• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summoner Wars iOS League - Trial Run July 19 - 30

gazele

Banned
I sent gazele and invite too, had 3 factions I was going to pick from, picked the unlikely
Choice first to see what he goes first and then will adjust my second/third choice accordingly

Haha, sounds good, yeah that game that was going shouldn't count

Game 1: Phoenix Elves vs. Cloaks. Mercviper, this one's for you.

Playing slow, for the same reason as always, pure unadulterated fear.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
DAMNIT i accidentally made our game 15min and started it DAMNIT. gazele. Disregard. Let's redo but pick the same teams? Jungle Elves mirror match, who'd have expected THAT.

I forfeited it since it was my fault :p wanna do same teams (so a JE mirror match) or new ones?

gazele

Banned
DAMNIT i accidentally made our game 15min and started it DAMNIT. gazele. Disregard. Let's redo but pick the same teams? Jungle Elves mirror match, who'd have expected THAT.

I forfeited it since it was my fault :p wanna do same teams (so a JE mirror match) or new ones?

Sure, same teams

Hereafter

Game 1: Phoenix Elves vs. Cloaks. Mercviper, this one's for you.

Playing slow, for the same reason as always, pure unadulterated fear.

The Phoenix elves is my mysterious third choice ^_^. I tried all the races and I don't find them as fun as the Elves...

They're my Vegas of NH :)

Smiley90

A 1/4 roll (2/4 needed for the kill) to start the game, which means instead of a kill I get 3 rolls against my summoner next round. What a start.

gazele

Banned
A 1/4 roll (2/4 needed for the kill) to start the game, which means instead of a kill I get 3 rolls against my summoner next round. What a start.

Umm, actually four after I pump him up with my summoner ;)

Super lucky, and you never know you could turn it around

Hereafter, something has happened to our game. I can't load it. It crashes to my home screen as soon as I try.

You can have the win though. I had no chance. Send me the invite for game #2. :)

Smiley90

Wow just looked at the turn and you even ROLLED 4/4. Just wow. Game over due to incredible bad luck after 2 turns, pretty much. -shakes head in disbelief-

EDIT: called it. Sigh.

gazele

Banned
Haha, well you still almost won since I made a dumb move with my summoner and I was a few dice rolls away from losing haha

Jungle elves vs jungle elves

Hate mirror matches in general though wish there was an option to prevent them somehow

Smiley90

Lol. Sounds awful. What races did you guys play?

Jungle Elves mirror match. He moved in with the lion guy, i rolled 1/4 an couldn't kill him, then he rolled a pumped-up 4/4 and 2 turns later was able to roll 1/1 with the archer that can attack over other units to kill the summoner. Bad luck on my roll and good luck on his makes the game be over fast :p

Have you tried reinstalling? If that fails we can replay another one.
I didn't. I'll try that now.

Edit: Didn't work. Send me an invite and we'll play game #2. That definitely counts as a win for you. You had major momentum and I don't see any way I could have stopped it.

That was quick! Hereafter's Vanguards beat my Jungle Elves to win the match. I did not expect the double holy judgement. And I definitely didn't expect the priest to roll 5/5.

Officially won the other one too. I was going to use my cloak on Vlox once I got him on the back line, but his two remaining health wouldn't help against the auto-wounds from Elien. :(

mercviper

Wow just looked at the turn and you even ROLLED 4/4.

Man just did the same thing to me. Thought I was going to win it too until *surprise* gorilla. I had clear card advantage that game.

Hereafter: GG vanguards. I had to pull some sneaky shit to get vlox in the back line to kill mr Heaven's Rain, as well as landing that finishing blow.

gazele

Banned
Man just did the same thing to me. Thought I was going to win it too until *surprise* gorilla. I had clear card advantage that game.

Hereafter: GG vanguards. I had to pull some sneaky shit to get vlox in the back line to kill mr Heaven's Rain, as well as landing that finishing blow.

Yeah, got super lucky with that gorilla, but those can destroy if you get lucky

mercviper

Thinking of replacing Dagger with The Admiral in my cloaks deck. I really like him, especially if I can gunner vlox to the back row and then dagger vlox next turn to start ranged hitting for 5, but I find I'm never in that situation. Admiral would also give my snipers more HP incase they get rushed, as they're my only 2 damage commons. Hmmmmmm.

I've already replaced Violet for Sin Sin. The 2 damage through unit blocking is nice, but she dies fast and I'm using it to get to the enemy summoner behind a unit wall, so Sin Sin has longer range. Plus Sin Sin also allows me to have a semi-raid ability by pushing my own thieves up an additional 2 spaces (At least, I think that's how it'd work). Admiral's magic cost is kinda crazy though. Might put Violet back in for Dagger instead, purely for the 4 cost casting, which will let me put another sniper in for more damage. Hmmmmmmm.

Thinking of replacing Dagger with The Admiral in my cloaks deck. I really like him, especially if I can gunner vlox to the back row and then dagger vlox next turn to start ranged hitting for 5, but I find I'm never in that situation. Admiral would also give my snipers more HP incase they get rushed, as they're my only 2 damage commons. Hmmmmmm.

I've already replaced Violet for Sin Sin. The 2 damage through unit blocking is nice, but she dies fast and I'm using it to get to the enemy summoner behind a unit wall, so Sin Sin has longer range. Plus Sin Sin also allows me to have a semi-raid ability by pushing my own thieves up an additional 2 spaces (At least, I think that's how it'd work). Admiral's magic cost is kinda crazy though. Might put Violet back in for Dagger instead, purely for the 4 cost casting, which will let me put another sniper in for more damage. Hmmmmmmm.
I think Violet's really great for blocking off lanes, especially if you are using Vlox to copy her ability.

My problem with Dagger is that against opponents like Hereafter, their summoner is always on the back row or with someone on their back to ensure that they aren't getting backstabbed. Even if you don't play Dagger, that's probably still going to be the case so if that's an advantage, you'll have it either way.

Hereafter

I think Violet's really great for blocking off lanes, especially if you are using Vlox to copy her ability.

My problem with Dagger is that against opponents like Hereafter, their summoner is always on the back row or with someone on their back to ensure that they aren't getting backstabbed. Even if you don't play Dagger, that's probably still going to be the case so if that's an advantage, you'll have it either way.

But for battles that are REALLY tough for the Cloaks like the Orcs and the Dwarves, Dagger is useful. Overall though I think Scam, Sin-Sin and Admiral are the best champs. Then again I'm not the best with the Cloaks.

But for battles that are REALLY tough for the Cloaks like the Orcs and the Dwarves, Dagger is useful. Overall though I think Scam, Sin-Sin and Admiral are the best champs. Then again I'm not the best with the Cloaks.
I like Scam. I think Sin-Sin can be useful, but I'm not sold. And I like the Admiral a lot with a certain play style, but I think in general he's too expensive for the Cloaks. The Cloaks tend to be a speedy faction making pot shots and quick strikes, but the Admiral slows that down and changes the play style. Good, but different. He's definitely not a unit you would generally clone the ability of.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm looking forward to getting the tabletop version of this (Master Set), especially since it's all new armies that I have no idea about so I can easily play it with new people. Just waiting on 7 Wonders: Cities to come out so that my order can ship.

I'm going to be playing my Master Set tonight. Going to be introducing it to my dad. He used to come with me to M:TG tournaments, so I think he'll enjoy it.

mercviper

I like Scam. I think Sin-Sin can be useful, but I'm not sold. And I like the Admiral a lot with a certain play style, but I think in general he's too expensive for the Cloaks. The Cloaks tend to be a speedy faction making pot shots and quick strikes, but the Admiral slows that down and changes the play style. Good, but different. He's definitely not a unit you would generally clone the ability of.

I don't quite agree with cloaks being a speedy faction but maybe it's a misinterpretation of terminology. Your units are too weak and if you do play them as with a rush playstyle you'll end up feeding the enemy magic for every attempt, leading to a bigger army that you have to deal with later. What you do have is amazing card advantage through spy, assassination, magic drain, and thieves, as well as an amazing summoner ability. To take advantage of that, you'll want to make even trades and draw out the game until the end where you should have 4-6 cards left in your deck after the opponent has drawn out.

I do agree about The Admiral though. He will give staying power to your commons and keep them in the game longer, but I don't like him either because he is too expensive. He also doesn't attribute anything to your summoner since his ability is used only on the opponent's turn, and even if it was usable it will help your opponent win, so it's a very niche ability in that sense. This also means playstyle-wise, I don't like him because I like playing cloaks for Vlox's flexibility, and The Admiral adds none. Also, with the backwards-ass thinking that magic drain introduces to the game, you don't actually want your commons to be alive half the time and end up killing your own. I see Admiral's usefulness in a Scrapper heavy deck, but in mine, I'd only use him defensively to help set up better roadblocks from their champs invading my territory. I'd rather use Dagger to defend, or Malevolence to offend given the price point.

Sin Sin, I wasn't sold on her either when I first saw her, but when I realized I could use her as an extra raid or two by targeting my own thieves or effectively extending the range of any common unit by 2, I decided to keep her. (I want to see what happens if I use her on a opposing thief and send it to the back row. Can I steal with Vlox's own thief and then decide not to place it by a wall and destroy it for magic???).

Scam is just good. You effectively kite all melee units, and if you use escape against a ranged unit, you can force it to an unwanted position if it wants to trade back.

Hereafter

I think you're right but I was thinking of matchups. I think the cloaks 2 worst vs races are the Dwarves and the Orcs. Sin is needed together pass the Defenders and push back. Admiral is useful for the Champ battles vs Krung and Gror and to keep Scam and the certain commons alive.

Hereafter

I'm going to be playing my Master Set tonight. Going to be introducing it to my dad. He used to come with me to M:TG tournaments, so I think he'll enjoy it.

That awesome, I used to play Chinese chess all the time with my Dad. There's something special about playing board games with your dad...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Good board games didn't really exist when I was a kid (late 80s early 90s) :/. But we did play lots of Risk, Trivial Pursuit, and Scrabble. :D

I think you're right but I was thinking of matchups. I think the cloaks 2 worst vs races are the Dwarves and the Orcs. Sin is needed together pass the Defenders and push back. Admiral is useful for the Champ battles vs Krung and Gror and to keep Scam and the certain commons alive.
Against orcs or dwarves, I'd rather get a combo going.

Against dwarves, scrapper chain to the back row, and cloak of shadows on Vlox. Then copy a slasher or a thief for an attack against Oldin. The Admiral is going to die really easy against Gror here, especially with a Heroic Feat. Most of the commons and champs will be destroyed by Gror as well making it a tough match.

Against Orcs, I think a ranged approach keeping your units mostly on your side of the battlefield -- Violet to cover lanes and reduce bunching, Scam to take quick shots and flee, waiting for your opportunity to strike. It's a bad match up because the orc summoner ability will kill most of the Cloak commons if it hits. The Admiral is going to get torn up here too due to the high attack value of orc units.

My dad and I played M:TG, Clue: Great Museum Caper, backgammon, chess, stratego, and Scrabble. I think Scrabble was the first game I could ever beat him at, which pushed me into club and tournament Scrabble when I got older.

Good board games didn't really exist when I was a kid (late 80s early 90s) :/. But we did play lots of Risk, Trivial Pursuit, and Scrabble. :D
This is when I was a kid and there were awesome board games. I absolutely loved BattleMasters. Siege was a popular one that was ok every now and then too.

mercviper

scrapper chain to the back row, and cloak of shadows on Vlox

My ONLY problem with this strategy is you need to have both your scrappers survive and moved up there to mitigate risk, and at the same time, if you fail to hit with your scrappers, then the 3 cards you just spent on Vlox is wasted.

My ONLY problem with this strategy is you need to have both your scrappers survive and moved up there to mitigate risk, and at the same time, if you fail to hit with your scrappers, then the 3 cards you just spent on Vlox is wasted.
This is true. If you can use a well placed Assassinate, Cloak of Shadows, and copy a gunner to get behind their defences, it would be much more reliable.

There's a helpful article over at Plaid Hat on 12 concepts for players to learn. Specifically targeted towards new iOS players: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/92

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This is when I was a kid and there were awesome board games. I absolutely loved BattleMasters. Siege was a popular one that was ok every now and then too.

Yeah don't get me wrong -- they were tons of fun to play. We had a closet full of board games. Just that even the good ones were pretty mediocre compared to what you can get now once you strip away the nostalgia, with a few notable exceptions.

Too much awesome chat going on in here, shut this thread down and bring it over to the iOS Boardgame thread :p

We dont need 2 threads for the same thing! haha.

We're just finishing up, Ray. We need a winner. Looks like it's gonna be Gazele or Hereafter.

Smiley and Gazele, did someone win your match?

We're just finishing up, Ray. We need a winner. Looks like it's gonna be Gazele or Hereafter.

Smiley and Gazele, did someone win your match?

Sorry, I dont mean to complain so much. I liked this league and how it was set up, despite not participating in it. I just really dislike the idea of the second thread. There is no point separating it from the main one, hell Dash would run tourneys in the big iOS thread and that thread moves fast as hell! haha.

Im hoping Smiley wins this tourney! Because I at least have 1 win against him, haha :p

also:

This is true. If you can use a well placed Assassinate, Cloak of Shadows, and copy a gunner to get behind their defences, it would be much more reliable.

There's a helpful article over at Plaid Hat on 12 concepts for players to learn. Specifically targeted towards new iOS players: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/92

Thanks for this link! Its a lot of stuff I knew from just playing a bunch of games, and losing to the real pros, like Smiley, Astro and Hereafter (sorry if I missed anyone, but these are the guys Ive lost really baddly to). Its nice to get some more in depth info from people that have REALLY played the game, I dont need specifics, I like broad statements like the ones in the link, that still let me figure the nitty gritty stuff on my own.

Smiley90

Sorry, I dont mean to complain so much. I liked this league and how it was set up, despite not participating in it. I just really dislike the idea of the second thread. There is no point separating it from the main one, hell Dash would run tourneys in the big iOS thread and that thread moves fast as hell! haha.

Im hoping Smiley wins this tourney! Because I at least have 1 win against him, haha :p

also:

Thanks for this link! Its a lot of stuff I knew from just playing a bunch of games, and losing to the real pros, like Smiley, Astro and Hereafter (sorry if I missed anyone, but these are the guys Ive lost really baddly to). Its nice to get some more in depth info from people that have REALLY played the game, I dont need specifics, I like broad statements like the ones in the link, that still let me figure the nitty gritty stuff on my own.

Yeah I think this thread will really become obsolete once this league final is over, we should really go back to the other, esp because SW deserves to be mentioned more often in there ;)

Hereafter

Yeah, 1 hit point units near walls are a no no vs the Orcs! 50/50 chance but the rate of return on that move can be devastating.

Good game. Game 2, do you want to use Phoenix Elves?

Edit: I choose Vanguard.

Hereafter

Ugh, that was a killer, congrats though! That healing was super annoying haha

Kalon cannot be destroyed! Yeah I had enough magic points to summon my last champ but healing Kalon seemed a better value.

Good game!

Edit Final Series Score Hereafter 2 (TO, VG) - 0 Gazele (JE, PE)

Top Bottom