• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summoner Wars iOS League - Trial Run July 19 - 30

sw_logo.gif

What is Summoner Wars?

Summoner Wars is a card and iOS tactical strategy game. The iOS game allows you to play as any of eight different factions currently, and you can adjust any of your faction decks with reinforcement cards and mercenary cards.

The app is free on the App Store and lets you play as one faction -- the Phoenix Elves -- against the AI with four factions. Any IAP purchase unlocks online play and you can buy factions and reinforcements separately. The better choice is to buy everything in a bundle for $7.99. This would cost $16 if purchased individually.

League Details

In order to sign up for the Summoner Wars iOS league, just post a reply to this thread with your Game Center id and I'll add you to the list.

We will record the numbers of wins with each faction and the number of overall losses.

Your point total will be the total number of wins minus the number of losses.

Maximum of 10 wins per faction.

Having at least one win with every faction will give you a bonus 10 points. This is to make sure that people are playing all factions.

Having the highest number of wins with any single faction will net you a bonus of 5 points. If there is a tie, then no bonus points are awarded for that faction.

At the end of the month, the top 4 players will play a best of 3 tournament to determine the winner for the month.

Final Scoring for July:

Hereafter wins!

Code:
Player            GC ID            CG TO PE JE VG FK GD CK LOSS TOTAL BONUS  w/BONUS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hereafter         thenafter            9  2     2  1  6       8    12   +10       22
Gazele            Gazele87                4  3           2    6     3    +5        8
ScrabbleDude      scrabbledude!     2  1  3           2  1    9     0    +5        5
Smiley90          smiley1970        1  3     3     1  1       4     5              5
Of All Trades     of.all.trades     1     1                         2              2
blahness          blahness                   1     1          1     1              1
Slacker           Slacker              1              1       1     1              1
blackflag         Bl4ckfl4g            1              6       6     1              1
Octobot           MechaOctobot                                1    -1             -1
Manik             CTB0503                                     1    -1             -1
soldat7           soldat7                                     2    -2             -2
deim0s            deim0s_                                     2    -2             -2
Kosh              Kosh One             2              1       6    -3             -3
AstroLad          AstroLad             1     1                5    -3             -3
superrobot        Diesel Pioneer       1              1       5    -3             -3
Mercviper         Mercviper                        1  1  2   10    -6             -6
eznark            eznark                                      4    -4             -4

tm24              mightytm24                                        0              0
chicobalay        chicobalay                                        0              0

Ok, short tournament bracket. Top 4. Matches are best of 3. Use any faction you like. You can change factions or decks between games if you like.

Match 1:
Hereafter vs ScrabbleDude
Match 2:
Gazele vs Smiley

Winners face off for first.

CG - Cave Goblins
TO - Tundra Orcs
PE - Phoenix Elves
JE - Jungle Elves
VG - Vanguard
FK - Fallen Kingdom
GD - Guild Dwarves
CK - Cloaks

All games played between league participants can be considered league games. Please report the two players, who won, and the faction of the winner back to this thread in bold so I can see it.

This thread can be used for discussion of all things Summoner Wars as well. :)

Crap. I meant to start a bunch of games using my new goblin deck, but it looks like only the first game is using it. All the others went back to the default deck.

Hereafter

Lol you were doing good until HEAVEN'S RAIN!

I was trying to draw you closer for the rain. That felt really good! ;-)

Edit: Ignore my PM I must be blind

Lol you were doing good until HEAVEN'S RAIN!

I was trying to draw you closer for the rain. That felt really good! ;-)

Edit: Ignore my PM I must be blind
I'd never seen heaven's rain before and was completed unprepared. :p I also thought I was ready to come back and had your healing separated from your champ when BAM! Malevolence. Didn't see that coming.

I also messed up when I summoned my berserker in that spot. I thought I had one more mana than I did. Had to wait an extra turn to summon Malevolence, and the Berserker was dead. :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know it's laziness but I'm kinda confused about how this works. Is there any chance we can do it world-cup style or something with groups and knockout stages? No worries if not happy to play either way! Hell I may be involved in league games and not even know it right now. :p

I know it's laziness but I'm kinda confused about how this works. Is there any chance we can do it world-cup style or something with groups and knockout stages? No worries if not happy to play either way! Hell I may be involved in league games and not even know it right now. :p
We can change it up come August 1st. I'm not familiar with the world cup and how that works, and organizing a large tournament is something I'd rather not do right now. This will allow people to play when they want and how often they want.

The basic idea here is if you play someone who's signed up, just pop a note in for who wins, who loses, and what faction was used. I'll add the point in for the winner.

At the end of the month, I can organize a small 2 round tournament for the top 4 players to determine who won July.

Every quarter we can do a larger tournament or whatever.

The other thing this lets us do is track match ups and see in just the community how the different factions rank up against each other.

tm24

Basically, as i suggested earlier in the IOS thread, we do it WC/Euro style. Basically, here's how it will play

We basically come up with groups/divisions. Each group will be headlined by one high rank, and then randomly selected members. They will play each other once round-robin style, where each win is worth 3 pts, and a loss is zero. Since there's no draws in SW, there's no need for 1 pt.

Depending on how many people there is, we can have the top placers advance to the knockout stages, which play out like any other tourney. Basically, if you're not up for a large tourney, i am most certainly am up for creating one

blackflag

Good game black flag, I was hoping you came closer! I'm surprised @ your Malovence. Caught me off guard completely. You're the best dwarf I played yet.

Yeah man you are good. I thought I was trying to make a come back but I just brain farted that when I killed that wall it just let you kill me if you have the precise event.

I like the idea of a league but I don't think I can crunch through enough games quickly enough in a big league format (which is my problem not the league's).
Given my record, this decision denies everyone at least one win.

I'm up for a mini-league based World Cup tournament if that happens later on.

~~~~ Activates Romulan Cloaking Device ~~~~

heringer

I like the idea of a league but I don't think I can crunch through enough games quickly enough in a big league format (which is my problem not the league's).
Given my record, this decision denies everyone at least one win.

I'm up for a mini-league based World Cup tournament if that happens later on.

~~~~ Activates Romulan Cloaking Device ~~~~

Yeah, I agree with that. I would rather play a tournament...

I figure we can do this for the next two weeks, and then if people want to go World Cup format, we can do that. The problem was that there was a lot of interest in both an SW league and an SW tourney. There was a lot of discussion about how one would be done.... but nothing came out of it. So, here is something.

It seems like there's still a lot of people that just want to discuss how something should be done, instead of getting down to the doing.

My concern with any sort of large tournament format with that is players that start interested and then have their interest die off. Or players who then need to wait on people that can't play as often. With international sports you aren't likely to encounter a team that just isn't going to play any more, and games are scheduled and take place at that scheduled time.

A league format like this resolves those issues on their own. People can play whenever they want and whomever they want. You can play as much or as little as you want. I definitely play less than most people. The end of month tourney allows for tournament play amongst active players, and the point systems helps to ensure a mix of factions are used instead of having to assign people factions to ensure that all factions get used.

TL;DR: I'm sure there are many other ways to do this, but let's get down to the doing and give this a 2 week run. After that we can discuss how it makes sense to change it in the future. Isn't doing something more interesting than talking about doing something?

Hereafter

Good game Mercviper, I got the feeling you were not prepared for the Fire Beasts rush. Once they're in your face, those beasts are dreadful!

mercviper

Good game Mercviper, I got the feeling you were not prepared for the Fire Beasts rush. Once they're in your face, those beasts are dreadful!

Indeed I was not. I also misread my champ in thinking I could steal your firebeast and move it away from my summoner to kill the champ and get away simultaneously, else I'd have gone for the other champ that guarantees 1 additional hit to try for lucky dice rolls and kill both.

gazele

Banned
Okay, I'm gonna commit hari-Kari or whatever it's called since I'm probably gonna win most of my games at this point, but only games that start after this post will count for me, hopefully that's okay

Hereafter

Okay, I'm gonna commit hari-Kari or whatever it's called since I'm probably gonna win most of my games at this point, but only games that start after this post will count for me, hopefully that's okay

Do you have something in store for my Fallen Kingdom that you're letting me in? It looks like I havve full control of the board :0)

Also, damn you for getting me back into Ascension!

mercviper

Personally I think only new games should be count.

This goes for our game too mercviper. Hope you two are okay with this decision.

So our mirror match didn't count against me? Whoo! Tbh I don't mind if you want to count it as a league game. I was going to report it as one earlier today but GAF was down and I didn't read all those posts after I made my 'join' post because of sleep/GAF downtime.

To go along with this I guess only new games with me from this post will be considered a league game in my eyes. Excepting the rematch I started with Hereafter this morning.

Hereafter

So our mirror match didn't count against me? Whoo! Tbh I don't mind if you want to count it as a league game. I was going to report it as one earlier today but GAF was down and I didn't read all those posts after I made my 'join' post because of sleep/GAF downtime.

To go along with this I guess only new games with me from this post will be considered a league game in my eyes. Excepting the rematch I started with Hereafter this morning.

I didn't get a response so I didn't want to be unfair. I didn't know GAF was down though.

gazele

Banned
Do you have something in store for my Fallen Kingdom that you're letting me in? It looks like I havve full control of the board :0)

Also, damn you for getting me back into Ascension!

Haha, sorry! I love that game lol

And I still got a shot vs your fallen, just need one shot at your summoner

So slacker is it cool if this game counts for the league?

If so, that's my first game that counts

Slacker

Works for me (we've got one going now - we'll count the next one).

Indeed I was not. I also misread my champ in thinking I could steal your firebeast and move it away from my summoner to kill the champ and get away simultaneously, else I'd have gone for the other champ that guarantees 1 additional hit to try for lucky dice rolls and kill both.
Is that Kaseeall? I replaced her as soon as I realized the unit I steal could just move back and hit me the next turn.

mercviper

Is that Kaseeall? I replaced her as soon as I realized the unit I steal could just move back and hit me the next turn.

I guess? I just meant specifically that instance. I just forgot her ability triggers at beginning of turn, not movement, so plopping her down next to the firebeast didn't grant me control of it and I only had enough firepower to take out one of two threats.

I guess? I just meant specifically that instance. I just forgot her ability triggers at beginning of turn, not movement, so plopping her down next to the firebeast didn't grant me control of it and I only had enough firepower to take out one of two threats.
That's my problem with the ability as well. There's another faction that lets you control a unit during the attack phase -- Fallen Empire maybe? It seems a lot more useful. The Phoenix Elves already seem a little OP though.

The beginning of turn is a big issue. If it was on movement it would be very useful. You could use it to move dwarven defenders or Vanguard guardians. As is, if you leave her next to one at the end of your turn, your opponent has the ability to address the situation however they choose.

Good game, eznark! I got lucky that time.

We won't count that one here since we started it days ago. The next one will count though. And you'll kick my ass there like usual.

mercviper

Gg hereafter. Any suggestions to play against that? I tried my best to starve you of magic but I had shit rolls and you still managed 8 mp after 4 turns through 2 magic drains it seemed
edit:Hereafter's dwarves trounced my cloaks in no time at all

Hereafter

Gg hereafter. Any suggestions to play against that? I tried my best to starve you of magic but I had shit rolls and you still managed 8 mp after 4 turns through 2 magic drains it seemed
edit:Hereafter's dwarves trounced my cloaks in no time at all

I'm guessing a Thief rush might work but I really never played the Cloaks too much so I can't help you that well. Sorry!

For the fallen kingdom you need reapers. You shouLd have reapers! Reavers are also very good!

Edit:

Hereafter with dwarves defeated mercviper with fallen kingdom

Top Bottom