• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

vHzUZZn.png
Good song.

Laiza

Made in Abyss - 13 (Final)

Incredible. Certainly, there was no shortage of despair and suffering to be found here, but the whole mystery surrounding the Abyss continues to stoke the fires of my curiosity to new heights. More than anything else, I want to see more - and I hope to the high heavens that we do see a second season, as the adaptation has just been a stellar effort overall.

That said... Mitty's backstory was... difficult to watch. I actually flinched and looked away from the screen at certain points, and that hardly ever happens. I wonder if that'll keep happening if they adapt the series further. Well, gotta hope it gets greenlit for a second season first, and even then, there has to be enough material, so we'll be waiting for quite some time if it ever happens.

I won't necessarily call it a masterpiece, but it's up there. It's at least up within that vicinity. We'll see how I feel about it after a rewatch down the line.

Szadek

Nogi Wakaba is a Hero

what in the fuck

This shit makes Madoka Magica look tame and lighthearted by comparison.

Why didn’t this get a movie or TV series?

This is pretty much required reading for Yuki Yuna Season 2.
Good to hear. I guess it will probably get animated at some point, since the series was popular enough to get a sequel.

Laiza

Nogi Wakaba is a Hero

what in the fuck

This shit makes Madoka Magica look tame and lighthearted by comparison.

Why didn’t this get a movie or TV series?

This is pretty much required reading for Yuki Yuna Season 2.
Well, now I'm curious...

Season 2 is at least adapting the prequel LN about Washio Sumi (though I wonder how much of it will just be a recap of the movies), but the fact that Wakaba's takes place 300 years earlier is eyebrow-raising. Hmmm.

Sakura Quest 25 - End

I like shows that have conclusive endings. While not as good as Shirbako, the middle arc of SQ seemed to kinda drag it definitely got better towards the end. Guessing no one else watched this through to the end huh?

Where did Yoshino end up working at the end, didn't look like the original hometown or was it? The sendoff scene reminded me of the end of Persona 4.

Looked kinda like a town in Okinawa or something. I know a lot of people got bored of Sakura Quest early on, but I thought it was a nice slow burn that wraps up nicely in the end. It might not reach the highs of Shirobako, but it's still a good series

blurr

Made in Abyss 05

Getting back to this after a while and as much I like the story telling and the characters, there's some things about its world that I do not like. Not in a sense that the show is doing something wrong but that it's just really the way it is. The show's attempt to sell us on the wonder and glory of the Abyss is at least partly nullified by the threat and the rather cruel nature of the world(particularly towards the kids).

That's likely intended and it's not entirely incomprehensible but it leaves little to hope for the otherwise lovable cast in an optimistic sense. Is this grand mystery behind the Abyss worth all they go through? At this point that's the little bit of detail I find myself thinking about more than anything.

Let's put aside all that and just take in the show visually - indeed, there's no room for disappointment with its beautiful background work and generally neat animation
until it decides to make a scene out of a topless Riko for longer than necessary(if at all it was)
. There was thankfully some great background score during one segment of this episode with no dialogue that I really liked and I can understand the buzz around it getting an official release.

More importantly, Ozen is finally here.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gamers! 12

I'm gonna miss these funny idiots.

Goddamn Aguri is fucking burying these guys
KuGsj.gif

nFGTrFA.png

Im5WcaW.png

Great episode, I was dying from the dialogue the entire time. Also L-O-L at doing a goddamn pandering as fuck furo scene in the middle of a bunch of actually funny dialogue. I kind of feel like they're leaving the door open it might sell well enough to hit a second season of it, actually. I'm not sure how successful it was, but the whole, "resolve the plot then just do something funny" thing kind of seemed that way. I rather hope they do even if I never get my hopes up in anime.

The random gags with Tendou being thirsty as fuck had me rolling too.

Good to hear. I guess it will probably get animated at some point, since the series was popular enough to get a sequel.

There’s a bonus chapter as well which I think is gonna get adapted in YuYuYu S2.

The way it goes honestly makes me afraid Nogi Wakaba is just going to get a summary in S2 rather than an adaptation.

Well, now I'm curious...

Season 2 is at least adapting the prequel LN about Washio Sumi (though I wonder how much of it will just be a recap of the movies), but the fact that Wakaba's takes place 300 years earlier is eyebrow-raising. Hmmm.

It’s nuts. I don’t want to spoil it, but the general plot of the “Is a Hero” franchise is basically a crazy mix of Attack on Titan and the second half of Gurren Lagann.

You know how people complain how Yuki Yuna felt like a rip off of Madoka at times? With the way it starts off all innocent and sweet before the SUFFERING starts?

Nogi Wakaba, right from the first chapter, drops any pretense of happiness and just has the SUFFERING dial cranked up to 11 throughout the entire damn story.

Daemul

Yuru Yuri Season 1 and Season 2

Having caught up on my backlog of this years anime, there was just one anime I needed to go back and watch before I was done with the past, one I've been meaning to watch for years due to the phenomenal WoM it has(even on places like MAL whose userbase usually hates these types of anime), but never got around to. Yuru Yuri.

This series has three seasons(with a 4th probably on the way) and three OVA's, one of which is movie length, but I just going to focus on the first two seasons for now because they were done by a different studio(Doga Kobo) to what did the OVA's and season 3 (TYO Animations).

So far it's been an amazing ride, the series really is as good as people have said it is. I thought that K-On was the peak of it's genre, but Yuri Yuri is giving it a run for it's money so far, and even surpassing it. The comedy is phenomenal(I haven't laughed this much in a long time), the characters and their characters are phenomenal, the story is simple yet does it's job and is thus very enjoyable and the anime in general is just extremely fun to watch.

As the title of the show gives away, this show features yuri, a lot of yuri. Unlike other shows of this mold which are often accused of being yuri bait, the same accusation cannot apply to this show, which makes it clear from day one that the series is about the relationships between the female characters and how they develop romantically. The Yuru Yuri manga is even published in the same magazine that publishes works such as Citrus and NTR: Netsuzou Trap, so the usual "B-b-bu-but, they are just very close friends" reasoning that is often used can be thrown out of the window immediately.

I'm excited to watch the rest of this series, mainly to see how the studio change affected it. Season 3 is ranked higher than the previous seasons so at the moment I assume it was a good transition, but I'll have to watch it and see for myself.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Made in Abyss Episode 13:

I think I need to watch something a tad relentlessly dark and depressing now, like a season of Bojack Horseman, or maybe just stare at a wall for a few hours.

phaze

Made in Abyss Episode 13:

I think I need to watch something a tad relentlessly dark and depressing now, like a season of Bojack Horseman or maybe just stare at a wall for a few hours.

Pssssst Shard, can I interest you in some Shigurui ?

Kakegurui 08

Is this idol girl alright ? She just spewed out spewed out long ass expeditionary rant and her life story to someone, enemy even, she met 30 seconds before.

Made in Abyss 13 END

Good way to top things off. Kinda thought Nanachi
surprised Nanachi didn't off herself in the last part as things seemed to be leading up to that.

I love her "Naaaaaaa"

blurr

Kakegurui 08

Is this idol girl alright ? She just spewed out spewed out long ass expeditionary rant and her life story to someone, enemy even, she met 30 seconds before.

because a lot went on the line for her in those 30 seconds......

Dave1988

Really good way to end the season. Overall, this has been a fantastic adaptation and I hope we'll get a season 2 somewhere down the line.

Something about the world of Made in Abyss that I find myself surprised by is how these White Whistle folks aren't just some very skilled cave raiders, they're basically institutions with lots of subordinates, expensive structures, equipment, and artifacts.

It's not bad, though it feels more like they're some sort of anime endboss rather than some relatively grounded people, which just isn't sth the first few episodes really established. It was only when the Black Whistle guy went after Riko and Reg with seemingly supernatural speed that I got a faint idea what might be in store there.

Qurupeke

Made In Abyss [END]
Best Dad indeed, I knew Bondrewd would be cool, in a very horrendous way. The voice actor seemed like a perfect fit too, frighteningly so.

The finale was excellent, definitely the series' strongest episode, but I can't help it and feel that I want more of the series. It kind of seems like a big halfpoint for the whatever the future holds. I really, really hope there are plans for a S2 eventually.

Also, Nanachi is the best. Glad she's coming with them. Her constantly smug face is a blessing.

Made In Abyss [END]

Best Dad indeed, I knew Bondrewd would be cool, in a very horrendous way. The voice actor seemed like a perfect fit too, frighteningly so.

The finale was excellent, definitely the series' strongest episode, but I can't help it and feel that I want more of the series. It kind of seems like a big halfpoint for the whatever the future holds. I really, really hope there are plans for a S2 eventually.

Also, Nanachi is the best. Glad she's coming with them. Her constantly smug face is a blessing.

The way it concludes really feels like it's bucking for that S2, specially with the focus on Bondrewd as we fade out. I think it's entirely just a question of whether the money is there or not. Do we know how it's been received in Japan?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Speaking of random LN adaptations that never got finished, I was wondering what happened to SNAFU/Oregairu and I went to look it up.

Season 2 covered through LN Volume 11.

LN Volume 12 came out last week.

TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif

The way it concludes really feels like it's bucking for that S2, specially with the focus on Bondrewd as we fade out. I think it's entirely just a question of whether the money is there or not. Do we know how it's been received in Japan?

No where near enough material for a second season right now; the anime covers through chapter 38, there are only about 7-13 (hard to give an exact estimate right now since I can't find the RAW chapter count) chapters that haven't been covered by the anime.

Qurupeke

Virgin Soul [END]

I'm glad it's a happy ending, but lol, it could have been a lot better. The strength of the series was its characters, even on the final episode this is quite apparent as the dynamics between Charioce and Nina completely outshine anything. And like the first series, the epic final battle and the whole Bahamut thing isn't interesting and it acts like a necessary plot development for the finale, with little to no substance. Also, I'm still very disappointed Charioce wasn't punished at all for all his, unexplained, crimes. This feels like a serious issue on the writing, it's basically the focus of the first half and what drives the events of the second half. I can't believe they barely address that, even if he ends up as a hero.

Also, Rita
is a fucking psychopath.

Pooya

bahamut sucked, so disappointing. I don't know what they were thinking with this as a sequel to a fantasy adventure. So much waste. Characters were likable but this is not what I wanted from this series... meh.

Speaking of random LN adaptations that never got finished, I was wondering what happened to SNAFU/Oregairu and I went to look it up.

Season 2 covered through LN Volume 11.

LN Volume 12 came out last week.

Yeah watari took a long time to finish volume 12 though he did confirm that 13 and 14 will be the last volumes. It probably wont take as long as the theory is that he took extra time to see where he wants the story to go.

Vigamox

The last episode of Made in Abyss was so good. I've read the manga beforehand, but even then it was still an amazing watch, from the music to the animation, and that beautiful ending montage.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yuru Yuri Season 1 and Season 2

I'm excited to watch the rest of this series, mainly to see how the studio change affected it. Season 3 is ranked higher than the previous seasons so at the moment I assume it was a good transition, but I'll have to watch it and see for myself.

I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far.

I don't want to colour your judgement before you watch it so
I can only assume series 3 is rated higher simply because only fans of the show watched it so it didn't get much negativity from those who don't like this type of show which the first series would have suffered from, because around here, it was seen as a bit disappointing compared to the excellent first two series.

Also hello to UK Distributors: I'm still waiting for my BD release!

Angry Grimace

Yeah watari took a long time to finish volume 12 though he did confirm that 13 and 14 will be the last volumes. It probably wont take as long as the theory is that he took extra time to see where he wants the story to go.

I'll expect them out around the same time Winds of Winter comes out.

No where near enough material for a second season right now; the anime covers through chapter 38, there are only about 7-13 (hard to give an exact estimate right now since I can't find the RAW chapter count) chapters that haven't been covered by the anime.

It’s a monthly series right? I guess if they started work a year and a half from now there’d be enough new material by then. Ooph though that’s a real wait considering where we left off.

Jintor

She had a cameo when Gouda's gf was jealous over him speaking to girls but that's it.

i noticed apathetic girl of the apathetic pair was also in the BG

man it sucks, half the skit pairingss i love aren't in this season. instead we get SGC redpilling his gf

Shergal

It's a monthly series right? I guess if they started work a year and a half from now there'd be enough new material by then. Ooph though that's a real wait considering where we left off.

Not really monthly, that's the best-case scenario

Also the anime covers up to chapter 26, not 38 (out of 42 total). Still wouldn't be enough for a s2

icedragon08

Neo Member

The Anime covers through chapter 26 and the latest chapter is 43, so if we get lucky it will take 3/4 of a year until we have enough material for S2, if they'll do the same pacing (chapter a released when they are done, mostly 1 to 2 month between chapters). Some of the uncovert chapters have about 40 pages and some of the ealier ones have less than 20 so chapter count is not always helpful.

Really want to see a second season because of the material it will cover.

Not really monthly, that's the best-case scenario

Also the anime covers up to chapter 26, not 38 (out of 42 total). Still wouldn't be enough for a s2

Wow, I assumed they would of covered up to Best Dad's ending point....I was wondering why no one was mentioning certain things. Also had a minor brain fart for the past....8 weeks thinking that arc was much smaller vol/chapter wise then it really is. Well, if they do give us a second season you all will see the true Best Dad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I'm LTTP, but for some reason they made a CG Starship Troopers sequel to that one from a few years ago (from the studio that did the Appleseed CG movies):
59aXUK2l.jpg

I guess Rico is just Solid Snake now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom