• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Training stage debate got more heated than i thought.
Woolie had a point at first but it slowly started to fall apart as he suite it towards Pat's thought process.

I won't be surprised if they somehow LP the entirety of the Resident Evil franchise. You blink and there is another RE LP.
You don't even mind it either since Pat brings his A game.

You're missing the point, which was that concessions are already being made for the spectators so chanting 'for the players' to 'win' an arguement is asinine.
As for the stage ruining the match thing, I stated my thoughts earlier. If jumpy backgrounds or lag stages are bugging you, sure. If you can't combo without a white background, which was Woolie's actual arguement btw, then no, I don't agree...

When did Woolie say they needed training stage to be able combo? If that's his "actual argument" give me a time stamp.

And how does conforming aspects of the event for the benefit of spectators somehow invalidate the entire fact that a tournament is for the competitors? Also, aside from delaying the start of matches for commercial breaks or possible stream drops, what concessions have been made that compromise the match or force players to do things? If you look at EVO Moment 37 you see that the matches were 2 guys playing on a TV in front of a group of people. You look now, and it's still two competitors playing on a monitor in front of a group of people. Granted the spectator count is into the hundreds of thousands now, but the core remains the same.

Random Answers to Questions Pat Asks: British people have less of an "accent" when they sing because, when singing, many syllables of words are actually unvoiced completely and your brain simply fills them in for you, especially when a note is being held. Where this happens, your brain will automatically fill in the missing syllables with the way you would pronounce them.

This is also one of the main reasons people mishear lyrics in songs so often. (As someone else's brain may fill in the missing syllables with something different than yours does.)

Numb

tumblr_lvb2uh9fHW1qaixgeo1_400.gif

Skrams

Random Answers to Questions Matt Asks: Yeah, that was Rocky Rodent. A cool rodent who uses different hairsprays to get different powers. He also sonic speed physics around and fucks regular human women.

Oy, I am sorry for bringing this shitty podcast arguement back to life in this group. For one bit of different topic, saw Rick and Morty, shit is good, just as Woolie said.

When did Woolie say they needed training stage to be able combo? If that's his "actual argument" give me a time stamp.

He didn't. That was me being facetious. His arguement was that the color and blandness of training stage offered the most optimal play, and anything else was detrimental. I made this point to point out he never even brought up the lag stuff the people here brought up, in my overall point to say his arguement was shitty.

And how does conforming aspects of the event for the benefit of spectators somehow invalidate the entire fact that a tournament is for the competitors?

It doesn't, that's my point.

Also, aside from delaying the start of matches for commercial breaks or possible stream drops, what concessions have been made that compromise the match or force players to do things?

Players are forced to play in front of a crowd, aren't they? They aren't allowed to use their own TV either are they?
I know such things sound inconsequential... and it's because they are. But they do meet your criteria. Your, and Woolie's position, isn't really that no concessions should ever be made to spectators, it's really just change should be shunned, I mean that's what I'm getting from it.
I mean honestly, stage change isn't even compromising matches at least[as long as they are good stages], it's just forcing the players to do one more thing. And technically, only one of the players, since only one can pick a stage at a time.
And that said, I only support it for this one game, because it has become a bit of a problem.

Edit: Damn, Glitchesarecool, hope you didn't get the perma!

Players are forced to play in front of a crowd, aren't they? They aren't allowed to use their own TV either are they?
I know such things sound inconsequential... and it's because they are. But they do meet your criteria. Your, and Woolie's position, isn't really that no concessions should ever be made to spectators, it's really just change should be shunned, I mean that's what I'm getting from it.
I mean honestly, stage change isn't even compromising matches at least[as long as they are good stages], it's just forcing the players to do one more thing. And technically, only one of the players, since only one can pick a stage at a time.
And that said, I only support it for this one game, because it has become a bit of a problem.
I think the training stage is super ass and the music grates on me super fucking hard, but the point is that the players decide.

