• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrams

Isn't that show bad?

It's really fucking anime. All the girls are leaning towards loli, but some not and some are. Some of the jokes can be funny like how people should only be loyal to one waifu and then cringe happens since a tiny schoolgirl likes a guy in his 20's or something. It's pretty average to me. One guy is voiced by Kirito from Sword Art and then he wears a Kirito costume later. The other characters also wear costumes they previously VA'd as, but I only knew Kirito immediately because things. It was a neat gag and I can't think of anything else that happened in the show.

Zenfalcia

Was pretty good. That last after credits scene was bonkers.

I haven't seen the last episode yet, but i'm caught up in the manga..
How'd you like all the lewd book scenes, and the blushing over lewd stuff like BL.

It's really fucking anime. All the girls are leaning towards loli, but some not and some are. Some of the jokes can be funny like how people should only be loyal to one waifu and then cringe happens since a tiny schoolgirl likes a guy in his 20's or something. It's pretty average to me. One guy is voiced by Kirito from Sword Art and then he wears a Kirito costume later. The other characters also wear costumes they previously VA'd as, but I only knew Kirito immediately because things. It was a neat gag and I can't think of anything else that happened in the show.

She's just a few years younger than him! She just looks like a loli.

Skrams

How'd you like all the lewd book scenes, and the blushing over lewd stuff like BL.

I swear to god. She's in schoolgirl uniform and they said she went to school I thought. Still, they're all lolis practically but surprise surprise a few of them have big boobs when there in skimpy outfits at points. Then women groping other womens boobs because japan.

Alfebit

Banned

It was alright. One of my favorite gags was when summersault however the fuck you spell his name gave Katsuragithat G men lady a BL book in one of the early episodes.

demidar

Hmm, I see. I don't like watching things that are really anime.

Zenfalcia

I swear to god. She's in schoolgirl uniform and they said she went to school I thought. Still, they're all lolis practically but surprise surprise a few of them have big boobs when there in skimpy outfits at points. Then women groping other womens boobs because japan.

I don't remember anything about school, but i do remember her being in a school girl outfit. Kinda? I mean, they're all short and only one of them has big breasts. Well, it is anime, and it does talk about lewd stuff.
It was alright. One of my favorite gags was when summersault however the fuck you spell his name gave Katsuragithat G men lady a BL book in one of the early episodes.

Yep, that was pretty good. If you care, there's more in the manga about every character and stuff.

Nordicus

*puts on fake french accent*

Sommelier~

8AS7gzr.jpg

Alfebit

Banned
I don't remember anything about school, but i do remember her being in a school girl outfit. Kinda? I mean, they're all short and only one of them has big breasts. Well, it is anime, and it does talk about lewd stuff.

Yep, that was pretty good. If you care, there's more in the manga about every character and stuff.
I don't care about anything enough to read a manga.
That 's not true, I just don't like reading manga as much as I like watching anime no matter how much "better" it is.

Zenfalcia

I don't care about anything enough to read a manga.
That 's not true, I just don't like reading manga as much as I like watching anime no matter how much "better" it is.

Shame, usually the manga is a lot better and some things never get adapted into anime.

Christ. Everything is broken at work.

No one knows what's going on or what to do.

We don't even know when our lunch breaks are.

And I'm sitting here playing Monster Hunter....

Skrams

Wikipedia telling me she's 16 somehow and she goes to high school. I guess that's legal in Japan? I imagine Sommelier Somersaults is 20 or 21 at least. Also Sensei is moderately sized as pointed out half the time, Hiotan is bazongas, and Tsumorin who shows up pretty often is also of pretty moderate size if I remember correctly. The show definitely knows it's audience and that audience loves some animey anime.

Alfebit

Banned
Shame, usually the manga is a lot better and some things never get adapted into anime.
I'll enjoy my adaptations just fine and whatever doesn't get adapted I'll never pay attention to anyway. I mean I love the shit outta Haruhi but I read up to like the 6th LN and I haven't gone back in years

Zenfalcia

Wikipedia telling me she's 16 somehow and she goes to high school. I guess that's legal in Japan? I imagine Sommelier Somersaults is 20 or 21 at least. Also Sensei is moderately sized as pointed out half the time, Hiotan is bazongas, and Tsumorin who shows up pretty often is also of pretty moderate size if I remember correctly. The show definitely knows it's audience and that audience loves some animey anime.

Hiotan and tsumorin are both pretty asset heavy and full of life. For Sommelier that sounds about right. You forgot about umm.. Cameco(or the afro camera girl), who is a very small girl about the size of Fu girl. I mean it is about people running a book store filled with LNs and lewd stuff in whatever anime place they are in. So it does try to cater to those type of people.
I'll enjoy my adaptations just fine and whatever doesn't get adapted I'll never pay attention to anyway. I mean I love the shit outta Haruhi but I read up to like the 6th LN and I haven't gone back in years

Ok, it's up to you to enjoy your animus, mangos, and LNs.

Skrams

Hiotan and tsumorin are both pretty asset heavy and full of life. For Sommelier that sounds about right. You forgot about umm.. Cameco(or the afro camera girl), who is a very small girl about the size of Fu girl. I mean it is about people running a book store filled with LNs and lewd stuff in whatever anime place they are in. So it does try to cater to those type of people.

Yeah, I didn't mention her since she's pretty short changed like Fu Girl. Also yeah, it makes sense that the show is like that. I'm totally fine with it. If a show aims for a demographic and they enjoy it then no skin off my back.

Zenfalcia

Yeah, I didn't mention her since she's pretty short changed like Fu Girl. Also yeah, it makes sense that the show is like that. I'm totally fine with it. If a show aims for a demographic and they enjoy it then no skin off my back.

Yeah.. some characters just get more screen time than others due to the limited number of episodes and lower importance. So, you'd only be annoyed if they change an enjoyable anime for the worst?

Skrams

Yeah.. some characters just get more screen time than others due to the limited number of episodes and lower importance. So, you'd only be annoyed if they change an enjoyable anime for the worst?

I meant short changed for boobs. Screen time I guess too technically, but that actually has reasons behind it. Not sure what your question means though. I just meant that the show is fine and doesn't really offend me like a Sword Art Online. I just assume because it didn't appeal to me doesn't mean it didn't appeal to someone. I've talked to a person about the show while it was airing and they were enjoying it more than me, so it probably just doesn't appeal to me as much as some other people. I'm not really annoyed at the show or anything that it didn't appeal to me much which is why I said no skin off my back if other people enjoy it more than I did.

Zenfalcia

I meant short changed for boobs. Screen time I guess too technically, but that actually has reasons behind it. Not sure what your question means though. I just meant that the show is fine and doesn't really offend me like a Sword Art Online. I just assume because it didn't appeal to me doesn't mean it didn't appeal to someone. I've talked to a person about the show while it was airing and they were enjoying it more than me, so it probably just doesn't appeal to me as much as some other people. I'm not really annoyed at the show or anything that it didn't appeal to me much which is why I said no skin off my back if other people enjoy it more than I did.

Oh... Well, not everyone can be fully decked out. There are some animes with everyone full of life, but not this one.

I suppose I was trying to ask about your thoughts shows like Sword art, where it's pretty good but then craps the bed by introducing unnecessary things. It happens to some second seasons of animes and angers many fans. Although, in this case it did what people wanted from it..
It did have moments of romance or things that lead up to romance, but it is a slice of life.. so it's not surprising it has romance.

Besides that I don't know where I'm going with this train of thought.

Skrams

Oh... Well, not everyone can be fully decked out. There are some animes with everyone full of life, but not this one.

I suppose I was trying to ask about your thoughts shows like Sword art, where it's pretty good but then craps the bed by introducing unnecessary things. It happens to some second seasons of animes and angers many fans. Although, in this case it did what people wanted from it..
It did have moments of romance or things that lead up to romance, but it is a slice of life.. so it's not surprising it has romance.

Besides that I don't know where I'm going with this train of thought.

Yeah, I don't know where you're going with this exactly either. I'll be annoyed if an anime shits the bed yeah. I know the difference between garbage being poured into my mouth and when it's just supposed to appeal to other people that aren't me. SAO is supposed to appeal to what I assume to be sad 14 year old kids who want to live in an MMO and have a bunch of women suck their dick. I'll still call it garbage though even if I'm probably not in the target demographic. Shit like Free is not meant for me at all, but I still think it's pretty mediocre as a show. It probably has 11/10 manservice compared to a lot of things, but everything else is garbage. I'll call it garbage even if it's not meant for me.

Also I don't think SAO was ever good. Watching Season 1, the whole time I was just thinking "Is this it?" I was kind of hyped for a bad thing after Pat and Liam ranted about it as I knew nothing about it at the time. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. It was just really painfully average as Kirito goes collects waifus, then he's married to Asuna, and then oops, part 1 is over, goodbye. Then Part 2 happens and I want to die majority of the time anything is happening on screen. Season 2 was pretty average as well besides the ending which was kind of neat I think? It tackled real world issues and how the world has used VR which was neater than a lot of other stuff in the show.

Also how the fuck does Klein get transported to a hospital and live when he fucking lived alone? HOW?

Also speaking of manga getting made into animu, I should probably watch Assassination Classroom to see how it compares.

Zenfalcia

Yeah, I don't know where you're going with this exactly either. I'll be annoyed if an anime shits the bed yeah. I know the difference between garbage being poured into my mouth and when it's just supposed to appeal to other people that aren't me. SAO is supposed to appeal to what I assume to be sad 14 year old kids who want to live in an MMO and have a bunch of women suck their dick. I'll still call it garbage though even if I'm probably not in the target demographic. Shit like Free is not meant for me at all, but I still think it's pretty mediocre as a show. It probably has 11/10 manservice compared to a lot of things, but everything else is garbage. I'll call it garbage even if it's not meant for me.

Also I don't think SAO was ever good. Watching Season 1, the whole time I was just thinking "Is this it?" I was kind of hyped for a bad thing after Pat and Liam ranted about it as I knew nothing about it at the time. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. It was just really painfully average as Kirito goes collects waifus, then he's married to Asuna, and then oops, part 1 is over, goodbye. Then Part 2 happens and I want to die majority of the time anything is happening on screen. Season 2 was pretty average as well besides the ending which was kind of neat I think? It tackled real world issues and how the world has used VR which was neater than a lot of other stuff in the show.

Also how the fuck does Klein get transported to a hospital and live when he fucking lived alone? HOW?

Also speaking of manga getting made into animu, I should probably watch Assassination Classroom to see how it compares.

Since we're here, why not continue talking about whatever we're talking about.

The demographic is just people who want a cool action anime and don't really know much about anime. It's very accessible since it's about video games and has a cool guy doing cool things. Then they proceed to mentally block out the really creepy and dumb parts of it.

It seems like a cool idea, and from what I've read from the manga and LN it seemed fairly good except it really contradicts itself at times and rarely touches on huge parts of MMO, like grinding, NPC interactions or really explaining more about the game's lore.

Reasons that the author doesn't even bother explaining or the anime doesn't explain it even though the author does.
I haven't finished the anime and forget parts of GGO.

I've been reading the manga and watching the anime. It's alright, it's been following the source material fairly well. Some stuff feels cut out or sped up, but nothing major of note so far.

Log Horizon is pretty good, but it's not action all the time.

You're talking about the second season or first?

Skrams

Log Horizon is pretty good, but it's not action all the time.

I'm watching the latest episode right now. Hate to do this to you, but man. I find Log Horizon super boring. I'm watching it still because I'm in too deep to stop. The MMO has a different set of rules than your common MMO, so I find myself less interested in it. I did enjoy the recent raid since they did shit like kiting and other tactics. Besides that though, I'm finding the show to be pretty nothing. It was harder to watch all of Season 1 in a row, but I'm finding Season 2 tolerable week to week. I'm less bored now and kind of just watching it to hope it gets better.

Edit- This Magic Bag quest might be alright. I'm more interested in things like important quests than we gotta kill all the goblins or I'm a princess blahblah crusty sama. Also oh jeez next episode
Rule 63 Shiroe?

Yeah, SAO is very I watch an anime every 2 years anime to me. It also focuses more on action and junk than actual MMO stuff. The MMO is pretty much just an excuse for the action I'd say. Man, in one of the first few episodes the people complain about guys killing all the boars or taking up all the quests or some shit. As if that shit is only available for a set amount of people or if eventually all the monster spawns will just dry up.

Also Assassination Classroom is probably going to be the first thing I've read prior to it getting an anime adaptation I think? JoJo doesn't really count since I watched Part 1/2, read 3, and then started watching 3. It'll be a neat first experience seeing how it translates from manga to anime.

Zenfalcia

Yeah, SAO is very I watch an anime every 2 years anime to me. It also focuses more on action and junk than actual MMO stuff. The MMO is pretty much just an excuse for the action I'd say. Man, in one of the first few episodes the people complain about guys killing all the boars or taking up all the quests or some shit. As if that shit is only available for a set amount of people or if eventually all the monster spawns will just dry up.

Also Assassination Classroom is probably going to be the first thing I've read prior to it getting an anime adaptation I think? JoJo doesn't really count since I watched Part 1/2, read 3, and then started watching 3. It'll be a neat first experience seeing how it translates from manga to anime.

I give the first episodes the excuse of everyone panicking and not thinking straight. I agree that the MMO theme is an excuse for action and for tons of streamlining, like lack of inventory, lack of needing to walk around, easily changing gear, etc etc.

Well, I've been disappointed by many anime adaptations, so my expectations are low. The manga is good, so even if this turns out to be terrible, I'll still have the manga to read.

Skrams

The former isn't so important, but the latter sounds like me. Does this mean I'd have a less negative response towards SAO if I watched it in comparison to many of you?

You are still smart enough to see why it's bad. It's not like it's reusing tropes and that's the only reason people hate it. It just has bad writing, bad characters, bad scenes, and bad things. If you don't know anything about it then I don't want to spoil you as it'd be neat to see your reaction if you were to watch it, but yeah, you will not have a good time watching it despite you having only watched a few series overall.

demidar

I'm watching the latest episode right now. Hate to do this to you, but man. I find Log Horizon super boring. I'm watching it still because I'm in too deep to stop. The MMO has a different set of rules than your common MMO, so I find myself less interested in it. I did enjoy the recent raid since they did shit like kiting and other tactics. Besides that though, I'm finding the show to be pretty nothing. It was harder to watch all of Season 1 in a row, but I'm finding Season 2 tolerable week to week. I'm less bored now and kind of just watching it to hope it gets better.

Edit- This Magic Bag quest might be alright. I'm more interested in things like important quests than we gotta kill all the goblins or I'm a princess blahblah crusty sama. Also oh jeez next episode
Rule 63 Shiroe?

I don't think I've ever heard of a person who was more bored with season 1 then with 2. But yeah I like the world building in it, and how the rules get increasingly warped to account for the shift into the new world, which isn't for everyone. I especially like how most rules established are consistent and not broken because MC is a big dick G.

Zenfalcia

The former isn't so important, but the latter sounds like me. Does this mean I'd have a less negative response towards SAO if I watched it in comparison to many of you?

Depends on each person. Some might hate it and some might like it, If you didn't have us saying that it's bad due to its writing and such, it's possible you might like it.

Zenfalcia

Eh, as you might have noticed before, I'm not that easily influenced by stuff like that. I listen exclusively to you guys when it comes to anime recommendations for sure, but I don't always share the same opinion afterwards.

If I were to guess your final opinion on the show it would probably be some dislike for the show, but not the same hatred or disgust as most people here have and overall an average opinion for it. There'll be some moments you might hate or like, but that'll depend on how invested in the show you get.

Skrams

I don't think I've ever heard of a person who was more bored with season 1 then with 2. But yeah I like the world building in it, and how the rules get increasingly warped to account for the shift into the new world, which isn't for everyone. I especially like how most rules established are consistent and not broken because MC is a big dick G.

I really like raids. Or at least the idea of them. Never the doing them part though since I don't want to cooperate with anyone. Tactics like kiting or enemies hitting certain health percentages are just game things and that gets me interested. Also watching it week to week has helped a lot probably. Or maybe if I went back and watched Season 1 I might enjoy it more now for some reason. Maybe it was just a weird mood at the time. Probably not going to do that though since that could be better spent elsewhere.

I just went in with the express purpose of "I haven't watched a lot of bad things, so let's see how much of a bad time I can have." I only based that off of the podcast comments on it, so I still wasn't entirely clear on what it was about. It's fine that you'd rather watch good things first. I don't blame you. Keep watching Cowboy Bebop, JoJo, Ippo, or whatever else you missed out on. Get to SAO when you have a bad lapse in judgment, when you're extremely curious, when you're bored, or when you've run out of good things.

Side thing, Nagisa's VA in Assassination Classroom is just a girl. Got to wonder how many people that fucked with when they watched this.

Zenfalcia

Side thing, Nagisa's VA in Assassination Classroom is just a girl. Got to wonder how many people that fucked with when they watched this.

It's fine! That's the whole point right? The manga made him look like a girl until you really found out he's a guy. I'm honestly not surprised they made his VA a girl.

Skrams

It's fine! That's the whole point right? The manga made him look like a girl until you really found out he's a guy. I'm honestly not surprised they made his VA a girl.

Yeah, guess I should of expected it. Kurapika's VA in Hunter x Hunter is a girl too. That fucked with me a bit until I just straight up googled if he was a boy or girl. It kind of bums me out because I learn the character is a boy and I lose out on the opportunity for a cool girl character in a lead role.

Man, fucking Goku has been voiced by the same woman for the past 29 years. Casting women for men isn't that uncommon for some reason.

Edit- Yep, good first impression for Episode 1. It's keeping in line with my expectations. I just wonder which stories will get an episode and which arc will be the major thing for the 22 episodes they're making.

Zenfalcia

Yeah, guess I should of expected it. Kurapika's VA in Hunter x Hunter is a girl too. That fucked with me a bit until I just straight up googled if he was a boy or girl. It kind of bums me out because I learn the character is a boy and I lose out on the opportunity for a cool girl character in a lead role.

Man, fucking Goku has been voiced by the same woman for the past 29 years. Casting women for men isn't that uncommon for some reason.

It's fine, since the roll doesn't really matter if it's a boy or girl. It usually works better as a boy since you don't have to bother with them being nude or anything requiring censoring. Usually they do it for childish sounding boys, because if a man did their voices it would be terrible since they can't hit that high or even sound remotely like a kid. For the women casted as men is due to them being able to hit lower pitches and pull off a man's voice rather than a man doing a woman's voice. At least that's how I see it. Other times they're doing the womanly man gag/trope.

Did you know? All kids, boys and girls, in anime are voiced by girls? There might be some outliers, but those are rare.

Teenage boys are often voiced by women because they're more akin to having the proper voice. It's not often you'll find a guy with a voice that's capable of portraying a pre-pubescent boy.

Also morning.

Oberon

Banned
Teenage boys are often voiced by women because they're more akin to having the proper voice. It's not often you'll find a guy with a voice that's capable of portraying a pre-pubescent boy.

Also morning.

Good morning

I am reading a tragedy, which showed me that badasses and crazy women are timeless.

Skrams

It's fine, since the roll doesn't really matter if it's a boy or girl. It usually works better as a boy since you don't have to bother with them being nude or anything requiring censoring. Usually they do it for childish sounding boys, because if a man did their voices it would be terrible since they can't hit that high or even sound remotely like a kid. For the women casted as men is due to them being able to hit lower pitches and pull off a man's voice rather than a man doing a woman's voice. At least that's how I see it. Other times they're doing the womanly man gag/trope.

Did you know? All kids, boys and girls, in anime are voiced by girls? There might be some outliers, but those are rare.

Also morning.

I didn't know it was that rare. It makes sense with how it's easier to get a woman to do a younger boy's voice than it is for a man to do it. I'm sure experience probably also plays into it. Why go the extra mile to get an actual child to do the VA when you could just get someone with more experience that can replicate it almost as easily.

Also wasn't really thinking that far ahead with censoring, but sure. It's just neat to see powerful woman characters which is why I got kind of bummed over Kurapika back when I was watching HxH. It doesn't really matter in the long run probably, but I just find it cooler for some reason.

Zenfalcia

The only instance I can think of right now is Ichigo from Bleach, but he looks like he's in his 20's despite being a teenager in age.

It'd be easier to VA teenagers by men, but kids or middle schoolers would be a lot harder, which I was trying to talk about.
I didn't know it was that rare. It makes sense with how it's easier to get a woman to do a younger boy's voice than it is for a man to do it. I'm sure experience probably also plays into it. Why go the extra mile to get an actual child to do the VA when you could just get someone with more experience that can replicate it almost as easily.

Also wasn't really thinking that far ahead with censoring, but sure. It's just neat to see powerful woman characters which is why I got kind of bummed over Kurapika back when I was watching HxH. It doesn't really matter in the long run probably, but I just find it cooler for some reason.

Experience and ability, it'd be a lot harder to to get an actual boy to do lines properly and they aren't marketable as celebrities unlike women.

For the censoring part, it was me just trying to find a justification for it. The more obvious reason would be that people like their heroes to be boys and having a girl isn't as popular or easily accepted.

Morning y'all!

That localization of Oingo & Boingo is hilarious!

Also, morning.

I blame Crunchy Roll for the TL job that doesn't get them sued.

Good morning

I am reading a tragedy, which showed me that badasses and crazy women are timeless.

Morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom