• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Made in Abyss 13 FIN
exM7N1wl.png

Positively lovely way to conclude the series but I expected some real despair going by all the reactions i saw. Ending montage was hands down the best thing to come out of show. It actually reminded me of Jexhiius' criticism of the normal ED and I figure the balloon surviving its own impossible journey somewhat mirrors that ED (albeit a little more subded) in that despite how awful of a place the Abyss is, it's not all terrible and how maybe there's just a little hope to be had in the end.

Chances of season 2 Made in Abyss? Really loved the ending, it was very emotional, Nanachi is such good vibes she didn't deserve anything that happened to her.

RangerBAD

Made in Abyss 13 FIN

Positively lovely way to conclude the series but I expected some real despair going by all the reactions i saw. Ending montage was hands down the best thing to come out of show. It actually reminded me of Jexhiius' criticism of the normal ED and I figure the balloon surviving its own impossible journey somewhat mirrors that ED (albeit a little more subded) in that despite how awful of a place the Abyss is, it's not all terrible and how maybe there's just a little hope to be had in the end.

I think it reflects the enduring spirits of Riko, Reg and Nanachi. Something they had all gained by the end.

I knew going into this episode it would be hard, and it was.
I'll admit I cried during the whole lead up and after Mitty's death.
This was such a good show and there were some difficult moments in it. I really loved it. Hopefully Kinema Citrus can get the same staff together to make another season. Does the hiatus point of the manga correspond with where the anime ended?

Washio Sumi is a Hero - Friends

Well I kept telling myself not to watch these until S2 started, but eh, I'm sure S2 will have some differences from the movies.

Anyway, this is more akin to Yuki Yuna is a Hero so far than it is akin to Nogi Wakaba.

Sonoko and Gin are great. The lighthearted moments in this are so good.

Laiza

Made in Abyss 13 FIN

Well, I lost my patience and read the manga after the conclusion and...

Yeah, the worst has yet to be adapted.
I still feel sick to my stomach hours after reading it.

I think it reflects the enduring spirits of Riko, Reg and Nanachi. Something they had all gained by the end.

I knew going into this episode it would be hard, and it was.
I'll admit I cried during the whole lead up and after Mitty's death.
This was such a good show and there were some difficult moments in it. I really loved it. Hopefully Kinema Citrus can get the same staff together to make another season. Does the hiatus point of the manga correspond with where the anime ended?
The anime ends at midway through chapter 26, and the hiatus happened at chapter 42.

If a season 2 gets greenlit, don't expect an announcement for at least a year. If we're lucky.

Jintor

starship troopers cg series was so dope. that opening is still amazing. i know it almost entirely lost the satire and became this really depressing and futile war series with hints of frustrations at an uncaring bureaucracy of warfare, but it was still amazing.

i've tried to rewatch it once a few years ago... i wonder if it's on netflix

firehawk12

Subete no aware
starship troopers cg series was so dope. that opening is still amazing. i know it almost entirely lost the satire and became this really depressing and futile war series with hints of frustrations at an uncaring bureaucracy of warfare, but it was still amazing.

i've tried to rewatch it once a few years ago... i wonder if it's on netflix
I remember being really salty that they ran out of money/time and couldn't finish it. They basically gave away the ending on a DVD commentary. lol

RangerBAD

Well, I lost my patience and read the manga after the conclusion and...

Yeah, the worst has yet to be adapted.
I still feel sick to my stomach hours after reading it.

The anime ends at midway through chapter 26, and the hiatus happened at chapter 42.

If a season 2 gets greenlit, don't expect an announcement for at least a year. If we're lucky.

I just wanted to know where to start if I happened to read it.

Silvawuff

Made in Abyss was a real treat. It follows the manga almost religiously, which I think is a good thing. I'm happy to see the last episode was longer and covered what it did, and I think it ended at a good spot in the story.

I also read ahead and...this season was happy fun fun time
compared to what's ahead. I felt sick for days after reading it, too. It's a lovely mix of fascination and horror that's addictive. Here's hoping for another season!

Tuck

Made in Abyss - END
Wow, what an episode. So much happened.
The backstory was fantastic,
the death scene was fantastic, Riko's perspective on Mitty was fantastic and the ending montage was fantastic.
the first three really captured the dispair the show has got going on for the past few episodes, and the ending montage captured the wonder of the abyss.

Unfortunately, the episode was brought down significantly - like the rest of the show - the episode was brought down by totally out of place and unwelcome jail-bait fanservice. A shame - those moments edited out of the show would elevate the entire thing.

Lets hope we get a season 2. And lets hope Riko stops being such a horrible main character after her brush with death.

Also, re: Mitty
there were other lights out. Which means some of those other poor kids somehow reached death as well. I wonder how - the bad dude guy wasn't able to kill any of them, and he wants to know how Nanachi did it, so maybe others escaped?.

Alric

Made in Abyss, god damn this show. I really hope it's renewed for a season 2. This was seriously the surpise stand out anime this year for myself.

Rahxephon 7

I liked the scene in which the reporter tried to pry Haruka's uncle for information over a game of shogi, with the flow of the game reflecting his ineffectual attempts. It's a better use for the shogi/chess metaphor than a lot of other instances.

daveo42

Banned
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul - END

I think I would have loved this ending as opposed to just tolerate it if
Charioce wasn't a genocidal maniac, Nina didn't lose her voice for a genocidal maniac, and basically saying Favaro made the wrong choice at the end of Genesis.
At least there were some silver linings for some, like
Nina being with Charioce (though still fuck that guy), Charioce being blind (thanks genocide), and Rita getting her Zombie Kaiser.
Goddamn did I call that last one, even if it's a bit fucked.

Hopefully whatever they end up doing for season 3 is better than what we got in season 2. Virgin Soul was personally a letdown in most ways from Genesis. But the wind still blows towards tomorrow, a place where we can put this season behind us.

sasuke_91

I watched Kimi no Na Wa. yesterday and am really surprised. I expected the movie to be good considering all the hype and success, sure, but I disliked Makoto Shinkai movies up until now. The only redeeming quality that 5cm per second had for me where the last few seconds of the movie and Garden of Words was super pretty, but the content of the movie was rather forgettable. This one is different though. This is by far the best Shinkai movie I've seen. In fact, I can safely say that this is one of the best anime movies I've seen until now.
The animation was superb, as was the soundtrack. I liked both the main characters and found the story and its take on a teen romance interesting and engaging. I feel like I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to leave a few words about it on here.

Concerning the current season, I'm watching Gamers, Made in Abyss and Tsurezure Children. Anything else that is considered a "must watch"?

My Hero Academia 37

I know there's a third season coming, but I think I'm done with this series (barring any more Froppy-focused episodes). This is perhaps an unfair comparison, but having watched Made in Abyss earlier I can't help but feel the gap in quality between that show's excellence and this show's half-hearted production. Sure, there's good action animation at times (not too much this episode though), but the overall direction is so limp. And those appallingly ugly backgrounds! There's still some interesting elements in the story, if imperfectly realized, but I think if I feel like seeing more of that it would be better for me to go read the manga.

LotusHD

Banned
My Hero Academia 37

I know there's a third season coming, but I think I'm done with this series (barring any more Froppy-focused episodes). This is perhaps an unfair comparison, but having watched Made in Abyss earlier I can't help but feel the gap in quality between that show's excellence and this show's half-hearted production. Sure, there's good action animation at times (not too much this episode though), but the overall direction is so limp. And those appallingly ugly backgrounds! There's still some interesting elements in the story, if imperfectly realized, but I think if I feel like seeing more of that it would be better for me to go read the manga.

Well duh

That said, there are some things in the 3rd season that I cannot wait to see animated.

blurr

Made in Abyss 06

Ozen is here and she's the much needed entity that would change the course of Riko's journey if this episode is anything to go by. If not the destination, it's the reason that might change or reinforce.

Narag

My Hero Academia S2 24

That was really underwhelming for something that should've been exciting and a high point of the series. Ready for this to be over, I guess. It's been a nice ride but past the Stan arc and the Yutapon cuts, I'm not sure how memorable this will be long term.

daveo42

Banned
Made in Abyss - END

Mitty and Nanachi's backstory was something I wasn't prepared for.
Bondrewd basically torturing orphans to figure out the secrets of the sixth (and final?) layer of the Abyss...fuck...

I shed a few tears during that fateful decent and then looked on in horror at the fruit of Evil Daft Punk's loins. That "loss of humanity" made me ill. The rest of the stuff with MItty and Nanachi was absolutely heartbreaking. Including the fact that Nanachi was totally going to kill herself once Mitty could finally find peace in death.
I think the only bad part of the episode was the
healing bath bit
but even then that wasn't too bad. It was nice to have something there to break the tension.

I liked how things wrapped up and desperately hope and pray to the anime gods that this gets an OVA or another season. Riko might be a mess and a liability, Reg has his own "mechanical" and memory issues, but the world, characters, and mystery around the Abyss make me want to see their journey to its conclusion.

Bondrewd looked like bad news from second one and you know that anyone who holds out both arms like a pastor all the time has absolutely no good intentions

Also his name is fucking Bone Druid. Thats like being a Blood Mage, a Death Knight or a Flesh Sculptor. That second word sounds reasonable enough, but combined with the first thats just a bad look

Bondrewd looked like bad news from second one and you know that anyone who holds out both arms like a pastor all the time has absolutely no good intentions

Also his name is fucking Bone Druid. Thats like being a Blood Mage, a Death Knight or a Flesh Sculptor. That second word sounds reasonable enough, but combined with the first thats just a bad look

Yet 10-year old you would've gone with him, at least if he stepped onto you prior!

Narag

Kakegurui 12 FIN

Expected something far worse and yeah, the game was lackluster (nearly all were), but the ending satisfied me well enough. I think it's easy to project our own prejudices onto characters and it becomes difficult to grasp that Jabami was never intent on beating the prez (at least from what the anime presented) but rather to simply gamble with her. Winning and losing were secondary as she demonstrated throughout the show. It was all about the thrill of the hunt for them. The end result might be a little too neat thought but I assume it was presented as is in order to leave an opening for a future second season if necessary. In the end, it's incredibly amusing to me to see a protagonist enter a world of battling, not to upend the status quo for one virtuous reason or another, but rather because that world is such a perfect fit for her that she'd rather be nowhere else.

daveo42

Banned

To us, sure. To kids with a massive interest in the Abyss and/or have nothing else and knew nothing but squalor, he gave them a purpose and meaning. Dude totally knew what he was doing by recruiting them. And he knew they wouldn't be missed.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm glad there is postive reactions to episode 13 of Made in Abyss since I have yet to watch it. The admiration for the whole season has kind of taken me aback since I though the whole middle of the show, starting with episode 3 even, was middling in content. A complete snoozefest that didn't actually have anything of merit until the last few episodes when shit actually got real.

duckroll

Shingeki no Bahamut Virgin Soul - Episode 24 (End)

That was a fantastic conclusion to the series. While much of it was really cool effects animation like the climax of the first season, here the journey felt so much more consistent and natural, and the outcome far more satisfying. There's a sense of loss and cost in the war, of a world built on the bad decisions of men, but also the grit of those who would fight on for what they believe in and live free like the adventuring spirit that forms the foundation of the series. In the end, this season was a fairy tale romance between a dragon and a king in a world of dark fantasy. For it to end and turn out the way it did surpasses all my expectations of where it could have gone. Keiichi Sato is one hell of a director and this the best fantasy love story I've seen in anime in a very long time.

Triteon

I'm not an expert at anime, like some around here. I've only really gotten back into it in the last three years or so.

When does the new fall stuff get a thread?

I know Gintama is back this week and I think Osomatsu as well.

But apart from that I get all my new shit from the lists here.

Teach me Senpai

Narag

I'm not an expert at anime, like some around here. I've only really gotten back into it in the last three years or so.

When does the new fall stuff get a thread?

I know Gintama is back this week and I think Osomatsu as well.

But apart from that I get all my new shit from the lists here.

Teach me Senpai

It'll go up within the next week or so courtesy of BGBW.

phaze

because a lot went on the line for her in those 30 seconds......

Which should put her more on her guard if anything.

Not even sure why a thrown out letter was such a big deal, throwing it out shouldn't be much of an issue and it could have been written off as assistant's negligence.

i noticed apathetic girl of the apathetic pair was also in the BG

man it sucks, half the skit pairingss i love aren't in this season. instead we get SGC redpilling his gf

The deadpan duo had a cameo too. S2 should be all them and sushi shenanigans.

Kakegurui 09

2 zzzzz episodes proving once more that idols are indeed the worst.

blurr

Which should put her more on her guard if anything.

Not even sure why a thrown out letter was such a big deal, throwing it out shouldn't be much of an issue and it could have been written off as assistant's negligence.

TBH it's not that much of a nuanced show when it comes to its character writing beyond their self-indulgent characteristic trait. In this case, getting defensive does make sense but it ultimately makes no difference given Jabami goes on to threaten her with the voice recording. From her perspective, it was enough of a threat if this would be a blot on her career, some fans might buy it, some may not. That's too much of a risk for her dream.

Narag

My Hero Academia S2 25 FIN

Last ep was a talky ep that continued world building and developing character relationships and all the better for it. I can't begin to express how appreciative I am regarding the far reaching influence of the Stain encounter and how it set so many wheels in motion which in turn has me excited for more down the line. Giving Shigaraki some quiet time was a great decision too as I felt he'd been lacking somewhat in character. I think explicitly pushing the mentor/student (All Might/Deku, All For One/Shigaraki) was helpful as it finally cemented a sense of real rivalry between the two that wasn't quite present before. "Show, not tell," is great advice 9 out of 10 times but being forthright with that sort of thing is a good reflection of a character that's begun to steady himself after wavering for so long.

All Here's hoping the third season can improve the property's rougher edges.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Season 2, Episode 25:

In that moment of almost casual murder of his arch-nemesis Tormua Shiragaki decided he would become The Joker to Deku's Batman or at least a rough approximation of that rivalry. Hell, he is even getting recruits fresh out of Arkham Asylum it seems.

Quasar

Shingeki no Bahamut Virgin Soul - Episode 24 (End)

That was a fantastic conclusion to the series. While much of it was really cool effects animation like the climax of the first season, here the journey felt so much more consistent and natural, and the outcome far more satisfying. There's a sense of loss and cost in the war, of a world built on the bad decisions of men, but also the grit of those who would fight on for what they believe in and live free like the adventuring spirit that forms the foundation of the series. In the end, this season was a fairy tale romance between a dragon and a king in a world of dark fantasy. For it to end and turn out the way it did surpasses all my expectations of where it could have gone. Keiichi Sato is one hell of a director and this the best fantasy love story I've seen in anime in a very long time.

I did find the end more satisfying than I did S1. Really not keen on the suggestion that Favaro should have sacrificed the world to save Amira though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom