• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of talking online, I was playing COD with my headphones and dubstep going, having a great time with my group of knockaround guys who all had each other's back. I took my headset off and immediately heard a string of racial slurs.

I was crushed that my brothers could do such a thing.

Speaking of talking online, I was playing COD with my headphones and dubstep going, having a great time with my group of knockaround guys who all had each other's back. I took my headset off and immediately heard a string of racial slurs.

I was crushed that my brothers could do such a thing.

In a COD game > surprised by racism

Mostly this, but correct me if im wrong, I thought the people who call the cops relay the game chat or something to the police and make them sound like a threat? i just assumed this because all the videos i've seen usually had Call of Duty/Battlefield players getting swatted. Talking to people while playing a war game can sound really bad out of context. "detonate the bomb", "i got a new gun" ect.

A lot of the time they will call the police and say they will do X and describe their location along with the address. There are a lot of informative videos on Swatting tho.

Mostly this, but correct me if im wrong, I thought the people who call the cops relay the game chat or something to the police and make them sound like a threat? i just assumed this because all the videos i've seen usually had Call of Duty/Battlefield players getting swatted. Talking to people while playing a war game can sound really bad out of context. "detonate the bomb", "i got a new gun" ect.

I don't play those games with a headset anymore once I heard that you could be swatted.

I've never played any multiplayer game and desired to be social and have a mic on or text chat. I might've if I'd ever played an MMO, but my first action playing Halo and CoD was always to mute everyone.

Friends are fine, but the games we play together are generally not ones that would use general chat.
And then some other people press F to pay respect.
Press F to cut off head.

Zenfalcia

No, they drop an anonymous tip that someone is armed and doing something like a hostage situation or something. They sometimes do it on stream so that they get instant satisfaction of their deed. I think it's just the extreme fanbase of those people? I really don't understand their mentality.

I don't play those games with a headset anymore once I heard that you could be swatted.

... You can only be swatted if they know enough of your information to call the police on you. No Joe blow can just ring up the police and say Dok is decimating people in his house with guns, send swats.

Or are you not wearing headphones so you can hear swats coming in? I don't know where you're going with this.

They were my brothers! We had each other's backs! I thought they were better than that!

You must've had the wrong impression of them then. Cod brings out the "worst" out of some people..

Jman014

I've never played any multiplayer game and desired to be social and have a mic on or text chat. I might've if I'd ever played an MMO, but my first action playing Halo and CoD was always to mute everyone.

Friends are fine, but the games we play together are generally not ones that would use general chat.

Press F to cut off head.

Yeah use Teamspeak or Vent. Forget general chat.

Squishy3

No, they drop an anonymous tip that someone is armed and doing something like a hostage situation or something. They sometimes do it on stream so that they get instant satisfaction of their deed. I think it's just the extreme fanbase of those people? I really don't understand their mentality.

... You can only be swatted if they know enough of your information to call the police on you. No Joe blow can just ring up the police and say Dok is decimating people in his house with guns, send swats.

Or are you not wearing headphones so you can hear swats coming in? I don't know where you're going with this.
He doesn't want to piss off anyone on Xbox Live who might do the legwork to find out his information so that they can sick SWAT on him.

Zenfalcia

Also, false reports of crimes, are crimes. The police can punish the people that make these calls by tracing the call back to the source.

Someone posted about the fine being $5,000 with possible jail time.

If they are stupid, which some are, they don't use a pay phone or something untraceable.

He doesn't want to piss off anyone on Xbox Live who might do the legwork to find out his information so that they can sick SWAT on him.

Isn't it usually people who are fairly well known who get swatted? Or do i have the wrong impression? I don't think there's enough people to actually do that, but that's based on assumptions.

ultimax

A lot of the time they will call the police and say they will do X and describe their location along with the address. There are a lot of informative videos on Swatting tho.
thats some intense shit. that really is messed up

Thats crazy. But its not like people just give out there info all willy nilly right? I still wouldnt keep a mic plugged in tho

Exactly.

Someone knowledgable to initiate a swat call is someone knowledgable enough to also find out via IP where my exact home is.

Exactly.

Someone knowledgable to initiate a swat call is someone knowledgable enough to also find out via IP where my exact home is.
Lol, that's not really how that works, but I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong to be paranoid. Just don't worry about it and don't use your mic if you don't want to.

Lol, that's not really how that works, but I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong to be paranoid. Just don't worry about it and don't use your mic if you don't want to.

You just never know what someone else is capable of. Living in NY and seeing/questioning the mental capacity of people can make someone paranoid. It breeds neurosis.

thats some intense shit. that really is messed up

Thats crazy. But its not like people just give out there info all willy nilly right? I still wouldnt keep a mic plugged in tho

People have been dox'ed before over smaller things than being a streamer. If you take a picture with your phone and post it to your facebook, I can just grab that picture and look at the metadata to see where the picture was taken. If you took the pic in your room, for example, I now know where your house lives.

Also, if you're a streamer and you're in an office like that guy from RoosterTeeth(?) people can probably look up where you work fairly easily.

Shit's fucked up yo, but staying anonymous on the internet is a privilige that only you yourself can protect (at least, as far as the general public is concerned, the NSA will still find you if they have a good reason to). It's why I didn't post pics when this thread turned into SelfieGAF. Heck, I don't even have pics on Facebook and I (almost) never give up my real age, even tho I'm old enough to look up adult content now.

People can't find out where you live if you're using a mic, tho. Unless you yell out where you live into the mic.

Oberon

Banned
Oberon stood up and declared that his penis was, in fact, the largest of them all, much to the aghast expression of the school principal who simply uttered, "The women's virginity is at risk.."

Oberon walked to the front of his classroom, the eyes of the student body trained on his every step. The projector was hooked up to the DVD player prior to his appearance, some scrub had left it set up after demonstrating his less than adequate Ultimax skills. Murmurs began arise from the mouths of those watching him fumble with the device, but were quickly silenced when they realized it wasn't a movie he put on but a music CD.

"DO THE IMPOSSIBLE, SEE THE INVISIBLE" blared out from the projector, shattering the windows of the now insignificantly small classroom.

"The women's virginity is at risk.." was all the teacher could muster in response.

No context needed. It sounds like you had to listen to a great school presentation.

8ywi1kd.png

Should I tell that 84 % of my class is female?

Bravo!
You know what? To thank you, I will do somthing that I would normaly NEVER do!
Take a selfie! Oh god I hate myself now! But here's a thumbs up
http://i.imgur.com/eaKQRpM.jpg

What a horrible picture, it is in a bad quality and even my glasses aren't in the right place...

ultimax

People have been dox'ed before over smaller things than being a streamer. If you take a picture with your phone and post it to your facebook, I can just grab that picture and look at the metadata to see where the picture was taken. If you took the pic in your room, for example, I now know where your house lives.

Also, if you're a streamer and you're in an office like that guy from RoosterTeeth(?) people can probably look up where you work fairly easily.

Shit's fucked up yo, but staying anonymous on the internet is a privilige that only you yourself can protect (at least, as far as the general public is concerned, the NSA will still find you if they have a good reason to). It's why I didn't post pics when this thread turned into SelfieGAF. Heck, I don't even have pics on Facebook and I (almost) never give up my real age, even tho I'm old enough to look up adult content now.

People can't find out where you live if you're using a mic, tho. Unless you yell out where you live into the mic.

Im not like super duper paranoid about it or anything, and i dont have a problem sharing pics with friends online and stuff like that, BUT i once saw someone get "dox'ed" because of a stupid twitter argument. its just that i dont know that much about how these things work, so id rather not mess with it

Zenfalcia

Im not like super duper paranoid about it or anything, and i dont have a problem sharing pics with friends online and stuff like that, BUT i once saw someone get "dox'ed" because of a stupid twitter argument. its just that i dont know that much about how these things work, so id rather not mess with it

First of all, do you know what doxing is or what it does?

It's understandable that you dont want to anger people who might potentially harm you.

Bravo!
What a handsome motherfucker.
Don't worry about the glasses, I have the problem way too often.

A lot of times my glasses get really crooked and I don't bother fixing them. It really doesn't matter as long as I can see.

#TeamGlasses

Zenfalcia

A lot of times my glasses get really crooked and I don't bother fixing them. It really doesn't matter as long as I can see.

#TeamGlasses

Isnt it when people get your personal info and just throw it out there so anyone can see it?

No, not really. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

Link if you want to read up on it. Basically, it's over loading your internet by sending tons of useless messages. It's not a great way of phrasing it, but it's super simplified.

Or did you specifically mean doxing? I was thinking of DDos.. :p

Hey guys. Getting my 2ds later and im gonna be ready to play smash!

Smash Wii U is coming out in 2 weeks, though.

Isnt it when people get your personal info and just throw it out there so anyone can see it?

Not really. DoS or DDoS is when you attempt to make a machine or network resource unavailable to its intended users.

Edit: Oh, Dox. I read it as Dos. Doxing is basically what you just said.

Okingjrr

Should I tell that 84 % of my class is female?
Bravo!

What a horrible picture, it is in a bad quality and even my glasses aren't in the right place...

Tell those 84% that you're dick already fucked the universe. That'll get em excited to jump on it.

Archgan

I have a question about the Fate/ stuff. I'm currently watching the new Fate/Zero but I'm wondering which version of Fate/Stay Night I should watch.

Zenfalcia

I have a big huge stupid grin on my face and I'm hoping nobody is seeing my screen.

I may or may not have a few JoJo pose pictures.

S-so shameless!
Are you going to post it or not post it?

I have a question about the Fate/ stuff. I'm currently watching the new Fate/Zero but I'm wondering which version of Fate/Stay Night I should watch.

Would you want to play/read through the VN?

ultimax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom