• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogs

Neo Member
Kantai Collection 01

Despite dedicating half of its run-time to establishing a peaceful naval base, the show rushed itself into a second half of clumsy warfare. Unfortunately, the conflict was much less fleshed out than life on the naval base. Somehow this modest island paradise was far more fascinating than the unnatural water-ski fighting. The fleet's mostly one-sided bombardment was one step removed from simple showboating, and the speed at which they maneuvered really undermines the nature of naval warfare. Most of the combat was devoid of memorable storyboards, rendering the action rather lackluster. If the animation cuts had been able to carry their weight with noteworthy execution and style, then maybe their focus would have been more welcomed.

The music was at least fitting, if forgettable, except for the strangely sympathetic piece used for the enemy's swan song. While the design work is good, the arming and battle sequences lack the flair to make the most of it. Ultimately, the world created to accommodate its concept isn't as impressive as the concept itself, of which the characters born from it seem to be the real anchor underneath the work.

Poi count: 20

Lain

18if 1-13

What a weird show.
Some episodes were touching and despite the weird technical quality, which I have no idea if it was by choice or because they had a couple shoestrings in all as a budget, I appreciated the art direction (the music was nice too).
I would have liked a few more answers from episode 13.

Made in Abyss END

apLhia8.jpg

The first half was quite painful to watch. I fully admit I teared up at parts of Mitty's story and the realization of the existance she was forced to live since her transformation. I mentioned before Nanachi was pragmatic, yet she's pragmatic in a way that she shouldn't have to be. But life is unfair. This was all driven home when she brought up the fact that one day she will die but Mitty would not, that really stuck with me. The second half was surprisingly hopeful/cheerful despite the overwhelming dour and depressing second half of the series has been, I really enjoyed it. The balloon's journey was top notch.

Overall great show, much better than I expected it to be. This will no doubt be in my top ten.

Mad in Abyss FINALE

God damn, I've never felt so full of despair and yet hopeful for the future all at the same time. This show managed to be thrilling, funny, cute, horrifying, and beautiful all while feeling natural. I only hope it was successful enough to warrant a sequel.

phaze

TBH it's not that much of a nuanced show when it comes to its character writing beyond their self-indulgent characteristic trait. In this case, getting defensive does make sense but it ultimately makes no difference given Jabami goes on to threaten her with the voice recording. From her perspective, it was enough of a threat if this would be a blot on her career, some fans might buy it, some may not. That's too much of a risk for her dream.

Wait. It made all the difference cause if she kept her facade, there would be nothing to record. It's not a big deal but this giant exposition on her life and goals feels just out of place and hilarious for it.

Mad in Abyss FINALE

God damn, I've never felt so full of despair and yet hopeful for the future all at the same time. This show managed to be thrilling, funny, cute, horrifying, and beautiful all while feeling natural. I only hope it was successful enough to warrant a sequel.

I mostly feel the despair as the positive outlooks in that show absolutely pale compared to the extremely horrifying experiences many people have to endure.

What happened to Mitty and all those other kids is already too vile for me to see much light, no matter what else that Abyss may have to offer. Honestly,
I wouldn't blame Nanachi one bit had she decided to commit suicide after all. To see your only friend transform into a grotesque, quasi-immortal blob that then gets frequently tortured and experimented on... I don't think many adults could endure living on after that. On that note, I liked how the show handled all this and I was glad Reg was mature enough to empathize with Nanachi and prevent her suicide, and furthermore, together with Riko, give her a new goal to keep on living.

DNAbro

My Hero Academia S2 25

The worst part of this episode is the fact it's the last for a while. The next two arcs are so goddamn good so I want Season 3 asap. At least that is already announced.

Also S2 Blurays when?

Didnt realize we were getting a second season of The Outcast, though??? https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1669072

Haoliner blamed the poor quality of season 1 on failed collaboration with the Japanese studios. In later episodes they even hired a Chinese studio to modify and expand the Chinese version. Hence the last two episodes of the Chinese version last an hour rather than 40 mins and are considered the "unbutchered" version of Baobao's backstory. Their efforts were appreciated by manhua fans and the Chinese studio got the job for making season 2.

Season 2 will be released with Chinese dubs by the end of October. Given its lukewarm reception in Japan, I don't think a Japanese dubbed version will come out very soon.

:(

Rymuth

Virgin Soul - END

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalled it!

Real thoughts

- Charioce neither being able to see nor hear Nina is kinda fucked up, I guess the writers wanted to punish him as much as possible without taking away his life. I doubt there'd be people satisfied with that

- The music, lawd. How do they get away with making it all so goooood

- Legit shook that Mugaro wasn't revived.

- Bahamut is eternal, Bahamut is life!

duckroll

I did find the end more satisfying than I did S1. Really not keen on the suggestion that Favaro should have sacrificed the world to save Amira though.

That's not the suggestion at all. It's not a statement that Favaro should have made a different choice, but that the choice he had at the time was not one he liked making. He regrets being in that position, not making the choice. Nina's situation is different, and she can make a different choice because the circumstances allow it. It might not be the choice the "world" wants to see though, because Charioce definitely did the world wrong, but Nina can reject what people think or want for her own happiness if she so chooses it, without ending the world.

Tuck

Hero Academia - Season 2 - END
I just want to reiterate what a lame idea "the league of villains" is (I'm pretty sure OPM had a similar league, but that entire show is a parody, so it works. here, where we're supposed to take things seriously, it doesn't work so well). Certainly, having a name that took more than 5 seconds to think up would help, but Shigaraki is a completely uninteresting waste of time, and the league thus far has posed very minimal threat. They just stand around talking.

I think thats a bigger problem than I first realized. We know these villains too well. We see them talking too much. I was thinking about the end of season 1 of avatar the last airbender, where we see Fire Load Ozai, just briefly, deliver one simple but chilling sentence. Then in the movie, M Night turned that scene into a casual conversation between the fire lord (who just looked like a normal guy) and Azula. The tension and threat of the scene was ruined, because it wasn't presented well. Thats what the league of villains is.

The conversation between Shiragaki and Deku is closer to what the villains ened to be: terrifying. It was easily the highly of the episode; an episode that was otherwise filled with boring anime tropes (they're going to training camp... hurray...?)

Overall, this was fine. Just fine. The height of this season was Todoroki's arc and the first tournament, which was a lot of fun due to interesting matchups. Stain's arc was alright as well. Unfortunately, everything in between the good stuff edges very close to the generic forgetableness that was season 1. Unfortunately, I think that will just be par for the course going forward since the series is tied too heavily to the academy.

Digimon Adventure Tri Episode 18 Coexistence Part 1

The anime tries to make things dramatic and intense but kind of fails a bit, the start seemed to make it seem very intense but I think they did better in previous episodes when more destruction and action was shown, though maybe the digimon appearing all over the place could have been better if they actually showed them being massive and walking through cities like a few previous Digimon series.

For the protagonists, I did like in the world when they were running and the mountain appeared, then disappeared sending them tumbling down, and also Friendship levels are increasing!

Digimon Adventure Tri Episode 19 - Coexistence Part 2

Okay the geothermal plant explosions resolved my concern with part 1, and also Taichi and co appearing back in the real world and having to face the police was great too .This episode felt like it went by incredibly fast.

Virgin Soul - END

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalled it!

Real thoughts

- Charioce neither being able to see nor hear Nina is kinda fucked up, I guess the writers wanted to punish him as much as possible without taking away his life. I doubt there'd be people satisfied with that

- The music, lawd. How do they get away with making it all so goooood

- Legit shook that Mugaro wasn't revived.

- Bahamut is eternal, Bahamut is life!

Man this show was disappointing in so many ways, at least in comparison to the 1st season. I did not feel bad for Charioce nor Nina as I feel like everything Charioce did could've been avoided if he had just told them his plans from the get go.

If they do decide to make another season I hope it focuses on Favaro, did not like Nina as an MC at least towards the later episodes.

Deadly

ideally we will just get a 24-26 episode season every spring until a year after the manga ends :p

I think that's the ideal way shonen shows should proceed tbh. I think that's how Gintama does it too right? You avoid the animation shitshows that can happen and the filler.

jett

D-Member
My Hero Academia Season 2

Well it ended. This show has some ardent fans, but other than some select scenes here and there, it's just okay for me.

Got no anime to watch. Just waiting for the JoJo announcement that never comes. :(

blurr

Wait. It made all the difference cause if she kept her facade, there would be nothing to record. It's not a big deal but this giant exposition on her life and goals feels just out of place and hilarious for it.

Right. I recalled it wrongly, thought it was from a previous moment before she met Jabami (after the meet and greet).

Anyways, as I mentioned, it's got little going for its character writing and that's not where it stands out.

Digimon Adventure Tri Episode 20 - Coexistence Part 3

That scary story part was lol, Yamato's reactions were the best.

The digivolution song has grown on me over the two? or three years this digimon has been with us.

lbsa

Man this show was disappointing in so many ways, at least in comparison to the 1st season. I did not feel bad for Charioce nor Nina as I feel like everything Charioce did could've been avoided if he had just told them his plans from the get go.

If they do decide to make another season I hope it focuses on Favaro, did not like Nina as an MC at least towards the later episodes.

For the sake of the story you sometimes have to make your characters do things that form a viewer's perspective make no sense . Where's the drama if Charioce just tells the good guys his plans?

DNAbro

Hero Academia - Season 2 - END
I just want to reiterate what a lame idea "the league of villains" is (I'm pretty sure OPM had a similar league, but that entire show is a parody, so it works. here, where we're supposed to take things seriously, it doesn't work so well). Certainly, having a name that took more than 5 seconds to think up would help, but Shigaraki is a completely uninteresting waste of time, and the league thus far has posed very minimal threat. They just stand around talking.

I think thats a bigger problem than I first realized. We know these villains too well. We see them talking too much. I was thinking about the end of season 1 of avatar the last airbender, where we see Fire Load Ozai, just briefly, deliver one simple but chilling sentence. Then in the movie, M Night turned that scene into a casual conversation between the fire lord (who just looked like a normal guy) and Azula. The tension and threat of the scene was ruined, because it wasn't presented well. Thats what the league of villains is.

The conversation between Shiragaki and Deku is closer to what the villains ened to be: terrifying. It was easily the highly of the episode; an episode that was otherwise filled with boring anime tropes (they're going to training camp... hurray...?)

Overall, this was fine. Just fine. The height of this season was Todoroki's arc and the first tournament, which was a lot of fun due to interesting matchups. Stain's arc was alright as well. Unfortunately, everything in between the good stuff edges very close to the generic forgetableness that was season 1. Unfortunately, I think that will just be par for the course going forward since the series is tied too heavily to the academy.

The series is as much about the students growing as heroes as it is the League/Shigaraki growing as villains. I think you will be more than pleasantly surprised at the next season.

Digimon Adventure tri Episode 21 - Coexistence Part 4

Pretty epic conclusion
though Yamato having no emotion??? Surprisde no one called him out for just saying move on and basically forget about Taichi...though he did put on the googles, sweet

Bring on the next set.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
New KyoAni movie

I'm a bit surprised they're going for another Central Europe-like setting after Violet Evergarden.

Also, it's apparently written by Euphonium's author.

Apparently they announced 2 films?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ls-teaser-video-poster-april-21-debut/.122085

Kyoto Animation opened a website on Saturday for the first of two planned all-new anime films in the Sound! Euphonium franchise.

The second film will tell the story of Kumiko Ōmae and others as second-year students. Tatsuya Ishihara(both seasons of Sound! Euphonium) is directing that film.

There's also this bit:

Takeda is writing a two-part sequel novel to her Sound! Euphonium novels. Similar to the two new films for the franchise, the new story takes place during Kumiko's second year, and Mizore's third year in high school. The story features new first year characters. The first volume shipped in August and the second volume will ship in October.

blurr

My Hero Academia 38

Sets the stage for the next season, it's a sham there was so much buzz and fan art on Toga but she's barely done anything.

I'm pretty keen on reading the manga frankly.

Jex

As someone who is always interested in KyoAni's output, but not really into Sound! Euphonium, this news doesn't really thrill me.

Of course, they're still working on other properties that do interest me, so I can't complain too much.
With this season thread not even getting a OT2, I think we should form a thread idol group to repopulate animeGAF with new junior members!
What I find strange about the slowness of the current thread is that OT itself seems to be infected by anime threads lately.

duckroll

Tadakun wa Koi wo Shinai is a brand new original anime from the anime team that made the adaptation of Nozaki-kun: http://tadakoi.tv/

I guess this means we're not getting any new Nozaki-kun anime anytime soon. :(

But this looks really good!

Chronos Ruler Episode 13 (end)

This was so fun and Im glad Blaze stuck around he's so funny and great in his own special way.

I think they should have explained
how Victor managed to get back, but I loved that part since iri finally called him Dad

Andrew J.

MHA S2 25

I wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me that Shigaraki looked creepier without a disembodied hand gripping his face, but here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom