• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

vKpfhos.png

Wait wait wait. Run the tape back.

We're not allowed to talk about Criminal Girls?

Oh God.

Further proof that the mods don't walk these dark parts.

Dat 340 KB/S download speed tho. All I can afford atm ;-;

Wow that's even worse than me. I should give you a hug and say "There, there.".

mbs correct? not Mbs since that makes a huge difference. I have 24mbs and my parents pay a lot for it, but it is bundled with cable and phone.

That can actually be a killer in FF, especially end game. Might wanna look into upgrading that net buddy. :p

Yeah mbs, I just naturally do MBS out of habit :p

How can my download speed affect my play?

Edit: I've played a few MMO's with this speed and it was fine. My internet isn't that slow

Yeah mbs, I just naturally do MBS out of habit :p

How can my download speed affect my play?

If you play something like a Ninja, it can affect your speed on using a couple of skills depending on how far away from the server you are? Where do you live?

All of the NA servers are located in Montreal so the closest you are to that the better the game will perform even with poor net.

Alfebit

Banned
mbs correct? not Mbs since that makes a huge difference. I have 24mbs and my parents pay a lot for it, but it is bundled with cable and phone.
I think what you're referring to is MB/s vs Mbps. The former being Megabytes, the latter Megabits.
Edit: Top of the page sounding like a snooty asshole

If you play something like a Ninja, it can affect your speed on using a couple of skills depending on how far away from the server you are? Where do you live?

All of the NA servers are located in Montreal so the closest you are to that the better the game will perform even with poor net.

I'm in Ohio, in the upper half. I used to play League and their servers we're in Cali so I should be fine.

I'd take low ping from being closer to servers over fast internet here in Prisonstralia. Refuse to play FFXIV without a battleping sub.

I have around 40 Ping with 115 download and 26 upload, but sometimes my internet shits itself and drops my download all the way down to like 3 mbps and the game becomes nigh unplayable. It's the worst.

grimmiq

I have around 40 Ping with 115 download and 26 upload, but sometimes my internet shits itself and drops my download all the way down to like 3 mbps and the game becomes nigh unplayable. It's the worst.

I sit around 200ms for US Servers with Battleping.. 108 download 2 upload (Must suck for people wanting to stream from Aus...)

I'll go back to FFXIV about a month before Heavensward and level Ninja, have everything 50 except that, logging and fishing.

Yeah I used to play with some Aussies on Behemoth and they would constantly complain about their 200+ Ping and I'm just thinking "Dude you picked a server across the world. You made your own bed with that."

It's not really their fault though..You can pick an EU server and get 300+, pick a US and get 200+, or pick JP and get 150+ but not understand 95% of what's being said..unless you speak Japanese. 50ms vs language barrier is a pretty easy choice.

The JP servers are mostly fine for us Prisoners from what I've seen.

I sit around 200ms for US Servers with Battleping.. 108 download 2 upload (Must suck for people wanting to stream from Aus...)

Yeah I used to play with some Aussies on Behemoth and they would constantly complain about their 200+ Ping and I'm just thinking "Dude you picked a server across the world. You made your own bed with that."

Rizzi

It could be worse. We only got WoW servers at the end of last year that were located in Australia. You know, on their tenth anniversary.

grimmiq

It could be worse. We only got WoW servers at the end of last year that were located in Australia. You know, on their tenth anniversary.

Yeah..I gave in and started playing again..for the 4th time..I've gotten to a point where I just log in to do garrison bullshit now..I'll probably sell off the account next month and break even.

They're adding some EU Data Centers for FF14 when the expansion comes out so there's that at least.

Doesn't AUS have to pass through NA to get to EU? Making new EU centers useless for us.

Oberon

Banned
I just finished cerebella story mode in prison girls.
I don't usually play finghting games, let alone the story mode of a fighting game.
But, will the ending make more sense when I finished the others story mode too?

I just introduced my 15 yr old cousin to Prison School.

Am I a bad person?

That's not suited for his age, you should have showed him berserk instead.

Rizzi

Yeah..I gave in and started playing again..for the 4th time..I've gotten to a point where I just log in to do garrison bullshit now..I'll probably sell off the account next month and break even.

I would sell my account if I could figure out how. :p

EU servers are worse than NA servers for us.

Zenfalcia

I just finished cerebella story mode in prison girls.
I don't usually play finghting games, let alone the story mode of a fighting game.
But, will the ending make more sense when I finished the others story mode too?

Prison girls huh.. ok. Yes, there are some stuff off-handedly mentioned which you might have missed for some of the story elements.

grimmiq

IIRC FFXIV got a lot better in ARR regarding boss AoEs, there were several where I could start running before the animation started and still get hit..but I had 0 problems with Titan hard when I played last.

IIRC FFXIV got a lot better in ARR regarding boss AoEs, there were several where I could start running before the animation started and still get hit..but I had 0 problems with Titan hard when I played last.

Titan was actually quite bad when the game first launched. Even with a good connection it would still hit you unless you moved early.

150+

It's not my Ping that kills me, it's my download randomly shitting itself. For some reason when my download shits itself it's like I suddenly gain 1000+ Ping.

Well I used to play with around 150 ping on league, but that's across the country. I should be around the 60-75 range on this. Plus that's one thing my internet is good for, it's slow, but it never shits itself lol

I stand corrected, I just did a ping test to the data server in Montreal, my average ping as 349 no FF14 for me.

Well I used to play with around 150 ping on league, but that's across the country. I should be around the 60-75 range on this. Plus that's one thing my internet is good for, it's slow, but it never shits itself lol

I stand corrected, I just did a ping test to the data server in Montreal, my average ping as 349 no FF14 for me.

Speed tests aren't a good judge because you're trying to test your own internet speed from connecting to a Montreal server.

Edit: I just did a test to Montreal as well. I don't get internet sometimes. lol

4069262110.png

demidar

Doesn't AUS have to pass through NA to get to EU? Making new EU centers useless for us.

It depends on how your ISP routes international packets. Optus is the fucking worst for this, because they're cheap cunts, all international packets have to go through US exchanges first, so if you wanted to connect to somewhere geographically close to Australia like Singapore or Indonesia, it would go halfway around the world then back again giving you 300+ ping. If you think "I'm just going to use US servers for games then", you're still fucked because Optus doesn't want to pay for capacity meaning everything slows to a crawl during peak hours.

grimmiq

It depends on how your ISP routes international packets. Optus is the fucking worst for this, because they're cheap cunts, all international packets have to go through US exchanges first, so if you wanted to connect to somewhere geographically close to Australia like Singapore or Indonesia, it would go halfway around the world then back again giving you 300+ ping. If you think "I'm just going to use US servers for games then", you're still fucked because Optus doesn't want to pay for capacity meaning everything slows to a crawl during peak hours.

Telstra..usually a bitch to deal with but can't really complain with 13MB/sec Steam downloads. Just tested 244ms to Montreal.

Speed tests aren't a good judge because you're trying to test your own internet speed from connecting to a Montreal server.

Edit: I just did a test to Montreal as well. I don't get internet sometimes. lol

4069262110.png

Welp heres mine. Btw I should clarify, my actual DS is 3mb/s, but it's not fiber optic so I usually get around 340kb/s actual speed.

4069271536.png

grimmiq

Telstra is bad, but a whole lot better than Optus. How close are you to the exchange? That's a pretty fast download speed.

Pretty close, less than 10min walk. When I first moved in here I was trying to figure out where it was..then realized I'd walked past it hundreds of times while out shopping..

Zenfalcia

I decided to boot up P4U and I'm glad everything is the same.
i still suck and trying to learn to use a fight stick doesn't help.

My dial up speed was actually good for the time.

This is very true, as long as I can play this game with a stable ping below 150 I'll be fine, I've never been used to steady really good ping anyway.

As long as it's playable it should be ok...
Terrible internet is better than jumpy internet because you can learn to work with a bad connection that never changes.

Consistency is the best since you can at least get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom