• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
675c222b5df948998d0863f6b519e704.png

jontron-puking-o.gif

Anung

Un Rama
Nailed it! Fucking awesome. I've not had much to watch on the channel recently apart from ride to hell as the other stuff doesn't interest me or I want to play it myself first. So this is fucking awesome. Best friends are at their best when they play Resi games <3

I'm coming back since like thread #5 or 6 to say yay RE3. I was hoping for it back then. It's my favorite RE.

Can't wait to regret wanting them to play it once Pat starts shitting on it because it isn't RE2.

Golden Age (2012-Still Going)

Been listening to the podcast lately, and I noticed they recycle some of their sponsor spots (especially for Casper mattress) which is kinda lame cause I want them to keep making new bullshit for their spots but whatevs, just an observation

Golden Age (2012-Still Going)

Been listening to the podcast lately, and I noticed they recycle some of their sponsor spots (especially for Casper mattress) which is kinda lame cause I want them to keep making new bullshit for their spots but whatevs, just an observation

I was going to bring that up actually. The mattress one this podcast is the only one I remember hearing again. Then I started to get paranoid and think they may have always been reusing them.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yo, I aint gonna lie, after looking at the devil's third japanese trailer, it looks like the good kind of jank, like i can see myself falling inlove with the slide mechanic.

mothafucka slid up the fucking stairs. That's video games right there.

ZETOWj2.jpg

Yo, I aint gonna lie, after looking at the devil's third japanese trailer, it looks like the good kind of jank, like i can see myself falling inlove with the slide mechanic.

Full LP coming soon
???

Hearing Pat mention stuff about the Emergency Roll in RE3 suddenly makes me excited for SGDQ because Resident Evil 3 is on the docket and now I'm interested to see how that gets used in the run. Good first episode for this LP too.

Full LP coming soon
???
God I hope so. I don't know if it could reach Ride to Hell levels of broken, but I hope there's some entertaining out of that campaign that they would give it a look.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

ZETOWj2.jpg
Some motherfuckers always trying slide uphill.

Hearing Pat mention stuff about the Emergency Roll in RE3 suddenly makes me excited for SGDQ because Resident Evil 3 is on the docket and now I'm interested to see how that gets used in the run. Good first episode for this LP too.

Oh hey, that's in like three days, eh? Good stuff.

The combination of EVO and SGDQ does a lot to make the summer release lull less lame.

LTTP, but finally listened to the podcast.
Glad Woolie and Pat are as hype for DBSuper as I am. Listening to them nerd out about dbz stuff is awesome.

However that stage arguement was just as annoying as you guys said. I'm on Pat's side on that one. I feel SF4's abundance of terrible stages led to the annoying trend of only using training stage, and it's a trend that needs to be broken. Sure, the moving elements a of a stage messing you up, I can see. But just color change? That's way too ocd.

LTTP, but finally listened to the podcast.
Glad Woolie and Pat are as hype for DBSuper as I am. Listening to them nerd out about dbz stuff is awesome.

However that stage arguement was just as annoying as you guys said. I'm on Pat's side on that one. I feel SF4's abundance of terrible stages led to the annoying trend of only using training stage, and it's a trend that needs to be broken. Sure, the moving elements a of a stage messing you up, I can see. But just color change? That's way too ocd.

Pat's argument starts to break down when they don't talk about how some stages of USF4 have some lag in them (I think the SFxT stages). SF4 stages just have way too much going on inside of them, especially compared to other fighters, to have random be a viable option, so players just default to training stage because its something both players can quickly agree to play on without discussion to slow down the sets. I can see Pat's point about wanting to mix it up, but it just wouldn't work especially this late into the game's life, on SF4 specifically.

Like Woolie said, tourney's are for the players, not the spectators. Let them play on whatever they want.

Pat's argument starts to break down when they don't talk about how some stages of USF4 have some lag in them (I think the SFxT stages). SF4 stages just have way too much going on inside of them, especially compared to other fighters, to have random be a viable option, so players just default to training stage because its something both players can quickly agree to play on without discussion to slow down the sets. I can see Pat's point about wanting to mix it up, but it just wouldn't work especially this late into the game's life, on SF4 specifically.

Like Woolie said, tourney's are for the players, not the spectators. Let them play on whatever they want.

I think a reasonable compromise would be for Capcom to release a "tournament random" rotation of stages that excludes Jurassic Park and Wesker's Grave. (A better compromise would be Capcom not making these stages to begin with, but that ship has sailed.) If it's something fans are serious about, they should request it during SF5 beta (and make sure to complain a lot about bad stages, if there are any).

I disagree. I'm not versed on what stages have lag and which don't in sf4, but I believe there should be a priority to have a good variety with the ones that do work right.
That said, if training stage is actually the only stage without lag, I submit... and holy crap that's some shit.
But if there's, say, five other stages that work just fine, and nobody wants to use them because of just color preference, I feel that's some over- focus that should be looked at.
Anyways, this doesn't seem to be an issue in other fighting games, so I'm not too concerned about it, I'm not even a big fan of sf4 in most respects. I'm mainly just worried sfV may fix the lag and other issues, but we'll end up in this same boat just because. Or that this one stage thing will catch on with other games.

The only actual point is the players choose where they want to fight. Players can choose obnoxious costumes the same way. EVO doesn't ban anything in game, players just choose what they want.

USF4's stages suck in various ways, from a game play perspective and visual obnoxiousness being a few reasons, but that's irrelevant. It only explains their choices as being that capcpom made bad stages and a useful stage is boring.

EVO isn't for spectators. It's for the people playing.

EVO isn't for spectators. It's for the people playing.

This is actually the part of Woolie's arguement that annoyed me the most.
Sure, it's for the players. Cause if the players decide they have stage fright, they clear out the audience, and not stream the match for instance right? It's obvious it's not 100% about the players already, and using that statement to write off the complaint, as if inserting stage variety will completely sell out the FGC, is just a dodge and one that Pat should have called out himself.

Sure, it's for the players. Cause if the players decide they have stage fright, they clear out the audience, and not stream the match for instance right? It's obvious it's not 100% about the players already, and using that statement to write off the complaint, as if inserting stage variety will completely sell out the FGC, is just a dodge and one that Pat should have called out himself.

Pat doesn't actually know much about the tournament organization (or tournament organization in general, I think). That's why he got so pissed off: he realized not very far into the debate that he came completely unprepared and it didn't really matter whether he was right or wrong, he was going to lose on the basis of not having reasonably prepared arguments or sufficient knowledge of the subject matter.

He probably went home, did a bunch of research, then called Woolie on the phone and shouted at him for a few hours. (That, or went home, completely forgot about it, and played FFXIV until he passed out from low blood-sugar.)

Pat doesn't actually know much about the tournament organization (or tournament organization in general, I think). That's why he got so pissed off: he realized not very far into the debate that he came completely unprepared and it didn't really matter whether he was right or wrong, he was going to lose on the basis of not having reasonably prepared arguments or sufficient knowledge of the subject matter.

He probably went home, did a bunch of research, then called Woolie on the phone and shouted at him for a few hours. (That, or went home, completely forgot about it, and played FFXIV until he passed out from low blood-sugar.)

Well.. honestly, if I'm coming down on anyone here, it's Woolie and his love of using self righteous buzz phrases to shut down a discussion
superman's a genre.
Liam's hockey rink metaphors were kind of annoying too...But, it's just a bad conversation. I'm not really hating on any of them, I just wished they did it a little better.

Yeah, Liam's hockey rink metaphor is moronic because it's not like there's a single hockey rink that all the teams have decided is the One True Rink and they all make pilgrimage there to have games. Teams go on the road and play at different rinks, the same as any other sport. There's a standardized shape to the actual playing surface, just like most fighting game stages have standardized playable widths and heights, but they do in fact play on rinks with different visual elements in the backgrounds. (Different audience seating setups, different banners, different jumbo-tron arrangements, different graphics on the ice itself, etc.)

But, he's Liam. It's kind of his job to present an untenable position and then just keep repeating it until everyone tunes him out completely.

Just finally getting around to listening to the podcast and that particular discussion...I really can't muster anything to say about it because as far as my opinions on fighting game stages go, I barely give a shit about USF4 and the training stage shit they're talking about only really applies to that game.

Plus I play Virtua Fighter and DOA, and while both games have different goals, their stages at least come off as actual interactive spaces and not just fucking backdrops.

Spectators are there to observe the competition. The Competitors are not simply there to perform for the viewers.

The tournament is about the players. All the pomp and production is for the viewers but the players should not be forced to compromise their match simply because some spectators might get bored. That's stupid.

RedBoot

I haven't played RE3 in like a decade, but my memory of the dodge ability is that it made the game super-easy, since I could use it all the time. I don't remember it being tough to use at all. Maybe I'm misremembering it? I always figured that was why they never brought it back in any of the other classic games, it was too good.

Also: Pat forgot to store the ink ribbon at the end of the episode. Inventory is hard. :p

Edzi

Just got through the stage argument in the podcast, and wow, none of them seem to know how to make a coherent argument. They all had valid points, but each one of them just took their positions too far to the point where it's hard to really side with any of them.

I disagree. I'm not versed on what stages have lag and which don't in sf4, but I believe there should be a priority to have a good variety with the ones that do work right.
That said, if training stage is actually the only stage without lag, I submit... and holy crap that's some shit.
But if there's, say, five other stages that work just fine, and nobody wants to use them because of just color preference, I feel that's some over- focus that should be looked at.
Anyways, this doesn't seem to be an issue in other fighting games, so I'm not too concerned about it, I'm not even a big fan of sf4 in most respects. I'm mainly just worried sfV may fix the lag and other issues, but we'll end up in this same boat just because. Or that this one stage thing will catch on with other games.

Nah, training stage isn't the only one without lag. Its why they also play stuff like the boat stage too. And its not an issue in most other fighters because most have other ways around it, either by having the option to select static stages like I think SG and MKX has, having universally agreed upon stages like Smash does, or just having nice but non distracting stages like KI does.

I personally fault Capcom more than the players for having to see training stage over and over again in tourneys because most of SF4 when it comes to stages is just a mess whether its the distraction movement or the inherent lag. I hope they're looking to mix it up for SF5 by having a variety of stages good for tourneys.

Spectators are there to observe the competition. The Competitors are not simply there to perform for the viewers.

The tournament is about the players. All the pomp and production is for the viewers but the players should not be forced to compromise their match simply because some spectators might get bored. That's stupid.

You're missing the point, which was that concessions are already being made for the spectators so chanting 'for the players' to 'win' an arguement is asinine.
As for the stage ruining the match thing, I stated my thoughts earlier. If jumpy backgrounds or lag stages are bugging you, sure. If you can't combo without a white background, which was Woolie's actual arguement btw, then no, I don't agree.

Yeah, Liam's hockey rink metaphor is moronic because it's not like there's a single hockey rink that all the teams have decided is the One True Rink and they all make pilgrimage there to have games. Teams go on the road and play at different rinks, the same as any other sport. There's a standardized shape to the actual playing surface, just like most fighting game stages have standardized playable widths and heights, but they do in fact play on rinks with different visual elements in the backgrounds. (Different audience seating setups, different banners, different jumbo-tron arrangements, different graphics on the ice itself, etc.)

But, he's Liam. It's kind of his job to present an untenable position and then just keep repeating it until everyone tunes him out completely.

Lol, yes. My thought was do they keep a bunch of colorful rinks in the shed that are only allowed to be used for preseason games too?

I personally fault Capcom more than the players for having to see training stage over and over again in tourneys because most of SF4 when it comes to stages is just a mess whether its the distraction movement or the inherent lag. I hope they're looking to mix it up for SF5 by having a variety of stages good for tourneys.

That's definitely the best resolution for everyone. Hopefully that gets communicated successfully through the beta while there's still time for them to change their approach.

The point is the tourney rules have never told players about what they can and can't do, all the game specific rules that exist are from a community agreement.
You're missing the point, which was that concessions are already being made for the spectators so chanting 'for the players' to 'win' an arguement is asinine.
As for the stage ruining the match thing, I stated my thoughts earlier. If jumpy backgrounds or lag stages are bugging you, sure. If you can't combo without a white background, which was Woolie's actual arguement btw, then no, I don't agree.
There are no such concessions that affect the match in the way banning costumes or stages would. Players choose that for other games, SF's community often chooses training stage only because they want to, and to force them to change for EVO is a step EVO doesn't take.

The reasoning of why they take training stage doesn't even matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom