• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

I've know his has been posted already, but I really wanna raise the question, does bad action game combat more tolerable than aged rpgs for you guys? I really like SMT1 and the older Persona series, but I almost can't stand fighting in Raidou 1.

Turn based always feels like it aged better to me. Aside from FF1 maybe, where you just whiff your attack at nothing if the monster you targeted dies before it is a character's turn to attack. I think that was FF1 at least.

I've know his has been posted already, but I really wanna raise the question, does bad action game combat more tolerable than aged rpgs for you guys? I really like SMT1 and the older Persona series, but I almost can't stand fighting in Raidou 1.

Holy shit, my joke about him not making it past Matador was actually true.
Persona 1 and 2's combat system is fine and still holds up pretty well. People complain too much

1TAvQ6i.gif

Turn based always feels like it aged better to me. Aside from FF1 maybe, where you just whiff your attack at nothing if the monster you targeted dies before it is a character's turn to attack. I think that was FF1 at least.
The original maybe. I'm pretty sure the gba remake fixed that.

At the risk of sounding like an asshole, I seriously really can't stand the battle system in P2. I prefer SMT1, even.
To be fair I can agree that it is tedious, and IS is a bad use of that system imo. To me I really only started loving it when I got to EP. It's probably the most in-depth combat system Persona ever had, even 3 and 4's

Well, today was a somewhat eventful day. In one of my classes, I have a teacher who's a real bitch. She insults her students all the time, calling them stupid out loud, and just being a condescending asshole in general. So today, while a friend of mine was in the bathroom, he missed some information. When he got back, we were doing a worksheet. He asked the teacher what he missed, and she apparently forgot he went to the bathroom, and replied "What, are you stupid or something?" This did not go over well with my friend. He got super pissed, and was sick of her shit in general. His reply was "Who the fuck do you think you are? That because you're a teacher you can act like a bitch to your students?" A lot of yelling between the two then took place. It ended with her yelling "Go to the fucking main office!" He said that he will, and he's going to tell them how she treats her students. He did, and later that period, people came in and asked how our teacher was to the class. We all backed up what happened in class today, and how she openly insults our fellow students. By the end of the day, he's not in trouble and she's not going to be our health teacher anymore. Man, I fucking hate her. A month or two back, one of my friends had her for gym, and she lied to her and a group of other girls about where they were meeting up. She said they were meeting in the weight room, which is outside and a good 10 minutes there and back. And this wasn't an accident, she even told another student not to tell them where they were actually meeting up. When they got to where they were supposed to be, she gave them all detentions for being late. My friend fought this, and she got the higher ups to drop the detentions and got the teacher in trouble. She was able to keep her job, but she almost lost it. I'm not sure how lucky she'll be this time, though. The higher ups don't take kindly to this kind of shit.

Well, today was a somewhat eventful day. In one of my classes, I have a teacher who's a real bitch. She insults her students all the time, calling them stupid out loud, and just being a condescending asshole in general. So today, while a friend of mine was in the bathroom, he missed some information. When he got back, we were doing a worksheet. He asked the teacher what he missed, and she apparently forgot he went to the bathroom, and replied "What, are you stupid or something?" This did not go over well with my friend. He got super pissed, and was sick of her shit in general. His reply was "Who the fuck do you think you are? That because you're a teacher you can act like a bitch to your students?" A lot of yelling between the two then took place. It ended with her yelling "Go to the fucking main office!" He said that he will, and he's going to tell them how she treats her students. He did, and later that period, people came in and asked how our teacher was to the class. We all backed up what happened in class today, and how she openly insults our fellow students. By the end of the day, he's not in trouble and she's not going to be our health teacher anymore. Man, I fucking hate her. A month or two back, one of my friends had her for gym, and she lied to her and a group of other girls about where they were meeting up. She said they were meeting in the weight room, which is outside and a good 10 minutes there and back. And this wasn't an accident, she even told another student not to tell them where they were actually meeting up. When they got to where they were supposed to be, she gave them all detentions for being late. My friend fought this, and she got the higher ups to drop the detentions and got the teacher in trouble. She was able to keep her job, but she almost lost it. I'm not sure how lucky she'll be this time, though. The higher ups don't take kindly to this kind of shit.
"That's it! You're all on my shit list, effective immediately!"

Damn I really dislike bad teachers like this.
"That's it! You're all on my shit list, effective immediately!"
Has there been teachers/profs that say your on my shit list? I had a moment where a prof actually said that and it was really weird...

Squishy3

At the risk of sounding like an asshole, I seriously really can't stand the battle system in P2. I prefer SMT1, even.
It doesn't really help it has the slowest battle animations, let alone menu selections if you actually want to manage what you want your party to do.

Coupled with the enemy encounter rate... Yeesh.

My turntable came! Hip.

I'm going PC. I just want the physical goodies.

Is there a PC CE in the Americas?

Also, Gummy, I can play some DoA now. Any time you're ready, we can start a lobby.
Oh man sorry, had some issues with my back and took a nap taking some meds. Let me know if you're still free.

It doesn't really help it has the slowest battle animations, let alone menu selections if you actually want to manage what you want your party to do.

You can skip animations in the psp remake and there are items and skills to lower the encounter rate, but they really ramped it up from the base game. Its a bad PSP port.
Just scheduled a second date for the week after spring break, look at me doing the thing.
Congrats! You did the thing!

Turning off animations in PSP IS is nice, not sure if that's in the original. Menus are absolutely annoying though.
Just scheduled a second date for the week after spring break, look at me doing the thing.
Adorable

Wheres GTO when you need him?

Whatabitch.

IS:pSPmake made an easy game even easier apparently
A total bitch. She's the only teacher i've ever had who has openly insulted her students. I've had teachers who didn't like a certain student, but they weren't open about it, and it didn't apply to the entire class. Man, I hope I never see her again. I'm not gonna lie, I was close to blowing a gasket. I usually have great self control, but her shit was starting to wear thin. She's probably going to lose her job, as she was on very thin ice due to the previous incident, and like I said, the higher ups don't appreciate this kind of shit.

ultimax

I mean it IS pretty slow, its by no means perfect, but really its fine. I'm just trying to say skipping out on the game entirely because of it would be a dumb thing to do

Squishy3

You can skip animations in the psp remake and there are items and skills to lower the encounter rate, but they really ramped it up from the base game. Its a bad PSP port.

Congrats! You did the thing!
It doesn't change the fact the actual menus are still really slow and it takes forever to actually tell your party what to do if you don't just run the game on auto, compared to P3/P4 etc where it's just LIKE BAM BAM BAM BAM ONCE MORE ALL OUT ATTACK MASS DESTRUCTION AND REACHING OUT TO THE TRUTH

I mean it IS pretty slow, its by no means perfect, but really its fine. I'm just trying to say skipping out on the game entirely because of it would be a dumb thing to do

I can understand somebody skipping out on a JRPG if they find the combat tedious. Especially when the game has a really high encounter rate.
It doesn't change the fact the actual menus are still really slow and it takes forever to actually tell your party what to do if you don't just run the game on auto, compared to P3/P4 etc where it's just LIKE BAM BAM BAM BAM ONCE MORE ALL OUT ATTACK MASS DESTRUCTION AND REACHING OUT TO THE TRUTH

You forgot the best battle theme, WIPING ALL OUT.
I still have Persona 2 sitting and waiting to be played.
You should play Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. They're the best.

I should continue my DDS playthrough.

semisonic

Banned
Hahaha, I did that with Project Diva after an all nighter. I open my eyes and realize I missed like 12 notes

Man F 2nd is so good.
But holy shit is it not meant to be played on a liam tv.
Those fucking swipes do now transfer well to that control sceme. Thank god for that powerup that lets you do star notes with l and r.
Also maybe this is just me but Meiko really isn't that bad. Kaito sucks ass tho.

Top Bottom