suppose the trade off is that they are putting together a team and picking out each girl per episode while we also learn about those girls. Guess I'm used to the story starts with a full team and you progressively learn about them as time passes.

DNAbro

Kakegurui has a really nice stopping point from what I've read.

Made in Abyss will hopefully make it to the right stopping point. The whole entire purpose of the show won't be resolved though.

This is fun. 12,000 Japanese fans vote for their favorite heroes and heroines over both the Showa and Heisei periods (6000 men, 6000 women, Heisei era has 2000 children, 2000 teenagers, and 2000 people in their 20s, while Showa era has 2000 people in the 30s, 2000 in their 40s, and 2000 in their 50s).

Results:

Showa Era

Strongest Heroes

20. Kinniku Suguru/Kinniku Man (Kinniku Man)
19. Moonlight Mask (Moonlight Mask)
18. Hanamichi Sakuragi (Slam Dunk)
17. Tsubasa Oozora (Captain Tsubasa)
16. Himura Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)
15. Tastuya Uesugi (Touch)
14. Ultra Seven (Ultra Seven)
13. Char Aznable (Mobile Suit Gundam)
12. Captain Harlock (Space Pirate Captain Harlock)
11. Kamen Rider 1 (Kamen Rider)
10. Ryo Saeba (City Hunter)
9. Astro Boy (Astro Boy)
8. Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
7. Anpanman (Soreike! Anpanman)
6. Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)
5. Joe Yabuki (Ahita no Joe)
4. Doraemon (Doraemon)
3. Ultraman (Ultraman)
2. Lupin III (Lupin III)
1. Son Goku (Dragon Ball)
Most Splendid Heroines

20. Kyoko Otonashi (Maison Ikkoku)
19. Anne Yuri (Ultra Seven)
18. Sayla Mass (Mobile Suit Gundam)
17. Saki Asamiya (Sukeban Deka)
16. Doronjo (Yatterman)
15. Arale Norimaki (Dr. Slump)
14. Ayumi Himekawa (Glass Mask)
13. Hitomi Kisugi (Cat’s Eye)
12. Kozue Ayuhara (Attack No. 1)
11. Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
10. Yuki Mori (Space Battleship Yamato)
9. Heidi (Heidi, Girl of the Alps)
8. Nami (One Piece)
7. Cutie Honey (Cutie Honey)
6. Oscar François de Jarjayes (The Rose of Versailles)
5. Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon)
4. Lum (Urusei Yatsura)
3. Maetel (Galaxy Express 999)
2. Minami Asakura (Touch)
1. Fujiko Mine (Lupin III)

Heisei Era

Strongest Heroes

20. Kamen Rider Den-O (Kamen Rider Den-O)
19. Jotaro Kujo (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
18. Inuyasha (Inuyasha)
17. Son Gohan (Dragon Ball)
16. Kirito (Sword Art Online)
15. Himura Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)
14. Roronoa Zoro (One Piece)
13. Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto)
12. Lupin III (Lupin III)
11. Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan)
10. Sakata Gintoki (Gintama)
9. Shinnosuke Nohara (Crayon Shin-chan)
8. Kamen Rider Ex-Aid (Kamen Rider Ex-Aid)
7. Saitama (One Punch Man)
6. Koro Sensei (Assassination Classroom)
5. Conan Edogawa (Case Closed)
4. Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
3. Anpanman (Soreike! Anpanman)
2. Doraemon (Doraemon)
1. Son Goku (Dragon Ball)
Most Splendid Heroines

20. Kiriko Shijima (Kamen Rider Drive)
19. Homura Akemi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
18. Sofia (Sofia the First)
17. Minami Asakura (Touch)
16. Tsukushi Makino (Boys Over Flowers)
15. Asuna Karino/Poppy Pipopapo (Kamen Rider Ex-Aid)
14. Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
13. Ichigo Hoshimiya (Aikatsu!)
12. Asuna (Sword Art Online)
11. Kagura (Gintama)
10. Nico Robin (One Piece)
9. Shizuka Minamoto (Doraemon)
8. Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)
7. Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan)
6. Cure Whip (Kirakira PreCure a la Mode)
5. Ran Mori/Rachel Moore (Case Closed)
4. Boa Hancock (One Piece)
3. Fujiko Mine (Lupin III)
2. Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon)
1. Nami (One Piece)

Welcome to the Ballroom 10

...He says, while being frozen in a still...

Forget sakuga, we don't even have budget to draw properly character that are almost still and are in in the focus of the frame!

When they focus on the dance and not on the characters, it kind of piss me off the fact we still don't know WHAT they are dancing. They do waltz, tango, foxtrot, quickstep... what's the difference? you can't know from what they show!

Taruranto

Re:creators 21

This was whatever.

I kinda wish they had pushed the meta aspect even more, Ever17 style or something. I dunno, the show was at its "best" in the past episodes when it was about trying to get a reaction out of the audience. May as well go full meta and try to have Altair cross over to RL or something.

Aki-at

Virgin Soul - 21

There is no happy ending here for anyone, only bitter depression, sadness and death await. For a series that started off sort of cheery, it's all gone tits up.

Didn't think I'd end up liking this more than the previous series but the ground work, build up and payoff has been done exceptionally well that even though the start didn't sell me, where we're heading has done more than enough to make me re-evaluate how I felt about the opening acts. This episode perfectly illustrates about build up and payoff, laying the ground work with
Meguro's death (What a well shot scene, how chaotic and frantic it was, it was done in such a way I felt Meguro might just pull through until the flatline confirmed his death)
the audience is left sort of numb just like the whole group. Ultimately Nina provides the emotional climax of the episode for us after she breaks down seeing her gift and finally gives her the determination to face Charioce. The direction has been phenomenal, the last 3 episodes are going to hit hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom