• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Ghouls'N Ghosts (Wii U VC) |OT| Prepare To Die Edition

Sojiro

I accidentally picked up a weapon, and I watched in horror as my mega shit bracelet flew out of me and into a hole. Never showed up again.

Augh that is the absolute worst, I feel for you man, luckily I have avoided doing that all the way through so far.

I beat it last night! Got my Miiverse post about it deleted for posting a screenshot of the credits. Some people are too sensitive.
Congrats on the win!

The miiverse spoiler tag is redundant in the case of screenshots. A person would have to choose to view it, so spoilage from the credits of an ancient game is their own fault!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Didn't see this had an OT. I fought my way through the game a week ago (twice...). I didn't really have the nerve to tackle this fair and square, so I used a lot of Restore Points. But it's a fun game, it's the first time I really played and I liked it. The jumping mechanic is just something I will never get used to, I lost a lot of lives just because I missed a platform.

I seem to remember that happening in the original too, especially with the bow and lots of missiles/enemies on-screen.

Absolutely. It also took a dive when those seed pods or whatever would burst in the briar/thicket section of stage 1.

I love this game, once of my favorites, but I'm just now realizing how awful that box art is.

ugly

I just played this game for the first time - got it on Wii VC.
I got to the lvl 7 Boss for the second time and beat him once, but didn't have the bracelet so I got sent back to the start of map 6. I found the bracelet... and lost.
WHYYYYY??!!ffllkkc//:;;ERROR

I was surprised at the quality of this game. I'd heard of it, but only in passing. Playing it, I see this is one of the unsung, brilliant titles of the SNES era. I grew up with a N64 and beyond so I missed a lot of these.

The presentation is very consistent and cohesive which instantly raises the respect it commands. Atmospheric, epic musical compositions, nice graphics once you get used to the style...

The game-play reminds me of the Souls series. Progress is very methodical and calculated. You have a simple move-set that does not comply to physics, so every time you press a button you know what to expect. That dynamic makes the game very fair - so the level of brutal punishment is exhilarating. Knowing that your survival hinges directly on your ability to make quick decisions and executions is very satisfying. It's rare that a game incites adrenaline in me these days, but I got that a few times in situations where I'd died a lot, and the next few moves determined whether I'd be moving forth once again or heading back to where I started.

Again I see parallels with the souls mechanic in the Souls titles. There's the leaping forward in brave strides, and on successful progression, the manic fortification of the progress you just made. In Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts however the pattern of pressure is different. It builds each time you get closer to the next checkpoint, rather than on your own discretion (in the Souls games you can play "chicken" with the frequency at which you cash in your souls. I'd give the Souls titles the edge of being better mechanically at what its attempting to be, since it places even more of the fault on the player if they screw up. I don't know why I'm giving higher praise to the more masochistic mechanic... I guess that's hardcore gamers for you.)

Princess Prin Prin must be a lovely gal for Arthur to do all this mad shit.

Top Bottom