EVO hasn't ever forced rules like stage bans for the benefit of an audience, and I doubt they want to or maybe that they even would.the whole attitude the FGC has, or even what SF4 players have. All other rules for games with stage bans were for ones that causes gameplay issues. Training stage is a cosmetic or audio dislike on the part of spectators. Having spectators is an argument, but that's any tourney. Affecting gameplay externally isn't the same as bans within it. (And things like their own monitors wouldn't be a fair tournament standard across all setups, and you have issues like input lag)

I think it's totally fine to piss and moan, the stage is hot garbage and I wish people wouldn't pick it, but they do, and I don't think it's valid for EVO to say not to. And most of all, I doubt core players even realize this is a complaint. SF4 came out when?

I will say from the 5 minutes of SFV Beta I just tried a few hours back, that the new training stage is at least a little bit better. Maybe just cause the music is not BWAHNANANANANAHNAHNANANANAHNAHNANANBWAHNANANANA

Skrams

How many RE playthroughs have they done so far?

RE2
RE3 (now)
RE4
RE:R2
REmake? Don't know if they've completed it though.
They played an hour of REmake for the first shitstorm, but didn't complete it. It's on the list of shit to play when they have nothing. Honestly, I'm surprised they dipped into RE3 this quickly. I don't know if it's laziness making them dip into the reserves or what. I'm just afraid they're going through that backlog a bit quicker than they should. Or I'm just underestimating the amount of classics and sure winners they can play.

They played an hour of REmake for the first shitstorm, but didn't complete it. It's on the list of shit to play when they have nothing. Honestly, I'm surprised they dipped into RE3 this quickly. I don't know if it's laziness making them dip into the reserves or what. I'm just afraid they're going through that backlog a bit quicker than they should. Or I'm just underestimating the amount of classics and sure winners they can play.

It's okay, there's at least a couple of the good Silent Hills in there too probably.

Oy, I am sorry for bringing this shitty podcast arguement back to life in this group. For one bit of different topic, saw Rick and Morty, shit is good, just as Woolie said.

He didn't. That was me being facetious. His arguement was that the color and blandness of training stage offered the most optimal play, and anything else was detrimental. I made this point to point out he never even brought up the lag stuff the people here brought up, in my overall point to say his arguement was shitty.

It doesn't, that's my point.

Edit: Damn, Glitchesarecool, hope you didn't get the perma!

You have no idea what you're saying anymore. Playing on a tournament provided setup in front of a crowd is part of the tournament experience. How does that compromise the competition?

Stages are only a "problem" if the competitors find them to be a problem, not the spectators.

I wonder if Woolie and Pat are salty over the SFV beta? Everyone else is to different degrees

I'm happy it's broken!
It means I can't be sad over not being able to play the beta.

Plus aren't they going to a con so in fact this is a great blessing?

Numb

I'm happy it's broken!
It means I can't be sad over not being able to play the beta.

Plus aren't they going to a con so in fact this is a great blessing?

I wanted to play some Nash and Birdie so i am salt. They are lucky since they are busy.

Max making fun of Matt's Smash 4 skills during last night's stream. Is this a challenge?

Glitches ;_;7

I wonder if Woolie and Pat are salty over the SFV beta? Everyone else is to different degrees

Since they're away for the con, I doubt it. I'm kind of happy it got delayed personally since I got work/midterm this weekend and wouldn't have been able to play much of it. Can't wait for it to go back up. The 10 minutes I spent playing Cammy were awesome.

Numb

I was secretly wishing a fisticuffs SFV beta with the online fighting tonight.
Just another regular friday without Ultimax it seems.

Hope you get unbanned soon Glitches
I was secretly wishing a fisticuffs SFV beta with the online fighting tonight.
Just another regular friday without Ultimax it seems.
Imo, FNF wouldn't be as exciting just fighting random strangers. I hope they hold it off until an actual VS mode for the beta at least.

Numb

Hope you get unbanned soon Glitches

Imo, FNF wouldn't be as exciting just fighting random strangers. I hope they hold it off until an actual VS mode for the beta at least.

Wanted to see part two of the training stage debate in SFV while it's still fresh in their minds. It will surely be interesting.

Glitches got banned? Hope it ain't long buddy.

I think the training stage is super ass and the music grates on me super fucking hard, but the point is that the players decide.

EVO hasn't ever forced rules like stage bans for the benefit of an audience, and I doubt they want to or maybe that they even would.the whole attitude the FGC has, or even what SF4 players have. All other rules for games with stage bans were for ones that causes gameplay issues. Training stage is a cosmetic or audio dislike on the part of spectators. Having spectators is an argument, but that's any tourney. Affecting gameplay externally isn't the same as bans within it. (And things like their own monitors wouldn't be a fair tournament standard across all setups, and you have issues like input lag)

I think it's totally fine to piss and moan, the stage is hot garbage and I wish people wouldn't pick it, but they do, and I don't think it's valid for EVO to say not to. And most of all, I doubt core players even realize this is a complaint. SF4 came out when?

I will say from the 5 minutes of SFV Beta I just tried a few hours back, that the new training stage is at least a little bit better. Maybe just cause the music is not BWAHNANANANANAHNAHNANANANAHNAHNANANBWAHNANANANA

I don't really care to enforce my will on the players. I'm just saying if there was a non messy way, to make them use more than one stage... like even cycle between 3 would be cool to me... I'd be for it.
Like maybe a rule like, 'you can't pick the same stage the last guy did twice in a row', how's that?

You have no idea what you're saying anymore. Playing on a tournament provided setup in front of a crowd is part of the tournament experience. How does that compromise the competition?

Stages are only a "problem" if the competitors find them to be a problem, not the spectators.

Well, to be more precise, you have no idea what I'm saying. But luckily, I appear to have no life at all, so let me explain.
The point is simply, players give up certain 'player' rights just to play in a tournament under any circumstance, almost by definition of what a tournament is, as you just said yourself. So, saying a tournament is for the players as a road stop for debate is just plain ignorant. It is obviously for the spectators too. You're just drawing an arbitrary line in the sand.

I think this LP has been the first that just didn't interest me at all. Are they nearly done?

I kinda agree. I have been watching it though, but it hasn't be that enjoyable for me. Though I do think it picked up last episode.

I think there's about 1 or 2 episodes left of it anyway.

Skrams

I think this LP has been the first that just didn't interest me at all. Are they nearly done?
Weird, I feel like it's been pretty interesting, but maybe I'm just a sucker for the good gameplay and time shenanigans. Also Treasure. I do think it looks more fun to play than watch, but I'm kind of staying on the hook well since it's making me want to try out the game.

I don't really care to enforce my will on the players. I'm just saying if there was a non messy way, to make them use more than one stage... like even cycle between 3 would be cool to me... I'd be for it.
Like maybe a rule like, 'you can't pick the same stage the last guy did twice in a row', how's that?
Terrible.

Well, to be more precise, you have no idea what I'm saying. But luckily, I appear to have no life at all, so let me explain.
The point is simply, players give up certain 'player' rights just to play in a tournament under any circumstance, almost by definition of what a tournament is, as you just said yourself. So, saying a tournament is for the players as a road stop for debate is just plain ignorant. It is obviously for the spectators too. You're just drawing an arbitrary line in the sand.
In the context of the assertion that players should be forced to pick different stages in order to please spectator whining about being bored, it is totally valid to stress that tournaments are primarily for the tournament players not the spectators. Because the very notion of forcing certain stage picks, with no gameplay related justification, implies that spectator's desires are more important than the competitor's.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I think this Evo stage discussion has gone to the point where we may need to make thread, i would just post it on FGW but their too busy lamenting over SF5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom